Goth Girl and Emo Boy

Bats into the Light

* Savannah's Pov*

We practise and practise and practise our powers. It feels as though we should be in Hogwarts or something. I feel like a witch, though that isn't very complimentry.

I get new powers-I can bring things back to life. I can only do small animals and plants but it's a start. I can summon wolves now, beautiful grey creatures with yellow eyes and bared teeth. I can do a sonic-scream which meddles with people's minds, and my eyes can turn red and yellow and put them in trances.

I practise proper fighting too. I go down to the Training Room and take up kick boxing, fencing and sword's fighting. All those epic battles in the garden with Oli using plastic Light Sabers has paid off.

I research Gothians too. There is a huge library full of wonderful books, and I take them down to the Hall and read. It gets quite hard to concentrate sometimes. Of course, it's down to Alex and Kayleigh.

Alex's new apperence has brought back the old Alex-big-head, stupid, introspectiv, obtrusive and self-absorbed. Kayleigh adores it. She's always giggling and squealing like some kind of demented bird, drifting round him and perching on his knee. It makes me sick.

It is a normal day, and we have just got back to the Hall from training. My arms ache from fencing and all I want to do is read.

I pull my hair from the ponytail, prop the book against the jug and read. I forget to eat, and Czaree sits, silently, beside me. She is surprising good at fencing too, but is extremly modest about it.

I hear giggling and roll my eyes as Alex and Kayleigh saunter in, together. They swan over to the big black throne at the head of the table and Alex pulls Kayleigh onto his knee. They tickle each other, and I close the book angrily.

" What is your problem?"Alex sighs. I roll my eyes again.

" It's sickening. And we're here to fight-"

" Maybe for you, Goth Girl," he sneers. " But I don't want to be here. I'm only staying so I can track down that Vile and make him pay."

" Yes, tragic. If you really want to get revenge, you should train harder, though I daresay revenge is not the sweetest thing."

" Why do you have to talk really posh all the time? Honestly, just calm down. The Leaders will find a way to defeat these Chavians; but they are Chavians so they'll probably knock themselves out."

Kayleigh sniggers and I shove my book in my bag, standing up.

" If Chavians were so stupid, how did they concour three races?" I answer back. " They have cunning minds."

" If you love them so much, why don't you marry one?"

" Just shut up, Alex," I groan, and walk angrily back to my room. I start to read again, and I do until we all get called back to the Great Hall.

Glemius, Scorpio and Tarja are standing at the head of the table, looking very formal and serious.

" The band is creeping slowly forward, Leader's, and we think you have trained extremly hard. We have put together armies of Gothians, Emoians and Chavians who will help you, but you will lead and take back our people," Glemius sighs. He looks a lot older today, and very grave and subdued.

" Next week, we shall go down to the Chavians city and we shall have the battle. We may not survive, but you have our thanks," Scorpio finishs. " Now you need your rest for training tomorrow-bed."

We go back to our rooms and I lie in bed, thinking. I may never see my family again. I may never get to see my parents grow old, or my little brother grow up.

What a waste.

I can't sleep, and I toss and turn all night. I get up to get a glass of water, but I get side-tracked.

I walk past Glemius's grand office and see the light still on. I knock on the door and go in. Glemius is sitting at his black raven desk with his big silver goblet in front of him. He looks very weak and tired.

" Glemius?"

" Ah, Savannah. Come in, come in," he smiles weakly. I sit in front of his desk and he carries the goblet to the corner.

" Are you alright, Glemius?"

" I'm just tired, Savannah," he sighs. " Very tired. I'm very old. I need my rest."

I frown. I hope he doesn't mean what I think.

" Tomorrow, Savannah, my window will appear on the wall, along with the other Leader's and it will be up to you to carry on the Gothian's and see them safe."

" Glemius, no-"

" I'm dying, Savannah, and it will happen tonight. You have trained well, you will do me proud. Look out for the young Punkian for me-she needs some reassurence. And try not to feud with the Emoians. A time will come, sooner than you think, when you will need to help them because it's right."

Glemius scrapes back his chair, goes over to one big window. He opens it,and a flood of silvery moonlight seeps in. He stands in the pool of it, smiles, and closes his eyes. We wait, and slowly, his body turns into a flock of small black bats and they fly out of the window.

I pass the Hall as I go back to my room, and already there is a new window in there, with Glemius portraied in the stained glass. He smiles, nods his head, and I go back to my room. I perch on my window seat, open up the window and whistle. A bat flies in, and I stroke it absentmindly before cupping it in my hands and letting it fly free.