‹ Prequel: Mad World

So Close To Perfect

Bet You Don't Know Why

When I woke up the next day I could tell it was past midday. I peered over to my bed to see that Mikey wasn’t there. It wasn’t like him to leave me sleeping after he’d woken up. I pulled on some skinnies and hobbled downstairs topless.

“Morning Sleeping Beauty,” mum called from the kitchen as I entered the dining area, “Or should I say afternoon?”

I checked the clock and it was indeed the afternoon. “Hey Mum,” I replied, sitting at the table and rubbing my eyes, “what’s Mike doing?”

“Left a few hours ago, Frank.”

What the hell? I leaned backwards on my chair to try and catch a glimpse of the entrance to check if his shoes were there; I wouldn’t have been surprised if mum was just joking around. His shoes weren’t there though, which could only mean that he left without waking me or saying ‘bye’. He really wasn’t himself lately. Just then I got a text from Brian reminding me about the band practice we’d planned for 5pm which was only a few hours away. I didn’t really feel like going but if Mikey would be there, I thought I might try and talk to him properly.

I rocked up at Brian’s with bubble tea in one hand and my guitar in the other, (bubble tea is a little addiction of mine). Brian and Stina were the only one’s there.

“Where’re the others?” I asked them.

“Mikey said he can’t make it and I dunno about Ellie,” Stina replied while trying to untangle her lead.

“Psshh, we ALL know what Ellie’s up to,” came Brian’s voice from the back of the garage.
“Uhhh… I don’t,” I said, starting to unpack my guitar.

“That boyfriend of hers is bad news. She’s been going downhill ever since the two of you broke up,” he said, “You know how she doesn’t tell people his age? It’s because he’s 27! That’s right; she spends all her time away from us fucking around with a 27 year old!”

I didn’t know what to say. It was as though Brian was partially blaming me for what she’s been doing. At the same time I also felt a little guilty that I had no idea what my ex-girlfriend was up to. I had been so preoccupied with Mikey situation that I barely even noticed a change in her. I realised then that Stina had stopped playing around with her lead and I was no longer unpacking; just standing there.

“Ermmm,” I searched for something to say to break the awkward moment. “How do you know he’s 27 if she isn’t telling anyone?”

Brian smirked, “I was flipping through her school diary the other day and found ‘Quinn’s 27th birthday’ written on one of the pages. She really shouldn’t use school diaries for personal things.”

It seemed wrong to go through a diary, whether it be a school diary or personal diary, but I wasn’t about to voice that opinion.

“Well, if she and Mikey aren’t coming then we’re not going to have much of a rehearsal. How about we just chill today?” Stina suggested.

“You guys can, I gotta run,” I said and left. There was something about Brian I wasn’t fond of, or didn’t feel comfortable with. Stina gave me a stern look but I ignored it and headed for Mikey’s place. I wanted to find out what was wrong with him.

I stopped as I reached his street. Was I being too clingy? Maybe he just needed some space. Perhaps I was just overreacting. My cautious side kicked in and I decided to hang at the park for a little while before going home. I sat on the swings and swung dully, sipping my tea and remembering the fun times I spent with Ellie.

“See ya tomorrow bro!” I heard someone shout. I knew exactly who it was without seeing him; it sounded like Mikey, only a little deeper. I prayed that he would walk straight through the park and not bother me but he didn’t. Jordan saw me and stopped in his tracks.

“Hey, it’s the kid from last night!” he remarked. “What you doing here?”

“Uhh… Y’know… Just chilling,” I responded nervously.

“This side of town and didn’t invite Mikes? That’s a little bitch-tardy isn’t it?”

I kept my eyes to the ground and didn’t say anything. I heard his footsteps get louder until he sat himself down on the swing next to me. I could smell a mixture of booze and what could only be some foul drug on him.

“Aww, don’t be like that,” he said patronizingly, “I’m sorry if I scared you last night. Why don’t we be friends? I can let you in on all of Mikey’s dirty secrets.”

I looked up at him, almost tempted to ask ‘what dirty secrets?’ but figured they’d all be lies anyway.

“Let’s start with a little secret to whet your appetite, he’s never had a girlfriend,” Jordan continued.

I was feeling increasingly uncomfortable and was regretting ever coming to this park. Jordan practically spat on me as he spoke. Why on earth was he bothering to talk to me anyway? “Yeah… I know that,” I said.

“Bet you don’t know why…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please [constructively negative or positive] :)