Status: This story is on hiatus, and will be re-written in the near future. I hope the one-shots would be able to satisfy you, my dear reader, for now. Thank you.

Scarlet: prequel of Azure

2.Anniversary

I chewed my buttered toast slowly, enjoying its crunchy texture. I was having my breakfast in the empty dining room. The only sound was the sweet melody that was sung by the birds outside, it was soothing and relaxing, yet, I was still tense. I couldn’t take a mind off a certain thing…

I had been thinking about the dreams that had kept appearing over the month. It seemed to be the end, she died, and everything was over, unless there’s a sequel? ... Nah. I was drowning in my thoughts. Why did I have such ridiculous dreams? It did not make any sense! I felt like my head was going to explode from all of this questioning. Someone once told me every dream had their own meaning, like a message, but they ‘speak’ in riddles. You must solve them before trying to understand them. This dream was obviously a hard one.

Suddenly, there were knocks on the wooden door. I frowned more deeply. I was already in a foul mood, that knock which had disturbed my thoughts and my peaceful early meal made it worse. I was annoyed at the person, my frown nearly turned into a scowl.

Nearly.

I dragged my body unwillingly to the faded red door, if only I had a maid... I opened it and was surprised by my unexpected visitors. On my door step stood my best friends, Alexandra and Gwen Moore, whom I haven’t seen since the start of our summer vacation, which was about a month ago. They had been my best friends from the time of I’d entered high school. Alex tried to befriend me but Gwen was being anti-social. She ignored me, and she didn’t even acknowledge my existence. Strange enough, we became good friends gradually.

Although they were twins (Alex was older by a minute), they had total different personalities: Alex was hyperactive, optimistic and an airbag. On the other hand, Gwen was calm, mostly apathetic and smart. Still, there was something they shared: they loathed pink, so did I.

Alex was a few inches taller than Gwen who, in turn, was a few cm shorter than me. Both of them had forest green eyes, but Alex had short chocolate brown hair while Gwen had shoulder-length bronze hair, which was pulled back by a grey ribbon into a pony tail.

‘Knock, knock,’ Alex said, grinning.

‘Ha ha…Very funny, Alex,’ I rolled my eyes.

She had always tried to be funny, but failed each and every time. Let’s just say she had no sense of humor…And how could she possibly be so happy in the morning? Another puzzle to solve…

‘You should say “Who’s there?” not “ha ha”,’ she pouted, like a child I might add.

‘Morning, Char. Oh, and you should be careful, Alex had…’ Gwen shuddered, ‘…sugar…’

‘What?!’ I glared at her. No wonder Alex was so hyper.

This was something I had common with Alex, sugar-rush. Gwen ought to keep sugar away from Alex, this was an unwritten rule. I couldn’t believe she broke it. With all of this extra energy, who knew what could’ve happen? Last time when Alex had too much sugar, she couldn’t stop giggling like a schoolgirl and said random things. For example: ‘Chocolate is going to rule the world!’ or ‘bow down fools, the Cookie is here!’ while placing a tiny crown on a chocolate chip cookie, and ‘Cute little bunnies are attacking!’ she ran around, screaming bloody murder, also ‘Pink fluffy pillows are going to kill you tonight! Sleep with both eyes open!’

I wasn’t lying, that day was pure hell. She was driving both me and Gwen crazy. Luckily, Alex fell asleep before long from fatigue, that’s the reason why we’re able to remain or half sane now.

‘Hey, don’t blame me,’ Gwen held her hands up, defending herself.

‘Yes, let’s blame the Easter Bunny…’

‘Not the Easter Bunny! Gwen gave me candies!’ Alex objected.

‘No I didn’t, you stole them!’

‘Lair!’

Sometimes I wonder how could I tolerate all of this nonsense. They were bickering again. I smiled slightly at them, and myself.

What an easy question.

Friendship.

‘What are you guys doing here anyway?’I interrupted them.

They stopped their argue, looked at each other, then turned their heads and blinked at me stupidly, as if I had grew three heads.

‘…Yes? Is there something on my face?’ I raised one of my thin eyebrows.

‘Hello dumb-dumb. Wake up,’ Alex snapped her fingers in front of me. ‘It’s your freaking birthday today, remember?’

I froze. My birthday, how could I forget this cursed day? My mood changed dramatically, so did the atmosphere. It changed from casual to tense. My eyes darken, my teeth clenched together and my hands balled into fist, so tight that my nails were digging into my palms, my knuckles turned white. I loathed this day as much as pink, if not, more.

‘Relax, Char,’ Gwen tried to calm me down. ‘Deep breathes,’ she instructed.

I released the breathe that I had unconsciously holding. Relax? Yeah right. How did she expect me to relax when today- June 11, was my birthday, AKA the day of my parents’ death.