Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 24: Black Suits

I blinked, not sure if I was seeing alright, hallucinating or just plain crazy.
Because there was no way in hell all I was seeing was real.

“This is our Training Room.”

I wheeled around to see Sir Ravador humming contently, looking around calmly and oh-so-casually.
“It has been a while, yet it is just as I remember.” he mused. “But I suppose it would be strange if it was any different.”

I didn’t know how to reply; I just gaped.

This Training ‘Room’ was more like this huge space that stretched on in all directions. I could look past the vanishing point and still not see the wall. The space was brightly lit by an unseen source of light, but the air was cool and empty.
The first thing that stood out were these rectangular structures of ranging heights and width that towered over my head, scattered in random patterns across the floor, some clustered together while some stood solitary. The floors was this textured, light dull grey and in them were these large squares cut into the ground and filled with water to the ground level. The only place clear of any columns or pools of water was the wide somewhat circular area we were standing in.

What an odd place I thought to myself, turning to look around. I wonder what else these Paramount Towers are hiding…

I turned back and then stopped. Confusion came over me first so I turned around again. And then once more.
And then came the bewilderment.
“What the---” I started to yelp out.

Where the hell were the white doors?!

I swiped my arms through the air, hoping to come in contact with some invisible yet solid set of doors.
It wasn’t long before realization kicked in.
“A portal.” I stated, an odd feeling of calm settling over me.
“Very good, Zavius.” Sir Ravador commended from behind me.
I turned back around to find him at the far edge of the clearing, sitting casually on top of one of the lower rectangular columns. I walked over and looked up at him.
“What is this place?” I asked.

I know he already told me ‘Training Room’, but I guess he understood what I was asking him.
Sir Ravador smiled down at me, his expression bright and youthful. Was it me, or was he doing that a lot; smiling like he was in a good mood. I thought he was supposed to be a bit agitated today…

“This room was originally a neutral common ground of assembly for political meetings used in the era of the original Guardians.” he said. “The leaders of the neighboring states would be brought here if they request an audience from the Five Greats. I cannot be sure how they made use of such a vast space, but served well for my training.”
“But the portal; it wasn’t hidden. And you said the Supreme Elder’s private quarters were around here too. How were you able to keep such a huge secret from Sir Balezar?”
“The private quarters are located in the Core also, but in a different section of the tower.” Sir Ravador replied. “Actually, getting to the portal is the hidden part. This room is in a section of the same tower that has not been in use for thousands or years. Even back when I was a trainee, it had been a forgotten part of our history.”
“But he found out eventually.” I noted.
Sir Ravador’s eyes flickered around him before returning back to me.
“Ah, yes, but even then he never found this place.” he said, sighing.
He then jumped down from the rectangular column to land right before me, effortlessly and gracefully.
“This place is my sanctuary, my place of peace.” he breathed out, his gaze distant in thought.
I took another good look around, trying to take in and force my mind to accept the magnitude of the place as real.
You would think after Immortality, accepting things would be easier.
“This is an ideal sanctuary; seeing that no one can find you, and you can’t get out.” I said, unable to find another door.
Sir Ravador snapped out of his thoughtful trance, suddenly coming back to life.
“Ah, that is the fun part of this room.” he said brightly.

…fun part?

“Uh, sorry, I don’t follow.” I said.

He gave me an amused look before striding past me. He came to a stop at the center of the clearing.
“To help keep the training sessions a secret, my mentor and I came up with a plan---a system, if you will---to aid our efforts. We set a series of one-way portals leading to different locations, all leading from this room. They are all hidden within this space.”
I frowned, my mind whirling.
“Are you saying you built a series of escape roots to different places out, but not into this room?”
“Precisely.” Sir Ravador said, his eyes flashing mischievously. “If I needed to be elsewhere, I could be at that certain place in an instant. Have people see me in one location to explain to Sir Balezar where I have disappeared to for hours---something even days at a time.”
“An alibi.” I realized. “You made a false alibi system to fool Sir Balezar and everyone else.”
Sir Ravador winced, but didn’t deny it. “For my mentor’s sake, the others needed to know not, and the people should not have to lie to Sir Balezar and his rage.” he said, though he still sounded guilty. “I know it was selfish, and far from honorable, but I needed this training.”
“I think it’s great.” I replied, my words coming out before my thoughts.
But what surprised me was how true it was; I honestly was amazed by all this.
“You had the guys and initiative to go through all this trouble to make yourself stronger. I can’t help but to be at awe.” I said. “It’s definitely a whole lot more than what I could do.”
Sir Ravador raised an eyebrow at me, giving me a peculiar look.
“Ah, I would disagree, but before all, I would hope you would not feel the need to take such actions as I did.” he said. “Sir Balezar never saw me to be a formidable Slayer, and he never hesitated in saying or showing what he thought of me. I have no intention or thoughts of putting you through any of what he had given me.”
I forced a smile, not knowing if I could count that as a compliment.
“I sure hope I don’t let you down.” I said in return.

Sir Ravador seemed to study me a bit longer before he gave me a small smile.
“We shall start training tomorrow.” he said, dropping the subject.
Wow, so soon…
“Sounds good,” I said. “So…then, uh…which portal do I need to find to get back?”
Sir Ravador chuckled, shaking his head.
“For now, I will assist you out of this room.” he said. “Now let’s get you out of here.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A peacful silence fell over us again as we walked side by side through a more familiar setting of flawless white walls and light blue marble floor. After all I saw today, these halls seemed all too bland and dull.
Though my mind settled into an odd sense of ease, the weight of my thoughts were starting to return to sit on my shoulders.
Today’s Summon answered some questions I had, but there were still left unanswered. And not to mention the things that couldn’t be answered so easily…
I supressed a sigh, not wanting Sir Ravador to hear. He had said that some burdens aren’t meant to be held by just one person. But there was really no way of explaining to people what exactly was going on with me, when even I wasn’t even sure.
What could I possibly say?

With every step I took, the deeper I felt myself sink into my darkest thoughts.

She-conscience.

How was she? Is she okay?---No, stupid question. Of course she’s not ‘okay’, and she won’t be; not until she’s rescued from the Black Suits---

“Get it off the floor---”
“…Ugh, it got blood on my---”
‘Get it off the floor.’ ‘Don’t break its jaw…’ IT does this, IT is that.
IT. IT. IT. IT…


My jaw clenched, and my hands curled into a tight fist.
Thya was supposed to take care of something, and when she had run out of my dwelling like that I just assumed that it had to do with She-conscience.
So? Did she get to her? Did she find her?
Why wouldn’t she just tell me?

“---Zavius?”

I tensed, catching myself lost in my thoughts yet again. My eyes flickered towards my left.
Sir Ravador was looking at me again, his eyes filled with concern.
“I mean not to be so forceful, but are you alright?” he asked me.
I blinked at my mentor, frowning.
“I’m fine.” I replied.
Sir Elder Ravador’s eyes flickered down sharply, seemingly catching every little detail. Self-conscious, I quickly followed his gaze…to my bound hand.
“Oh.” I let out flatly. “I cut it up pretty good.”
“Doing what exactly?”
I hesitated, not wanting to answer.
“I…uh, I punched the mirror in my room.” I mumbled reluctantly.

How was I supposed to lie to my mentor and Supreme Elder?

Sir Ravador mused thoughtfully, looking me over.
“Troubled. Anger, Frustration. Anxiety, confusion and even fear.” he noted. “A heavy burden takes up much of the air surrounding you. Are you sure you are alright?”

I stared back at my mentor, unable to speak.
He already had me read through like a book.
Sir Ravador studied me as he waited patiently for an answer.
“Zavius,” he repeated my name in a prompting, yet soothing tone.

What was I supposed to do? What should I say?

I sighed, breathing in deeply to breathe out one more time.
“Sir, I think I’m in trouble.”
I saw Sir Ravador’s expression knit into one of confusion.
“How so?” he asked, his tone still soft.
I felt myself scramble, trying to find a way to explain. My mouth went dry and my head started to pulse in a way that did nothing to help my already screwed up mind.

“I---I, uh…”

I forced myself to stop, pausing so I could somewhat collect my thoughts and pull myself together.
“Something is wrong with me.” I said.
Sir Ravador’s expression was still puzzled so I just went on.
“I feel…out of control, like I’m unraveling faster and faster. I wasn’t like this a week ago; I was fine. And then stuff---so many stuff--- just happened and suddenly I can’t even think straight or function on my own accord, being thrown around by my own thoughts; up, down, left, right--- My blood feels like it’s boiling under my skin! I can’t---I just can’t---I don’t even know where all of this began---”

I didn’t even realize that I was rambling until I felt a secure grip suddenly reach out and take a hold of my elbow. I bristled at the touch on reflex. Seconds afterwards, I realized we had teleported again.

Sir Ravador was tugging on my arm gently, yet urgently guiding me in some direction. Before I knew it, I was sitting on a cool stone bench.
“At ease, Zavius.” he was telling me. “Slowly, tell me what happened.”
My eyes flitted around, quickly taking in my new surroundings.
“The Atrium.” I said in recognition. “Why are we here?”
“Zavius,” Sir Ravador said, sounding exasperated. “Why are you in trouble?”
I squirmed, feeling like a child being reprimanded by their father.
“I can’t see her.” I said.

Here it goes again; I was loose, unraveling, spiraling out of control.

“Who?”
“I don’t know where they took her, where they’re keeping her…”
“Zavius.”
“I can’t hear her thoughts---”
“Who? Who’s thoughts?”

I looked back up to Sir Ravador, who was now wearing a very perplexed look.
What is this? Where was this random meltdown coming from?

“Who is she, Zavius?”

I swallowed, my throat suddenly very dry. I opened my mouth to speak.
“She---”

“Man, what another rough night.”

I froze, chilled instantly to the bone.

“We can never catch a break, can we?”

My mind went haywire, immediately zoning in on these new voices.
I knew their voices.

“Ugh, tell me about it. Any more of this endless game and I swear, I’m gonna lose it.”

I wheeled around, my eyes zooming in on the grand archway at the far side of the wide atrium.
That voice.
That laughter.
That tone---How could I forget it.

“All this work better be worth something good.”

My muscles locked down tightly as three lean figures stepped right into my view.
The Black Suits.

I couldn’t move, speak or think.
It was undeniable; the three wore the same featureless black uniforms, same voices.
And they just waltzed in right before my eyes.

“Zavius?”

I got up, my eyes not straying once from the trio.

“Zavius.”

I took a step forward. And then another. And another.

Zavius.

The three Black Suits were walking towards me, laughing at something one of them had said. They were all oblivious to me approaching.

“Zavius, stop---”

I ignored my mentor’s command and dove, aiming right for their throats.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey readers!!

SO this one was a bit early; granted, it’s shorter than the last and most of my standard updates. But hey, I think it’s okay for an update in the middle of my college Finals week. XD
I don’t know if the flow of the story is going smoothly, as in not jumpy, smooth transitions, etc. Let me know on that and how you think it is.

ALSO…Let me know what you think of it so far!! Honestly, I would never, EVER do something like holding chapters hostage, (cuz frankly, I just find that STUPID. =P) but I would like at least a tinsy-bit of feedback?
Cuz I can now say, with some certainty:

Ladies and Germs, I am suffering from Stage 4 Silent Readers Syndrome.

You guys hold the cure…Help me. XD

Haha, all jokes aside, I do appreciate you guys subscribing. It means a whole lot to me; and I just want to make sure you guys are getting all the enjoyment out of my stories as possible.
So please, let me know how you like/dislike/love/hate/ it!!

~K