Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 10: Sore Loser

I didn’t think; I just dove.

Just as I was about to be pinned by the rush of Energy, my body shot to the right, just escaping by the skin of my teeth.
I didn’t know what his ability was, exactly, but I wasn’t going to wait to find out.

My arms hit the ground first and I tucked my body in, tumbling forward before skidding to a stop. I jumped up to my feet and took on a defensive stance.
Damn, think…think!

Whatever Varsalo was attacking me with was fast---and it was barely visible when standing still; when I’m moving, it was practically impossible to see it!

I saw Varsalo’s hand open and he turned, shoving his open palm in my direction. The swirling clear haze
curved smoothly and rolled towards me at his command.
“Shit!” I swore, getting ready to dive again.
The Energy whips split into three tails, all whipping and writhing like a dense group of venomous snakes.

So this is Varsalo’s ability…

I jumped, just as the first tail struck down. The force was scary; it missed but I still felt stinging on my back from the aftershock that shoved out to the side. It was enough to throw my center of balance off.

But what can it actually do?

The ground met my left side first, and I felt myself slide across the smooth marble floor. My right hand shot out and slapped down on the flawless surface, trying to slow myself down.
Everything was moving in a blur and I couldn’t see it, but I felt it coming.

I pushed myself off of the ground and jumped high into the air, just as the feeling of icy needles shot at my back. It was numbing and lifeless---and I didn’t like how close they felt.
A plan, Zavius, a plan! my head screamed at me.
There must be some sort of strategy, something to---

Something wound tightly around my left arm, catching me mid-air. My mind processed and took in everything that was going on in half a second.

A whiptail was wrapped securely onto my forearm, pulling my body down fast. On the other end was Varsalo. He smirked, his eyes swirling bright purple.

Icy needles came down from all sides, dangerously close. It was way too close, just skimming me as it closed all forms of escape.
I was trapped.

I tugged at my left arm, trying desperately to pull it free. I was going to hit the ground, and at this rate, the Energy tails would bring down the end of it.
My eyes caught sight of Varsalo---and in an instant, numbness took over my panicked thoughts.

Wait a minute…wait! Just think…
The movement of his abilities, the angle of my body, Varsalo’s location---

I still have a chance.

Without wasting a moment, my right hand reached into my right pocket and fished out Zarda’s compact dagger. I flicked the dagger out of its fold, flipped the blade in my hand and shot it right at Varsalo. Not taking time to slow down, I wrapped my left arm around the whiptail, took a firm hold on it and yanked.

My quick-thought plan worked; I felt my falling body redirect at the force of my pull and suddenly, I was shooting straight towards my opponent like a bullet.
I saw Varsalo’s eyes go wide, and the purple hue of his eyes diminished as if the trance was broken. In the same moment, the Energy tails faltered, giving me just enough time for this to work. He jumped back to avoid the dagger.

But he still had the whip in his hand.

I slipped out of his Energy’s reach, and tugged on the whip once again. I twisted to the right and pulled my right arm back, my fingers curling into a tight fist.
The second I was about to crash into Varsalo, I snapped my fist forward with all my strength.

I felt my sharp jab connect with his face and damn, did it feel awesome.

Varsalo was thrown off his feet on impact, his body twisting in the air. I tucked forward as I fell with the momentum of my punch, tumbling on the floor. My right arm shot out, and fished the dagger off the floor where it had landed.
I rolled into a low crouch, pulling myself swiftly onto my feet.
From the corner of my eye just few feet away, I saw Varsalo face-plant into the marble, and almost immediately, he started to recover.
All I needed was this one step, and finally---

…win.

“Strike.” I declared, holding the dagger at Varsalo’s throat.

I saw Varsalo stiffen, all movement growing cold. He looked over his shoulder and up at me, disbelief at my declaration of victory to the fight clear in his shocked expression.
The Elder’s Hall was completely silent yet again, everyone in the same state of shock.
I couldn’t help it. I grinned right back at Varsalo.

And then, a sound of solo clapping broke through the tension.
“Splendid!” Sir Elder Ravador boomed. “Well done, Zavius!”

I straightened to a stand and backed off from Varsalo, giving him the room to get up. I folded the dagger back into its sleeve before making my way back to where everyone else was.

Thya was the first one to come back to life from the shocked silence.
“Zavius!” she yelled out, launching herself at me.
Her body collided against mine, her arms wrapping tightly around my neck.
I caught her, the collision sending up both spinning.
“Ow, Thya!” I grunted, slowly setting her down.
Thya laughed joyously, not letting me go.
“That was incredible, Zavius! You won!...Oh my, you really won!” she babbled excitedly.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” I demanded, pulling back to take a look at her.
She just laughed again, pulling me back into a hug.
“Oh, just my way of saying, ‘I knew you had it in you, Double-Trouble Two!’” Thya hummed innocently. “Take the compliment and love it.”

Zarda came over and stopped just three feet away. I nodded at him in acknowledgment.
“Here,” I said and tossed the folding dagger his way. “A sly trick, that one.”
Zarda caught the dagger easily with one hand, the other casually tucked in his pants pocket.
“You owe me; I saved your sorry ass.” he said.
“Yea? You think so?” I returned.

Zarda stared at me, and I stared back.
Then, a huge grin cracked on my twin’s face.

“That was some awesome ass-kicking you showed.” he said, punching me lightly in the shoulder.
I would’ve punched him back, but Thya was still attached to my side. So instead, I grinned back.
“Yea, I know.” I said. “I’m kinda surprised myself.”

“That was quite a spectacular display, Zavius.”

I looked up ahead over Thya’s head, to see Sir Elder Ravador standing there, his posture straight and elegant. He smiled at me, his wise eyes gazing at me kindly.
“I am sure Varsalo also agrees.”

I twisted around to take a look.

Varsalo was just starting to get up all the way, slowly pulling himself onto his hands and knees. Druce was standing beside his pupil, looking both weary and a bit concerned. He reached down and took hold of him by his elbow, helping him to his feet.
The moment he was up, Varsalo yanked his arm out of Druce’s grip, glaring fiercely.

Heh, what a sore loser.

Thya let me go and turned to the Supreme Elder.
“Sir, was it really necessary for them to fight?” she asked.

A thoughtful look came over the Elder’s face.
“Well, I suppose no, not really. My definite word should have sufficed.”
I frowned.
“But then why?” I asked.
Sir Ravador sighed, slight fatigue shadowing his face.
“I thought that this method would have worked much efficiently in this case.” he sighed, his gaze turning back to Varsalo.

Mivian, Sarvwen and Mjoré came over closer to where we were.
“So?” Mivian said, sounding impatient. “Are you going to give us an explanation for the mother load, old man?”
Sir Ravador sighed again.
“Yes, I plan to do so now.” he said.

He turned and glided back to his desk. He swept smoothly up onto the platform and around his desk before settling down in his chair.
“Now that you are satisfied, I believe I have a number of details I need to address.” he said, bringing his fingertips together.

Instantly we were quiet again, waiting for him to continue. I felt anticipation bubbling inside me again.

“I have decided on an advanced promotion for the Summoned group for a number of given reasons. Firstly, from past reports and training data you have all gathered individually, it is evident that your skills and techniques are marked as excelling and superior in your current ranks.” the Chief Elder said. “Your files were part of the list of names for consideration when recent events and its turnout brought your names up to the surface.”

Unexpected events? Its turnout?
Did he mean about us being there uninvited when they brought the thing into our world?
But then---

“Wait a minute,” I blurted out, cutting in. “Why did you call Zarda here, then? He didn’t see the thing being carried into Galiasis. He’s completely clean.”
“Yes, that’s true.” Mjoré allowed, catching my attention from the side. “But we didn’t think you guys could keep something of this magnitude quiet from him, seeing especially that he is one of the surprise participant’s twin brother.
She turned her gaze pointedly my way. I grimaced slightly and looked away.
I heard Sir Ravador chuckle.
“But your brother, of course, is also on the list for advancement alongside yourself.” he said. “So in conclusion to all factors he, too, was lifted off the list to be Summoned here today.”

“But what does all this have to do with the Electus mission?” Sarvwen asked.

The Chief Elder paused, taking time to gaze at us all. Then he let out a small sigh.
“The events and contents of the mission hold rather delicate matters I would very much rather keep silent to the outside ears. I need to assemble a team that will assist in containing anything pertaining to the Electus mission.” he replied, his expression grave. “That includes any obtained data, information and rumors.”

“Rumors?” I echoed. “What could rumors do?”

Sir Ravador smiled slightly, gazing at me knowingly.

“In passing time you will learn that words can be sharpest of swords to wound one’s heart.” he murmured.

I didn’t get what he was trying to say. Unsure if I was supposed to give him some sort of response, I just stood there, still confused.
Sir Ravador looked back to the rest of the group, returning back to the topic.
“Of course, it is only natural for rumors to stir in events of these kinds. All I am looking for is for the rumors to remain harmless. All of this will be your jobs.”
“But who could it possibly harm, Sir?” Sarvwen asked.
“In due time, Sarvwen, you will find out.” the Supreme Elder replied.
“Now, returning back to the root of all this---”

Sir Ravador stopped, his wise pale blue eyes flickering up to the ceiling. I followed his gaze up to find a silvery-white glowing orb, floating and bobbing lightly in the air.

A Messenger.

I saw Sir Ravador rise up, returning my attention back to him. His expression was very serious as he reached up towards the orb with an open palm.
The shimmering orb descended, flowing down softly towards Sir Ravador. It landed soundlessly at his fingertips, and the glow of the orb started to pulse at his touch. There was a pause as he deciphered the message.

“Hmm… it seems that my attention is needed elsewhere.” he said, his expression becoming very troubled.

With that, out Supreme Elder glided back around his desk and down from the raised platform swiftly.
“Regrettably, we will have to do this some other time.” he announced. “Thya, would you accompany me, please.”

Thya blinked, surprise clear in her expression.
“Yes, sir.” she replied, and started to follow him.

“Wait, sir!” I heard Zarda call after him. “What happened to the captured beast?”
Sir Ravador paused, almost hesitating.
“…The creature…no longer poses as a threat.” he replied.

Wait…did that mean---

Thya and Sir Ravador had gotten halfway down the hall when Sir Ravador turned back towards us.
“Druce, Mjoré… I shall leave the rest to you.” he said, placing a hand on Thya’s shoulder.

Then, they were gone.

We just stood there, staring in silence.
“What?” I breathed, incredulous disbelief rising to the surface.
I looked at Zarda, who just shrugged back.
Really…did that just really happen?

“Wow, that must be so nice.”

I wheeled around to see Varsalo sauntering over to where we were. He stopped a whole ten yards away from Sarvwen, who didn’t even turn all the way, sparing him barely a glance.
“Hmm?” Sarvwen said, his voice dark.

Behind Varsalo, I saw Druce and Mjoré arguing in hushed voices. Druce looked darkly pissed, almost hateful at something, though it didn’t seem to be directed at his mission partner. Mjoré looked exasperated at Druce, seemingly trying to reason with him.
I saw Druce shake his head. He wheeled around disappeared in a flash.

I heard Varsalo scoff, returning my attention back to him.
“I was just thinking, how great it must be to be the boss’s favorite.” he said coolly.
“Fuck off, Varsalo. Get out of here before you get your ass beat again.” Mivian spat from behind Sarvwen.
Varsalo gave the blond a look of disgust.
“I wasn’t talking about you, worthless. So get lost.” he snarled.
Mivian started to step forward, her fingers curling into fists. Sarvwen motioned her off.
“What are you saying? We haven’t received any special treatment from Sir Elder Ravador.” he said.
Varsalo laughed humorlessly, shaking his head.
“Nothing too special for you guys, but look at that girl, Thya. She’s practically Ravador’s pet.” he snickered.
Sarvwen was silent, not responding at all. I, on the other hand was starting to get pissed again.

What the hell was wrong with this guy?

“It’s ridiculous how devoted she is to him, tagging him around like a sick puppy. What a pest! I don’t know how boss can deal with it.” Varsalo said.

I saw Mivian flinch. Her eyes snapped towards Sarvwen, shock and bewilderment written all over her face.
“Hey---” she spoke out, hesitant and careful.

Varsalo went on, completely oblivious to what Mivian had picked up.
“And now she’s getting an advanced promotion? That girl is a wimp; she tries to resolve every form of conflict without a fight. I don’t even want to know what kind of dirty underhand trick that leech used…ugh, sick.” he said, grimacing dramatically.
I felt hot blood pumping through my head again. My jaws locked and my muscles tensed.
This jackass was asking for it.

Suddenly, I felt a light jab on my arm.
“Hey,” Zarda hissed. “Look at Mivian.”

I looked back at Mivian, confused.
Mivian was standing just two or three feet away from Sarvwen. Her posture was stiff, her eyes wide as she looked as if to be on the edge of her nerves.
Then I saw her take a step back, the movement deliberately slow and careful. She continued to inch away, creating a safe distance between herself and Sarvwen.

What was she doing?

Varsalo was still going.
“I mean, how else could she---she has no special skills or outstanding ability. Just like you…uh, Sam, was it?” Varsalo sneered. “You two are the odd men out of this supposedly elected team!”
“Back off already, you fuck!” Mivian shot out, both angrily and a bit frantically as her eyes flickered between the two Slayers. “Sarvwen’s a Healer, an awesome one at that! And Thya can kick your ass with one snap of her fingers!”
Varsalo laughed.
“Yea, I’m sure that’s how she took down Ravador’s will of steel. Bring it; I actually invite her to take me down.” he scoffed. “And what use is a Healer in combat? HA! I can picture it; on a battlefield against the Fiends, that Thya girl will take down a whole army of the Fallen by seducing them to---”

The next half second Varsalo was on the ground, writhing and gasping for air. Sarvwen was nowhere to be seen.

“Ah…damn.” I mused.
I should’ve seen that one coming.

“What the hell was that?!” a voice came from behind us.
Zarda and I wheeled around to find Mivian behind us again. Zarda raised an eyebrow at her, and I gave her the same amused look.
“That was probably Sarvwen’s ability.” Zarda said.
Probably?” Mivian echoed incredulously.
“Well, probably.” I said.
“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” she demanded.
“We can never be sure. That’s probably all we’ll ever see of it.” Zarda said.
Probably.” I agreed. “Lucky you; you witnessed it right up close.”
What up close? I didn’t see crap! Dammit, was that really his ability? He did that?!” she demanded, pointing to Varsalo.

Zarda and I exchanged looks and shrugged.
“Probably.” we said in sync.

Mivian let out an infuriated cry.
Vardavit!” she swore. “What is his ability?!”

Zarda reached back behind us and pulled her forward.
“Oh look, there he is again. Just listen; he may just tell you.” he said, nodding forward pointedly.

Mivian looked up and I followed her gaze.

Sure enough, there stood Sarvwen, hovering over the struggling form of Varsalo. His expression was ice-cold.
“Damn, remind me not to piss off Sarvwen.” Zarda mused.
I whistled, surprised that the nice-guy Sarvwen could put on an expression like that.
“Ditto.” I said.

Varsalo was trying to pull himself up onto all fours.
“I---I can’t breathe.” he rasped.
Sarvwen scoffed, something I rarely see him do.
“Pathetic.” he muttered coolly. “That was disappointing for someone who boasts a lot.”
Varsalo rolled over onto his back, shaking and grunting in pain.
“What did you do to me?” he gasped out between breaths.
Sarvwen slowly lowered himself to kneel beside him, one arm casually resting on his knee.
One: No matter how skilled or able you are, you won’t see this coming. Two: By the time you’ve figured out something is up, it’s too late. Sound familiar?” he said.

Varsalo strained to lift his head off the ground. He let out a groan and slumped back against the marble floor.
“What the hell did you do to me?” he demanded, gasping.
Sarvwen let out a sly smirk, laughing silently.
“Quite simple, actually. I punched you a few times.”
Varsalo let out a strange choking sound.
“Yea, right.” he gasped.

I motioned Mivian to follow me as I started towards Sarvwen. Confusion covered her face, and she looked from me to where Varsalo was lying and back to me.
“Trust us, Mivian. Seeing is believing.” Zarda said, nudging her from behind.

We approached Sarvwen and Varsalo then, keeping enough distance so it was only close enough to see what was going on.

Sarvwen was still staring coldly at Varsalo. Then, he reached down and pulled his shirt up.
“What---what the hell are you doing?” Varsalo gasped.

His shirt was lifted all the way up to reveal his abdomin and chest---and a number of harsh blotchy discoloring over his pale skin.
“Relax, I’m just answering your question.” Sarvwen sighed in annoyance.
He motioned to Varsalo’s bruised abdomin.
“Seven hits to the front; first two was the low hooks to the left and right lumbar region.” he said. “These completely immobilized you.”
He then pointed to the two bruises on his ribs.
“The next to go was the thorasic region to stun your breathing.” he said. “And one more to the sternum---to disrupt your heartbeat.”

Sarvwen straightened to a stand, sighing tiredly.
“And then the final blow---straight cutting jab to the umbilical region.” he said, pointing to the dark, most painful looking bruise on his stomach.
“That stopped your Energy flow--- you won’t be able to Heal without medical assistance.”

“Hey Sarv,” I called out. “That’s only six hits.”
Sarvwen looked at me with an innocently surprised expression.
“Oh, I thought you’d noticed. The last one was to the jaw.”
Varsalo groaned, still trying to get up.
“Oh? And what did that one do?” Zarda asked, amused.
“Absolutely nothing but cause more pain.” Sarvwen returned. “I just felt like punching him in the face.”

Then his expression became dark again as he turned back to Varsalo.
“I may just be an amateur Healer, but it doesn’t mean I’m useless in combat. If anything it makes me stronger.” he spoke lowly. “If I know how to fix a body, I sure as hell know how to break one. And with that skill combined with my ability, I have the ultimate weapon to my arsenal.”
“Your ability…” Varsalo croaked out, and then coughing.
Sarvwen’s cold expression didn’t melt one bit.
“Speed.” he said. “My ability is defying space and time. I can move much faster than any Immortal Slayer. That is why…”
Sarvwen leaned forward so his face was hovering over Varsalo’s.
“No one knows what my ability is until it’s too late.”

Varsalo grimaced again, pain twisting his features.

Sarvwen straightened to a stand and let out a heavy sigh.
“If you can’t even take me on, Thya’s no match for you. She’s not the cheap, weak, brainless whore you seemed to have thought her to be.” he said.

With that, he turned around and started to walk away.
Varsalo groaned again for the hundreth time.
“Why…why is the sky falling?” he slurred.
Then he turned on his side and vomitted.

“Ew…sick.” I muttered, making a face as the three of us followed after Sarvwen.
Zarda was smiling slightly, looking somewhat satisfied.
“How rude; spewing in the Elder’s Hall.” he mused.
Mivian made a disgusted face towards Varsalo before following.

Mjoré was walking the opposite direction, going towards Varsalo as we were exiting the Elder’s Hall.
“I’m surprised you let him do that.” I said as we brushed past her.
Mjoré hummed lightly and shrugged.
“Eh, he had it coming.” she said. Then, she winked. “Besides, I didn’t see a thing. Don’t tell Druce, though.”
She nodded towards the exiting end of the Hall.
“Go on; I left the teleport gate open for you guys. You’re free to go.”

We thanked her before we made our way out of the Elder’s Hall.
It wasn’t until after we had caught up with Sarvwen when Mivian started talking.
“So which one of those hits caused the nausea and hallucinations?” she asked.

Sarvwen didn’t stop to look back at her.
“Huh, those must be from the hits I got on his back.” he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
WAHHHH!! I AM SOOO SORRY!! I DIDN'T MEAN TO!!

I swear, I didn't mean to miss the dealine by sooooo many days!! I can't even give you a great excuse or reason for it.
I am ashamed... TT_TT

I hope you guys don't hate me too much...if you don't you should.
But I am trying to make up for it!! I already have half of the next chapter for this, and PM started!! I'll finish those up ASAP and post it!!!

Oh, and check my journals for my update status. I'll update those everyday...from now on.

Uh...please, if it's not too much to ask for, or you want to comment on how pissed you are, click here...

Subscribe if you like, and don't be afraid to give me some criticism!! (though please don't be too harsh on me...XD)

~K