Goth Girl and Emo Boy

These hands, stained red

*Czaree's POV*

Later that day, I stagger back to our Leaders tent on the boarders. I am tired, injured and blood stained. I just want to sleep.

Savvie and me sit in the main part of the tent in silence. Scorpio sits with us too and we think in the quiet. Aaronio died during battle and so did a lot of our people. And Alex...

I can't actually believe he's dead. Alex, strong, loud emo boy who flirted and laughed. He seemed indestructable. And now....

Kayleigh is in his part of the tent with his body. She is still talking to him-she's been in there ever since he got killed.

Talking to a dead boy.

Savannah has his blood smeared across her skin, her hands. Her palms and fingers are crimson from all the grief. She is looking at her hands as if she's never seen them before, blank-eyed. It's scary.

I'm scared.

"Same tomorrow," says Scorpio, head bowed, pink spikes indescent in these tragic times. "Until we win."

"What if we don't?" I whisper. He freezes, looks up with his big, yellow eyes.

"I don't know."

Some sort of cold dread sets in my stomach. I feel out of place, spun out. Worthless. Doing nothing.

I get to my feet and go to see Kayleigh. I pull back the curtain of the tent to find her crouched in front of Alex's body. He looks so pale, so cold, scarlet streaked across his face, staining his clothes. Kayleigh's head snaps up, her eyes blazing.

"Get out, Czaree! I want to be alone!"

I ignore her and tip-toe further into the room.

"I'm sorry, Kay."

"Sorry?!"she cries. "What good will that ever do?! Alex is dead! Nothing will bring him back! Nothing!"

She bows her head, her soft hair falling away from her pale neck.

"I'm sorry, Kay."

I back out of the room, leaving her in her grief.