Drown Me, Lovely

On Account Of...

The night outside was quite foggy, the moon barely visible. And yet, it was somewhat peaceful. Raindrops slowly cascaded down the glass window while the pitter-patter noise sounded from the roof of the house. There would be a greater storm tonight; Juliana could sense it.

The atmosphere inside almost matched the one outside. Juliana sat on a beat up looking couch across from another female who resigned in a chair. Her legs were crossed, her feet concealed in stilettos and long black leggings. Her outfit - short black skirt and skimpy sleeveless top with lace - suggested that she spent most of her nights down at the bar usually drinking heavily and picking up guys for one-night stands. But not tonight. Juliana had called her earlier that evening with emergent news.

The woman pulled the cigarette out from between her lips and blew out a huge puff of white smoke. She waved her hand in the air, pushing the smoke away and coughing slightly.

Juliana sat up straight with her hands folded in her lap and legs together. Her sickly pale skin sheathed with the knitted gray sweater she wore. Her brown hair that came down past her waist acted like curtains, covering most of her face that was considered simply plain.

"So," the older woman said in a raspy voice, "why are you here again?" She placed the cigarette back into her mouth. "I had plans for tonight," she mumbled. "People to meet."

"Yes, I'm quite aware of your affairs, Rosemarie. I'm here on account of -" she started but was cut off.

"Honey, just call me Rosie." Another cloud of smoke escaped her mouth as she spoke.

"Right...Rosie -"

"Would you like a drink?" Rosemarie asked, holding up a bottle of aged wine.

"Uh, no," Juliana said quietly.

Rosemarie poured some in a glass for herself and took a sip. "Mm, so what did you say you were here for? Something about taxes?"

Juliana cocked her head to the side. "No, I am here on account of your soon-to-be" - she looked Rosie straight in the eyes with the same blank expression on her face she'd been wearing the whole time - "death."

The bottle of wine slipped from Rosie's fingers and hit the wooden floor, exploding from the impact. Red wine splattered everywhere, resembling the blood that would soon be spilled.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...what do you think?