Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 27: A Guilty White Lie

“I told you I’ll find her.

I dove forward, my fingers stretching towards the stranger’s shoulder.
The stranger was still turning, her back still to her attacker. Her head was facing over her shoulder, looking directly at the blade that was coming down. But it was no good; she can’t move fast enough---
I kicked off of the invisible ground underneath my feet, willing myself to shoot forward, praying that I would get there fast enough.
“Taeri, stop!” I screamed.
Taeri had that sick, eager smile on her face, her eyes practically growing with flames. She was crazy, insane…

“I’ll find her…and I’ll kill her.”

“TAERI!”

Taeri’s smile grew wide, her eyes wilder as her fist, the blade came down---


---thud.

“---NO!”

I went to dive forward but the moment I moved a hand clamped down on my right shoulder.
“At ease, Zavius.” a cool, calm voice spoke.

I blinked, and my vision shifted, revealing a brighter, well-lit space. I realized then that I was lying on my back, staring up at a clean white ceiling. My heart was still racing a mile a minute so I inhaled sharply in attempt to calm down. The sterile smell of the place was strong, sending a cold chill down my throat.
My brows scrunched together in confusion at the recognition of the place.
“The Infirmary.” I murmured.
Sir Elder Ravador hummed from where he was seated next to the bed, studying me with a careful look.
“Well, it seems that your cognitive mind is still intact with no evident impairment to your thought process; all of which are great news.” he said at ease as he released my shoulder. “You had us worried. You were quite visibly troubled in your sleep.”
I sat up slowly, my whole body aching stiffly.
“We?” I echoed questioningly, glancing at my mentor.
Sir Ravador gazed at me warily, as if to gauge me reaction.
I blanched.
“You told Zarda,” I murmured, horrified.
“Only the necessary facts, Zavius. For all he knows, you passed out from over exhaustion.” he assured me. “He is your brother after all; he would be concerned to hear you have been hospitalized.”
“But how did he even find out?” I groaned.
The look on Sir Elder’s face didn’t give me good news.
“Zarda went looking for you and found your dwelling in shambles. He then started asking for you.” he told me, and I felt myself cringe. “I myself went to go evaluate the magnitude of the rumored damages and I must say you have me concerned. And from what Thya told me it is a story to be told by none other than you.”
“Thya…told you?” I asked, and I couldn’t help but feel slightly betrayed. But Sir Ravador shook his head.
“Not with the will to betray your trust, but under my orders…and I am sure out of concern.” he said. “But all she said was that you may be in danger and that it would be best to let you speak of it.”
He still seemed careful with his words and my reactions as he spoke.
“So please, if you will.”

I breathed out slowly, trying to force myself to calm back down.
“I never meant for it to seem like I was hiding anything.” I said.
“I know that, Zavius.”
“Hell, I don’t even know what I’m hiding or why. I’m so confused with---argh!” I growled in frustration, my hand finding its way to press the heels of my palm to my eyes.
“It will be alright. Take your time.” Sir Ravador soothed.
I couldn’t get over how pathetic I felt, how aggravating all of this was.
“I’m sorry, Sir. I’m very sorry.”
A soft touch landed on my shoulder, making me lift my face from my hands. Sir Ravador gave me a kind smile.
“You have nothing to be sorry for.” he told me.

I stared at him, taking in his tall posture, wise gaze and his patient demeanor. At the moment, he wasn’t sitting next to me as a superior, the Chief Elder of the Four Gates. Otherwise, he could’ve just commanded me to tell him everything. He was waiting, giving me the choice of whether to tell him or not, speak the truth or to lie.
He sat next to me as a mentor, watching over me as a mentor should.

I swallowed the thick lump in my throat and inhaled slowly.
“What would you like to know?” I asked.

Sir Ravador pulled back and his kind smile diminished, but only to reveal a serious and attentive expression.
“How about the facts on how you came to be Branded?” he said smoothly.
I stiffened slightly at the word ‘Branded’, but quickly relaxed.
“So Thya told you.” I mused.
Sir Ravador hummed thoughtfully before he answered.
“No, I knew the moment you walked into Elder’s Hall this morning.” he said calmly. “You hide it well, but I can see the toll of the burden your right arm is causing you.”
Before I could even feel alarmed, he lightly pressed the tips of his fingers to my right sleeve.
“Sharp flares of rage radiate from this arm in such a possessive nature. I recognized the marks of a Branding immediately.”
He then closed his eyes, taking on a look of still focus.
“My Seventh Sense tells me…oh.”

Sir Ravador lifted his hand from my arm then, and then slowly opened his eyes.
“An intriguing tale indeed.” he murmured. His brows knitted together in a darker expression, bemusing me further.
“Sir?” I questioned.
“The caster of your Branding is rather unstable, is she not?”
I sighed out, shaking my head to myself.
“If she wasn’t, would she have---”
I stopped. My eyes flickered to my mentor.
“You said she…” I spoke slowly.
Sir Ravador met my eyes with a still gaze that seemed to see through everything. The eyes said it all.
“You know who Branded me.” I said.
Sir Ravador studied me for another moment before getting out of his seat. He glided around the foot of my bed and smoothly strode over to the wide window on the far side of the room.
“The Seventh Sense, Zavius, is an ability you will come to learn as a sight that holds deep capabilities. Though it is still an ability filled with mystery, one use is reading Energy.”
“Reading…Energy.” I echoed, confused. Yea, I remember reading something like that in that book, but I didn’t really get how it was possible. Sir Ravador went on.
“Our Energy and Pulse are very much like what blood is. One’s Energy belongs to them and only them. In short, from the reading I just took I now know the degree of the Branding, the pain it is causing you and most importantly who Branded you in the first place.” he said. He then turned back to me, leveling a very serious look.
“Branding another is considered to be a heinous offense under our Laws and Oaths as a Slayer. Taeri will eventually have to face the consequences of her actions.”
I sighed, and closed my eyes.
“Good. She deserves it.” I said. “What are the consequences to Branding another Slayer, anyway?”
There was a slight pause before Sir Ravador replied.

“…Termination by death.”

My eyes snapped open, shocked despite myself.
“Termination…you mean---”
“Execution.”
“So she could be killed off.” I said flatly.

Sir Ravador breathed out slowly, his expression still.
“These Laws were not made without reason. It is a matter of security of all Light Immortals.” he said.
“How did this issue that was between just me and her become the matter of all of Galiasis?”
“You are right, Zavius, this is between you and her. But that is the status of the issue currently and that may very well possibly change at any given time.” he said.
“What does that even mean?” I demanded. “Either way, execution over this situation is too harsh.”
“Is it?” Sir Ravador questioned, his tone slightly hardened.
I blinked, not expecting the change in tone from him. I watched as he glided back towards me.
“Terminating a Slayer is not a choice taken lightly or made without deep consideration.” he said. “If anything, it is one method I would like to avoid.”
“But then why?” I asked. “What dictates that she needs to be killed?”
“Our history and past.” Sir Ravador replied.

I stared, confused by what he was telling me. Sir Ravador sighed, and came over to sit next to me again.
“Do you know the stories of out Great Wars?” he asked me.
I frowned, not following.
“Uh…no.” I replied, unsure. Was I supposed to know? “Oh, but I know the gist of the whole, uh, account.” I added hastily.
Sir Ravador nodded and seemed to accept the answer.
“No mind; there are many chapters to that dark era of out history. I just wanted to focus on one, a single part yet it inevitably brought on the War.”
“And what is that part?” I asked.
I watched, as my mentors eyes grew distant, a glimpse of mixed sadness and seriousness showing through.
“The Fallen.” he said.

The Fallen---the Immortals in the Legends that sided with the traitor Guardian. Supposedly they are strong, much more dangerous than the Bloodkins we battle everyday.

“Many hold a false notion that because they are sworn by an Oath as a Slayer that they are safe, and their conscience will forever be clear.” Sir Ravador said. “Never forget; we always have a choice.”

All the sudden, the room seemed twenty degrees cooler. It was a chilling idea, becoming one of them…

“They do not realize how easy it is to stray from the Light.” Sir Ravador continued.
I looked at him, and he returned the same even gaze.
“Taeri’s behavior is escalating quickly. I fear that she is truly in danger…”

That was when it all clicked.

“But that doesn’t mean she’ll turn into a Fallen.” I argued. “Her motives are shallow, and all her actions has been more impulsive---”
“All the more reason to be concerned.” Sir Ravador interjected.
What he said next nearly turned me to stone.

“She makes one kill of another Immortal, she would be Fallen.”

I was…cold. I felt as if I had plunged into ice water. One minute all this was just between me and Taeri, but then suddenly the safety of the Immortals were at risk. And now I’m being told Taeri has to be killed to avoid a repeat of history? Aren’t we being slightly dramatic?

These incredulous thoughts scrambled up in my head, one after another.
This is ridiculous. I thought. He’s clearly exaggerating.
But I couldn’t bring myself to argue back, voice these thoughts. Because there was no shaking that memory, the exact words Taeri had spoken not too long ago.

“Go ahead; protect her all you like, Zavius. But I will find out who she is, and where she is…And I will kill her.”

Her tone broke through and shredded all the denial in my head.
Yea, she acts impulsively, and behind those acts were always shallow reasons. She’s also unpredictable, being unstable as she was. But that’s just it. Because she is all that, I can’t defiantly say---

My fingers curled into a fist in my lap, gripping onto a fistful of the bed sheet.
To terminate…

---I don’t want this decision to be on me.

I was lost deep into my thoughts when I heard Sir Ravador sigh.
“The course of action to take is still up to you.” he said. “You are the victim here; without your approval, we cannot act to punish, seeing that that only evidence of offense is on your body---”

“Give me time.”

My voice came out hoarse, but urgent. I lifted my eyes to my mentor, forcing my expression to be calm.
“Please.” I added.

Sir Ravador blinked, looking surprised at my reply.
“Time.” he echoed, his brows knitting together in mild confusion.
“To think things through.” I said. “I know that this may be time-sensitive but…I need time to think.”
Sir Ravador studied me, just as I had thought he would. But then he gave me a small subtle smile that threw me off, his look seemingly all-knowing.
“Normally under such circumstances, I would press to make the choice without delay. But…”
He broke off, a thoughtful expression forming on his face.
I frowned, curious.
“But?” I prompt.
Sir Ravador’s smile grew slightly warmer, his eyes gazing at me confidently.
“In your case, it seems that I needn’t worry so much…yet.” he mused.
He nodded towards my right arm pointedly.
“When I gave you the reading, there was one other Energy marking I saw that was also foreign, significantly different from yours and even Taeri’s.” he said.

---Another Energy?

My eyes flickered to my right arm, bemused. My knuckles were now partially healed, just enough to be able to keep the bandages off. But nothing really felt any different---

“There is no need to panic, Zavius. I also recognized this Energy signature.” Sir Ravador said.
I turned back to him, not fully reassured.
“What? I mean, what does that mean?” I asked.
“It seems to me that you found a rather strong ally to help you.” he replied. “Though she herself cannot remove the Branding, I suggest you listen to what she may have to say; it may just save you if needs be.”
“She…” I echoed, confused. My left finger absentmindedly trailed along my forearm as I thought hard---

An identity surfaced almost immediately to the front of my thoughts, shocking me. I could practically feel my eyes pop out as I stared at Sir Elder.
Sir Elder Ravador chuckled.
“By your expression, you know who I am speaking of.” he noted. “But what startled you so?”
“Well, um…I, uh…” I stuttered, my brain feeling like it was frying. I swallowed quickly before forcing the words out.
“If I’m thinking of the right person, well…I didn’t fully believe she existed.”
“Oh?” Sir Ravador let out, sounding curious.
I grimaced.
“I never really met her, sir.”

“Ah,” he replied, as if he understood immediately. “But that is no reason to doubt her existence. You before everyone else should know of her ways. I swear to you, she will be your greatest ally.”

Sir Ravador then got up from his seat and started towards the door.
“Of course, I will be keeping a close eye over the situation, need it be I will intervene.” he added. “But enough talking for now; I believe someone has been waiting restlessly to talk to you.”

Before I could open my mouth to ask who, he pressed the lock button to my room door. The moment the door slid aside, a figure rushed in.
“Zavius!” Zarda said, his voice filled with a mix of anxiety and worry. The moment he saw me sitting up on the bed, very much alive, he sighed out in relief. “Deus, you’re alright.”
Guilt churned in my stomach at the sight of him; he looked like a worried wreck.
I gave him a sheepish smile, practically having to force one out.
“Hey,” I offered dryly.

Zarda wasted no time jumping down my throat.

“Zavius, what the hell?! Do you have any idea what I’ve been through in the past eight hours? Tell me what happened,” he demanded.
I blinked, forcing my expression to be blank as I panicked internally. I had yet to come up with a good lie to cover all…this.
“Uh, about what?” I returned pathetically, speaking slowly.
Zarda clapped him hand to his forehead, looking downright aggravated.
‘About what?’ he says.” he mimicked, more to himself.
Then he started yelling.
“Your dwelling, you idiot! It’s…it’s trashed! Flipped over! A fucking mess!”
My mouth fell open, more at the fact that he was swearing in front of our Supreme Elder than the fact that I still didn’t have an answer to give him.
“Well, uh…”
“Thya told me she found you passed out in the mess, bleeding and beat up. So what the hell happened in there?”

My mind settled some, though surprised to hear of this story. My eyes flickered to where Sir Ravador stood, who was now wearing a neutral expression.
He seemed to be fine with this cover.

“Zavius?”

I turned back to my brother, who was now staring at me as he waited for a proper explanation.
“Oh…sorry.” I said. I allowed myself a heavy sigh.
“It’s…it’s really not what you’re probably thinking. All this…yea, it was all me.”
Zarda lifted an eyebrow at me, looking skeptical.
“All you?” he repeated. “You did this to yourself.”
“Uh…Yup.”
“The cuts, the bruises…the cuts on your hand---”
“I punched my mirror to smithereens.”
“They said you had bruises that looked like someone kicked you in the side pretty hard.”

Ah shit.

“I fell a few times, throwing anything I got my hands on and took a few stumbles.” I lied smoothly, trying to hide how lame that excuse sounded. “I really couldn’t tell you which one did the most damage.”
Zarda’s eyes narrowed at this. I could tell he didn’t buy any of it.
“So you’re telling me you beat yourself up?” he questioned me.

I let out another heavy sigh, almost shaking my head. It was hard, having to lie to Zarda of all people; he was literally my better half. I’m really going to have to bring in the whole package on this one.

“I know it sounds crazy, but trust me.” I said, forcing myself not to wince at the word ‘trust’.
“It all started with being bored, and then being frustrated. I couldn’t even go train at the Training Grounds with the stupid restriction and all, and I didn’t know where else I could’ve gone.” I said. “And then I got to thinking, ‘Hey, I could just train right here in my dwelling.'”
Zarda didn’t say anything, just waiting for me to finish my story. So I continued on with my string of lies.
“It just really escalated from there. I remembered that day when we were Summoned and Sir Ravador saying something about my Seventh Sense…I wanted to try and reactivate it.”

It almost amazed me how smoothly these lies came together. If only this had been towards any other person, I would’ve actually admired my work.
I sighed and closed my eyes.
“I tried all sorts of things to try getting it out. Like reenacting the events before my eyes went all freaky.”
Zarda frowned, giving the first reaction since I started ‘explaining’.
“…Zavius, at one point that day, Mivian lit you on fire.” he said flatly.
I allowed a grimace in response.
“Speaking of which, I should probably take this time to tell you about your jacket you lent me.” I spoke sheepishly.
Zarda blinked at me for a few seconds before he blanched, an expression of shock taking over.
“You didn’t…” he murmured in a hushed tone.
I snorted at his response, unimpressed.
“I was okay, didn’t hurt one bit, lighting myself on fire.” I said.
“Zavius, how could you be so reckless?” he demanded.
I shrugged, avoiding his gaze.
“I just got tired of doing nothing.” I said nonchalantly.
But Zarda waved his hand impatiently.
“I’m serious, what the hell were you thinking?” he demanded.
I scowled, not liking how I was being reprimanded like a child.
“Zarda, at a certain point, I wasn’t thinking anymore. I just kind of exploded.” I said. “I really can’t tell you when my conscience stopped talking to me; before I knew it, I was a mess.”

That last line stung a little in an odd way. It was only a half-lie; it was the truth that before I knew it, I had turned into a monster. But I knew exactly when my conscience stopped talking to me. It was what started the rampage.
A still silence settled in the room as Zarda took in all I just told him. The air was filled with shock and incredulity.
Of course, most of what I spewed out just now was bullshit; but would it be enough for my twin---

“Answer me this: why?” Zarda suddenly said.

I blinked at him, surprised and somewhat confused at his one-worded question.
“Why?” I echoed.
“Why get so worked up? Why get to the point where you lose all control over yourself like that?”

Ah…this dreaded question.

I looked back down at my hand in my lap, still in the tight fist as I wracked my brain for a perfectly believable reason to explain my uncharacteristic and inexplicable behavior. I forced myself to analyze exactly what Zarda was asking me.
Why did I get so worked up over something as small as training? An ability?

The most believable lie is a product of truth.

“I don’t really want to say.” I said lamely.
“Well, say it anyways.” Zarda pushed.
I sighed, partly irritated by how pushy he was being. But I obediently started to speak.
“I guess…I got all worked up because I really wanted to master the Seventh Sense.” I said.
Before Zarda could cut me off, I went on.
“Hey, I don’t even have an ability. You have your illusions, Thya has her telekinesis, and Sarvwen has his time-speed thing. I hate to admit it but yea, it bothers me sometimes. So when this whole ‘Seventh Sense’ business started, I got excited.”

I couldn’t even look at Zarda; this was pretty much the most truthful thing I have said. And I didn’t like saying any of it.

“I guess I thought if I got this sight down, I will be one step closer to becoming strong, like you guys.” I mumbled, completing my shameful ‘confession’.

I felt like shit, but I deserved it. May as well take it as it came.

Zarda got really quiet standing beside me. It was really awkward, and the silence was really heavy on my shoulders. I was starting to regret saying the last portion of this story.

But then I felt a hand land soundly on my head, ruffling up my hair in a gentle yet brotherly manner.
“You idiot.” I heard Zarda mutter.
I didn’t even realize that he had taken a step closer to my bed until he was hovering over my hunched form. I felt the hand on the top of my head pull me sideways, until I felt my temple push against Zarda’s torso.

Zarda said nothing else as he just stood there next to me, my ear against his ribcage and his hand resting on top of my head in this strange half-embrace. He made no other effort to move or force comfort. But this silent gesture was enough.
I didn’t move or protest; I just limply leaned into my supporting brother and closed my eyes.

As my twin stood still with my head against his body, I listened through his Pulse his thoughts and feelings.

Worry…Relief…Pain…Sadness.

And I wondered, was all this really worth the guilty white lie.
♠ ♠ ♠
UUUGGGGHHHH….I finally UPDATED!! 0__0
This is still quite long, considering it was supposed to be part of the last chapter…but I really hope I did a good job of not boring you. X(

I’m really sorry for keeping you guys. I’m not doing it to be mean, I write everyday! But someday when I plan on updating, I pass out from fatigue or get dragged off elsewhere away from my laptop…

But that is no excuse. I am trying my very best to keep these going.
Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter. It’s not my favorite update, but I am quite fond of the last moment between the twins….I do hope I got the image of their close relationship down. (NOT TWINCEST!! GAH!!)

It’s just Zarda has always watched out for his younger brother, I think it hurts him to think Zavius is down and depressed…=’(

Anywho...please leave me a comment!