For What It's Worth

Chapter 5

I stood on the sidewalk, taking one last look at the small apartment building that had been home for the last two years. Like everything else in New York City, it had cost me a fortune, but it was worth every penny with its red brick, ivy and aged wooded shutters. How such a small place could hold so many memories was beyond me and I felt oddly nostalgic as my mind ran through the various late night pizza parties and study sessions that my tiny little apartment played host too. I was about to leave everything I knew, to start over in a new place, with a new job, and new people. Well, except for my same old Brooks, whom I wouldn’t change for the world. As I silently said goodbye to the building, I felt uneasy about the journey I was about to embark on.

Sure, I was headed for my dream job as an art conservator at one of the most prestigious and well known galleries in the U.S. I could make a name for myself there and the fact that the National Gallery contacted me, before I even realized there was a job opening, gave me the confidence I knew I would need to be successful. Especially since my mother continues to harass me about what I’m doing with my life. You see, there are no men, no babies and no dollar signs in my life at present, and therefore, according to her, there’s not much of anything at all.

But I would be living with Brooks, at least until I had a little money saved up to rent my own place. Part of me was beyond excited because over the past few years, we’d spent less and less time together due to my schooling and his hockey schedule. Late night phone calls could only do so much. I was eager to catch up with him, to get to know my best friend again the way I used to when we were small and catching frogs at the lake.

The other part of me didn’t know how I could handle living with the guy I was in love with. I lied when I said that I was happy being the best friend. I’m not. It’s been so long since I’ve spent quality time with Brooks, that I forgot what it was like to be around him, to see him smile at me with his bright eyes or to feel my hand in his. He’s slowly killing me and it’s only been one week. If he would just stop being so sweet, kind, funny…basically perfect, then maybe I could make my peace. But I know he won’t, so I’m going to have to find a way to keep my secret from him.
Now I know what you’re thinking. Why on earth would anyone subject themselves to such torture? It’s simple. I need Brooks in my life and if I can only have the part of him that wants to be my friend, then I’ll take what I can get.

All I wanted was to say goodbye to my little apartment, and here I am, on a busy sidewalk in the middle of New York City trying to justify my pathetic state of mind, and to myself nonetheless.

“You about ready to go babe?” Brooks asked as he put the last of my boxes into the moving truck.

“Yeah, I think I’m ready,” I sighed.

“That was an awfully big sigh for such a little girl. What’s up?” he asked as he put an arm around my shoulder.

“I’m just going to miss this place is all.” It wasn’t a complete lie.

“Maybe, but I promise you’ll love Washington. The guys are really excited you’re coming…plus so am I.”

“Well aren’t you sweet,” I said with a laugh as he ushered me towards the taxi he already had waiting for us. Always on the ball Brooks is.

He climbed into the backseat beside me, laughing as he handed me a box of Gravol for the ride. Coincidently, my love for Brooks and motion sickness were the two things that could bring me down in this world. At this rate, I might not make it to D.C. alive.

Because Brooks had drugged me, I slept through most of the flight and apparently our walk to baggage claim. My green luggage wasn’t difficult to find in the sea of black, which Brooks did quickly, as I slumped against what I believed to be a pillar holding up the second floor of the airport.

“Brooks, we better make it the non-drowsy kind next time,” I mumbled, trying to stand upright.

Brooks only let out a hearty laugh before throwing me over his shoulder and walking towards the “arrivals” door. I will never know how he managed to carry me on one shoulder while pulling two suitcases behind him. I blame the Gravol for that. As we walked through the arrivals door, a rowdy cheer startled me. I knew those voices.

“Brooksie, let me help you with that luggage,” came a thick Russian accent.

One minute I was safely on Brooks shoulder and the next several pairs of hands were grabbing at me as I was pulled down from my perch. And can I just say, that said hands were not particularly careful about where they landed. At least two pairs got to second base with me, only I was too groggy to care. I looked up at the body who was holding my shoulders and was met with a toothy grin.

“Oh! Hello Alex,” I said with a laugh.

“You finally come…what’s wrong with you, you look like crap!”

I didn’t know how to react to that because I was still processing the fact that I was being carried through the airport by a hoard of Caps players.

“Ovie, she’s obviously stunned by my good looks…give her a moment to adjust to my angelic glow,” came Mike Green’s voice. Did I mention he had my feet?

“I didn’t know impaired vision was a side effect of Gravol intake,” I said, surprised at what had just come out of my mouth.

Mike only stared at me with his mouth hanging open while the rest of the guys started to laugh.

“I thought you said she was the super cute, super sweet one Brooks?” he said with a mock pout on his face.

“Well, she is,” he said, winking as he helped me to my feet. I had taken our sudden stop in travel as an opportunity to wiggle free of my captors.

“It’s the Gravol talking,” he whispered loudly as a lovely smile lit up his face.

“We go eat?” Ovie asked as he put his arm around my shoulder and sniffed at my hair with a smirk. I only looked at Brooks for help. I’d been in D.C. less than ten minutes and I’d already been abducted, groped and sniffed at.

“Yes Ovie, we’ll go eat. Let me just take Jules home so she can get cleaned up and we’ll meet you at Alessandro’s in 45 minutes.”

“Italian?” I asked, suddenly very aware of how empty my stomach was. Brooks nodded as he took my hand and we walked to his car.

………………………………………………………………………………………………

I had wanted to take long, hot soak but Brooks wouldn’t let me until he had cleaned the dust out of his bathtub. So I settled for a shower, which was fine with me. I was happy to get the airplane smell off me any way I could. I pinned my darks curls up and slipped on my favorite cotton dress. I kept my makeup natural, as usual, and put on a pair of white flats to match with my navy dress. There. Clean and cute.

When we arrived at the restaurant, most of the boys were already there, including several new faces that I hadn’t encountered at the airport. I was introduced and then shoved into a chair beside Mike, who apparently, had been saving it for me since he arrived. Brooks sat at the other end of the table, keeping an eye on me as his teammates pelted me with every question under the sun. What was my new job all about? Did I like pineapple? Would I miss being in school? Would I rather be covered in dinosaur snot or skunk spray?

Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like the guys were making an effort to keep Brooks and I apart because every time I tried to talk to him, they hurled another ridiculous question at me. I have to admit though, I was enjoying myself. I was so used to academic banter where everyone fought to be right, that I had forgotten what it was like to relax and be stupid. I hadn’t laughed that hard in awhile.

As I sat back in my chair, Mike and Alex picked at my leftovers, arguing at who should get the last shrimp. I settled their dispute by spearing it with my fork and quickly shoving it into my mouth before either of them could get their mouths in the way. Brooks laughed from his end of the table and I smiled back brightly. When I turned my attention back to my end of the table I noticed that Mike and Ovie were staring at me.

“Can I help you?” I said with a soft laugh.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” Mike asked in a low voice.

“Not at present,” I answered, unsure of where this was going.

“Excellent!” he said giving Ovie a high five.

What on earth were they playing at?
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy! I'm trying to take my time with this one instead of jumping around from event to event like i did in my first story! Feel free to let me know if you prefere this style or if i should just cut to the chase =) Comments always welcome!