Sequel: Into Forever
Status: Updates Every Weekend (if not sooner)

Essential Hope

Chapter 39: Scavenger Hunt

“Bloody hell, Kelso, what’d you get me? This box weighs more than George!” Fred exclaimed, hosting his present up and shaking it. “And why’s it making that rattling sound?”

“You probably broke it from shaking it so much,” I said, sticking my tongue out. “You can’t open it until I open yours.”

“Fine then! Open mine next!” Fred begged, shoving a box into my hand. I rolled my eyes and shoved it back at him. We’d been going at this since five this morning. Yes, five. Fred had woken me up early and hadn’t let me be since. It was only fair to torture him as long as I possibly could.

“No, I’m saving the best for last,” I told him again, pulling Ron’s present onto my lap.

“Oh sure, choose mine first,” Ron teased, grabbing my present to him.

We were gathered downstairs around the tree. The adults were in the other room having breakfast while we opened our presents to each other.

“Wow, thanks Kelsey!” Ron cried, pulling out the Chudley Cannons jersey to see it better. “This is amazing!”

I grinned at him, then worked on opening his present to me.

“Oh wow Ron! This is amazing!” I gasped, pulling out the purple velvet scarf that was tucked in the box. Ron flushed slightly and said,

“Glad you like it. Ginny helped me make it.”

I leaned over and gave Ron a one-armed hug, making him blush even brighter red.

For the sake of the holidays, Ron and Hermione were being civil to each other. Though Ron was sitting on one side of the room facing one way, and Hermione was on the other side of the room facing the other way, I still counted that as an improvement.

Everyone else was opening their own presents; I had gotten Hermione a new school bag with a few books I knew she needed. George had gotten a cologne set from me, and Ginny had gotten a few CD’s I had from when I lived with my mom and dad in America (Cartel, Muse, The Killers and 30 Seconds to Mars). I had shopped longer for Harry’s present, and finally settled on getting him a new pair of Quidditch gloves, a Seeker poster, and a bag full of gags from Fred and George’s joke shop.

I continued to open my presents, making Fred wait until the very last; I got a bag full of make-up from Ginny, and a new quill and ink set from Hermione, as well as some new books. George gave me a new book bag –the same one I’d been asking for in Diagon Alley a few days earlier– filled with at least one of everything from the joke shop. Harry had been modest in my present– a charm bracelet with six charms on it.

“Everyone bought you a charm,” Harry said as he helped me put it on. “So they’re not just random.”

“Which one is from who?” I asked, twisting my wrist back and forth to take in the charms.

“The gold snitch is from me, of course,” Harry said, pointing to it. I grinned.

“The book is from Hermione, the peace sign is from Ginny, the flower is from Ron, the heart is from Fred, of course, and– what the hell is that, George?”

I turned the bracelet over to get a better look at the charm from George.

“Is that a waffle?!”

“Sure is!” George laughed, grinning at me.

“Why did you give me a waffle?”

“Why not?” he asked back.

I just laughed.

“Thanks you guys, I love this. And thanks, Harry, you really shouldn’t have.”

“Glad you like it,” Harry said, giving me a half hug.

As I sat back into my spot, Fred scooted closer to me and asked,

“Any other presents from anyone else?”

“Nope…. Alright, well I’m done then. Who’s hungry?”

Fred wrapped his arms around my waist as I began to stand up, and he pulled me back down onto his lap.

“Pleaaaaassseee open mine next?” Fred asked, making puppy dog eyes as he slid the box towards me.

“Oh fine,” I sighed, smiling at him. “But open mine first.”

“Deal!” Fred exclaimed, already ripping the wrapping paper off.

I had just filled the box will about twenty rocks from the backyard, and then poured some uncooked macaroni noodles inside as well so the box was heavier and made a weird noise. I could see Fred’s excited grin fade into a look of disappointment when all he discovered was an envelope at the bottom.

“Fine, if you don’t want to see your surprise…” I began, reaching into the box to take the envelope out.

“Surprise?” Fred asked hopefully, diving into the box and snatching the envelope up. He all but shredded the paper, and you could just make out the words:

Sorry, couldn’t fit your present in here… maybe check the back yard?

Fred’s eyes widened as he read the words, and he leapt up seconds later. I nearly fell from his lap, but he wrapped an arm around my waist and hauled me up with him, and then took off to the backyard.

As we ran past everyone in the kitchen, we got several puzzled looks. I could just laugh as Fred burst through the back door.

There, leaning up against the big oak tree, was the newest broom on the market, the Kobalt 6000.

“Oh my god! Kelsey! This is amazing!” Fred cried, wrapping his other arm around my waist as he spun in circles. “How’d you know?!”

Laughing, I said,

“You’ve only been talking about it for the past month! Thank George too. He went with me and made sure I got the right one.”

“I love you!” Fred cried, and then kissed me with more passion than ever before.

As we broke apart, I asked,

“Aren’t you going to try it out?”

“Yeah,” he said, setting me down. “But you need to open your present first! Here, hop on!”

Fred turned around and let me jump up onto his back, and as I secured my hold, he took off back into the house. I threw my fist in the air and cried,

“To the living room!”

We sprinted through the kitchen, getting more puzzled looks, and came to a skidding halt just before crashing into the tree.

Everyone else was absorbed in their own presents, so Fred and I were virtually alone. Fred pushed the box, about four feet wide and four feet tall, towards me, and I grinned.

“Go ahead,” he said, a proud smirk on his face. I tore into the wrapping paper. When I made it to the box, I ripped it open. A layer of packing peanuts sat on top, and as I pushed them inside, I saw another box. I blinked in surprise, but then wasted no time ripping open the next box; a smaller box was inside that one.

“Really, Fred?” I asked, tearing the third box open. Fred just laughed as I came onto the fourth box.

Ten boxes later, I had a box only about a foot in height and width; I shot Fred a glare as I opened that one. Everyone was watching now, and as I came upon the eleventh box, I cried,

“Seriously, Fred? Do you want me to kill you?”

Fred just laughed and said,

“Keep going, love!”

I opened the eleventh box, and to my relief, I found a little square jewelry box. My heart began to race. Jewelry?

I took it out gingerly and opened the box slowly.

A piece of paper was folded and tucked into the box. I took it anxiously and read,

Dear Kelsey,
The box was too stuffy, so I’ve run off and found a new place to stay. Perhaps check the pantry. I’ve heard it’s very nice in there.
Love,
Your Christmas present


I rolled my eyes and smacked Fred’s knee.

“You can’t make this easy, can you?”

I stood up and hurried into the kitchen, headed for the pantry.

I could feel Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s eyes on me, as well as Uncle Remus’s. Bill and Fleur were watching with amusement as I spotted a little note on a pantry shelf. I grabbed it, and it said:

Dear Kelsey,
The pantry was nice, but the canned fruits were becoming sassy. I’ve heard of a place called the downstairs bathroom, in the cupboard above the sink. Find me there.
Love,
Your Christmas present


“Damnit, Fred!” I exclaimed, marching from the kitchen. Fred followed me, laughing the whole way.

Nearly half an hour later, after I’d looked all over the damn house, I came across a note inside the broom shed out back that said:

Dear Kelsey,
The broom shed was splendid, but seeing as it’s winter, it’s much too cold for me to stay out here. I’ve traveled somewhere warmer. Maybe you should check Fred’s pillow.
Love,
Your Christmas present


I let out a frustrated scream, making Fred laugh harder, and I stormed into the house and up the stairs. I threw open Fred’s door, and spotted the note on his pillow.

“Fred, I swear if my present isn’t on your pillow…”

I grabbed the note, and angrily read:

Dear Kelsey,
I’ve grown lonely here on the pillow. I’ve moved on. Turn around and find my next note.
Love,
Your Christmas present


Irritated now, I spun around, ready to hunt for the note, when I came face to face with Fred. Puzzled, I took a step back, and saw a note taped on his chest. I reached out, keeping my eyes locked on his, and took the note.

I opened it quickly, and read,

Dear Kelsey,
I look forward to living with you. You’re fingers are quite lovely.
Love,
Your Christmas present


I glanced up to ask Fred what the note meant, but lost my voice as I saw Fred sink down onto one knee.

I felt tears begin to sting my eyes. Fred reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, velvet box.

I felt my mouth open a little bit as he opened the box.

“I love you, Kelsey. Since the first second I saw you. You’re everything I could ever want in a girl. You’re funny, you’re gorgeous, you’re smart, and you like me back,” he said softly, making me give out a shaky laugh.

“It’s not an engagement ring, it’s a promise ring. I love you more than anything in the world, but I don’t want to get too serious too fast. But I want you to know that I’ll always love you. You’re my only one, and until I really propose to you, I want you to know that I promise to be with you forever.”

Fred pulled back the lid of the box, and the ring inside took my breath away.

“Fred… this is so beautiful,” I whispered, watching him take it gingerly out of the box.

“Kelsey Lynette Werner, will you take this ring and promise to be my girlfriend until I propose to you?”

“Of course, Fred,” I whispered, feeling the tears fall down my cheeks. Fred took my left hand and gently slid the silver ring onto my middle finger. As he stood up, he reached into his pocket again.

“Promises are a two-way thing,” he said softly, handing me a box. I smiled, wiping away the tears on my face.

I opened the box and took out the other ring meant for Fred.

“Fredrick Arthur Weasley, will you take this ring and promise to be my boyfriend until we’re engaged?”

Fred, smiling wide down at me, said,

“Of course, love.”

I slid the ring shakily onto his middle finger on his left hand. When I had slid it all the way on, Fred took my hand in his, lifted it to his face, and kissed my ring.

“I love you, Kels.”

“I love you too, Fred.”

Fred tenderly pressed his lips onto mine, and kissed me softly. As he pulled away, he pulled me to his chest and wrapped his arms around me. I buried my face into the curve of his neck as Fred pressed his lips onto the top of my head.

“Merry Christmas, love.”
♠ ♠ ♠
toasteh.toast

Lon3lyangel

Thanks you guys for the comments :D totally made me motivated to write this chapter. Yes, it was a filler, but a damn long one if I do say so myself. I hope you like it :D I think it’s cute.

Comment and subscribe if you like it :D