‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

Speeding Cars

9.30pm. We were already late.

The entire football team, girlfriends included, were having a huge gathering at the biggest nightclub in Oxford and as usual, we were running late. Nick was pouting about missing a James Bond movie marathon on tv which I didn’t entirely get considering we had the box set. But as a result, he was moving at the pace of disabled snail.

“Babe, we were meant to have been there by now.” I complained before taking a gulp of water, Nick holding me close to his chest.

“How about we just sit this one out?” He suggested for about the tenth time before nestling his face into my neck.

I groaned and turned in his arms, pushing his chest. “No, you’re always so anti-social.” I laughed.

“I am not.”

“Yes you are. What guy in their 20’s would rather spend their lives watching movie marathons than go out clubbing? The one’s still living in their parents basement; that’s who.”

“Don’t pretend you don’t like our movie marathons in bed.” He grinned, scooping me into his chest again. “Both with and without clothing.” He lowered his voice as he spoke.

“Jesus, Nick.” I laughed again, pushing him away. “Go and get changed.” I pointed to the corridor leading to the bedrooms. He groaned and turned away, giving me the opportunity to hit his butt as he walked away.

“Cheeky bugger.” He muttered, vanishing from my sight.

I picked up my phone to see a text from Mandy, Matt’s girlfriend. Her and Matt had met during their first year of university and had instantly fallen in love despite their differences. He was a New York City boy whereas she came from a tiny town in southern Texas. She was one of the most down to earth people I had ever met and a far cry from the false bimbos the other football players were with.

She’d never been able to hold conversation with any of the other women since they didn’t stretch beyond plastic surgery and sex. Needless to say, we instantly became close.

‘Where are you guys??’

I quickly typed out a response, saying we’d be leaving in 5 minutes though I was sure Nicholas had other plans. I carried my phone through to our bedroom, expecting to see Nick half changed.

I sighed when I noticed he was just in his boxers, scratching Bella’s head as she sat perched on the bed.

“Nick.” I let out another sigh, walking towards him.

“I can’t be bothered to go.” Nick pouted, lying down on the huge bed.

“Oh no you don’t. Don’t you dare lie down, because I know you will never get up.” I said, walking to the bed and standing with my hands on hips. A smile broke through as Nick gripped my hips and pulled me on top of him, a grin on his handsome face. “You have missed all of the other parties since we got back and you need to go to one.”

“You should be my manager.” Nick grinned, kissing my neck as an attempt to distract me.

“Up. Come on up, we’re going and there is nothing you can do about it.” I said and Nick shook his head, raising an eyebrow like a child. Fine, time to play dirty.

“Babe.” I whispered, sliding my body up over his, smiling as he tried to fight his moan. “The sooner we go, the sooner we can come home.” I whispered into his ear, rolling my tongue slowly around it. He squeezed my hips and lifted me off the bed with him.

“What are we waiting for then?” He smirked.



“We thought you weren’t going to make it.” Josh, his team mate yelled over the music, hugging us both.

“Is everyone else already here?” Nick yelled back, his arms tightly around my front as he held my back to his chest, allowing him to rest his chin on my head.

“Yeah. Grab yourselves a drink and we’re just over there.” He pointed to the VIP box before vanishing into the crowd. Nick held me tightly as we walked to the bar.

“What do you want?”

“Vodka and coke. I don’t want anything too strong, I’ve got things to do tomorrow.” I smiled.

He nodded and ordered my drink as well as a beer for himself. I’d slowly changed his mentality of alcohol that had been completely damaged since prom. It was fine to have the occasional drink, just don’t lose control.

We got loads of cheers as we entered the VIP box, everyone greeting us and being overly nice. There was a spare spot in the corner of the box which Nick spotted and led me over to. Nick sat down and laid my legs over his, both of us smiling at each other.

Before dating Nick again I’d never been in the VIP sections of clubs but it was certainly nice being able to sit down without fearing your handbag would be stolen. You could also see the relief for all of the guys at having an area to escape to.

I loved just relaxing in Nick’s arms, hearing his laughter as he spoke to some of his friends. His laughter was one of my favourite sounds.

A few left for the dance floor but Nick and I stayed as we were. Nick nudged my leg and guided me over until I was straddling him.

“Are you having a good time?” I asked, smiling down at him and stroking his cheek.

He shrugged and smoothed his hands down my back. “I’m glad you’re here.” He smiled softly, winding his fingers through my hair.

“You’re so beautiful.” He said, resting his forehead on mine.

I blushed and looked away from his eyes but soon enough his hand was on my chin, bringing my gaze back to his; a grin on his face. “Why do you still blush when I call you beautiful?” He chuckled.

“Any girl would blush when a handsome man calls her beautiful.” I said shyly and he chuckled again.

Nick guided my lips to his and we ended up kissing for a while, thankful we were sat in a dark corner where our PDA wasn’t so evident and that most people were on the dance floor, away from us.

“Guys, you can do that at home.” Matt laughed, causing us to break apart.

Mandy came up behind him and smiled brightly when she saw me. I stood from Nick’s lap and hugged her whilst Nick did the same to Matt.

“Thank God you’re here. I can’t stand the other women.” She said into my ear. “If I hear one more person ask if my breasts are real I will scream.”

“They’re just jealous that yours are natural and didn’t cost thousands.” I smiled, pulling back and taking her hand to seat us between our men.

“So, what took you guys so long?” Matt asked.

I rolled my eyes and nodded my head at Nick. “As always.” I commented, causing both of them to chuckle.

“I’ll be honest...I couldn’t be arsed to come.”

“Nick! You’re not meant to admit to that.” I laughed, looking up into his eyes.

“It’s Matt, his opinion means jack.” Nick joked, causing Matt to punch his shoulder and laugh.

I placed my hand on Nick’s thigh which he covered with his own much larger hand, gently stroking my fingers with his.

“You boys hitting the dance floor?” Mandy asked and both of them complained about how packed it was down there. Wimps. “Looks like it’s just us then.” Mandy grinned, grabbing my hand as we headed down to the dance floor which was pretty much like a can of sardines; packed.

...

Nick POV

“Dude, you don’t know how much Mandy loves Charlene being around. It was so hard for her before at any group events because she just doesn’t have anything in common with the other girls.”

“Why? Because she has class?”

Matt laughed and nodded. “Pretty much.”

“Charlene’s the same. She knew about the type of women football players dated so wasn’t exactly thrilled about mingling with them all. I mean they all like and talk to her; she just finds conversation very limited.” I laughed, remember the conversations I’d about about the women with Charlene in the past.

“I can count their IQ points on one hand.” Was her most recent comment.

“So, have you told her about your offer from the Saints yet?” Matt asked, referring to the new deal the top football club had placed on the table. For the past 3 years they had tried to get me to move to their club but the Giants was like a family to me. But the new offer was something I had been seriously considering. Sure, the money was one of the highest in NFL history, but to be able to play for a new club, play alongside new guys and pick up new material; it was certainly something I had been contemplating.

“No, not yet. I need to figure out exactly what it is that I want from a football club before I involve her, otherwise her head will be thrown all over the place.” I sighed.

“I know all of the guys on the squad say to put yourself first since this is your career. But they don’t have a relationship like you do with Charlene. Let’s be honest, in their relationships they are number one but you and Charlene are your own little team. You know you won’t be able to go through anything without her support because you need her bud, and she needs you. You need to lay it all down for her, explain what you’re thinking, what you’re feeling, and make her understand why.”

“Is that what you did when you moved to the Giants?” I asked, scratching my face with confusion.

“Yep and she was great. We shared both of our sides and came to the agreement that if we moved to New York, it would have to be for a minimum of 3 seasons so we weren’t both pulled away from the lives we’d made there.”

“But we haven’t even discussed what’s happening after she receives her masters degree. Heck, we don’t even know what country we’re going to live in.”

“Well it will be the US.” He shrugged as if it were simple. “You won’t get any work over here.”

“See, that’s another thing. It’s a big ask as it is to convince Charlene to move away, but for me to then take her to a brand new place where she knows nothing and no one? But at the same time, I need to consider what will be best for my career.” I groaned, cursing and taking a drink.

“A balance is almost impossible to find, but you will. I have faith in both of you.”

“Thanks.” I smiled weakly, my mind churning a million miles an hour.

“Despite all of the bumps in the road, you guys came back together and I know neither of you want to be without one another again, so you’ll work through this. Trust me.”

“Dude, you should be my psychiatrist.” I laughed, patting his shoulder.

“I’m too expensive for you.” He smirked, stretching out and finishing off his drink.

We fell into a conversation about all of the new football fixtures for a while before Matt went quiet as two of the new Giants players by us stood and left for the floor; his voice lowering as they did.

“You need to watch out for them.” He warned. “Both them and the other two new guys. They’re fresh so don’t yet have the loyalty to the club or the other players like the rest of us do. Tommy Gordon, the tall blonde one, is known for moving each season and getting with a few of the players girls during the process.”

“Why are you telling me this? And how the hell do you find out so much stuff?” I chuckled though his expression was far from amused.

“All of the guys have been talking about. Those new guys all have one track minds, Nick.”

“Expand.” I said before taking a chug of my beer.

“When Charlene walked up here, ‘sex on legs’ was pretty much the phrase chucked around by all of the fresh meat.”

I shot my eyes up at him, feeling my blood boiling as I gripped my beer bottle tightly.

“You know all of the guys here think she’s hot, but they would never go there because of the loyalty they have to you and they know she wouldn’t so much as look at anyone but you. I’m telling you this because the new guys are trouble. Max is alright, but the rest are assholes.” He leant back in his seat and drank from his bottle. “Just watch your back; I know I am.”

My jaw tightened and I took several huge swallows of my beer before slamming it back onto the table and standing to look over the balcony at the crowd below. Matt stood beside me and pointed at Charlene and Mandy. Sure enough, the guys who were previously sat next to us were right beside them.

“Fuckers.” I spat, pushing off the balcony and heading down the stairs towards the dance floor, knowing Matt wouldn’t be far behind. I easily manoeuvred my way through the crowd, keeping my eyes fixed on Charlene. Just as I reached her, one of the new guys came up behind her and was dancing far too close for my liking. With one hand I pushed him aside and wrapped my arms around Charlene from behind, cutting my eyes at him.

Charlene moulded her body against mine like she always did and reached up behind to stroke my face, craning her neck to gaze into my eyes.

“Hey baby.” She smiled, leaning upwards to kiss my lips before turning her gaze forward again, keeping her arm around my neck.

I glared over at the guy again, making it all too clear what I would do to him if he so much as thought of dancing with Charlene. I noticed Matt too was dancing with Mandy, a smile on his face as she wound her fingers in his hair. I pulled Charlene’s hips closer, pressing a kiss to her neck as we slowly began to grind.

“I love you.” I said into her ear, hoping she could hear me. She pulled my head lower and kissed my ear delicately before replying, “I love you too.”

I slid my hands to her thighs as she began to grind her behind into me, arousing me more than I would have liked. I smirked and slid my hands up her thighs, responding by pressing my lower half against her and circling my hips. She spun around to face me and instantly wrapped her arms around my neck, bringing my forehead down to rest on hers as we continued to grind on one another just like most other people in the club. We held eye contact as our bodies remained close, both of us silently teasing each other.

Why does she enjoy always torturing me?

I took in her appearance, smiling at how beautiful she truly was. She could have any guy in the bar but I was the only one she was looking at. The only one she was interested in and I could not be any more grateful to her than I already was. She wanted me. She loved me. And that was the only thing that could always make me smile, despite how shit my day might be.

She leant upwards whilst again pulling me closer to speak surprisingly softly into my ear. “You’ll always be my Nicky; always.”

Only she would whisper deep, sweet words into my ear whilst grinding on me in a less than innocent way. She’d always had an odd way of doing things.

I grinned and kissed her lips, sucking her bottom lip into my mouth as she latched onto my top one. I squeezed her butt and pushed her into me, sliding my tongue into her mouth which she greeted warmly. Her touch on my neck was surprisingly soft as she gently toyed with some of the bottom curls, tangling them around her fingers.

When the song finished she pulled back with a smile on her face. I returned the smile and moved my hands upwards to wrap my arms around her lower back. She kept her arms around my neck but lay her head on my chest; no doubt feeling my heart beat against her cheek.

Soon. I was going to tell her about the Saints soon. I just needed to find the right time and pray she would understand why I kept it from her for so long.

...

Charlene POV

I stirred late the next morning, opening my eyes to reveal a deserted bed and bedroom. I climbed from the bed and slipped into a hoody, shoving my hair up into a bun.

Bella lay curled up in a ball in the corner of the couch, sleeping peacefully as the morning sun fell over her from outside. I noticed the door to the study was open and smiled when I saw the back of Nick as he sat at the large oak desk in the corner, browsing the internet. Creeping in behind him, I quietly entered the room, picking up on the fact that he was looking at houses.

He jumped as I wrapped my arms around his neck, his fingers frantically closing the window on his laptop.

“Good morning.” I mumbled into his neck, pressing soft kisses there.

“You scared the life out of me.”

“Evidently.” I muttered, picking up his slightly shaking hand. He pushed back his chair and pulled me down onto his lap, readjusting my arms back around his neck. “Why are you up so early?”

“Charlene, it’s eleven am.” He laughed, smoothing his hands down my back. “I was up at nine and went for a run around the park with Bella.”

“You’ve worn her out.” I smiled, tangling my fingers in his hair.

“She’s got a lot of energy for such a little dog.” He chuckled, gazing up at me and stroking my hair.

“Can I just check my emails?” I asked, bringing up the closed window he’d so frantically hidden.

He moved again to try to stop me but let out a sigh when he failed. “Charlene, you shouldn’t just invade people’s privacy like that.”

I scoffed whilst opening a new tab to check my emails, knowing he was hiding something. One of the many emails was from my university with the date of my graduation. “July 3rd. Will you be able to come?” I asked, linking one arm back around his neck.

“I’ll make sure I can.”

I smiled and looked through the rest of my emails and then closed the tab, seeing a whole page of properties around the New Orleans area.

“Wow, these look like pretty houses.” I commented, realising many of them were on the waterfront. "How far is New Orleans from the beach?"

So, so."

"I loved growing up on the coast.”

“I’m sure the sea there is much warmer than the ones in England.” He laughed and there was no way of disagreeing with that.

“Why are you looking at these, baby?”

When he didn’t answer I looked down to see him staring up at me. “Nick?”

“I’ve had an offer from the New Orleans Saints.”

My nose crinkled. “What’s that?”

He laughed silently and tightened his grip on me. “It’s the top football team in NFL at the moment. They’re the one’s that we came in second to in the last super bowl.”

“Oh...” I cleared my throat and looked back at him. “Haven’t they made offers for you in the past?”

“Yeah, but I’ve spent coming up to four years at the Giants now. The Saints have offered me an amazing deal; one of the highest in NFL history. It’s a beautiful city as well, Charlene. I think you’d love it there.”

“How long have you known about the offer?”

“About three weeks.”

“Three weeks?” I whispered, pulling my hand back into my chest. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“Because I needed to decide what I wanted before I got you involved. There would be no logic in involving you whilst I didn’t know what I really wanted and needed from a football club.”

“So, you were going to tell me once your mind was already made up?”

“No, that’s not what I meant.”

“Well that’s what it sure sounds like.”

He kept his grip on me and smoothed his thumbs over my hip bones, sighing to himself.

“New Orleans is in Louisiana right?” I asked and he nodded. “Right at the very bottom of America?” He nodded.

“Are you going to take up the offer?”

He looked back up at me and looked so confused. “We need to figure out us before I do anything.”

I ran my fingers through my hair and shook my head as I took it all in.

“What are you thinking?” He asked softly.

“I’m thinking...I’m thinking I really need a starbucks right now.” I said, unhooking his hands and standing.

“No, Charlene. We need to talk about this.”

“I know. I’m just going to grab one from the starbucks around the corner and bring it back here. I just need to get a little bit of fresh air.”

He sighed and dropped his hands to his sides. “Fine.”

I showered and got changed quickly, walking back into the living room to see Bella still sleeping soundly. I heard Nick on the phone in the study and it sounded like he was discussing the deal with his manager. I walked into the study and over to him, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek and leaving quickly so I didn’t interrupt his phone call.

I took a slow and leisurely stroll around the beautiful park Nick’s apartment looked over, noticing a young teenage couple walking past that reminded me of Nick and I during our high school years. Their hands tightly intertwined, both wearing soppy smiles as he whispered something into her ear.

It wasn’t so much the idea of moving that hurt so much, it was more that he had hidden it from me. For as long as I’d known Nick, this was a habit of his. Rather than openly discussing such things with me he’d always keep them private until I’d uncover them. I did understand why he’d needed time to work things out, truly I did, but relationships are a partnership, sharing everything together, and it sometimes seemed like Nick felt the need to do everything himself.

Heading out of the park, I glanced behind me at our apartment in the distance, knowing it probably would not be ours for much longer. The apartment I had grown to call home. It our little hide away from the world; me, Nick and Bella; the family.

I was so relieved at how quiet starbucks was once I stepped inside, the morning rush having already been. I ordered for both myself and Nick, just incase he was after something as well. His order was always so specific that I had to make sure the cashier was paying close attention because Nick J could always tell when they’d got it wrong. As I headed back home I passed the store Nick always went to when he needed his fix of American sports magazines and to my surprise there was one on display with Nick’s face across the cover. Darn him for being so ridiculously handsome.

Despite it’s hefty price tag I bought the magazine and smiled at the caption beneath his picture; ‘How true love changed America’s golden boy.’ I found myself blushing and wearing a soppy grin to match the teenagers, gathering a strange look from an older gentleman that passed me. I put the bag of muffins in my bag and held the carton holding the drinks in one hand whilst flicking through the magazine with the other.

I smiled when I saw a picture of Nick and I during high school which he’d asked if he could show to a magazine editor for an issue. My eyes were closed as I pressed a big kiss to his cheek, smiling as I did so. But it was the huge grin on Nick’s face that brought a smile to my own, his eyes alive and vibrant.

There was something so inspiring knowing that five years on, despite all of the barrier’s that were paving those years, those two crazy in love teenagers had come back together and were now looking to spend the rest of their lives together. You can’t deny true love.

The anger I had previously had towards Nick all seemed to vanish as I realised how much we had overcome to be together; how much I loved him.

I walked into the apartment block and smiled warmly at the doorman who was the cutest old man you could imagine. Riding up the lift, I chuckled as I remembered the antics of last night when we returned from clubbing, not being able to keep our hands off each other and practically dry humping in the lift at 3am as it rose to our floor. Our self control around each other still needed a lot of work.

When the lift finally came to our floor, I headed towards our apartment at the very end of the corridor, knowing how much I would miss the routine we’d fallen into here. I pushed the key into the lock stepped inside, kicking my shoes off by the door before rounding the corner into the kitchen to see Nick pouring food into Bella’s bowl as she jumped excitedly by his feet.

“Bella, wait.” He muttered as she repeatedly head butted his hand whilst he tried to pour out her food. I placed all of my stuff on the counter and smiled as I heard a loud bark from behind and soon enough a little fur ball was jumping at my feet.

“Decided to wake up have we?” I chuckled, lifting her up and snuggling her close to my chest. “I missed you too.” I cooed and laughed as she licked under my chin. I looked up to see Nick watching me from the other side of the kitchen, leaning back against the counter with his large arms crossed over his broad chest.

I walked towards him to place Bella by the food bowl which she immediately dug into. I then turned and walked back by the entrance where I’d placed all of my stuff on the counter.

“I got you some things from starbucks as well.” I said without looking at him and instead brought the muffins out of my bag. I looked up to see him by me, peering down at what I had brought. I picked up his coffee and turned to place it in his large hand.

“Grande cappuccino with soya milk, two extra shots, minimal froth and an added sprinkle of chocolate.”

He smiled and brought me into him, placing the coffee back on the counter and wrapping his arms around me.

“You are the only person who always gets that right. It just adds to the already humungous list of reasons as to why you are my favourite person in the entire world.”

I pulled my head from his chest to look into his eyes, smoothing my hands down his chest. “I don’t want to fight about this. I want us to talk and discuss it.”

“Me too.” He whispered. “Are you mad?”

“I’m annoyed that you always feel the need to bottle things up. A problem shared is a problem halved, Nick. I just want you to feel you can confide in me; that’s why I’m here.”

“I do. I do confide in you, Charlene.”

“3 weeks, Nick.” I said quietly, wondering why he’d kept it quiet for so long.

“I didn’t want to hurt you by coming over all brash with the news we could be moving. But at the same I didn’t want you getting your heart set on New Orleans if plan’s changed. I didn’t want to be messing you around.”

“You don’t have to feel like just because you’re the man of the relationship that you have to protect me from absolutely everything. It’s not a partnership if I’m the only one leaning on you; it should be both ways.” I grasped onto his shirt, feeling his grip on me tighten.

“I needed to convince myself which could be better for you. I’ve already bookmarked loads of homes in New York and was just moving onto New Orleans. I want you to feel happy wherever we end up and I’m trying so hard to make things perfect for you but I just can’t.”

“What do you mean?” I asked quietly.

“Charlene...it’s not logical for us to live in England permanently. I want to, so badly, because I know how happy it would make you, but I can’t. My job is stateside and that won’t ever change whilst I’m in this profession. I guess the only option would be to commute between-”

“We’re not doing that.” I interrupted.

“Good.” He let out a deep breath. “I can’t imagine anything worse apart from not being together at all.”

“Nope, I’m going to need to be around you all the time to ensure you don’t fall into any diva ways and to keep you in line. It’s purely for the good of the world, Mr Jonas.” I smiled, linking my arms around his neck.

“Wait...” He froze and looked at me in question. “So does that mean...?”

“I’m moving to America to be with you, Nicky.”

A massive grin appeared and he lifted me off the ground before spinning us around in the middle of the kitchen. “Nick!” I screeched with laughed. “Ground. Now.”

He laughed and set me down but squeezed me tightly into his chest.

“We could stay in the US during game season and then back here during off season.”

“I want a base.” I smiled, stroking his unshaven jaw. “I want a home. Sure, we can keep this apartment and rent it out so we have somewhere to stay when we want to escape. But I want to make a home for all of us.”

“This apartment is the closest thing I’ve had to a home since leaving my parents house. My apartment back in New York isn’t homely because there’s just no love there; it feels like more of a show room half of the time. We need a proper home Charlene; for you, for me and for Bella.”

“We’re going to find the perfect home. Sure, we don’t know what city that home will be in right now, but we’ll figure it out.”

He snuggled his head against my neck, my hair covering his face. “I love you so much.”

I smiled and turned my head to kiss his temple. “I love you too.” I whispered.

“I thought you’d be furious.”

“I was disappointed more than anything. But now I understand why you did it and getting into a fight over it seems pointless. We spent so long apart from one another, so why spend our time together again fighting? Plus...” I reached behind me into my handbag to pull out the magazine which judging by the surprised look on his face, he was yet to read. “I flicked through it as I walked back here and;” I flipped to the picture of us during high school, “look at that face; how could I ever stay mad at that face?” I pointed to his huge grin in the picture before turning my head upwards to look at him before kissing the side of his mouth.

“I sound so lovesick in this interview.” He commented with a smile, flicking briefly through the magazine.

“Women love it.” I chuckled, reaching over his arm to pick up my latte which was now a nice temperature and wasn’t going to burn off my tongue. I brought my eyes to his, my mouth still attached to the drink as he began caressing the left side of my face.

“Nothing can break us, Charlene. Absolutely nothing.”

I placed the coffee back down and cuddled into him again, let him rock me from side to side. He pressed delicate kisses all over my hair as he did so, his embrace so warm and loving. “Nothing.” I confirmed in a whispered. “Nothing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Speeding Cars - Imogen Heap

Very random thought...am I the only one who finds it quite sad that Narlene doesn’t actually exist in real life?

Random, kinda depressing thought.

On another note...I hope you enjoyed it! haha

Also, all of the reviews you guys leave make me smile so much, especially the essays where every single line seems to be analysed. I love you guys!

:)