Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 1: Something in the Breeze

Eighty-six years old, and I look nothing past twenty. And I feel just as young. Seems like a blessing, right?
Immortality takes a long time to get used to, especially with all the bonus packages that comes with it. The increase in power, strength, stamina and endurance; these are actually great. The high-tuned senses aren't half bad either.
It was our Energy Pulse and the 'techniques of use and control' that was a pain and required the patience I didn't have. Oh, and don't get me started on the whole future 'responsibilities and burden we shall carry as an Immortal Guard,' yada, yada, yada.

What a drag. A blessing... right.

I guess when I gained my eternal youth, I became something that can be called a number of different names. Generally, I'm an Immortal, but all thanks to my supposedly complex Soul Memory, I'm more... uh, complex.
Ugh, 'Soul Memory'. Why couldn't they just call it, oh I don't know, 'human life' or 'how-I-died' or even just simply 'biography'? The names they give to some of the simplest things makes me feel like a friggin' mythical fairy creature or some sort of freak...
Well, I guess I am a freak in the eyes of a human being. I'm not the same as what I was when I existed in the Living. And to make things even better, I make quite a popular zoo exhibit here in the Immortal world as well.

As a Angel Guard, or as some may get fancy-n'-smart and say 'Four Gates Union Guardian', I can't walk the streets of Stranaglastre without people noticing what I am.
Hey look, a real Slayer! they'd whisper, as if I couldn't hear them.
The adults would either shy away or avoid me, and the children would just ogle with their little mouths wide open in awe. And the girls would giggle and gossip.

No, I want to yell. No, no, no.
I'm not a Slayer yet. Stop staring.


But I don't. Instead, I just walk away. The Ressurectio Institute isn't any better. There are those who would do just about the same as the kids out in the city, even though they were supposed to be my equal. Sometimes, it gets to be so bad that I need to get away...

I opened my eyes and stared at the light crystal blue sky, emotions rolling inside me. The cool placid colors soothed me, the calm lifting the heavy feeling some. A gentle breeze blew and ruffled through my hair.
I inhaled deeply, tasting the air before huffing out tiredly.
Why couldn't this world always be this peaceful?

I sat up and gazed at the view. This was the first real thing I saw when I became an Immortal. The view of Stranaglastre was always breathtaking. I never got used to it. I came up here a lot when I felt frustrated. I'd just sit myself down right on mountainside and let the place do its magic.
Today was the same as any other day I came up here. And as always, it worked.

As I sat there and thought about stuff, another cool breeze brushed against my skin. It was warm and soothing, letting me relax to the core. Almost eager to taste the sweet air, I breathed in deeply.

Immediately I was assaulted by a fresh delicate scent, making my chest clench and my head spin. I gasped out in surprise. It was different than the usual breeze that blew across this mountain, more floral and filled with... hidden emotions? I don't know how to describe it with words, but suddenly I found myself craving more of it. I stood, my eyes prying the scene to look for its source.
The breeze twisted and swept around me, wrapping me in an intoxicating blanket. A weird feeling stirred in my chest, making me feel better than ever.
Uplifting; I felt like I was floating...

Then it was gone, just like that.
The sudden emptiness that took over would've been enough to knock me off my feet had I been standing. It was like a truck-load of weight being punched into my chest. I breathed in again, hoping to catch even a small drift of... what was that?
Nothing of the scent was left in the air.

I fell back to the ground, more disappointed than I should've been. So much for feeling better...
With a heavy sigh, I pulled my messed up hair back out of my eyes and off my forehead.

"You still have that habit going," someone mused behind me.
I smirked and flopped back onto the ground and stared over my head. Zarda was looking down at me with an amused look.
"Hey," he said.
"Hey yourself."
Zarda grinned and flopped himself down to the ground beside me. I closed my eyes and said nothing when I felt him study me.
"What's bothering you?" he asked.
I peeked one eye open to look at my twin. He was still looking at me in a light mood.
"The usual," I replied, brushing off the question.
Zarda hummed thoughtfully.
"The usual, as in the usual crap you pull on everyone as the cool, fun-loving, energetic Slayer Prince?" he asked rhetorically.
I sat back up and looked at him.
"'Slayer Prince'? What's that all about?" I asked, curious.
Zarda laughed, shaking his head.
"You haven't heard about that? It's the nickname the girls use for you down at the Institute."

My happy-mood high suddenly crash landed.

"Ha," I barked out a short laugh, trying to hide my abrupt dark mood. I threw myself back down to the ground and turned away.
"Oh, so that's what it is." Zarda mused.
"What's that?" I asked innocently.
"Oh come on, Zavius; I'm wounded. Do you think you can fool me? I'm your twin! Practically your other half!" he said, half teasing. "The girls are bothering you again, aren't they?"
I scowled in annoyance, shifting away from him.
"Okay, when I say 'the usual', it doesn't just involve the girls. They aren't worth getting upset over." I muttered.
"Then what is 'the usual'?" Zarda asked.

I didn't answer, my childish irritation being stubborn. Zarda waited patiently, not pushing me to respond.
Finally, with a sigh, I turned around to face my brother, sitting up.
"It's everybody," I said. "Everybody and everything."
Zarda frowned, looking at me with sad eyes. He didn't say anything.

I kinda regretted telling him so straight forward. I forced a grin and punched him playfully on the shoulder.
"Aww, don't worry. I still like you, Zar." I joked.
Zarda rolled his eyes and laughed.
"Oh, what a relief," he said sarcastically, ruffling my hair.
I pushed his hand away and we both laughed.

After a while we fell quiet again, silently and comfortably gazing at the landscape. Something in the way back in my memory clicked, rousing old warm feelings. Something way back in time, when my heart actually used to beat...

"It's been a while since we did something like this," Zarda murmured.
"Huh?" I said, glancing over to my brother.
Zarda was gazing out at the scenery before us with a small, warm smile on his face. His eyes were clear blue, the color showing depth of his character.
"I still remember sitting on the edge of the cliff with you and just looking over the trees and the lake," he sighed.
I was taken by surprise when a flurry of color swept across the view of Stranaglastre, replacing the scenery with another one completely different---
And I was back on the top of the cliffside, looking over the dark green blanket of the forest trees, great looming mountains and the glistening lake in the center. A place I haven't seen since I was fourteen.
"Our first secret hideout, remember? A grand view," Zarda murmured.
I inhaled deeply, feeling overwhelmed with the surge of longing the memory stirred.
"It's just like I remember it, except for the smell." I said.
Zarda gave a tired sigh, and the old landscape disappeared.
"I got the visual right, but the other senses! Touch, hearing, smell; I just can't get them right!" he said in a frustrated tone.
His shoulder slumped, looking defeated.
"Hey, at least you have a special ability. I'm here empty-handed." I said comfortingly, managing to swallow tiny spark of envy.
Zarda looked at me, shaking his black hair out of his eyes.
"You'll find it soon, Zav," he said, sounding sure.
"Everyone has a special ability unique to only them. And you're one of the top members of our generation group. Your gift would probably be the greatest."
He paused for second, his expression thoughtful.
"Yea... maybe it's so great that it's taking your body a while longer than usual to show signs!" he said eagerly.

I sighed and I flopped back down on my back. I stared up at the crystal blue sky, not exactly thinking or feeling anything.
Minutes seemed to pass and we just sat there in silence. The thought about that strange breeze came to my mind suddenly, the memory of its scent still fresh in my mind. I sat up and turned to Zarda, who gave me a startled, puzzled look.
"What are you all excited about now?" he asked.
I ignored his question as I tried to put together a thought of my own in words.
"Did you... uh, wasn't... the wind..." I started over and over again, not knowing exactly what I was trying to explain to him.
"The wind?" Zarda echoed, raising an eyebrow.
I swatted at him to shut up as I tried to continued.
"It... tasted different just earlier. It was... weird." I finished awkwardly.
"Huh? Zavius, I don't get it," Zarda said, frowning.
I huffed out, frustrated with my lack of right words.
"A breeze! A different breeze was blowing!" I said sounding defensive.

Zarda's puzzled look was replaced with his thoughtful one.
"A different breeze," he mused to himself, and then smiled. "Well, isn't that interesting."
"What?" I said. I didn't find anything interesting or amusing, just puzzling.
But Zarda sat next to me, practically smiling all warm and melty at me that made me feel a bit gross. I kinda regretted talking out about it.
"Ugh, forget it," I groaned, starting to get up.
But Zarda grabbed a hold on my shoulder.
"No, no. We might actually have something here," he insisted, pulling me back down.
I rolled my eyes but sat down to let Zarda put in his thought. I looked at him warily, waiting for him to continue.

Zarda was still smiling when he turned his gaze back to look over Stranaglastre's scenery.
"That different breeze that you, as you say 'tasted', could mean number of different things," he said.
I snorted at his as-matter-of-fact tone.
"Yea? Like what?" I asked, a bit skeptical.
"Well, one easy answer would be... absolutely nothing." Zarda said lightly.
"Would you complain if I said that answer pisses me off?" I retorted.
Zarda laughed, shaking his head.
"But I don't think that's the case," he reassured me.
He got up and stretched, breathing out contently. He stuffed his hands in his pockets, and took on a casual stance.
"There is another possibility." he said.

Another soft breeze blew then, flowing across the flat cliff top we were on. I inhaled deeply, the air sweet and gentle. But somehow, it seemed... empty.
Zarda breathed in deeply, his eyes closing. He sighed again and opened his eyes. He turned to me, his expression a bit all-knowing and somewhat secretive.
"As Immortals, we are now different from what we were as human beings. We are more... focused, high-tuned to sense everything around us. But we are... still. Frozen in time, after we're reborn." he said.

I studied my twin, trying to read his thoughts through his posture and expression.
"I don't get what you're getting at," I said, seeing nothing.

Zarda's eyes practically glowed deep blue as he smiled in thoughtful amusement.
"I think that's why we are sensitive to something we weren't before."
"What's that? Get to the point." I said impatiently.
Zarda took a step towards me and put a hand on top of my head.
"We're sensitive to change, Zavius. Both worldly and personal changes. Maybe that breeze of yours is bringing you something different in your life." he said.
He mused to himself for a second, and grinned. The hand on my head playfully ruffled my hair.
"Maybe we're finally seeing a girlfriend in the future..." he said innocently.
I huffed my hair out of my eyes and pushed his hand away.
"As if," I muttered.
Zarda chuckled, his expression teasing.
"You never know, man. It can hit you out of nowhere; she could tackle you even before you see her and just steal your heart." he said theatrically.
I threw a careless punch in his direction. He dodged it smoothly, laughing as he went.
"Come. Rise from your despair and prance down to our next training session! Yes, let's do so together, arm in arm!" he sang, laughing.
I got to my feet and aimed a kick at him, missing yet again.
"I don't prance, you freak!" I yelled, trying hard not to laugh and stay angry.

Zarda flashed to my side and draped his arm over my shoulder.
"Come, come. Time to blow those damsels away with our cool charm, Slayer
Prince! Off to the glowing horizon!" he cried.
I laughed, unable to help myself. I gave my twin a playful shove, grinning.
"Save me some dignity, Zarda. We're in this together...forever."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, if you want to comment, click here!!

Subscribe if you like, and don't be afraid to give me some criticism!! (though please be nice to me...XD)

~K