Get real

Down on the street

The incident got me kicked out, but I was about to turn thirteen and I well, I couldn't care. Plus holidays were few days away. I was punished though. Antoniette and Richard were going to "La Riviera" in France, and I was sent to my aunts.

"Huh!
down on the street
where the faces shine."

" We will see you in a week, in this place you will learn the importance of being obedient, or you will end up like an out cast" Antoniette's words were cold and emotionless, but I couldn't care. The neighborhood was the most awesome place I had ever seen. Through the streets there was a sense of freedom, as if everything was alive. Children on the street playing and singing. Adolescents screaming from sidewalk to sidewalk, pissing neighbors off. The place was alive, and I could tell there was more down that street. Houston avenue was going lower and lower, apparently it would lead to a "barrio" as In-migrants called it, named Soho.

I was so distracted in my thoughts, that I barely heard my dad saying "Happy Birthday" as he slid a ring through my finger. It was silver and had a red stone on it, it was like a locket, and I was about to open it.
"Not now Gwen, not now.." His bleak smile couldn't mean good, but I just hugged him and ringed the bell.

"floatin' around i'm
a real low mind."

Several minutes I waited in front of that iron bar door, as they drove away. I glanced at my new ring. So shiny and precious, maybe a ruby. From inside the flat, I could hear music, but it was a different music, some I had never heard before.

"Wendy?" A blonde untidy guy appeared in the door way with a key. His hair was all messy and he had an earring a skull...
"Its Gwen, but yeah. You must be Will?"
"Gwen? That doesn't fits you, we will have to find you a nickname" His jeans were loosey and he had a white tshirt saying " Stooges"
I had had many nicknames recently, but none of them lickely. He smiled at me, and grabbed my trunk. I had alot of things for just one week, but we carried them up those cement stairs.

"see a pretty thing - ain't no wall.
see a pretty thing - ain't no wall.
no wall,
no wall,
no wall."

He flung the key and opened the apartment 7B. The flat was small, smaller than I'veevr seen. Who would say that just a few years later it would be a palace to me. The music was blasting from two gigantic bovines that were also used as tables. There was a tiny kitchen on the left side, with booth benches and a fridge. Next to the door there were to couches, both blue. To the wall, there was a tv, next to a book shell and then a record player.

"Uuh!
yeah deep in the night
i'm lost in love.
yeah deep in the night
i'm lost in love"

"Whats that music?" I was feeling more and more curious for the arhytmic melody, and the silly voice.
"The stooges, I guess you have never heard of them. They are very different, you will probably dislike them" Will said as he approached the record player to turn it off.
"No!" He looked at me strangled.
"Don't make it stop, I like it, it sounds so much like a blast of noise, and I like it"
He laughed but seemed glad of my reaction.
"Blast? Yeah that fits you..." Will said while placing the trunk next to one of those couches.
I opened my mouth to reply, but he said "You'll be Blast now, unless you prefer Gwen" He spoke in such a casual way. So easy to talk to, and so convincing, that I merely nodded, as I truned the lights on. There were bare bulbs on the roof, no crystal lamps or candles.

"a thousand lights
look at you."

"Mom is at work right now. You will be sleeping here" He patt the bigger couch and added "Fancy some telly?"
"Maybe later, I want to eat first" He rolled his eyes as if wondering how could he satisfy my request.
"We have some frozen pizza, sorry, there ain't much more to offer" Will was staring at the kitchen, giving a quick look, to search for something else.

"I'd love pizza"
He turned his eyes at me. I could tell he was surprised at my ways, he probably expected someone more snobbish and hot headed.

"Pizza it is" He stood and went to the kitchen busying himself on the preparation of it. As I sat on the couch facing the window.

"a thousand lights
look at you.
i'm lost, i'm lost, i'm lost - yeah."

"Whats down there?" I asked him pointing down the street.
"That?" He reached the window and merely said. "That's Soho were lowlifes inhabitate, I'll take you there tomorrow"

"Huh
faces shine - real low mind.
real low mind."

Even when his world would have sound insulting to anyone else. I liked it, it was a different thing. I was sure my parents wouldn't like it.

"i'm a real low mind."
real low mind"

no update til comments