Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 14: The Truth and the Imaginary

---Water.

There was a fluid sound of water or some sort of liquid moving…and the sudden harsh rush and hiss of it hitting a solid.
Then I felt something wet and cold splash on me, instantly cooling the blazing agony.
I gasped, shock ripping through me on impact.

I heard Taeri yelp out, suddenly no longer there.
I think I heard a sharp gasp.

“What---?” Taeri started.

What the hell was going---

There was a deep soft rustling and out of nowhere, a thick, black and heavy fabric swished into view, filling my senses with a dark, cool and heavy silence…


The memory shifted, the images blurring and merging in indistinct colors.

…I gasped and my back arched off the ground as shock and indescribable disbelief coursed through me. My eyes snapped open, and a flurry of colors flitted into my view.

Someone was looming over me, their face hidden deep inside what looked like a dark hood.
Dark hood…


The last thing I saw before I started to slip into the abyss…that memory of those last few moments replayed itself over and over again. The burning pain was still fresh in my mind, but it was the mysterious cloaked stranger that taunted my thoughts.

I honestly couldn’t tell you how many hours I spent sitting at the edge of my bed, just thinking. It was all coming back now; after a while images and other details started to drift back to the surface, bits and pieces at a time. I remembered entering the Training Area, meeting the girl Rowen, talking to Zarda, the Electus and the new order…
…I remember jumping off the platform, the flames, the pain, Taeri---

I gritted my teeth as the muscles and tendons in my right arm twitched, the pain threatening to resurface.

This was something new, and something I was not okay with; every time I even brushed upon the thought of her, my arm…the burn was back. And for some reason, it was as if it was getting stronger.
My left hand gripped my right forearm, my fingers digging in at the bone.

The pain was just tolerable and very unstable; I would be fine one moment and then stiff with agony in the next. Every time I thought back to the attack…and how crazy she was---

---Water.

I hissed out a breath of relief when the pain suddenly lifted.
It was more mystery upon mysteries---the water that had come out of nowhere.
Then the dark fabric that blackened out my view, voices, the cool hands---

And here I was again, my mind back on the cloaked stranger.

Vardavit,” I swore under my breath, frustration building up.

My brain felt like scrambled eggs, trying to sort all this out. I was already past the possibilities of the whole thing being a really bad nightmare; there were too many evidences of the events.
After the whole incident on the obstacle course, nothing made sense. Nothing could explain to me how I got back to the safety of my dwelling, healed and in one piece. Not to mention the two books I definitely lost track of in the chaos; clearly they were recovered safe and sound in their neat little pile of theirs.

There were just too many blanks, too many anomalies.

I was attacked, severely wounded.
I was saved.
Then there was the stranger…that mysterious cloaked stranger…

I groaned miserably, cradling my head in my hands.

It was just a vicious cycle I couldn’t pull myself out of.
It always ended with the stranger.

The stranger…the cloaked stranger…

I felt something welcomingly cool and soft press against my neck and cheek, my skin blazing in comparison. I flinched, expecting pain to flood through my body at the touch.
Nothing came.
My ears buzzed curiously as incoherent sounds broke through the silence, my mind unable to process the noise. Blurred colors and indistinct shapes filled my pulsing view, shifting like shadows behind a fog screen.

More sounds reached my ears, all of them sounding distant. But the urgency of the speaker’s tone was clear.

Who is it? I thought. What the hell do you want?

The soft and cool touch slid to my shoulders. It pressed lightly on my left, unburned side and I felt my body loosely move. I think I was being shaken. But at the same time it was impossible to tell; through this ordeal my mind was fighting against the pressing black void that threatened to swallow me whole.
I could feel my head just roll side to side, my skull grinding lightly on the ground as I moved involuntarily; I had no strength to even think about lifting my own hand up…

Something hard and cold slammed into my sternum, and with the heavy blow came this cold icy rush that shot through my veins. This thing---whatever it was---struck deep; I could feel the foreign Energy pierce and mix in with my own Pulse.
The searing sensation of the burn was blown completely out of the water in that instant.
I gasped and my back arched off the ground as shock and indescribable disbelief coursed through me. My eyes snapped open, and a flurry of colors flitted into my view.

Someone was looming over me, their face hidden deep inside what looked like a dark hood.

---Who are you?

Anxious, wary, yet intrigued and drawn, I felt myself gravitate towards this stranger.
Struggling against my heavy muscles, I raised my right arm in their direction.

Just as my fingertips were about to brush against the edge of the stranger’s hood, my tension broke and I blacked out.


I inhaled slowly, trying to clear my head.
Alright, take it easy, I thought. What do I know for sure?

I was attacked, severely wounded.
I was saved.
Then there was the stranger…that myster---

“Argh!” I spat out, throwing myself back onto the bed.

What was I, on a treadmill of thoughts? What else, outside of the stranger; what else rang out as fact in my memory?
Well, I sure as hell did not walk back here, not in the condition I was in.

I stopped, my mind lingering on that last thought.

Okay, if I didn’t get here own my own, who brought me back?
Zarda?
No, couldn’t be. If he had found me the way I was, he would still be here. He would be badgering me about what happened and wouldn’t leave my side.
Sarvwen?
Well, that may explain the healed arm, but same with Zarda; he would be worried and wouldn’t leave me alone either.
…Taeri?
Oh for fuck’s sake, hell no.
For one, she doesn’t know where I live and never will as long as I live. And two, she would more than likely still be here too, except in her case she would be in my bed, and Zarda’s jacket wouldn’t be the only article of clothing that’s missing from my immediate being.

I gagged, the thought bringing bile up my throat. Even my right arm gave a painful clench at the notion.

So least to say it couldn’t have been anyone I know. So who?
…the cloaked stranger?

I frowned.
How?
I could somewhat accept the possibility that it was the stranger who had healed me, but how would they know where my dwelling was?
And why would they go so far to help me?

Maybe it was someone I know; I didn’t see their face afterall. I thought.
…No. It couldn’t have been.
I would have sensed some familiarity in the person’s actions, then at the time, or in the traces they had left.

No, I don’t know this person…

I sighed, depression sinking in.
“This is hopeless.” I muttered.

Hours seemed to come and go as I just laid there, trying to scrap together some sort of scenario from my memory to explain how I got from the above-ground obstacle course to my dwelling.

Wow…what a really vicious cycle of thoughts.

I sighed again and closed my eyes, letting myself fall back into my mind’s repetative slideshow of memories.

What happened?
Who is this stranger?
Who? What? How? Why?

What was this stress building up in me? What was bothering me so much?
And why?

Well, not knowing what happened to me and having strangers tend to me while I’m unconscious can be very stressful to the thought. So what wouldn’t be bothering me right now?

…And why?

Why what? Really, why anything? Why did I get sucked up into all this? Why did Sir Ravador suddenly start the advanced promotion? Why were we being isolated in a group? Why couldn't we be seen in the Training Unit? Why were there Electus tagging us?

Why was I attacked?
Why was I saved?
Why me?

Why, why, why, why, why?

“Enough,” I thought outloud, opening my eyes.

Clearly, thinking wasn’t working.

Heavily, I pushed myself off my bed and got up. My shoes were still on my feet, just the way I found myself. Yet more mysteries…

I was turning to exit my bedroom into the main living area of my dwelling when I felt something catch onto my foot. I looked down, ready to kick my foot free from whatever it was.
It was fabric, some worn and dirty article of clothing. Just as I was about to dismiss it, I felt an odd thought come over me.
Something about the fabric bemused me, bothered me more than it should.

…why?

Darkly intrigued, I kneeled down and studied the crumpled mass. I hesitated only for a moment before reaching down and taking up the fabric. The texture of it was definitely familiar.

I frowned, and spread the fabric out evenly.
It was Zarda’s uniform jacket…or rather what was left of it.

“Aw, shit.” I groaned.

Of course… of course the jacket would be like this. If my arm was mangled in the way it was, my brother’s jacket would have suffered the same damage as well.
Zarda’s jacket sleeve on the right side was burned cleanly off, the burns reaching the shoulders and some of the side of the body as well.
Damn, I can’t return him this without raising questions I couldn’t answer---

Then I noticed that the fabric was slightly heavier than it should be, and oddly cooler to the touch. Experimentally, I brought it up to my face, and pressed the fabric against my cheek.
The fabric itself smelled smoky and burned, amongst other things that made sense with what it had been put through…

Damp, the fabric was damp.

…beep…

A sudden alerting low beep broke the heavy silence, snapping me back to present time.
Someone was at my door.

I shook my head, recovering.
“I’ll be right there,” I called.

I didn’t even bother trying to find a shirt as I straightened to a stand and stumbled out of my bedroom. Daylight flooded in through the windows, illuminating the main living area of my dwelling in an overwhelmingly bright glow.
I swore under my breath and shut my eyes tight, taking a moment to adjust to the unforgiving light.

The low beep sounded off again.
“Alright, I’m coming,” I grunted.

Half blind, I made my way to my door and pressed the viewer key on the monitor pad.
The moment the monitor blinked to life, I saw a familiar face leaning in on the camera on the other side.

“Heelloooo!” a female voice sing-sang, practically pressing one of her light green irises into the camera.
“Can Zavius come out and play?”

I pressed the acceptance button on the key pad and the door slid open with a hiss.
Thya skipped into my dwelling, a decent-sized brown paper package tucked under her arm.
“Good morning Double-Trouble Deux!” she said cheerfully.
A French mix to my nickname…she’s in a good mood.
She glided over and placed the package on the surface of the nearby counter of my unused kitchen area before turning back to me.

Thya’s normally light brown tresses were now a light, brilliant shade of blonde with streaks of light neon purple, accenting the sharp, edgy and slicked hairstyle. Her newly dyed hair was gathered back in a smooth high ponytail, which fell straight to the middle of her shoulder blades. She wasn’t wearing her usual trainee rank uniform; she was garbed in black from head to toe. Instead, she was wearing a slim, athletic fitting, long-sleeved jacket with a high collar and a pair of full-length pants of seemingly the same material. The design of the gear fitted snuggly to her body, and hey, I gotta say, she didn’t look half bad.

Thya was smirking at me, looking at me as if she was expecting me to say something. So I said the first thing that came to my mind.

“What happened to your hair?”

Thya scoffed lightly and rolled her eyes.
“Not exactly the reaction I was looking for, but understandable.” she said. “Do you like it? There were so many options like a cool icy blue, but I thought I felt vey calm, subtle and reserved today so I went with this neon purple and this is the product.”
She shook her head a little so her blond and neon purple ponytail swished in the light.
“So? What do you think?”

Oh yea, Thya. Nothing says calm and subtle like neon purple.

“It looks cool.” I told her. “What’s in your package?”

Thya raised an eyebrow at me, still smiling. She sighed, rolling her eyes as she delicately placed her hands on her hips.
“Ugh, boys…” she groaned, snapping her tongue and putting an emphasis on the plural.
She turned back to the counter where the package sat.
“Always lookin’ at mah package to see what I got, ya know?”
I chuckled slightly, shaking my head.
“I know; what the hell are they thinking?” I said.
It gained me a sharp but playful jab at my arm.
“Seriously though, what do you have?” I asked.
Thya looked back at me amusedly one last time before picking up the package.
“It’s a gift for you.” she said, lifting the paper-wrapped bundle in front of her.
I raised an eyebrow at her, immediately suspicious.
“From?”
“From me, of course.”
“Thya, you don’t gift---unless it somehow benefits you or your amusement.” I returned. “What is it?”
“Here,” she said, and tossed the package towards me.
I caught the package in my left arm with ease. The brown paper wrapping gave way under my hand, hinting at the soft material just beneath it.
I raised a questioning look at Thya, who just looked back at me with a cheerful smile.
“What is this?” I asked again.
“That, my friend, is your new and improved wardrobe.” she replied, excitement reflecting in her eyes.
I frowned.
“Wardrobe? New and improved?” I echoed, looking down at the package in my arms.
I gave it a small experimental shake, feeling the abnormal lightness of it.
“Now what---”

I stopped, and Thya stepped back, lifting her arms up and away from her torso to display her new tight outfit. She did a quick three-sixty around and then looked back at me.

“Oh…” I spoke out slowly, realization striking in.

“So? How about it?” Thya asked eagerly. “Why don’t you go on and try the set on?”
I looked her over once and stared.
“My pants better not be as tight as yours.” I said, flatly, my tone coming out appalled.
Thya scoffed impatiently, shaking her head.
“What’s a little snugness?” she said dismissively. “Oh come on, be a man! Embrace it!”
“Thya, I don’t expect you to understand my reluctance in trying on tight clothing, particularly pants.” I started.
“Well good, because I really don’t care to understand.” she returned. She twisted me around and started to push me towards my bedroom.
Deus, Zavius, you smell. Did you burn something?”
I glanced down and realized that I still had Zarda’s burnt jacket in my hand. Hastily, I tossed it into the kitcken while Thya was looking down.
“No,” I said “Now hold on!”

I twisted around and resisted Thya’s pushing.
“Thya, I have delicate cargo down there that I rather not try and cram into a pair of restricting pair of pants. Why do I have to be the one to try it on?”
Thya sighed again, still pushing.
“Zavius, everyone is getting these new uniforms. I just want to see how the male version fits a male body.”
“Who’s everyone?” I demanded.

Thya pushed her pushing and looked up at me, her straining patience showing.
“Everyone, as in everyone in Sir Elder’s new advancement cell,” she said flatly, speaking slow. “That includes Zarda, Sarvwen, Mivian myself and you, Mister Sister! So get your pretty ass in there and change!”
“But---”
“Zavius, as much as I adore basking in the glory of your tone-and-sculpted half-naked body, now is not the time for this.” Thya broke in, cutting me off.
I frowned, her heavy sarcastic tone bugging me. We were now just three feet from my bedroom door. As my bedroom door slid open, I shoved my hands onto the door frame, bringing myself to a stop. Thya grunted irritably, but continued on with her pushing.
“Hey---what’s wrong with my body?” I demanded.
Thya grumbled something unintelligent under her breath. I bet she rolled her eyes.
“Nothing; beside the fact that it should be shimmying into a pretty new outfit right now instead of whining.” she grunted. “Now move!
She gave me a huge shove and I went flying forward through the door.
“Thya!” I cried out, twisting back to her.
“What?” she demanded, sounding like a vexed mother.
She crossed her arms stubbornly and raised her eyebrows at me, as if to be saying You will do as I say, boy.
My fingers twitched on the brown paper package in my arms. I wasn’t going to get out of this, was I?

“What is it?” she demanded. “Why are you making such a big fuss out of this?”
“I don’t know, because I don’t want to?” I argued back.
She sighed again, and turned her eyes up at the ceiling, as if to be forcing herself to calm down.
“Are there any other delicate issues that is stopping you, Zavius?”
I shrugged.
“Uh…I don’t have your killer curves to show off under the tight cloths.” I said.
I saw Thya flick her wrist to the side in a dismissive manner. The invisible force hit my chest and the next thing I know, I was on my bed, flat on my back.
“If you don’t come out in five minute, I’m coming in to strip and change you myself.” she threatened.
“Damn, is this how you man-handle Sarvwen?” I shot out.

The bedroom door slid shut with a hiss, leaving me in the calm silence. I sat up, quickly sobering up.

That was a close one…too close.
What would’ve happened if she had seen Zarda’s jacket? What if she found something out about the Taeri incident?
My eyes fell on my right arm, whatever damage I had taken invisible under the flawless skin.

What if the burning came back?

My fingers curled into a fist, grasping at my black bedsheets.
I won’t let her find out…not any of them.

I can handle this.

I allowed myself another moment before I pulled myself together.
Time to play Thya’s dress-up doll.

I reached over and took up the paper package.
I sighed, and started to tear at the paper wrapping.

* * * * *
I stomped out of my bedroom with a start, practically ready to start throwing things.
“What the hell, Thya!” I growled out.

Thya looked over at me from where she sat on my sofa, her arms and legs crossed casually. She gave me one look over and she smiled wide.
“Wow, Double-Trouble Deux, look at you!” she exclaimed, sounding excited. “See, you don’t need my curves to impress; you’re a killer stunt already!”
“You,” I grouched, irritated. “You tricked me! You told me my pants were going to be tight.”
Thya raised an eyebrow at me and smoothly rose up from my seat.
“No I didn’t.” she said innocently. “You saw how my uniform fit my body and you just made that assumption.”
She then frowned.
“You know, I had designed the pants to be a little more of a close fit than the usual baggy cargo pants of the uniforms, but if you want to go tight all the way, I could make that change.” she said.
“No!” I yelled out, taking a firm hold on my new pants buckle. “No tight pants!”
Thya shrugged and flicked her blond and neon purple ponytail back.
“Then I don’t know what you’re complaining about.” she said.

Before I cold argue back, Thya rushed over and pulled at my arm, towards the mirrored wall of my living room area.
“Come on! Give me a quick spin!” she urged, forcing me to turn in my spot. “How do you think?”

I twisted back around and glanced over the reflection of myself, a twinge of excitement running through me at the sight of the unfamiliar gear I had on.
The uniform came as a whole set, and matched Thya’s own gear in style and material; except that mine was more…gender appropriate.

My uniform, like Thya’s was all black. The material of the jacket hugged my arms and torso snuggly, but not at all too tight; in fact it was surprisingly, extremely comfortable. The shirt that came with it, also black, was of a thinner fabric; cooling and breathable despite the fact that it was long sleeved and high neck. It, too, fit my body like it was my second skin.
But the biggest surprise of all was, surprise, was the pants. The pants were indeed a closer fit than the uniform cargos I was used to. But it was not in the least bit tight, giving me space in--- let’s just say is was all good. And I liked it.

“Well?” Thya pushed, hopping up and down impatiently. “What do you think?”

I shook my sleeved arms out loosely, bending and straightening them experimentally. My hands ran down the front of the jacket, twisting to the left for a side view in the mirror.
“I like it.” I said. “A lot.”
I breathed in and out, and the fabric of the gear moved with my ribs.
“You designed this?”
I saw Thya grinning happily in the reflection as she skipped over to my side.
“Yea; I wanted a gear that gave a full cover but allowed the body the full advantage and range of every movement it takes.” she said. “I also added fibers to the fabric that helps with the Energy circulation in the body.”
“So in short, you made us a supersuit that helps us kick ass.” I said.
“Yup. Faster and stronger.” she said.
I whistled and hopped up once.
“It’s so light.” I breathed, in awe at how airy the heavy-duty gear was.
“I know,” Thya said, practically glowing at the mirror.
“I feel like a super-spy.” I said.
“I know!” Thya laughed.
She gave herself a dramatic glare at her own reflection, posing like a female heroine from an action film.
“I think I’m ready for some serious ass-kicking.” she said.
I laughed.
“Thya, how did you manage all this?” I asked.
Thya shrugged, tossing her hair and checking her appearance.
“Well, hanging around at the Advanced Tech unit has its advantages.” she murmured, preoccupied.
She huffed out and wheeled around, looking at me.
Something about her stare seemed to be dissecting me.
“What?” I demanded, raising an eyebrow.
Thya just shrugged.
“Eh, I don’t know; it just felt as if you were insecure about something.” she said.
I frowned.
“No, I’m fine.”

Something about her answer felt evasive. I don’t like that.

Before I could press on, Thya grabbed my arm and started to tow me to the door.
“Come on, let’s go.” she said.
“Where are we going?” I asked, letting her drag me along.

Thya dragged me down the hall and out of my dwelling.
“Training, Double-Trouble Deux!” she said. “Time to take the gear for a trial run!”
♠ ♠ ♠
The update was a bit earlier than usual. XD
I know nothing really happened, but I thought I shouldn’t keep you guys waiting.
But don’t worry…I’ll make up for this empty chapter with a double-packed next chapter (2x the drama, tension, mystery).
Honestly, how do you like the story so far?

I was very pleased last time---two more subscribers, putting me to 11!! (YAY!!)
Hehe, I know that’s not a lot, but noneoftheless, every one means a lot to me.

So Thank you ALL for the great comments and support!! (even putting up with my glacial speed of updates. XD)

Well, you know the routine; please comment! If you have a question, don’t be afraid to message me and ask!
If you find grammar/spelling mistakes (and you probably would), please let me know. I’ll fix it right away.

More to come!!

~K