My Girl

Before the Storm

Elise, it’s Steph.” I turned the corner on the street and watched as an airplane flew from the runway next to the airport. “You said you would be here…I don’t see you. When you get this-call me and tell me where you are.

I could hear people talking in the background of Steph’s message. More clearly, I could hear his voice.

I repeated the message and listened to the background. “Who are you calling? Elise? Is she coming? Let me say something!

I turned the car off and stared at the large windows of the airport. Hundreds of people standing in front of them, wishing off their loved ones, welcoming their friends back.

Opening the car door, I shut my phone and quickly walked into the side door of the airport. In the crowded room, I obviously couldn’t see Steph-but I could hear someone shout my name from one of the portals.

“Elise!” I turned my head and saw Joe waving his hands frantically, a large smile on his face. “I told you she would come!”

He seemed to turn toward Nick when he said this, who was standing between Kevin and Steph, watching me as I slowly made my way over to them.

“Hey.” I said quietly, running a hand through my hair. I glanced up at the clock. “What time does your flight leave?”

“Fifteen minutes.” Nick answered quickly. Ignoring his eyes, I nodded my head, although my stomach started to flip.

Fifteen minutes. I had fifteen minutes.

“Someone will call me once you know what’s going to happen, right?” I looked the opposite way of Nick, asking my question to Steph. Once again, Nick answered.

“Of course.”

Joe coughed awkwardly and wrapped his hand around Steph’s, nodding toward the food court.

“We will be right back.” He looked at Kevin, who glanced up from his phone and followed after the two of them slowly. Rolling my eyes, I finally glanced at Nick.

“So when do you guys meet with Disney?” I asked, trying to find something else to interest me, besides the look on his face.

But it suddenly hit me. This could be the last time I ever saw Nick in person. Yeah, maybe I would see him on the front of the magazines. Sure, it was just an interview with Disney, but I knew the talent those three brothers had.

Pure talent. The talent that would drive thousands of girls crazy. The talent of sold out shows. The talent of becoming household names.

“Wednesday.” He said quietly, shoving his hand into his pocket and taking his phone out to check the time. I did the same. Ten minutes.

“I think I have some things to say.” I told him, watching as his eyes traveled to mine. He nodded but stayed silent.

“I don’t want you to leave here thinking I hate you.” I smirked, feeling a knot tighten in my throat. “I don’t want you to leave at all. But I know, you have to. And I know that everything is going to be great for you and your brothers. But I don’t want sit in my mom’s living room two years from now and regret hating the hottest boy band on the planet.”

Nick’s face lightened somewhat, but he shrugged his shoulders. “No one knows where Joe, Kevin, and I will be in two years. I think our view on it is we can be playing back here to crowds of fifty, but still loving everything we do. And I would never hold a grudge. Because, wherever I am sitting two years from now, I don’t want to regret hating you.”

Tears flooded my eyes as I opened my mouth to speak. “I shouldn’t have been juvenile about this, Nick. This could be the last time I ever see you, and I spent the entire week hating everything you did.” I glanced down at the tile floor, feeling Nick’s arms wrap around my waist. He pulled me toward him, tightening his grip on me.

“I wont let this be the last time I see you.” He whispered into my ear. I nodded my head and kept my head resting on his chest. “I love you, Elise. I don’t think that will ever stop. And you don’t know how much I want to tell you long distance relationships work…” His voice faded.

“…But they don’t.” I finished for him, pulling away from him and wiping my eyes. “I know.”

“Isn’t there anyway you can be there with me?” Nick asked, staring down at me. I laughed and pushed his curls out of his eyes.

“I still live with my mom. I can’t leave until I’m eighteen.” I stated. Nick smiled back and left his hands resting on my waist.

“That’s in two years.” Nick stated, raising his eyebrows. I nodded my head and glanced behind us, seeing Joe, Steph and Kevin pretending to look at the menu in the line they were standing in.

“We should stop doing this.” I glanced down at our close bodies. “This will never work out, will it?”

Nicks face fell and his hands moved back to his sides. “I don’t know.” He inhaled and looked behind us at everyone. “I want it to. I really want it to.”

I sighed and felt my head throb. “We should just-”

“Elise.” Nick cut me off, adjusting the bag that was strapped around his shoulder. “Anything we say, anything we try to do. You're…my girl. I don’t want it any other way.” I laughed at his corny line but felt my heart quicken.

“Five minutes, Nick.” Kevin warned. I hadn’t even realized Steph, Joe, and Kevin had come back.

I wiped the tears from my eyes again and took Nick’s hands off of me, turning around to the three people standing behind him.

“Steph!” I laughed and hugged her quickly. “You have to promise to call me every day. And tell me everything that happens.” I looked away from her and glanced at Joe.

“And if you break her heart-” Steph grabbed onto my hand.

“Elise!” I laughed and hit Joe playfully in the arm.

“Just kidding.” I smirked and looked back up at Joe. He laughed and hugged me.

“See you later, Elise.” I continued to say goodbye to Joe and Kevin, feeling Nick’s eyes on me the entire time.

By the time I was done saying bye to everyone, Steph and I had cried, Joe had managed to somehow trip over his own suitcase, and Kevin had managed to have an entirely different conversation with someone on his phone.

Everyone, besides Nick, was now boarding the plane. I turned around to Nick and smiled sadly once again.

“By-” I started to talk, but Nicks lips crashing down onto mine made me forget I was even talking.

My fingers tangled through his hair as his hands found their way to my hips and pushed our bodies together.

“Bye.” He sighed, resting his forehead on mine. I smiled and bit my lower lip feeling my cheeks turn hot.

The announcement came over the speaker to inform everyone on Nick’s plane should start boarding. I panicked and grabbed for Nick’s hand, squeezing it tightly.

“Call me.” He begged, reaching out for his bag. I knew that if I didn’t have self control, I would burst into hysterics right now.

“Every single day.” I laughed, watching as he adjusted his bags onto his shoulders. We now stood a few feet away from each other, watching our actions.

“I should really go.” He said quietly, glancing at the terminal. I nodded and crossed my arms over my chest. I couldn’t speak. At all.

Nick closed the gap once more and kissed the side of my mouth lightly, pausing in front of my face.

“I love you.” He said, dragging his final suitcase up to his side. He reached into his pocket once again, this time it was a folded piece of paper.

“It’s part of something I wrote.” He said, folding my hand over the paper. He smirked and glanced up at me.

“Your mom heard it before you, I hope you're not jealous.” Nick laughed and looked behind him again.

“Nick…” I sighed, gripping onto the paper tightly. “…I-I love you too.”

He smiled and kissed me once more, turning around for real this time and making his way to where Kevin, Joe, and Steph disappeared minutes before.

He turned around once more before he walked into the room, waving slightly at me. I smiled and let the tears pour down my cheeks, waving back.

I watched the door until the flight attendant quickly locked and sealed it shut.

It wasn’t for another few minutes before I noticed the crumpled paper in my hand. I walked to the big windows, next to the large row of people that were waving to the plane that just left.

Furiously tearing open the paper, I read through my tears what Nick had written.

Standing here but you don’t see me
Give it all for that to change.
I don’t want to loose her
Don’t want to let her go.
Standing out in the rain,
Need to know if it’s over.
Cause I would leave you alone.
I’m flooded with all this pain,
Knowing that I’ll never hold her,
Like I did before the storm.


The plane could now only be seen if you looked carefully. I stared at the cloudy sky, through the few raindrops that hit the window and tried to find the outline of where everyone had just left.

Whether it be an airport-or a hospital; I knew I would never like either of those places. Whether it be The Temptations-or the personal styling of Nick Jonas; I knew My Girl would always be my favorite song. Whether it be my dad laying in his hospital bed-or Nick flying off to live his dream; I knew that I loved them.

Mine and Nick’s storm could be somewhere in the aftermath by now. It could be getting to it’s worst part-only time would tell. He would be busy with his band, I would be busy with…whatever I planned on doing in the time that he was gone.

Something about him leaving, something about the not-so-convinced look on his face when he said goodbye. It told me that this wouldn’t be our last time. No matter what he said in his song.

Because as the storm rolls on, so does time. Nick might not be able to hold me like he did before everything happened; but that didn’t mean he would suddenly let me go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rachael's A/N (it's long):
So, I re-wrote this ending a bajillion times-basically. I didn’t know where I wanted Nick and Elise to go, and I’m still not sure if this was the right way to go. But, we’ll see. I like this ending the best out of my bajillion-minus-one endings. I also apologize for the semi-cliché comparison to the storm and their relationship. But, what Jonas story isn’t a little cliché in their own little way?

Honestly, I would be a major bitch if I ended it there. But anyways. Comment My Girl for the last time…EVER. Well, I guess you could comment me months from now, and I would still love it. But…yeah. You should just comment now.

Anyways, lyrics in this chapter again. I know. But Nick was supposed to write it when he was outside of Elise’s hallway the final week he was with her. And It’s Jonas lyrics, so it’s not like I have to explain myself anyway.

Okay. So. Guess what? Sequel information time. : )

I know what is happening, partially, and I know the title at least! Hahaha. Okay, so if you LOVE this story, you should really check out Take A Breath (Nick Jonas)


Woot!!! Sequel!
She doesn't have much written so this will be much slower posting. I'll bug her to write, I promise, but with school coming up... we shall see.

Thanks guys so much for reading this story and getting it to 10 stars We were very excited when we saw that!

Leave your final comments!

~Steph & Rachael <3