Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 6: The Beginning

Girls. Girls. Girls.

They are all the same. Shallow, selfish and fake. And they could be the most violent things out there. Vicious.
And I made it a game to break them all.

There are many ways of winning this game. All girls have individual characteristics to them that can be the loose string to completely unravel them. The most crucial part was to choose the right one.
Oh and each of them 'unravel' in their own way. So watching their cocky attitude fall apart was a game themselves.
But there is one rule, the only rule I follow in this game of mine.

Only return the favor.

Not all deserve this treatment quite yet, I guess. I don't mess with everyone, and I don't do anything that is damaging. Ugh, that's just sick. Basically put, eye for an eye, a punch for a punch.
Just to the ones that think everything should go their way, and everything in this world belongs to them. Only those that come at me as if I'm some sort of trophy to win. Like those like Taeri. But even I won't directly mess with her. She's crazy; if I try anything with her, she'll just enjoy the attention that I'll be giving her and the loss would be mine.

Those are the ones I break; they deserved it.

"...Knock it down, Zavius. It's all yours!!"

I jolted with a start at the loud voice that came from my right. I froze, taking in my surroundings.

"Zavius!"

I saw something move in the shadows up high above my head, and I took a quick aim. The grip I had in my hand loosened, releasing the object. I felt the cutting rush of air as the arrow snapped forward from the tension of its bow. The arrow blurred through the air as it shot towards a shadow that was my target. At the very last second, the shadow shifted, the arrow just niching it. Then it disappeared.

And then, suddenly:
"Zavius, it's headed your way!"

I was just starting to turn when a dull, fizzing sensation stung into the back of my left shoulder, and swallowing up my whole body. I gasped, as the icy grip of the enemy reached my heart. I felt myself go limp, and I collapsed weakly onto the ground.
"Zavius!" someone yelled.
I heard rapid footsteps approach me and stop right before my back. I couldn't do anything as I felt a hand grab my shoulder and pulled me onto my back.

Sarvwen was staring down at me through a heavily tinted visual goggles, his concern only half-hidden. He reached up to his earpiece and spoke into the thin microphone that extended from the side of the headset device.
"Abort simulation." he commanded.

Instantly, the room brightened, and the simulation imaging faded, leaving me staring at an empty, blue-tinted goggles. The fizzing sensation left my limbs, enabling me to move again.
"Zavius, what's going on?" Sarvwen asked. "You're acting weird today."
I groaned, and forced myself up with Sarvwen's help.
"I'm just tired, that's all." I said.

"Well, let me tell you something, the Bloodkins don't care if you're tired or not, they'll kill you if you let them, like you just did... for the third time in a row." a stern voice said from behind.

Sarvwen and I turned to see a figure gliding towards us, her strides light and soundless. She was garbed in the sharp black trench coat uniform of a high-rank Slayer, her dark hair pulled back in a neat bun. Her weapon of choice--- a thin silver blade--- was strapped to her waist.
"Guardian Mjoré," we greeted in unison, bowing our heads in respect.

Guardian Mjoré raised a handed, acknowledging our greetings.
"Sarvwen, you have to be more strong behind each and every command and order you give out to your party. You're in charge, and if the charge is weak, the whole party is weak." She reprimanded.
Sarvwen nodded once, straightening his posture.
Our mentor turned her attention from Sarvwen to me.
"And you," she said. "Practice your hand at targeting skills. And Zavius, instead of running around playing with girls, get some sleep." she scolded, sounding almost exasperated.

I scowled, biting back an argument.
'I don't go playing around with girls at night, I'm not like that.'
Right, as if she'd believe me, with the reputation I put myself out with...

Guardian Mjoré took one stern glance at both of us and sighed. Then she smiled.
"Guys, you're doing a great job. You're making progress and have improved greatly since the first instructional session I put you through." she said encouragingly. "Zavius, it's just these long distance combats; these may be your only weakness."

I looked away, feeling discouraged. Guardian Mjoré reached over and gripped my shoulder.
"Look up, Zavius." she said lightly. "It's not easy but work on it. It may save your life someday."
"Thanks for putting it so nicely," I muttered.
Mjoré laughed.
"Look kid, you have the excelling skills. You're the youngest in your rank and you're one of the top. That little tidbit should speak for itself." she said.

Right as she finished talking, there was a sound of wind cutting a path through the air. Mjoré turned to see a guy with the same black trench coat uniform standing right behind her.
"Mjoré," he called, his tone grave.
Guardian Mjoré looked surprised at his sudden arrival.
"Druce," she said, acknowledging the guest.
Druce went right to business.
"Are you ready to leave?" he asked.
Guardian Mjoré's expression hardened.
"What happened?" she demanded.
Druce drew something out of his chest pocket and handed it to her.
It was a silver mission card.
"Directly from the Sir Elder. It's urgent." was all he said.

Mjoré quickly glanced at the card in her hand, skimming through the given info. I saw her eyes widen.
"Assignment received and accepted." she said, and the card disintegrated in her hand.
Druce disappeared without another word, going in the same fashion as he came. Mjoré turned back to us, her expression serious.
"Sorry, but I have to go. Urgent business to tend to." she said.
And with that, she disappeared too.

Sarvwen and I didn't move, not knowing what to do.
"What was that all about?" Sarvwen wondered out loud.
I shrugged.
"She said it was urgent, and he said something about Ravador," I noted.
Sarvwen sighed, pulling the goggles and the earpiece off.
"Well, I guess we're done for today." he said. "Go get some sleep."
I snorted.
"As if I could sleep right now." I muttered.
I pulled my goggles off too and made my way out of the training simulation room.
"Hey!" Sarvwen called after me.
He trotted over, catching up with me.
"Where are you going?" he asked.
"If it was urgent and Ravador was involved, it's probably something big. Maybe we can ask Mivian about it; it may be something new." I concluded.
"Perhaps," Sarvwen said, shrugging. "I guess that won't hurt."

We had just stepped out of the simulation room and out into the main hallway when I heard someone running from behind us.
"Hey! You two, wait!" someone yelled.
Sarvwen and I turned to see Mivian running towards us.
"Well, well.... Speak of the devil," I muttered, surprise going through my mind.

Mivian stopped short in front of us, just slightly out of breath.
"Mivian, what's going on?" Sarvwen asked.
Mivian smirked, looking pleased with herself.
"We have some new reports." she said. "Come on, Thya's waiting."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mivian led us out of the Paramount Towers and out to the wide barrier fields that separated the Towers from the city of Stranaglastre. Thya was there waiting for us, leaning casually against the tall stone wall of the outer barrier. Her expression was unusually clouded with worry.
"Thya," Sarvwen called.
Thya looked up, coming to life from her stone-still position. She welcomed us with a small smile.
"Hey guys." she greeted.
Sarvwen regarded her with a searching gaze.
"Are you okay?" he asked her.

A surprised look flashed across her face before she looked away.
"Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?" she muttered.
I looked around, feeling a weird tension in the air.
"If there's nothing wrong with you, it's something else." I said, studying Thya. "What's going on, Thya?"

Thya looked at me, and then to her right. I followed her worried gaze. Then I looked back at her.
"What's going on at the Court of Legacy?" I demanded.
Thya was still staring at the distant peak where the four Divine Gates were located.
"Sir Elder Ravador just entered the Living through the West Gate." she murmured.
"What?" I demanded. "What for?"
Thya nervously chewed on her lip, her brows scrunching delicately in a worried expression.
"There was a confrontation with the target. The Electus team reported back to base just fifteen minutes ago." she said.
Sarvwen's attention was back on Thya.
"And? What's going on?" he urged.
"There was a battle." Mivian stated.

I felt Sarvwen bristle next to me as Mivian stepped forward and stood next to Thya.
"A battle," I echoed.
"Three elite fighters were injured, forcing the remaining two of the Electus party to retreat and hold defensive positions." Mivian continued. "Ravador went into the Living leading the backup Electus team with two Healers, plus his two escorts."
"Mjoré and Druce." Sarvwen said.
Mivian looked surprised.
"You knew?" she asked.
"No, Mjoré is our mentor for battlefield strategies." I explained. "She was called out by Druce during one of our simulation drills, and Druce is usually her mission partner."

Mivian seemed to be satisfied with the answer and said nothing of it. Instead, she turned to Thya and punched her playfully on the arm.
"Oh come on, Thya! Stop worrying about that old geezer! He's centuries old, but that means nothing but more experience when it comes to us Immortals." she said, trying to sound cheerful. "He's all white-haired and all, but not all pruney, creaky and cranky...well---"
"Mivian, three of the Electus were nearly killed. Electus, the best Slayers this Union has! And single-handedly, this thing reduced the team down to its desperate defenses!" Thya demanded.

Thya's expression had an unusual glint of fear and worry, her brows scrunching and her eyes unfocused. I didn't like it; it put the air in such a weird vibe.
I stepped forward and reached down to her forehead. I brushed my index finger against her brow and gave her a sharp flick. Thya flinched.
"Snap out of it, Thya. Sir Elder is smart, and he was once the best Slayer the Four Gates Union had. On top of that, he took with him a whole squad of fighters and his two escorts." I said. "And believe me, Mjoré kicks ass."

Then her words struck home.

"Wait, did you say 'single-handedly, this thing'?" I demanded, disbelieving.
Thya sighed and looked troubled.
"There's only one target, and it wasn't a werewolf or a vampyre. In fact, the target doesn't have a Flame at all." she said.
"So it's not a Bloodkin... so, what is it?" I pressed.
Mivian and Thya exchanged glances, not answering.
"Is it one of us, then? An Immortal?"
"We don't know, Zavius." Thya said.
Mivian was studying me with a weird look.
"Zavius, we knew--- okay, well, we assumed that the enemy was a lone target. Why are you so surprised at the fact now?" she asked.
I frowned, realizing the fact just now.
"Well, when I heard that three Elites were injured, I just thought they were having so much trouble because they were outnumbered or something." I said.
"No, only one enemy." Thya said.
"Was it a giant?" I jabbed. "Like a Gigas?"
Thya shook her head miserably.
"I don't know, Zavius! I know close to nothing about the target." she snapped.
Thya breathed out frustratedly and closed her eyes, her nose pinched. She really looked like she was going to cry--- why was she so worked up?

Sarvwen approached her then, studying Thya. He didn't look very happy; he, too, looked troubled with something. He reached his hand over and gently smoothed out the worry lines on her brow.
"Worrying at times like this is not going to do anything but tire you out," he said, not smiling. "So stop thinking so hard about it or these wrinkles are going to be permanent."
Thya blinked, her eyes widening in surprise. Then she scoffed and grabbed his wrist, holding his hand away from her face.
"That's not possible, idiot." she said flatly.
She muttered something that sounded like '...wrinkles, really,' and gave Sarvwen a snappy glare.
"Who and what I worry about is none of your concern. So don't worry your little head about that." she retorted.
Sarvwen blinked blankly and scowled.
"Who said anything about me being worried?" he shot back, yanking his hand out of her grip. "You're the one that's all set and ready to perform the Descending Ritual for Chief Elder Ravador!"
"Ha!" Thya barked, anger flaring color to her cheek. "The only thing that should be descending is---"

So suddenly, the pressure in the air dropped down on our shoulders. It was as if the sky was falling.
"Someone has entered from the Living." Mivian muttered, gazing towards the peak of Court of Legacy.
And then, as if on perfect timing, Mjoré and Druce appeared, both heavily out of breath. Mjoré was supporting one, black-clad figure, and Druce was carrying two. I immediately recognized the Electus uniform on the three figures.
Mjoré turned her head and her sweeping gaze caught us.
"Mivian!" she barked.
Mivian skipped forward and helped her slowly lower the injured Electus on the barrier field ground.
"I did as Ravador requested; the Infirmary is sending a special medical unit over for three, and has a floor cleared for their care." she reported to Mjoré.
Druce, too, placed his two Elites down and checked their Energy Pulse with a swift pass of his hand over their sternum.
"So where are they?" he demanded, very agitated.
"They should be here soon." Mivian reassured.

Right as she finished, the air was suddenly filled with many presences.
"Clear the way!"
"You, check their vitals!"
"One female, two males..."
"Keep them covered!"

Many voices and orders were shouted over another, throwing the whole vibe in a frenzy. Just like that, the silence was completely gone, swallowed up in the growing chaos.
I saw Mivian drift back and away from the crowd of working Healers, gliding back towards up. Mjoré followed.
"Mjoré," I greeted.
Mjoré looked absolutely drained.
"That's Guardian Mjoré to you," she scolded, though her tone was only half-hearted.
Thya trotted over, approaching her.
"Guardian Mjoré, where is the Chief Elder?" she asked.
"Still in the Living, of course." Mjoré responded. "Fighting with his Slayers."
"Without his escorts?" Thya cried out incredulously.
Mjoré's eyes hardened a bit at Thya's tone.
"It was Sir Elder's very order for us to return back with the injured without him. Chief Elder is strong, and I will believe in his strength that he's alright." she said. "He has a full party of Electus ranks plus the two uninjured Elites of the originally set cell accompanying him."
Thya looked away, her expression frustrated.
"The target... what is it?" she asked in a tight voice.

Mjoré looked uncomfortable with the question.
"That... I'm afraid I---"
Druce appeared behind her and put a hand on her shoulder.
"They're moving the three up to the Infirmary. They're stable now; nothing that'll threaten their life." he informed her. "Lucky, the thing missed all of their vitals."
Mjoré gave him a tired, relieved smile and turned back to us.
"Chief Elder Ravador will be fine. He is due back soon," she said, not answering Thya.

But of course, Thya wasn't backing down that easily.

"Guardian Mjoré," Thya repeated, catching the Slayer's arm as she turned away.
"Thya, enough." Sarvwen warned. "She's right, Sir Elder will be---"
"I saw their status report," Thya said, raising her voice.
Both Mjoré and Druce stopped and turned to look at her in a snappy move.
They did not look happy.
"Thya," I said, grabbing her shoulder. "Give it a rest, will you?"
Thya roughly shook off my hand.
"I took an apprentice position within the Advanced Technology Research Unit." she said. "I was there at the Monitoring Center at the time the Electus engaged in battle."

I was staring at Thya, surprise and disbelief running through my head. Sarvwen was staring at her too. Apparently I wasn't the only one that hadn't heard about an actual apprenticeship.

"One target against one five-man cell of Elites. Within twenty seconds of encounter, three members were down as disabled." Thya went on, her expression clouding with a disturbed expression.
"The target... what is it?"

Mjoré's eyes were wide as if in shock at what she was hearing. She turned to Druce, who was wearing a dark look.
"Who allowed you such outrageous apprenticeship? You're still a minor rank!" he demanded.
"Answer my question and I may answer yours." Thya returned, her tone sounding very cold and steely.
Druce took an angry step forward. Sarvwen glanced worriedly at Thya but held his ground.

It was Mjoré who reached out and grasped Druce's arm, stopping him short.
"Druce," she warned, before turning her gaze on us.
"You really shouldn't be here, but my guess is that you don't really care much about the should and shouldn't, especially with what you must've heard in the rumors lately." she said, eyeing the each of us in a steady stern gaze.
Mivian, Thya, Sarvwen and I all exchanged looks. What was Mjoré going to do?

Mjoré gave a short sigh, shaking her head.
"Oh, what's the point? Knowing you, especially Mivian and Zavius, you two will definitely find a way to get what you want." she muttered.
Druce grunted, looking a bit irritated but resigned.
"So the rumors, they're true?" I asked.

Mjoré considered the question, or at least she seemed to. She turned her head towards the peak of Court of Legacy.
"You'll find out soon enough." she murmured.

Then, as if on cue, the sky above the peak broke out in an eerie streak of bright colors. And almost immediately, I felt my body go rigid.
Except this time, it felt as if I was being crushed by a even greater power, as if the air was pushing heavier against my skin.
"Just wait till they actually get down here." I heard Druce mutter.

"This is only the beginning."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, another REALLY long chapter~!

Please, if you want to comment, click here!!
Do tell me how you like; I want to see how well (or the opposite) I'm doing with this one!!

Subscribe if you like, and don't be afraid to give me some criticism!! (though please be nice to me...XD)

~K