Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 28: Recovery Time

Another day and a half and I was released from the Infirmary. Apparently my episode of self-destruction took a toll on my Energy circulation so most of my superficial cuts and bruises were left to heal the old-fashioned way; with time. It was odd to feel this sore and have tender spots. I can’t remember dealing with this as a human; clearly I had lost my patience with these sorts of things over the years. I was already missing my healing abilities not an hour later.

Sir Ravador had left discreetly sometime during the time Zarda and I were talking. I didn’t even hear him leave, but I guess he had other important things to tend to…that and he was being polite. As for Zarda, he stayed with me for the rest of my stay in the Infirmary as a patient, no matter how hard I tried to kick him out. But then again, I didn’t really have the heart to try too hard.

I let out one heavy sigh, almost to try and heave the dense weight off of my shoulders. My sore ribs cracked and ached as it expanded with my lungs and I let out an involuntary hiss.
Really…I can’t even breathe without something hurting.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Zarda glance over at me with concern.
“Are you okay?” he asked worriedly.
I waved away his concern and threw a grin his way.
“Never better.” I lied. “Just like the good old days.”
“The attending said you should still rest, and refrain from any excessive and strenuous activity for the next few days.” he reminded me.
I groaned out loud, already tired of hearing it.
“‘Excessive and strenuous activity.’” I echoed with distaste. “What does that even mean?”
“It means no more training in your dwelling.” Zarda said dryly. “And for the time being, no training anywhere.
I grunted, impatience bubbling in my gut.
This was going to be a long few days…

We continued to walk as we were, a mutual silence settling over us. After I was discharged, Zarda had insisted on walking me back to my dwelling. Personally, I thought that was overkill, but after all that I put him through I found it really hard to tell him no.
My eyes fell to the floor and I shoved my hands into my pockets. I couldn’t help it; guilt was gnawing at me mercilessly. First it was all the lying business. It disgusted me how easy it was to lie to Zarda like that. We were much too close for secrets, and Zarda was better than that. Then there was the fact that I had unintentionally guilt-tripped him into staying with me. I didn’t ask for the special treatment, but seeing my twin’s sullen expression was enough to shut me up and let him have his way.
But…

I glanced sideways towards Zarda, peering at his face. He was staring straight ahead, watching where he was going. But the way his eyes seemed clouded…he clearly had stuff on his mind. Mixed with a twinge of sadness---a wild guess to what he’s thinking about now.
I sighed again, this time ignoring the aches and pains of my bruised ribs.

The guilt-driven situation wasn’t doing either one of us any good.

“What is it?” Zarda asked, sounding wary.
I held back another groan and stared back at the floor.
“I feel like crap.” I said flatly.
Zarda frowned.
“It’s gonna take time…” he started to say.
I shook my head, forcing myself to look at him.
“No, that’s not it.” I said. “It’s this whole thing. I feel bad for putting you through all this because of me.”

That, and lying to you, hiding things from you, manipulating you with guilt---

“You shouldn’t feel bad about anything.” I continued on to say, cutting off my guilty thoughts.

Zarda blinked at me, and then gave out a low hum.
“Maybe I shouldn’t, but I do anyways.” he said truthfully.
This time I groaned.
“But it would be cold-hearted to not feel bad about anything.” he went on.
He then smiled at me.
“Hey, maybe you shouldn’t worry so much about me and worry more about yourself.” he said.
“I should be tellingyou that.” I returned.
“I’m your older brother; it’s my job to worry.”
I snorted.
“Older…by what? Two minutes?” I retorted.
Zarda grinned.
“Still counts.”
“We’re twins!”
Zarda shrugged nonchalantly, suppressing a grin.
“I still beat you in the race to become the first born so…” he said.
I punched him in the arm and he stumbled sideways, laughing. I grinned, shaking my head.

This…this felt more natural.

We walked the rest of the way to my dwelling in an easy silence, both of us content with the exchange we just had. Even my guilt let up some, allowing some room for much needed peace of mind. It’s been a while since Zarda and I talked like this so it was actually nice…

We reached the door to my dwelling in the same warm silence. Reactively I held my breath as I reached over and punched in the code to my door keypad. A small beep sounded from the keypad as it accepted my code, sliding the door open.
I glanced nervously towards Zarda before stepping into my dwelling.

My steps slowed as I wandered further into my dwelling. I came to a complete stop when I came to my living room area.
“Woah,” I let out.

To my surprise, the room had been cleaned up and set with new furnishings. There was nothing left of the masses of debris I had left behind, not even a shard of glass was seen anywhere on the cleared floor. My eyes wandered from the new couches, the large table, the polished floor to the wall. The mirror I had shattered had been replaced, restoring my mirrored wall. Everything was back in its rightful place.

I let out a breath I was holding and turned to Zarda. He looked around the place and whistled.
“Thya did a great job cleaning up.” he mused.

Thya?

“Thya did all this?” I asked, still at awe.
Zarda nodded.
“She was all fired up for it too…maybe she set traps.” he joked.

I let out a dry laugh, still glancing around. Then I checked underneath the couch cushion.

“So…are you going to be okay?” I heard Zarda ask.
I looked over my shoulder at my twin, who was leaning against my kitchen counter. His expression was calm and he was even smiling a bit, but a little glimpse of concern showed through his eyes.
I set the couch cushion down and pressed it back into its place.
“Yea…” I said. I straightened up and turned back to face him.
“Yea.” I repeated, this time more surely. “I’ll be okay.”
Zarda studied me a little, before he gave me a small smile.
“Alright then.” he said.
He pushed off of the counter and started towards the door.
“I think I’ll head out now.” he said.
“Oh…okay then.” I replied. “I’ll walk you out.”

Nothing was said during the short walk to my door. Zarda stepped out into the corridor and turned back.
“Let me know if you need me.” he said.
“I will.” I promised.
“And if you ever feel self-destructive again---”
“You will be the first to know.” I told him honestly.
Zarda smiled, looking somewhat relieved.
“Great.” he said.
He lifted hand in a wave and started to walk away.

I watched him until I couldn’t see him anymore before closing the door and walking back into the living room.
It surely was absurdly orderly, considering the damage my blind rage had dealt. I’ll personally have to thank Thya whenever I see her next…
The thought of her suddenly triggered something tucked in the far corner of my mind. My eyes immediately flickered towards my bedroom door.

That’s right…past the door and in my room, sitting on top of my bedside table was a book Thya had lent me. And I had yet to even crack it open.
Taking one last glimpse at my newly redone living room, I made my way to my bedroom. The door slid aside as I approached, allowing me entry into the dimly lit space.

The bedroom was left untouched, and just the way I left it. The blanket on my bed was sloppily draped over my wide mattress, gathering in uneven rolls across the surface. Zarda’s jacket---or rather what’s left of it---was still on the floor in its clumpy heap, probably already dry by now. The curtains on my wide window were left drawn shut, the way I usually left it. And there in a neat orderly pile on my bedside table were two books; Immortal Perception and Discovered Senses and History of Galiasis: The Four Gates Union.
Calmly, I picked my way around the side of my bed and seated myself down on the edge of the mattress. I unzipped my jacket and kicked off my shoes, letting them land on the floor as they fell. Once I was comfortable I turned my eyes back onto the books.

If I couldn’t train, I may as well use the time to read.

Slowly, almost cautiously, I reached over and grabbed the History of Galiasis off of my bedroom table. It was slightly heavier than I had anticipated, denser to the touch.
But it was still an ordinary book.
I sighed, leaning back down into my pillows.

What more was I expecting from just the feel of the book? It doesn’t look any different from any other book; I wouldn’t be able to pick it out from a fully stocked shelf without the title.
I quickly inspected the spine of the book, trailing a finger down the thick binding before flipping it over to the front cover.

History of Galiasis: The Four Gates Union

Thya had said it had helped shed some light on the Gifts each Slayer is supposed to have. But she had said they were more stories than actual confirmed facts. Stories of the First Great Era, the Dividing War…and the fascinating legends of the Divinus, the Six Legendary Being responsible for our unique abilities.
---Abilities I have yet to discover for myself.

…What if?

I scowled, irritated by my own thoughts.
What if, what? What was I looking for? What could possibly change if I read this book? I was a skeptic, guilt-tripped into reading this book by Thya. Six Legends of Galiasis was nothing but a fairy tale…
But what if…
What if they really did exist? What if they were really the reason why Slayers had their abilities? Then why don’t I have an ability?
What if this book gave me an answer?

Curiosity got the better of me as I opened the History of Galiasis: The Four Gates Union to its first page.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Readers!

Sorry for the delay; I actually would’ve gotten this update out earlier if I hadn’t been deprived of electricity, all due thanks to the hurricane. Yea, I live on the east coast, southern New England to be somewhat exact so we got some minor damage in our area. XD
In fact, we don’t even have our electricity back yet. I’m actually at the skating rink, getting ready to get on for practice. Thought I would take advantage of the free Wi-Fi here…=P

Please tell me how you like/dislike/loved/hated etc…I do get better with feedback. I know this was a wee bit shorter than the other updates, perhaps a bit rushed, and quite uneventful, but I thought it was better than nothing. I’m due back in school in less than a week so…wish me luck!
So leave me a comment, and in the mean time I will work to get back to you with the next update!