Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 12: The Sudden Change

My mood wasn’t exactly high-flying colors as I made my way towards the Lower Levels, where the main training area was. I wasn’t exactly sure why I was feeling the way I was; but going where I was heading felt like I was dragging lead feet.

Abilities, Immortality, Soul Memories…Legends, the Divinus and their gifts---what was all that about? And how did any of these things relate to the Electus, the mission or the mystery creature?

I let out a heavy sigh, readjusting the two books under my arm and carried on my way. I feel like I had gained more questions than answers on this whole issue.
I was making my way down the last huge stretch of stairs leading to the Training Grounds when I started to hear the lively bustling and commotion from the low-rank trainees drifting up to where I was.

Get your head on straight, Zavius. It’s time to deal with people.

I let out another sigh as I hopped down the last of the steps and stepped into the wide entrance of the vast Training Sector of the Lower Levels.

It was mildly crowded, about the same as always. Trainees taking a break were scattered in groups across the field floor, pairs sparring and dueling on the combat flat. The off-surface obstacle jungles raised high above ground level were also occupied with many flying and clashing bodies as they leaped from platform to platform, evading and parrying off their opponents’ shots and hits.

I quickly scanned through each training station.
No sign of Zarda.

After another quick scan, I drifted off to the next set of training stations. I kept myself close to the outer wall, out of the way of those practicing Warding and Techniques on the floor. I felt my skin buzz warmly as a number of different Pulses---sources of Energy---stirred to life, close to me.

Still no sign of Zarda. Funny, maybe he was in the Target Long-Distance Station---

“---Watch out!”

I stiffened at the shrill cry when I felt the comfortable buzzing sensation suddenly turn into icy needles on my right side. I ducked, bringing my arms up defensively just as a sudden flashing bolt of bright green shot into the wall, right where my head had been just seconds before. There was a loud crackling boom and my ears popped.
It was like a firework had gone off above my head.

“Sorry! Oh geez…Sorry!” a frantic voice wailed.

I blinked, dazed. I shook my head out to clear my mind.
No, not quite right with the hearing.
I gave myself a hard smack on the side of the head, trying to knock out the annoying ringing.

Deus! I’m really, really, sorry! I wasn’t trying to hit you, I swear! I didn’t know what I was doing---I swear, it was an accident!”

I finally turned to the rambling to find that it was a girl. She had a uniform on that signed that she was two ranks below me. She had dark straight hair that was gathered back in a neat ponytail, loose strands framing her small face. Her wide, dark brown eyes stared at me, almost as if she was afraid of what I might do next.

What? It wasn’t like I was going to kill her.

She was still going on when I raised a palm to cut her off.
“It’a alright; no harm done.” I said, still trying to un-pop my ears.

I bent down to collect the books I had dropped and straightened to a stand, brushing the front of Zarda’s jacket as I went.
“See? In one piece.”
The girl looked at me, looking very skeptical. She kept looking over my body with worried, prying eyes.
“Are you sure? Nothing hurts, nothing bleeding---”
I laughed, shaking my head a little.
“Honestly, I’m fine. My ears are still popped, but otherwise I’m completely okay.” I reassured, grinning.
The girl blinked, almost as if she was caught offguard.
“Really?” she asked.

I rolled my eyes, almost sighing. I glanced back at the wall where the bold of light had crashed and saw that a good three-feet diameter spot was charred black into the surface.
“Huh,” I mused. “Pretty impressive. You did that?”

The girl blinked, frowning. She looked over my shoulder and at the wall.
“Ah…um, yea.” she muttered, grimacing. “Yikes, um, really, is there anything I could do to make up for this?”
I just smiled, really surprised at her genuine expression.
“There isn’t anything to make up for.” I reassured her. “I’m Zavius…by the way.”
I offered a hand in greeting. The girl took it gratefully.
“Rowen.” she said. “I would say it’s a pleasure, but there isn’t anything pleasureable in knowing that I almost killed you.”
Rowen then frowned.
“Zavius…I think I’ve heard that name before. Have we met?”

This time, I was the one grimacing.

“No…not that I know of.” I said. I scrambled for a change in subject.
“Ah, speaking of making up for the encounter…you wouldn’t happened to see my brother, have you? He looks exactly like me, same height, same face---”

“Zavius!”

I turned, looking up towards the high ceiling at the voice that suddenly called out. I saw a shadow fall over where we stood, a lean figure falling right at us. I felt a rush of air flow into my side as the intruder made his landing.

Zarda straightened smoothly into a stand, recovering quickly from his high drop.

…Where the heck did he drop from?

“Zavius,” my twin repeated, a look of relief coming over him. “Finally! I’ve been looking all over for you.”
I frowned.
“Uh…me too?” I said unsurely, shifting the grip on the books. I turned to Rowen.
“Never mind; I found him.” I told her.
Rowen looked from me to Zarda a number of times, a mildly surprised look in her expression.
“Twins,” she said, but as if waiting for a secure comfirmation.
“Yea; Zarda is my older twin.” I replied, just as Zarda came over a bit more closer.
“Zarda, this is Rowen. Rowen, my brother Zarda.”
Zarda looked at Rowen and blinked.
“Charmed.” he said politely, nodding.

He glanced sideways at me with a quick questioning look. I heard Rowen let out an awkward, nervous laugh.
“We, uh, just met.” she said vaguely.
I grinned when Zarda raised an eyebrow.
“She almost blew my head off.” I explained, glancing over pointedly at the charred spot on the wall.

That set off an alarm. Rowen looked panicked as she looked at both of us.
“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to---well, I wasn’t trying to blow anybody’s head off…and I wouldn’t! Zavius, really, I swear it on my life that it was an accident--- believe me, I would never hurt a stranger; I would never hurt your twin brother, Zarda…sir, Zarda, Zavius…gah, Sir!”

I broke out laughing, and Zarda smiled.
“Sheesh, you’re really apollogetic, aren’t you?” I chuckled. “And none of that ‘sir’ crap; we’re not stiff on the class and ranking thing.”

Zarda slung an arm over my shoulder, pulling me into a half-choke hold.
“Yea, if it wasn’t for the strict mandatory rule on uniforms in this place, Zav here would be running around naked.
“Would not.” I protested, elbowing him in the rib.
“Oh yea? Says the one who doesn’t even have a shirt on.” he snorted.

I grimaced and turned to Rowen, who looked a bit thrown off.
“Ah…I don’t, but there is a good reason to it.” I said warily.
But Rowen held her open hands up to stop me.
“I’m sure there is, but I don’t need to know.” she laughed. “But it’s a good thing your brother was nice enough to lend you his jacket.”
Then she started again.
“Oh, well…I mean, I just assumed that he did, because your brother doesn’t have his uniform jacket, and the jacket you have on seems to fit you just fine…Not that I was really checking that; you guys are twins and--- Deus, I’m rambling again. I’m sorry…”

I blinked, and Zarda raised an eyebrow.

“No, you assumed correct.” Zarda said, laughing a little. “I did lend him my jacket. And it’s fine; no harm in rambling.”

Then, a sudden look of realization flashed across his expression, and Zarda looked over his shoulder, his attention shifting.
“Ah…shit.” he suddenly muttered.
He then turned back to Rowen.
“Uh…it was nice meeting you, Rowen. But we really have to go.” he said, smiling politely at her.

He then turned around, grabbing my arm before starting to move swiftly back towards the above ground obstacle course.

“Hey---” I started to protest. I stumbled and looked back at Rowen.
“Uh, see you around,” I blurted hastily.

I saw a started look on the girl’s face as she just waved, right before she was out of my view.

Zarda was still dragging me along when I turned forward.
“Well that was abrupt and rude.” I muttered as I caught up with my twin.
Zarda grimaced slightly and let go of my arm.
“I know and I’m sorry, but I was in a bit of a hurry.” he said, not stopping. “It had nothing to do with her, I promise.”
I frowned, not really getting what my twin was up to.

Zarda finally came to a stop right before the obstacle course--- just thirty yards below the lowest platform.
I eyed the platform, unsure of what was supposed to happen next.
“So what’s the hurry?” I asked.

Zarda didn’t reply as he looked up at the obstacle. He didn’t even glance at me when he bent down to the ground and shot into the air.
“Hey!” I shouted after him.
I saw my twin land smoothly onto the closest platform. He looked down at me briefly before leaping up to the next closest one.
I sighed, scratching my head.
“What the hell…” I muttered.

Gripping the two books tightly under one arm, I dropped low to the ground and launched myself into the air after Zarda.

I followed him up levels and levels of the above ground obstacle course, not even stopping for a minute. The climb itself was fairly easy; we just leaped platform to platform all the way.
But what business could we possibly have way up here?

It felt like I was a mile up when the last platform came into view. My feet tapped lightly on the flat surface I was on as I landed, and I vaulted into the air for the last stretch---

Zarda was already sitting and waiting when I touched down onto the top and final platform.
“You made it.” he said, grinning.
I snorted.
“Of course I did; easy.” I replied.
I walked over to where he was and flopped down right beside him.
“So what was all the hurrying about?” I asked.
“There was no hurry.” Zarda said.
“Then why the hell---”
“It was more the matter of urgency than anything.” he explained.

I frowned, very confused.

“Uh…what could be so urgent?” I asked.
Zarda breathed out slowly, his expression deep in thought.
“I thought up here would be a better place to talk privately.” he said. “The truth is, I just received more orders concerning our current rank status.”
“More orders,” I echoed.
Zarda nodded once.
Those of the party concerning advanced promotions are to forthwith carry out training responsibilities in designated private sessions only.” he said. “I just got this order the moment I walked in. We have five hours to comply.”
“What the hell do they mean, ‘designated private sessions only’?”I demanded. “I don’t remember getting an assignment for something like that.”
“Most likely we’ll be given that assignment very soon.” Zarda replied. “But for certain, we can’t be seen in the Training Sector for the time being. ”
I scowled.
“Seen…how the hell would they even know, anyways?”

Zarda looked at me, his expression still clouded. He got up and approached the very edge of the platform we were on.
“Look. From here you can see.” he murmured.
Bewildered, I got up and went to stand over the ledge.
“In every corner of every station; at least three tagging each of us.”

My eyes flickered quickly through the crowd, scanning for anything out of place.
It only took a moment before I caught sight of them.

Seven hooded figures, like the ones from the barrier grounds three days ago, stood scattered through the vast Training Sector, their uniformed black cloaks blending them into the shadows.
And those were the only ones I could actually see.
None of them moved, and not one of them showed their faces under the black of their hoods. They stood hidden and unnoticed…like perfect statues.

“What the hell are they here for?” I hissed, my eyes darting through the sea of trainees at each of them.
“I can’t say for sure.” Zarda mumured. “But if they are assigning the Elites to babysit, this is something serious.”
I clicked my tongue, a little unnerved.
“But why are the Electus watching us? We’re not the threat!” I argued.
“I don’t know. But clearly, we’re posing a threat to something.” Zarda said calmly.
He then turned fully to me.
“Zavius, whatever it is that we saw three days ago, whatever happened on that mission…this is much bigger than us. This is no game.”
I bit back a scoff that threatened to escape my throat.
“A game…of course not; they’re just playing with us by keeping us in the dark.” I muttered. “We’re not the ones that nearly killed three high-ranked Immortals.”

I heard Zarda sigh as he stepped back from the ledge.
“I know. This is all frustrating.” he said. “But I also know that Sir Elder Ravador wouldn’t do something like pulling in the Electus as resource just for the hell of it. We best just go by what they give us and wait it out.”

I glanced back at my brother, and then back at the Electus positioned out in the Sector.
“So what do we do now?” I asked.
Zarda just gave me a lazy shrug.
“Play by their rules.” he said. “So on that note, I’m going to get a head start on that deadline and go back to my dwelling to wait for my private assignment.”

He started to back away, his back to the nearest ledge of the platform. Right when he was about an inch from stepping off, he stopped.

“Oh, and I want my jacket back a-s-a-p. I’m standing out a bit without it.” he said, grinning.

Then he shoved his hands into his pants pockets, leaned back, and let himself fall.

I scowled and clicked my tongue against my teeth. I leaned over and looked down past and under my platform.
Zarda was nowhere to be seen.
“Show-off.” I muttered.

I looked back out into the Training Sector, trying to pick out more moving shadows and dark cloaked figures. My eyes caught one near the foot of the above ground obstacle course, seemingly looking up towards me.

“Yea, yea.” I muttered. “I’m going, I’m going.”

I balanced the two books between my left forearm and body and stuffed my hands into my pants pockets, twisted around and stalked off to the opposite end of the platform.
Unlike Zarda, I chose a less dramatic way to get down and simply hopped off, feet first.

As I had expected, I had a long way to fall. Well, it wasn’t going to kill me so I may as well just fall non-stop all the wau to the ground.

I pulled my free arm up and slightly back behind me to keep my body straight as I fell, pointing my feet down to hold myself upright. The air howled and whistled in my ear as it pulled at my hair. I breathed in through my nostrils and filled my lungs with cool air.

Freefalling through space, the only thing I expected to stop me was a smooth landing at the end.
So the last thing I would have seen coming was a sabotage that came out of nowhere from a blindside.

I heard it; a deep loud roar, and felt the sting of my skin as it was suddenly overwhelmed by an impossible heat.
A force, not solid but powerful collided into me, sucking in my right arm.

I heard the singe of my hair and the bright orange red blaze flooded my view before I felt the searing pain.

I yelled out, the sound lost in the roar as I was shoved off balance and to the side. I felt my back hit a flat surface, much too soon to be the ground, the impact knocking the air out of my lungs. I heard myself gag, too stunned to even make an effort to stop the momentum of my body as I tumbled and slid.

Eventually, I came to a stop, but I couldn’t move. Pain was drilling deep into my skin on my right side, quickly sobering me from the shocked daze. I immediately recognized the feeling of second degree burns.
My eyes fell to my mangled right arm to confirm. Just as I thought; it was completely roasted.
I couldn’t get up from the twisted heap I was in. It was just enough for me to turn myself onto my left, unburned side.

I heard and felt someone land just three yards away from me, their landing much softer and easier than mine.
And suddenly, I felt cold.
I knew this presence…I know this---

“My, my…what do we have here?” a sickly sweet, yet menacing voice rang out.

My voice was stuck in my throat as I heard her come closer. Just a foot away, she stopped.

“You…” I rasped out, swollowing back a scream of pain. I tried pulling myself off the ground, but my muscles no longer responded.
Move…move

A flash of dark wine red hair flooded into my blurring view.

Deus, I just can’t get over those green eyes of yours.” Taeri practically growled, kneeling beside me. “The way they just pierce right through me…mmm, the way you look at me and no one else.

Fury flared in my chest, almost making me sick. Deliberately, I looked away, and shut my eyes.
“You’re sick.” I spat.
“Look at me!” Taeri snarled, grabbing my face and forcibly turning my face.
My eyes snapped open when I felt her hot breath on my cheek.
Taeri’s face was just inches away from mine, and something about her look made chills run through my skin.
Something was off about her, more so than usual---

I let out an involuntary hiss as a staggering ripple of pain shot through my right side. Damn, this wasn’t a normal burn.
“Aww, poor baby,” Taeri crooned nastily. “Does that hurt?”
I felt her long nails run against my cheek and neck as she went onto take my head into her hands.

And I couldn’t move a single muscle, lift a finger.
I couldn’t do a thing to stop her.

Disgust was building up bile in my throat when I saw her lips twist into a smile.
“Oh my dear Zavius, it’s nothing personal. But your brother Zarda hurt me deeply when he said all those things to me earlier today.” she whispered. “He needs to learn that he can’t handle me that way.”
She then slid the sleeve up on her right arm to reveal a slight yet noticable discolored bruise around her wrist where Zarda had grabbed her.
“An arm for an arm, right?”

The hot anger returned in a flash.
“Leave Zarda alone.” I snarled, forcing my voice out through the pain.

Taeri laughed, shaking her head.
“I did, love.” she crooned, stroking my face tenderly. “That is why I took your arm.”

I felt a sick jolt crawl down my spine when she leaned in closer.
“Now, I have you completely vulnerable…” she murmured.

Panic shot through me at her sly, eager tone. My mind scrambled to get strength back into my limbs.
Get up! I screamed silently to myself. Move!
Taeri mused and tsked at me.
“Ah-ah, no fighting, Zavius. Wouldn’t want to hurt yourself now,” she sighed.

“What the hell did you do to me?” I spat.
Taeri smirked darkly and gazed right into my eyes.
“I wanted some of your time, Zavius.” she said. “For that, I needed you to stay and sit still.”

Her eyes flickered down to my right side. Then, without a warning, her hand reached down and took a hard grip on my burnt forearm.

“GAH!!”

A sharp, layer-toned cry escaped me at the immediate and immense pain her touch brought.
“See? Isn’t that pain great? You can’t move, nevermind run without having me release my hold on you.” Taeri cried gleefully.
I could practically feel her Energy reeling in excitement on my skin.
“And all this,” she continued, giving my arm another rough painful shake. “This is just a constant reminder for you… so you will never forget that I’m always close.”

I struggled and fought, trying to get moving. My muscles twitched, but gave me nothing else.
All I could do was watch as Taeri got her way, leaning in yet another inch.

What the hell was wrong with her?
Even for Taeri, this was just too much. It was as if a sudden switch had taken place, from annoying persistent whoring to this violent instability.
---this was way out of hand.

Our eyes were locked onto each other.
No matter how horrifying I found it, I couldn’t deny how wrong all this must have looked from the outside.
All because I couldn’t move.

Finally I couldn’t look.
I swallowed the bile rising up to my throat and tried to look away.

Did no one else see what was going on?
Aren’t there other’s nearby?

Why can’t someone just yell out or something?

Before I knew it, I was retreating quickly back into my dark abyss.

I…need help.
…Someone please save me.


I felt Taeri’s nails scrape at my neck and her hot breath on my lips…

… !!! ...

In the dark depth of the abyss something stirred, quickly rising to the surface.

I think I felt Taeri stop and pull away abruptly.

---Water.

There was a fluid sound of water or some sort of liquid moving…and the sudden harsh rush and hiss of it hitting a solid.
Then I felt something wet and cold splash on me, instantly cooling the blazing agony.
I gasped, shock ripping through me on impact.
I heard Taeri yelp out, suddenly no longer there.
I think I heard a sharp gasp.

“What---?” Taeri started.

What the hell was going---

There was a deep soft rustling and out of nowhere, a thick, black and heavy fabric swished into view, filling my senses with a dark, cool and heavy silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
I sincerely apollogize for such a ridiculous delay in updates.
This summer has not gone as I wanted in regards to my stories.

Ah, also I would also like to say that I'm aware that a lot of wierd stuff happened in this chapter and it seems a bit rushed, out of the blue and very stiff. But trust me; this is what I intended. I planned this sudden change to bring about the next string of events.

Please comment on any complaints, likes, dislike, criticism, etc. you have on the story itself. I like hearing from my readers; it helps me grow as a writer.
Also, if you pick up any spelling/grammar errors I may have missed, let me know also.

I can promise you, I'll be working doubly, triple-y, even quadruple-y+ to get these chapters out to get back for the lost time.

I'M SO SORRY!!!

~K (the shameful writer)