Goth Girl and Emo Boy

Savannah Discovering Powers

Here I am, sitting on a swing in the rain. It soaks my long black hair, whips into my big, icy-blue eyes. I am officially known as a freak-only Goth in the school. I just think I'm a normal teenager, nothing special at all.
Well.
Not really.

Lately, weird things have been happening to me. Really weird things. Not the whole growing-up stuff you're parents tell you about in a secret whisper. No, strange, odd things that I can't tell anyone else. Things like magic powers.

Okay, so I know what you're going to say. You'll wrinkle up your nose and let out a snort of laughter and make crash remarks about Harry Potter, Gandalf and fairy wands. But this is different. I know. I can feel it. I can't conjour money out of thin air, or make people's head explode.

No.
I attract animals.
Yes, weird. I talk to them.

And no, I'm not on drugs. I talk to animals. It happened by accident at first. I was whistling something nonescript, and a bat fell down the chimney and into the fire place. I was the only one in the room, and I gave a little scream. The bat got up, and it looked at me. Properly looked at me, little black eyes blinking, head to one side. I told it to shoo and it shook it's head at me, in a scornful way, mocking me. So I stomped over to it, picked it up very gently and threw it back up the chimney, and it flew away.

I thought it was a coinsidence.

Then it happened again-and again and again. Everytime I whistled or sang absently, a bat would somehow find me. And always looked as if it understood or teased me.
When I told them to go, they went. When I asked one what it was doing there( it was pure daylight in the kitchen of my grandmother's house) it raised an eyebrow and gave a little sigh, as if to say 'I know something you don't.'

It progressed from bats to ravens-big black birds with yellow eyes and sharp beaks. They flew down to me, and gave the same scorning looks like the bats. It was strange. I was followed by flocks of these sinister birds and bats, and I talked to them.

I start whistling as I swing gently, a totally different song. I soon learnt that the bats and ravens had different songs-dark and gloomy for the ravens, high and fast for the bats. No animals, not for this song. I carry on whistling, tip back on my swing and push myself forward. When I tip back up, I almost fall off my swing.

Sitting in the middle of the grass is a sleek black rabbit, rocked back on it's hind legs, staring at me questionly with it's hazy eyes.
Not more.

"Go,"I say, flapping my hands at it."Shoo!"

The rabbit sighs. Yes, the rabbit sighs irritably and rolls it's eyes. Like a human.It turns it's back to me, and hops away into the hedge.

These animals like moaning at me.

I get up off the swing, and walk home. I find myself whistling again, and a raven swoops down from nowhere and perchs on top of a postbox, evil and menacing.

"Go.I don't want you,"I mutter. It hisses, opens it's beak and flaps it's huge wings, flying off up into the clouds.