Dance to This Beat

Harlequin Girls

*One Month Later*

“Hello, my boyfriend, Jon Walker,” I laughed as I walked out the front door and saw him sitting on his front porch.

“Hello, my girlfriend, Claire Williams,” he replied.

“So guess what.”

“What?”

“I got the application from Marshall.”

“University? As in West Virginia?”

“Yeah.… Marshall University, my dream school.”

He nodded sadly.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, it’s just we’re meeting with Pete Wentz today and I’m just nervous.”

“Y’all are gonna get signed, trust me. And don’t freak about that, I’ll be your number one groupie, I promise,” I said, walking over to the stairs.

“You swear?”

“Cross my heart and hope to die.”

“Please don’t die,” he smiled.

“I won’t. Unless you kiss me like you did when I stayed the night at your house. That would kill me.”

“Was it that bad?”

“Bullshit, it was amazing.”

------

“The hospice is a relaxing weekend getaway where you’re a cut above all the rest. Sick and sad patients on first name basis with all the top physicians,” Brendon sang.

Ryan looked over at me and I gave him a thumbs up and a huge grin.

Pete stood up off the beaten couch next to me. “Guys, I think you’re great. How’d you like to be signed to my record label?”

All the guys exchanged shocked and excited glances.

“Yeah, that’d be cool.” Spencer said calmly while the others jumped up and down squealing (they kind of reminded me of a bunch of girls).

“Okay, well I have to get going, my plane leaves in two hours, but I’ll be in touch,” Pete said with a huge grin on his face.

After he left I joined the squealing idiots. Oops, I mean my friends.

“Oh my God, guys!”

“I know!” Bren exclaimed, jumping up and down.

“Dude, you guys have to call me every night while you’re on tour.”

“Trust me, we will,” Jon said, kissing the top of my head.

“Oooooooh,” Ryan and Spencer cooed.

“Shut up.”

“No, I will not shut up, Claire,” Spencer said. “You’re not my mommy, you can’t tell me what to do.”

“I can go get your ‘mommy’,” Brendon laughed. “She’s inside with your grandmommy.”

“Fuck you.”

“That’s what she said.”

After that Spencer chased Bren around Jon and me.

“Guys,” Ryan said, finally grabbing Spence, “That’s enough.”

“You’re just jealous that we know how to have fun,” Brendon said following Jon and me out the garage door and to the pool.

“I can have fun,” Ry protested.

“Prove it.”

Him and Spencer joined us at the pool. He gave me a look. I understood exactly what he meant.

Brendon was standing at the edge of the pool and I was already in. I moved away from Brendon. Ryan came up and pushed him in.

“Dude!”

Just then, Spencer decided to do a huge cannonball.

I burst out laughing as Ryan ducked under water and Brendon got absolutely drenched (even more so than he already was).

------

“Today was fun,” I said to Jon as we walked home hand-in-hand.

“Yeah. It was.”

Other than those words, it was a quiet walk home.

“Jon?” I asked as we reached my front door.

“Yeah?”

“When you guys leave and you meet some really beautiful girl and you haven’t been around me for months, will you forget me?”

“You’re insane. I could never forget you. In a matter of a two months I’ve fallen for you. Hard. Claire, I love you, and even if we break up, when I’m old and decrepit, I won’t forget you and I’ll always love you."

I smiled and a few tears ran down my face. “I love you, too.”

He wiped the tears off my cheeks. “You mean the world to me.”

After he said that, he bent down and kissed me passionately. “You always will.”