Goth Girl and Emo Boy

Said The Raven: 'Nevermore'

^Savannah's Pov^

It is a normal, sunny day, and my little brother has somehow dragged me into the garden to play football with him.

Nice.

I hate it, and stand with my arms folded, my long black cape sweeping the floor, making a lame attemp to kick the ball. It sucks, badly, and I need to find a way out.

" Savvie!" wails Oli, my brother, stamping angrily. The ball rolls past me and bounces off the fence. I give it a withering glare, wishing that my powers would result in it exploding.

" Play properly! You promised you would play, you promised, you promised!"

Oli is yelling in his loud, obnoxious, seven-year-old voice, hands balled into fists and arms straight at his sides. His black hair is sticking to his forehead, and his blue eyes are flashing dangerously with fake tears.

" I only promised because of the price, " I mutter. My parents said if I didn't play with my brother I wouldn't get the new Korn album, and I have waited a long time for that. If my brother mucks up my chances of getting my hands on it, his punishment will be death, no questions asked.

" Just play, " sighs Oli, and I realize it's moments like these when we really are like each other, no matter how much we both stubbornly deny it. I rescue the ball and kick it over, hard, so it bounces across the garden and ends up in the bin. Oli scowls and dives in after it, and emerges with the rescued ball, frowning horridly.

" Get you back!" he jeers, and kicks the ball as hard as he can so it lands in next door's garden.

" Oliver, you little brat!" I yell.

" My name's Oli! Now go get the ball."

I swear that brat has the future of a con artist. I go out of our garden and into next door's. There's a girl standing there, holding the ball. She's around my age, and she looks a tiny bit scared.

" Sorry, " I say. " My brother kicked the ball too hard."

The girl passes me back the ball, and I grin and go back into our garden. Oli rushed inside for an ice pop and I whistle while I wait.

A massive raven swoops down and lands on the fence post.

" NO!" I yell. " GO AWAY!"

I flap my hands and it clicks it's beak angrily at me. I roll my eyes, and it snaps.

" Go away, you stupid bird!"

I offend it and it rears, flapping it's wings, making whatever noises they make. I step back.

" Please. Go."

It shoots me a withering look and flaps off. I look over to see the girl next door-Czaree-staring with scared eyes.

" I....er....errrr..."

" You do it too?"

My eyes snap up.

" Yes....you can speak to them as well?"

She nods, lets out a low whistle, and a bat flies down into her garden and perchs on her outstreched hand. It clicks it's beak*?* and she throws her hand out and it flies away.

" I talk to them, like you," Czaree tells me. " I thought I was the only one."

" Me too."

" Czaree!" calls a voice from the house. " Come in now."

She shoots me a wobbly smile and darts back into her house and leaves me standing there, oddly deflaited.

" SAVVIE! MOM SAID IF YOU WON'T PLAY, YOU WON'T GET THE ALBUM!"

A football hits me in the back of the head, and I turn round, ready to kill my brother.