Dance to This Beat

Is it Still Me That Makes You Sweat?

I walked outside to get the mail the next morning. Can I just say there is absolutely nothing better than walking outside and finding your hot neighbor shirtless?

I don’t care if I can’t, ‘cause I just did.

“Hey,” I said, walking over to the fence.

He looked up from his mail. “Oh, hey. I didn’t even hear you come out.”

“I guess I’m just quiet,” I laughed.

“So how was the first night?”

“Uh, loud.”

He nodded. “Vegas tends to be loud.”

“No! I meant the storm, dork!”

“Oops,” he laughed.

I rolled my eyes and joined him in laughing, but just as I was about to say something, his phone rang.

He looked at the screen. “I’ve gotta take this, it’s one of my band mates.”

“Okay.” I nodded and walked over to our mailbox.

“Yeah.… Can I bring a friend?… So?… Okay, see ya there.” He hung up. “Claire?”

“Yeah?” I asked.

“You wanna come to Starbucks and meet some of my friends?”

“Sure, let me go tell my mom real quick.”

I ran inside while Jon went to go get his car keys ... and hopefully not put a shirt on.

“Momma!”

She came out of the kitchen. “Yes?”

“I’m goin’ to Starbucks with Jon. He wants me to meet his friends.”

“Okay,” she laughed.

I ran to the full-length mirror in the downstairs bathroom and checked out my outfit. I was wearing a black Hawthorne Heights tank top with a pair of dark skinny jeans and a dirty pair of Converse. I put the clasp of my necklace (it’s a guitar pick autographed by Casey Calvert) in the back and walked back to the hall closet.

“I’m leavin’,” I called, as I grabbed my faded My Chemical Romance tote out of the closet.

When I got to Jon’s car, he was waiting inside of it with The Beatles playing on the stereo.

“Great tunes,” I pestered, getting into the passenger seat.

He blushed and started to turn it off, but I stopped him. “I was bein’ serious. I really like The Beatles.”

“A chick from the South who has a taste in some good music, I’m surprised.”

“Not all the music I like is good,” I stated, as Jon started to drive off towards Starbucks.

When we got there, Jon led me over to a table with two girls and three boys sitting at it. I guessed the guys were Jon’s band mates and the girls were probably their girlfriends.

“Hey guys,” Jon said. “This is Claire, my new neighbor. Claire this is,” he went around the table making introductions, “Ryan, our guitarist and lyricist; Spencer, our drummer; Brendon, our singer; Spencer’s sister, Mary; and my girlfriend, Dawn.”

“Hi.” I smiled at everyone.

Jon and I sat down; me sitting next to Ryan, and him sitting next to Dawn.

------

“So did you have fun?”

I looked over at him. “Yeah, everybody seemed great.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Just tired, I didn’t get enough sleep last night ‘cause of the storm an’ all.”

“You seemed fine this morning,” he pried.

I sighed.

“Fine, I was just wondering.”

“I’m sorry. I just found out why my momma and daddy got the divorce and it’s still kinda settin’ in, the shock, ya know?” I lied.

“Yeah,” he nodded and something told me he really did know.