Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 3: The Union Rebel

She had on the same training gear as us, signing that she was the same rank. I couldn't see much of her except for her platinum blond hair that would've stood out anywhere.

"Vardavit!" she hissed again, her voice tight.

I tossed my book to Sarvwen and jogged over to right under her.
"Hey, let go." I called in a hushed voice.
The girl strained to look over her shoulder.
"And fall on my neck?" she hissed incredulously. "Are you out of your mind?"
"Trust me; I'll catch you," I reassured her.

Suddenly, my mind went into a freeze, stunned by my simple words.
What was this, deja vu?

The girl let out a short humorless laugh.
"What makes you think I trust you?" she scoffed.
I forced myself out of my thoughts and answered.
"Well, it's either that or you wait for the patrons to find you... who are probably on the way over here now," I said lightly.
The girl hesitated, and winced as she struggled to keep her grip on the bookshelf ledge.
"I...uh..." she stuttered.
"Well?" I pushed. "We're running out of time."
The girl swore again under her breath.
"You drop me and you're dead." she growled.
"If I drop you, you'll be dead first so come on," I said, amused.

The girl breathed out slowly, not moving. She took one glance down at me. I held my arms out to show that I was ready to catch her.
The girl held her breath, squeezed her eyes and let go of the shelf.

The fall was short but graceful. The girl fell back, her blond hair flowing fluidly and untamed. Her body was relaxed as if she was floating in the air, completely at ease. I felt her land in her arms with almost no force. She was petite and small, very light. I barely budged on contact, only bending my knees a little to allow her some comfort. Her hair fanned over her face, completely blinding her.
"Ugh," she grunted, shaking her head. "Lucky catch."
I rolled my eyes as she struggled to pull her hair out of her eyes.
"Lucky? I could have pulled this off with my eyes closed." I said, looking down at her in my arms.
A pair of striking gray eyes stared back at me, shameless in its straight forward gaze. I stared back, unable to do anything else. This girl was very pretty; angelic and doll-like in appearance. Her skin was like porcelain, pale and smooth with the faintest color of blush on her cheeks.
The girl studied me closely, her brows scrunching together in concentration.
"...You..." she murmured slowly. A surprised, shocked look flashed across her face.

Oh... of course. She must've recognized me; the super-skilled, super handsome 'Slayer Prince'. The lady charmer...ugh, it makes me sick.
"You... you're---"
"Zavius, aka, your Slayer Prince, at your service." I said lightly, forcing a smirk.
Well, if people saw me as this high, royal figure, what the hell? Why not have fun with it?
"Didn't this turn out to be an interesting---"

"I don't like you," the girl said flatly, in an appalled tone.

Her words caught me off-guard, not exactly comprehending.
"What?" I said, laughing uneasily.
"I don't like you," she repeated.

I looked at Sarvwen, who already had piled the fallen books neatly in one pile. He gave me a surprised, amazed look. I turned back to the girl.
"We don't even know each other; what reasons do you have to hate me?" I demanded.
The girl laughed quietly and coolly.
"I've heard stories of you. 'Slayer Prince,'" she mocked. "The charming, arrogant, dark and handsome heart-breaker. You're a royal ass."

I was taken aback at her direct, straight-forward and unapologetic tone. Who the hell did she think she was?
"Hey, this ass saved your ass, missy," I reminded her.
A horrified look flashed across her face before she regained her control.
"I didn't ask for any help and frankly, I don't think you should've bothered," she retorted defiantly.
I raised an eyebrow at her in an amused look.
"Oh really? Then why are you still clinging onto my jacket?" I jabbed.
The girl looked down at her fingers that were curled into an iron grip around my collar and immediately dropped her hand like a hot potato.
"Put me down!" she growled, kicking a little.

I heard footsteps from a few isles down, coming towards our direction. I saw Sarvwen glide over to the ladder and kick it back up to a stand.
"Alright! Just act casual for a sec," I hissed.
I dropped her legs and swung her body behind me. I still had a firm grip around her shoulders as I spun her around towards the bookshelf.
"Hey!" she protested.
I ignored her and pushed her against the shelf before settling myself into a casual pose. I placed a hand on the shelf just above the girl's head, leaning over her in an easy composure. From the corner of my eye, I saw Sarvwen flop down on the ground and grab up my book, pretending to read.
"Then how about tonight?" I said in a light volume, usually spoken outside the library.
"Excuse me?" the girl said incredulously, crossing her arms.

"...right here, I head a loud noise right here!" a squeaky-pinched voice cried.
I groaned inwardly to myself. That voice I knew all too well...

All three of us turned to the far end of the isle just as two figures rushed into view. One was garbed in a flowing light blue robe of a patron attire.
"Guardian Riza," the girl muttered in annoyance.
I glanced down at the blond curiously. How well did she know Train-wreck Riza?
Just when I was about to ask her about it, there was a loud, dramatic gasp.
"Zavius!" a whiny voice cried, pleased.
"Ugh," I muttered under my breath. The blond made a similar annoyed sound.
"Cut-throat bitch." we said in sync.

I didn't even bother to hide my annoyance when our second guest skipped forward. She, too, was wearing an under-ranking trainee uniform that matched ours. She had the front of her jacket open, showing off a sinking neckline of her already revealing top. Her loose wine red hair framed her face in flirtatious curls that bounced as she moved.

The redhead stopped and her dazzling smile froze when she saw the blond girl under my arm.
Ah, if looks could kill...

"Zavius, who's she?" the redhead asked, miserably failing to hide the murderous edge in her voice.
I scowled and sighed tiredly.
"How do you know I'm not Zarda?" I asked, not really caring for an answer from her.
The redhead tossed her hair and placed her hands delicately on her hips.
"I know Zarda. He's kind, soft and shy, so he doesn't really go out and...socialize with... others." she said as-matter-of-fact-ly and nodded pointedly towards the blond at the word others.
I gritted my teeth angrily at her response. You'd think I know my own twin brother's personality the best out of anybody else...
Well, I wasn't going to lose this game, not to her, anyways.

I forced a smile on my face and turned back to the blond.
"So, what do you say to my offer?" I asked smoothly.
I was satisfied with the light casual and flirting tone of my question.
From the corner of my eye, I saw the redhead's head turn to the blond in a snap, adding to my satisfaction.
"What are you doing with her?" she demanded.
Oh, she knows this girl now? What the hell, I can't keep up with this dumb---

"If you don't mind, we were in the middle of comparing schedules for the evening, Taeri." the blond suddenly said, her voice clear and completely at ease.
I was surprised, mixed thoughts going through my head.
Oh cool, she's playing along... Taeri... was that her name?
I turned an amused look to Taeri. Her expression was priceless.
"What? I do mind, actually," she snapped angrily.
I was about to retort about how she had no business minding but the blond cut in again.
"Oh sorry; in all actuality I really couldn't give a damn if you do or not." she said coolly.

Her next move surprised me even further; she lifted her back off of the bookshelf and closed the space between our bodies.
"Oops," she said brightly, boldly putting a hand on my waist.

Taeri's face was matching her hair in color. If I wasn't busy trying to piss her off I would've laughed out loud right in her face. Instead, I just settled with a big fat grin on my face and draped an lazy arm across the blond's shoulder.
"So that's a yes?" I asked, keeping my eyes trained on the blond.
The blond gave me a dazzling smile that could've fooled me.

Taeri let out a sharp infuriated cry and took a step towards us. Her eyes were stabbing daggers at the blond.
"You," she snarled, her posture starting to lean forward offensively.

"Enough."

We all froze as Guardian Riza glided forward, her composure all authority.
"Miss Mivian, would you care to explain what is going on?" she asked politely, her tone demanding an answer.
Sarvwen looked up from my book and stared at the blond in sudden alarm.
Mivian? As in...

The blond shifted a bit under my arm, turning towards the patron.
"Not really," she said flatly.
Guardian Riza's eyes flashed dangerously.
"Miss Mivian, have you forgotten the purpose behind your sentencing here to the Hall of Knowledge? Shall I give you a reminder?"
The blond, Mivian, scowled and shook her head.
"Sentencing, damn..." she muttered to herself before answering.
"No need, I already finished what I had to do."
Guardian Riza's expression grew darker.
"The tasks given to you were for disciplinary purposes, which you have brought upon yourself. I would think that Sir Elder Ravador would be intrigued to know why you have friends and companions visiting during your hour of---"
"What? Self-reflection? Riza, Riza, Riza," Mivian laughed, cutting the patron off mid-lecture. "I feel bad for caving that kid's face in, I truly do."
She pouted, adding to her sarcastic tone.
The patron stiffened, her face freezing into a composed mask.
"Shall I send another report to the Sir Elder?" she threatened.
The blond scowled.
"What's another bad note?" she growled, put out.

We weren't getting anywhere, and won't get anywhere if we keep this up.
I stepped forward, smiling warmly at Guardian Riza.
"Sorry, madam. Mivian didn't know we were coming here; I came looking for her." I said apologetically. "So if any reports should be sent in, it should be on me."
Guardian Riza looked at me with a surprised look.
"Mister Zavius, you know Miss Mivian?" she asked, as if the news startled her.
I chuckled under my breath, feigning pleasant disbelief.
"Know? Madam, I know her very well. We're quite close, her and I," I said brightly, pulling Mivian closer to add to the effect.

Taeri's jaw dropped open as her eyes snapped from me to the blond.
"Sarvwen? Is this a joke?" she demanded in a whiny voice.
She rushed over to where Sarvwen sat and grabbed onto his arm as she fell into a dramatic kneel right beside him.
"It has to be a joke!"
Sarvwen looked down at her a bit coldly but gently pried her fingers off his arm.
"You heard him," he said, and returned back to his 'reading.'
Taeri took a step back from him, a horrified look on her face. The Guardian regarded us skeptically. She turned to Mivian.
"Is it true?" she asked.
Mivian leaned her head against my chest and smiled wickedly at Taeri.
"You heard him ask me about tonight," she said coolly.
"What about the loud sound Miss Taeri heard?"
Mivian frowned and cocked her head innocently to the side.
"What noise? We weren't fooling around that much, this is a public place after all," she said, shrugging.
Taeri was practically purple with rage. I enjoyed every minute of it. And this Mivian, well, she did the job better than I did!

Guardian Riza seemed to consider.
"Well, it seems like nothing is out of place. I suppose you're all free to go." she said, looking stern.
Taeri's eyes bugged out of her head a little.
"What?!" she shrieked, receiving a dark glare from the patron.
"Quiet, Miss Taeri. Remember where you are." she scolded coldly.
"Madame, it's obvious they're making this all up; Zavius wouldn't." Taeri argued.
The patron raised an eyebrow at her desperate tone.
"The soul spoke of it for himself! Now, I have many things to do and they do not include babysitting or catching a lie. Come Miss Taeri; we have much more to cover."

With that, Guardian Riza turned on her heels and glided away swiftly.
Taeri stared after her, her mouth hanging open in disbelief. Then she turned to the blond.
"This isn't over, I'm not finished with you, Mivian," she snarled, venom in her voice.
Mivian scoffed, shaking her head tiredly.
"I don't recall requesting to start anything with a whore." she returned icily.
Taeri's eyes narrowed into slits before she twisted away and marched off.

We held still for a while longer, the weird tension in the air slowly thinning. After I was sure Taeri wasn't making a comeback, I relaxed.
"Well, that was fun while it lasted." I breathed out.
Mivian didn't say anything. She silently shifted out from under my arm, her face blank and expressionless.
And then she punched me in the stomach.
"OOMPH!!"
Surprise and disbelief shot through me as a whole fistful of air was punched right out of me. I doubled over; the force of her punch was unbelievable.
"What the hell?" I gasped out, cringing in pain.
The blond shook out her hand, looking very nonchalant about it.
"Sorry, I'm not exactly one with a lovey-dovey character." she said, not sounding sorry at all. "I had to get this sticky mood and feeling out of my system somehow."
"So you punch me?" I demanded, my voice still raspy. I tried to stand upright, my muscles tight in pain.
The blond shrugged, not caring.

Sarvwen got up and came over to where we were. He patted my back comfortingly. The pain vanished instantly at his touch.
"So...you're Mivian." he said casually, studying the girl.
The blond glanced at Sarvwen with a bored expression.
"Yea? What's it to you?" she returned.
Sarvwen mused to himself thoughtfully.
"I don't like you." he said simply.
A surprised look flashed across the blond's face.
"What?"
"I don't like you." Sarvwen repeated, shrugging.
"Sarvwen, what the..." I muttered, confused and feeling a bit uneasy.
I saw the blond's expression harden like ice.
"You don't know me." she said flatly.
Sarvwen scoffed, shaking his head.
"I've heard stories of 'the Rebel' of the Union. Loud, rebellious, temperamental and cold rule-breaker. You're a bad-ass." he said, reflecting her twisted words right back at her.
The blond's expression was unreadable. She avoided Sarvwen's stone-steady gaze.
"Who the hell do you think you are?" she muttered. "You know nothing of me."

Sarvwen studied her in the cold distant attitude he was holding.
Then, suddenly he smiles, breaking his icy act.
"Exactly my point." he said, his tone surprisingly warm.
The blond did a double-take at Sarvwen, looking confused.
"What?" she said.
Sarvwen laughed quietly to himself at her dumbfound expression.
"I'm sorry; I take back every single word I have just said to you." he said sincerely. "I just wanted to make a point to you."
"A point?" she echoed.

Sarvwen smiled and explained.
"You and Zavius are similar in some ways. Both of you have landed a place in the Union with your own little nicknames and titles, whether you like them or not." he said. "Zavius has his 'Slayer Prince' reputation that follows him everywhere, and you as the 'Union Rebel' are in a similar spotlight."
I gave a sideway glance at the blond, and she gave me a reluctant look back. Sarvwen continued.
"Both of you must've heard what others say about yourselves, and the stories that come up, true or no."
"Again, what are you getting at?" I asked, though I kinda got the drift.
Sarvwen ignored me.
"So Mivian, I'll give it to you that Zavius's rep might give you an image of an adored ass, but don't let those stories tell you who he is. Give him a chance, please?" he pleaded playfully. He gave her a small smile.

The blond had the most surprised look on her face. She blinked, studying Sarvwen closely.
"Sarvwen, was it?" she questioned.
Sarvwen nodded once in confirmation. The girl sighed.
"I had an impression that you were supposed to be the cold, quiet and distant one." she said. "I guess I heard wrong."
She shifted her body so she face both of us. She hesitated.
"I'm not very good at these kind of things," she muttered uncomfortably, fidgeting a little. "But thanks, I owe you one... and, uh... sorry."
"What was that?" I joked. The blond gave me a stabbing glare.
"I'm kidding, I'm kidding." I laughed. I offered her a hand in an open gesture.
"Hi, I'm Zavius, the royal ass." I said grinning.
The blond blinked at me, and then smiled. She took my hand and we shook.
"Hi, I'm Mivian, the rebellious bad ass."
"Oh, nice to meet you."
"Likewise."

Mivian mused to herself, deep in thought.
"Wow, what an interesting, weird day today turned out to be." she muttered.
She turned and started to walk away.
"I'll see you tonight, then." she called over her shoulder.
Wait, what?
"'Tonight'?" I echoed, confused.
Mivian stopped and turned, an amused look on her face.
"Yea, we have a date, remember?" she said, smiling her dazzling smile. "I'll tell you what you want to know on those First Ranks' rumors and crap."
"What? How did you know about that?" Sarvwen demanded.
Mivian smirked mysteriously, putting a finger to her lips.
"I have my ways." she said secretively.
She started walking again, saying nothing else.

Sarvwen and I exchanged glances. He gave me a shrug.
"Oh, wait!" I called after her. "Where will we go?"
Mivian didn't turn back as she answered.
"Oh I don't know; we'll figure something out. Just find me in the Training Grounds when you're ready. You'll probably find me beating up Taeri today," she said over her shoulder.

She gave a carefree wave of her hand and disappeared around the corner, just like that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, if you want to comment, click here!!

Subscribe if you like, and don't be afraid to give me some criticism!! (though please be nice to me...XD)

~K