Status: This story is on hiatus, and will be re-written in the near future. I hope the one-shots would be able to satisfy you, my dear reader, for now. Thank you.

Scarlet: prequel of Azure

5.Spirit

Unbelievable! I freeze from shock by the thing behind me.

A ghost.

It was standing behind me and Gwen—the maiden’s spirit from the story. She was as beautiful as she was rumored to be, if not more. Her ebony hair braided, falling over her right shoulder, across her chest. Her skin was snow white, it glowed faintly as the moonlight shone upon her. Small thin lips pressed into a thin line, dark brows furrowed together, her bluish-gray eyes were dull, like orbs that were covered by dust. She was frowning, deep in thoughts, confusion was written all over her face. She wore a plain white dress that was floating, surrounding her. She was like a goddess standing among the mist, an illusion you could only witness in early twilight.

Alex stepped behind Gwen, using her as a shield, who was staring at the ghost with saucers size eyes. Both of us were surprised and, at the same time, amazed by its presence. We had always thought ghost stories were made by old folks to terrify the children and paid no attention to them. And yet, there was a real spirit wafting in front of us now.

‘…Cy…randa?’ whispered her softly.

I gasped.

How did she know?

‘Charlene? What’s wrong?’ Gwen muttered, her eyes shifting back and forth between the spirit and me. ‘You know…her?’

I shook my head stiffly. My mouth was still unclosed. ‘No! I…I…’ I stammered, pondering should I tell them about this mysterious dream or not. They might think it was absurd or I was making a horrible joke or just think I was imagining things.

‘Cyranda, is that you?’ The spirit advanced. We took a step back. The ghost halted, she looked sad and was about to cry.

Could spirit cry too?

‘Mistress Cyranda, how lucky I am to have found you!’ She exclaimed. Her expression was no longer puzzled but relieved. We were dumbfounded by her outburst. What

Mistress Cyranda? Who, what, when, where, why, huh? ...Is she referring to me? Nah, it can’t be…can it? I panicked inwardly. There wasn’t any servant in my dream. I was sure. I had never seen her either.

I pointed at myself, unsure. ‘Um…miss?’ I wasn’t certain how to address her. ‘Are you talking to…me?’ Mistress? Me? Ha! As if.

Startled, she took a few steps closer. (We didn’t move this time.)Confusion took over her face again. ‘Mistress Cyranda? Are you all right? Don’t you remember me, Lilyn, your trustworthy servant and friend?’

What on earth?

‘…Erm…no. Sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone else…’

‘It’s impossible!’ She interrupted. ‘I can sense your power and your unique aura. They only belong to the Silvermist. You must be one of them! They don’t have any descendent, the remaining survivor is…her…’ She faltered, then took a deep breath and carried on. ‘Therefore, you are mistress Cyranda’s reincarnation.’ She reasoned with determination in her eyes which chased away her bewilderment that existed moments ago.

I must have resembled a fish that was out of water. So…the girl that I had been dreaming of was…my past life? It couldn’t be! She was remarkably attractive and elegant; I was

‘Mistress…You…cannot recall what had happened in your past life?’ She waited for my answer. No one spoke a word. She contracted her brows in displeasure. ‘I see…’ Disappointment was dripping from her words.

I felt guilty. Her crestfallen expression made me feel bad.

‘I…’ I reluctantly began, ‘I’ve been having this dream…’ Lilyn’s ears perked up as I kept on speaking. ‘It was like a…memory...The final memory…’ I explained briefly regarding the dream. The three of them listened to me with interest, Lilyn paid the most attention.

‘That woman…’ Lilyn spat, enraged. ‘How dare her…!’

‘How dare I you say?’ A seducing voice said.

Red smoke emerged from the gaps of the wooden floor. Slowly, it formed into a woman. Her beauty rivaled a rose’s, she was prideful as a lion. Her black eyes as mysterious as bottomless black holes, drawing me into them, lips luscious like red wine. Her tunic was blood red, close fitting, reaching over her hips. She held a golden scepter, strange writing was craved on it. On top, it was crafted into a claw, securing a huge round ruby. Her sudden appearance wasn’t the thing that shocked me the most. She was solid, as in she was an actual being, alive. Her lips were pulled back into a taunting smile. Onyx orbs scanned us, pausing on me, sending shivers down my spine, before turning them to Lilyn.

‘Why Lilyn,’ she mocked. ‘I never thought you would say something disrespectful about your mistress,’ she stressed on that word. She spoke like she was chiding a newcomer who didn’t know any rules.

Lilyn was frightened, shaking like a chick in cold rain. She opened her mouth to protest, but she couldn’t utter a single sound. After a few seconds, she found her voice. ‘Yes…mistress Daichella.’

That woman—Daichella— smiled in triumph. ‘Good.’ She stepped closer to me, and amused expression on her flawless face. ‘Ah, Cyranda. Dear-o-beloved Cyranda, how could you not remember me? After all,’ she chuckled, ‘I was your murderer.’

Say what?!

Although I had dreamed of my killer, I didn’t have a chance to see her face. And now, this woman standing in front of me was claiming that she was my murderer. What had this world come to? Didn’t people feel ashamed of taking someone else’s life anymore? No. Her smug face answered my silent question. She was proud of this fact.

‘H-huh?’

‘You don’t know? What a shame that is.’

‘What do you want?’

‘What do I want?’ She laughed, like how she did in my past. ‘…This.’

Lime green light hit me before the darkness. I fell onto the dusty floor with a loud ‘thump’, two softer one following mine.