My Girl

I’ve got sunshine, on a cloudy day. When it’s cold outside, I’ve got the month of may.

Every single night, my dad would sing that song to me before I would go to bed. I heard that song so many times, for an entire twelve years. But then, way earlier than anyone expected, he was gone. He had been struggling with lung cancer from about a year after I was born, the doctors said he would probably live to see me graduate, since they caught it at such a small stage. But only a months after he got diagnosed, it spread throughout many parts of his body. He still lived, until the summer of my 7th grade year.

My mom told me, and still tells me today, that we always seemed to be together. I had friends, most of them were guys, since girls always seemed to be too catty, but I always ducked out of plans to go to the golfing greens, or to the hardware store, with my dad.

Because if there was something I loved more than my dad, it was golfing.

I guess you’d say, what can make me feel this way…

Not most people at my school today are on the golf team. It was me, three other girls, and seven other guys. That gives you a little idea.

On this particular day, the Green Oaks Academy Golfing League was on their way to the first meet of the season, which meant the eleven of us on the team got to skip out on an entire day of school.

With our uniform style golf tee’s and skirts, me and Sylvia, the only girl (let alone person) I could get along with on the golf team, made our way to the lobby. I held the door open with my foot, eyeing Sylvia’s custom made golf bag, feeling ashamed of my vintage boring bag that was being dragged behind me. It was my dad’s, when he was healthy enough to play golf. The key chain picture of him and I was still hanging off the strap, and I felt it in between my fingers as I waited in line.

Green Oaks Academy was supposed to be playing against Meadow Wood, and I could faintly see the crest of our arch-nemesis on the chests of the two guys standing in front of us. They both had matching hats on, but one guys hair was curly, and the others was straighter. I couldn’t see their faces, since they were turned to a magazine that was held in curly’s hand.

“I’ve heard about them.” Sylvia whispered, suddenly coming up next to me in line. I glanced at her and stared down at my shoes, pretending to not know what she was talking about. “Those guys in front of us? Yeah, my mom’s stepdaughter goes to Meadow Woods, she says they are major weirdo’s. They like, sing and stuff.”

“And that makes them weird?” I questioned. Knowing this about them made me even more intrigued. One of them laughed, but I couldn’t tell which one, since their backs were facing us.

“I guess not, but…maybe your right. They could be really nice.” Sylvia nodded her head and tightened her already too tight ponytail that was on the very top of her head and she spoke.

As if sensing that we were talking about them, the two guys turned around slyly, small smiles on both of their faces. I couldn’t help but notice their faces fall slightly when they saw our own crests on our uniforms, but the guy with the straight hair opened his mouth to speak.

“Weirdo’s?” My cheeks turned hot as the other one crossed his arms over his chest.

“Who knew having talent meant you were un-cool.” The guy standing next to him said, sounding truly shocked.

And no matter how conceited the comment, or how embarrassing that moment was, a smile formed on my lips, and I knew these two guys would be the complete opposite of whatever stereotype was set up for them.

My girl…talking ‘bout my girl.
  1. I've Got Sunshine On a Cloudy Day
    Elise and Nick do some talking
  2. Panda Express
    Elise and her Mom have a run-in while getting dinner
  3. Trustworthy
    Elise turns Sylvia down for a night out
  4. Golfing with Mandy
    Nick picks Elise up for their golfing adventure... and tells her Mandy is joining them.
  5. My So Called Life
    Elise and Sylvia have a little fight
  6. Will You Play Something?
    Nick goes to Elise's house to help her with homework.
  7. Secrets and Lies
    Elise has a run-in with Joe and Mandy at the mall... with Sylvia.
  8. Is This Okay?
    Nick picks Elise up from school
  9. Fly With Me
    Elise meets the Jonas family
  10. Wait
    Joe, Nick, and Elise arrive at the golf meet
  11. Division One
    Elise and Nick prepare for the Golf Meet
  12. Everything Happens For A Reason
    Elise risks losing the Golf Meet
  13. Do You Completely Hate Me Now?
    Elise explains to Nick what happened
  14. Just... Explain
    Nick drops by Elise's house to talk.
  15. Arielle's Invite
    Arielle goes to see Elise with an idea.
  16. Let's Play Rockband
    Elise goes over to Arielle's house to hang out.
  17. Let's Hang Out
    Parker asks Elise a question
  18. Friends
    Parker and Elise have a heart to heart
  19. I Can't Hate You
    Parker and Elise run into a certain family in the park.
  20. Truce?
    Joe and Elise have a little chat.
  21. Amazing
    Nick has something to show Elise.
  22. I... I...
    Elise starts thinking more of Nick
  23. America's Past-Time
    The Jonas' try to get Elise to watch some baseball.
  24. Tension
    Elise and Nick drive to the hospital to see her Mom
  25. Spending the Night
    Elise asks Nick to stay with her
  26. Who's Joe?
    Nick and Elise hang out with Joe and Steph
  27. Jino... Juno. Potatoe... Potato.
    Nick, Elise, Joe, and Steph head to the movies.
  28. It's Going To Be Hard
    Elise's Mom wakes up
  29. Anything...
    Nick has something to tell Elise.
  30. What Do You Mean...
    Steph has news for Elise
  31. Before the Storm
    Nick, Joe, Kevin, and Steph leave Elise