Goth Girl and Emo Boy

Planning Revenge

^ Kayleigh's Pov^

" It seems the Chavians have found out about our plan, and in a way to stop you, they have targeted your families," Glemius explains. He, Tarja and Scorpio are standing at the end of the table, while the rest of us are sitting at the other end. Czaree looks as if she's about to cry, while Savannah's mouth is hard and set in a stubborn pout. I am watching Alex. He is hunched in his chair, rocking himself, tears still trickling down his cheeks.

" One of the Leader's Advisors, Vile, tracked down your sister, Alex," Glemius continues. " Now, we shall continue our training in the other Grand Hall down the corridor-it's not safe outside. You may go now."

Savannah and Czaree wander off, but Alex stays where he is.

" Do my parents know?" he says, his voice high and choked.

"They think your little sister got murdered by a human, " Tarja says, almost kindly.

Alex gets from the table, and runs down the corridor. He slams the door of his room shut in my face.

" Alex, please, it's only me."

He doesn't answer.

" Alex, don't do anything stupid, " I beg. " Please?"

No answer.

I go to bed and I think of phoning my family, just in case.

I don't.

In the middle of the night, I get up to go to the bathroom. As I'm walking past the fitness room, I hear somebody hitting the punch bag. I push open the door and go in.

Alex is standing in front of a punch bag, punching and kicking and clawing at it. Tears are pouring down his cheeks and his pale body is shaking in his baggy black shorts.

" Oh, Alex, " I whisper. He slumps, still crying, and I lead him away and sit down next to him.

" She was four, Kay," he chokes. " Four. She did nothing wrong. She went to ballet lessons, she smelt of strawberries, she rescued stray cats. She was innocent, and it's my fault she's dead."

"It's not your fault, Al. No way."

" It is! If I hadn't have come away......she's dead, Kayleigh.I'm scared, y'know? Who next, my mom, my dad?"

" I'm scared too. I've got three little sisters."

" I need revenge," Alex says, looking up with shiny dark eyes. " I need to fight back. When this war happens, I'm gonna find that Vile and I'm gonna make him pay."

" But Al-"

He sighs and leans against me and I stroke his dark hair and luminous skin. We stay there for a long time, thinking.

I hate my sisters, but if any of them got killed, I would never forgive myself.