Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 15: Timeless

“Thya…hey, Thya!” I nearly growled, exasperated. “What the hell are you doing?”

Thya had her face pressed to the stone wall of the hallway we were currently in, her face scowling in deep concentration.
“Hush,” she hissed, swatting dismissively at me. “I’m trying to listen.”

The hall was vacant and completely free of any foot traffic, a rare occurance in the Paramount Towers. In fact, this part of the Towers seemed to be of an older structure that was no longer in use.

I snorted, shaking my head.
“For what? What would be in the wall that is worth listening to right now?” I demanded.
Thya snorted back but continued on doing her business.
Deus Double-Trouble Deux, so many questions. Have you ever heard of ‘Patience is a Virtue,’?”
“Yea, saids the most impatient being I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing.” I retorted.
Thya just brushed off the comment, her attention literally stuck on the wall.
“The pleasure is all mine.” she muttered, and slid further along the wall to listen ‘elsewhere’.

I groaned. Thank the Deities the halls were clear and empty of possible audiences. This was only slightly embarrasing.

“I thought we were going to go train,” I complained, very well aware of the fact that I sounded like a child.
“We are going to train.” Thya replied.
“When?”
“When we get there.”

I scowled, annoyed.
“This is a waste of time.” I said, wheeling around. “I’ll be down in the Training Unit if you need me.”
“But you’re not allowed on the Grounds.” Thya protested at my back.
I didn’t even bother turning back as I gave her a dismissive wave.
“Who’s gonna find out, anyways; the Electus?” I snorted. “Just send me a messenger whenever---”

---BOOM.

A sudden, deep boom pounded through the air, catching me in mid-step. I stopped short, and wheeled around.

Thya had pulled herself off of the wall, sitting back on her heel with an excited, satisfied look. The wall before her…well, there was a wall there just seconds ago.
I gaped, in complete disbelief. I was back standing behind Thya in two and a half steps.
“What the---” I spoke out, my voice hushed.

The section of the stone wall I was staring at had sunk into itself, leaving a clean, deep cut out in the wall. This massive slab was at least four yards wide and it reached almost all the way to the ceiling of the hall.

Thya straightened to a stand, stretched a little before giving me a smug look that clearly said Ha! I win!.
After a few seconds, I sighed and gave in.
“Alright, alright.” I said, exasperated. “This is cool and I’m sorta intrigued. What is this?”
Thya grinned at me and stepped aside.
“Why don’t you take a look?” she said, nodding forward.

Curiosity got the best of me and I stepped forward into the newly found niche in the wall.
“What am I looking for?” I asked, squinting at the flawless surface of the depressed wall.
“Lean in closer and you’ll see.” she told me.
I leaned forward closer, searching for anything that was out of order.
“I’m not seeing it.” I said.
“Oh? Then maybe a little closer.” Thya mused innocently.
I frowned, immediately not liking her tone.
“What? Honestly, I can’t---”

I felt two hands shove into my lower back and I felt myself pitch forward. I only had time to bring my arms up to guard my head as I shot head first into the wall.

Well, from my many experiences of being shoved headlong into a wall, I’ve learned that it tends to hurt, a lot. So imagine my surprise when the wall gave way, allowing my body to pass through completely pain-free and without a lump forming on my skull.

My forearms hit the ground first and instinctively, my body tucked into a tumbled. I set my foot down firmly and I came to a stop.
“Whoa,” I breathed out, completely dazed.
Now where was I?

I heard a dull swoosh sound from behind me and I turned. Thya had stepped through the wall, and was now giving me an amused look.
“What the hell was that?” I demanded, eyeing the not-so-solid wall suspiciously.
Thya glanced back at the wall, and shrugged.
“It’s just a secret portal, Zavius. It doesn’t hurt you.” she said.
“Secret,” I echoed. “How super-spy can it get.”
Thya grinned, seemingly satisfied with my reaction.
“The theme of the day,” she added. “Come on, stand up and check out the glorious view.”

I blinked, and slowly brought myself to a stand before turning back forward.

“Huh,” I let out, only mildly awed. “This is impressive.”

Thya had turned back to the wall, pushing the massive marble slab that was easily twenty times her weight back into the wall. It was sliding back easily under the pressure of her hand, grinding and groaning as it went. It sank back seamlessly into the smooth wall, leaving no trace of its existence.

Nifty things, these secret doors.

Thya hummed in satisfaction, slapping her hands together to swipe them clear of the invisible dust.
“Well-hidden isn’t it, this door,” she remarked, sounding proud. “I had trouble finding this one the first time around myself.”
“First time?” I echoed, only half-listening.
My attention was on my surroundings.

Thya had surprised me when she started leading my up towards the Elder’s Hall. Or at least, I thought she was, after we left my dwelling. It was kind of hard to keep track of the twist and turns through the halls; I was actually very unsure of where and what part of the Towers I was currently in.
Yet after the intricate trail through the maze of halls, and one secret hidden portal later, I found myself looking down into a wide, circular and empty room.
And it really was impressive.
This room ---this wide, open area was built differently from any of the other rooms I’ve ever seen in the Paramount Towers. The design and structure of the room reminded me of a round ballroom, with a smooth elegant curve to the walls, polished, light placid stone floors and the high ceiling. There was no visible light source, but the room was very well lit, despite the fact that it lacked windows or any other doors.
Something about the place brought on a sense of calm, stirring and uplifting sensation in my chest.

This place…something about this place---

“Come on, Zavius.” Thya hissed, excitement leaking into her hushed tone.
She took a hold on my right arm and started to drag me to the right.
Now where are we going?” I demanded.

Seriously, I was going to lose an arm to this girl.

Thya brought me to a stop at the top of a wide staircase that lead down to the wide floor of this room. This staircase flowed right into the floor, made of the same pale marble.
“Well, we came here for a reason,” she said, grinning happily.

With that, she let go of my arm and started down the stairs. I followed her lead and made my way towards the floor.
The moment I felt my foor touch down on the stone floor, I felt a sudden overwhelming stillness come over me.
Everything seemed to come to a stop, and nothing moved.

“Amazing, isn’t it?”

I looked up and saw Thya looking up at the ceiling, her arms open as if to be embracing the space.
“What is this place?” I asked, practically breathless.
Thya sighed contently, and skipped back over towards me.
Well, I’ll tell you, but I’ll have to do a little explaining first.” she said. “Did you start reading the book I gave you?”
I grimaced, thinking back on the pile of books on my bedside table.
“No, sorry; I haven’t…got to it yet.” I said.

My mind was slowly pulling back into my memory, coming dangerously close to her---

“I promise, when I get back to my dwelling, I’ll start reading it.” I promised.

Thya was studying me with a still gaze from her pale green eyes.
“It’s alright; I can give a brief explanation.” she said.
She then frowned.
“Is your arm okay?” she asked.

I glanced down and realized that my left hand was gripping my right by the upper arm. Quickly, I let go and recovered my previous stance.
“It’s fine. Muscle spasms.” I lied.

Thya mused, probably not believing my weak fib for a second. But she didn’t pursue the topic.
“So anyways, this room.” she started. “The history and the story behind this room actually starts from the times of the Dividing Wars.”
I frowned.
“And let me guess; the Six Legends of Galiasis.” I said.
Thya smiled approvingly.
“You are fast at catching on.” she said.
I shrugged.
“Well, you asking me about the book, our talk in the Library the other day, and your obsession on Immortal history sort of lead me to that conclusion.” I said. “Fairytales and Legends.”
Thya huffed our an exasperated breath and shook her head.
“Zavius, I know you are a skeptic on this but come on; it’s just a theory if anything.” she pointed out. “What harm can it possibly do to just have an open mind on this?”
She was slightly pouting and giving me the sad eyes.

…Dammit.

“Open; my mind is open.” I sighed, throwing my hands up. “So let’s hear it. What does this room have to do with the Legends?”

I could practically see her face starting to light up as she started to shift into story mode.
“As the Legend goes, the Dividing War brought on the creation of the Four Gates and the start of the Immortal era. Now this room my just be proof that the Six Legends exist.” she stated.
I frowned, already feeling a dispute forming in my open mind.
“Or, this is just a really old room in a really old part of the Paramount Towers.” I said, unimpressed. “Let’s face it; Paramount Towers has thousands of years of history. I’m sure there are rooms here and there just like this one.”

Thya gave me a warning look so I shut my mouth.

“Well then, to begin with, let me start with the architecture of the Paramount Towers.” she said. “The massive group of these Towers are set into four parts according to the directions they face; North, South---yeah, you get it.”
Thya blew a loose strand of blond hair out of her face before continuing.
“To get to the tiny divisions that make up the whole structures is way too tedious so cutting to the point: the centermost tower of the Paramount is---”
“The Core; where the Elder’s Hall is located.” I finished. “It’s the tallest and the greatest tower in size.”
“Right,” Thya nodded. “And this room we are in, is part of that same tower.”

I thought hard, trying to retrace my steps to get here.

“Yea,” I said. “So where are we located, exactly?”
“We’re somewhere beneath the Elder’s Hall.” Thya said. “And there is a very symbolic explanation as to why the Core is structured the way it is.”
I hummed lowly, mulling over the information.
“Okay, so the Core: the Elder’s Hall is the top most room, making it the highest point in the Paramount.”
“Oh, not just in the Paramount; in all of the city-state of Stranaglastre.” Thya corrected.
“The Supreme Elder being the strongest Immortal exisiting and being the watchful protector of the Citizens---yea, I can appreciate the symbolism. So?” I asked. “This room is below the Elder’s Hall, why? And where do the Legends come into play?”

Thya was smiling wide, her passion for this topic showing.
“Don’t you see? The Core is the foundation of everything; not just of the Towers, but also Galiasis and in turn, Immortality as a whole!”
Thya reached over and grabbed me by the elbow before she started to tow me to the center of the room.
“Come on Zavius!” she protested. “Are you denying that this room is something different from the rest of the Towers?”

She motioned at me, urging me to take time to look around. So I did.
My eyes skimmed the walls, the ceiling and the staircase. Then I glanced down at the floor.
I stared, and I saw my reflection staring back at me, perfectly smooth.
And suddenly, an odd sensation sank into my chest. It was as if the floor was moving---swirling beneath my feet in a slow, steady cycle…
Something…something about this room was alive.

“Zavius?”

I inhaled sharply, and I tore my eyes off the floor.
“No,” I said. “This room is definietly something.”
Thya was looking at me again, curiosity bubbling in her features.
“What did you feel?” she asked quietly but eagerly.
I shook my head a little, trying to clear my head.
“I---I can’t be sure.” I admitted. “But something about this room just sucks me in like it’s alive almost. But at the same time, it’s as if time itself is still here.”
Yes.” Thya agreed enthusiastically. “Exactly!”

She spun away from my side, holding her arms out open.

“Remember what I told you in the Library? How in the Legend each Divinus gifted an Essence of their abilities to the foundation of Galiasis?”
An odd buzz shot through me as I quickly caught on.
“Are you saying this room is their gift?” I demanded in disbelief.
“Ah…close.” Thya said, her eyes twinkling. “This room is a gifted Essence, however, it doesn’t belong to all of the Divinus.”
“Then who’s is it?” I asked.

The look on Thya’s face practically glowed with excitement and awe.
“This is the Essence of the Third Guardian; the Keeper of Time.” she said.

The weight of her thrill had an influence on me and I felt her words settling deep into my chest. Then, a sudden realization came to me.
“The Third Guardian.” I echoed
I looked at Thya, who looked at me expectantly.
“There are other Essences.” I said.
Thya nodded, almost feverishly.
“Five more, to be exact.” she confirmed. “And they are all in the Core, supporting the Elder’s Hall as an supporting column of the foundation.

Thya threw her hands up as if to say 'See? Isn’t it all clear now?'

But I felt questions building one after another in my head.
“Alright, I got all that.” I said. “So why did you bring me to this particular room? And how are you so sure that this is the Third Guardian’s Essence?”
“All of these Essences can only be entered through their own individual portals, all hidden as well as this one, I imagine.” Thya said thoughtfully. “I know for sure that this was the third Essence because this trail was the only one I could decipher.”
“Decipher?” I questioned.
Then I realized another thing.
“Sorry, but you just said ‘the only one.’”
Thya grinned at me sheepishly and shrugged.
“Yea…I hate to say it, but this is the only Divinus Essence I managed to find so far.” she said.

Ah…questions were starting to fill my already busy mind.
Thya must have noticed because then she raised her hand up.
“Uh-uh, that’s it; no more. You got enough spoilers out of me.” she said. “It’s time for you to learn for yourself.”
I sighed, defeated.
“I will read the book, today.” I promised.
Thya laughed.
“Alright, I believe you; you’re a man of your word,” she said.
“But now, enough talk! It’s time for me to kick your ass!”

I blinked, the sudden shift catching me off-guard.
“Training?”
“Training.”
“Is it okay to do it here?
Thya grinned.
“Are you afraid to lose, Double Trouble Deux?” she challenged.

She was giving me an overly dramatic, intense stare-down. I grinned back.
“I am a super-spy. I am not afraid of anything.” I boomed.
Thya winked, and took on a stance.
“Bring it.” she hissed, and she dove forward.

* * * * *

My feet touched down on the ground first, followed by my knees as I tumbled on the smooth, swirling marble floor. I avoided looking down at the floor; the abnormal motion of the swirling blue was more than just slightly disorienting, and with my moving around, looking down would have been like having motion sickness while being hung over.
So I kept my eyes up and locked on my opponent of the moment, just ahead of me.

Thya completed one final and graceful aerial before straightening to a stand. She smirked at me and raised an eybrow.
Bringing on Round Five.

I kicked off the slick floor, snapping into a dive forward.
I saw Thya smoothly glide back into a defensive stance, waiting for me to get close enough so she could land a hit.
I shot forward at her, making my steps into a random pattern of zig-zag to make my movement less readable.
Not that being unpredictable worked much--- not with Thya.

The moment I was within three feet from her, I saw her eyes flicker with an odd glow.

Aw, not again---

I twisted my body around and slide in the direction aimed behind her.
I didn’t see where she was aiming but I felt her Energy flare out, just grazing the top of my head before landing on the floor with a crash somewhere behind me.
I skidded across the floor, stamping my foot down as a brake. I didn’t miss a beat as I flipped myself back onto my feet.
Thya was just turning around when I took off into the air.
My hand shot forward, reaching to grab her shoulder---

An invisible force slammed into my chest, knocking the air out of my lungs. I gagged, and I felt my body come to a complete stop in mid-air.
The force pushed…hard.

“Whoa!” I heard myself yell out involuntarily as my body was thrown back with great speed.
I broked my one rule then, but realized it too late.
I was too disoriented and confused to catch myself, and I felt the floor hit my back before I saw it.

The air was knocked out of me for the second time in the same minute, and the most unimpressive sound was squeezed out of me.
My muscles immediately stiffened in shock and pain. I groaned miserably, not bothering trying to peel myself off the floor.
“Five-to-oh, Thya!” I heard her sing-song.
“Dammit, Thya.” I gasped out, forcing myself to sit up. “You said you won’t use your telekinesis this time.”
Thya laughed lightly, shaking her blond and neon purple head.
“I said that the last four times, Zavius.” she giggled. “The better question is, why do you keep on believing me?"
I let out another groan before pushing myself onto my feet.
“Good question.” I muttered.
I swayed, and stumbled a bit, fighting to keep myself upright.
“Are you alright?” I heard Thya ask.
“Yea, yea…no problem.” I muttered. “Just a little…air sick and hung over.”
I felt two hands take a firm grip on my upper arms, steadying me significantly.

Thya was looking at me with a raised eyebrow, smirking in amusement.
“Aww, poor Zavius.” she cooed, rubbing my arms soothingly. “My poor little bundle of trouble.”
I swatted at her weakly, annoyed at her tone.
“Shut up,” I muttered stubbornly.

Thya grinned at me happily and hooked her arm around mine.
“Well, you put up quite a fight in the last round.” she said. “You even made me miss on the first shot.”
I scowled a bit, still rather unhappy.
“You said hand-to-hand combat, and you go out and use your ability.” I mumbled.
“Well, I’m not a very good close-range fighter.” she said, towing me across the room. “My ability just comes out as a reflex.”
She then looked at me with a raised eyebrow.
“Were you really going to hit a girl?” she questioned.
I grumbled unhappily and Thya laughed again.
“Oh, come on, let’s call it a day.” she said. “I’m glad that we got to do this; the uniforms are very effective.”

We were at the top pf the grand staircase now, and I had completely recovered.
I stopped at the last step and turned, looking out into the Third Essence.

Thya had noticed my sudden stop, and she was standing right next to me.
“This room has been here for thousands of years.” she said with a smile. “It will be here whenever we want to come back.”
“Is it okay to just waltz in and out of this place like that?” I wondered out loud. “Isn’t it like a form of, uh, sacrilege or something?”

Thya continued on smiling, as to turned her gaze out to the room.
“I’m not taking this place for granted, and I can tell you are not, either. So there is no act of disrespect.” she said. “Besides, the Divinus left us their gifts to aid us when we need. They may help us get stronger.”
She then considered.
“But in honor and consideration for the great Legends, let’s keep this place our secret.” she said, winking.

She then nodded towards the wall with the hidden portal.
“Do you have anything to do today?” she asked suddenly.
I raised an eyebrow at her questioningly.
“No, nothing in particular,” I admitted.

Thya grabbed me by my elbow and started to lead me out.
“Then let’s go out to the city!” she cried out, excited. “I wanna show off our new gear!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, sorry on the updates; I actually had something going on that whole weekend that I really had to focus on. And then, I was swallowed up by the whole finals study and cramming thing.
Hopefully, this chapter was good for you guys…ah, on that…

This was actually shortened because it was long. But the next chapter is all drama!!
So go ahead, make predictions, ask questions, complain, rant rave, etc. to your liking.

One more notice: please read this journal; it isn’t anything major, but it does relate to my stories.
And if you guys really like to see DRAWINGS of my characters, you may want to check it out to get the info.