‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

Coming Home

“To Charlene!”

All of my friends hollered as we clashed our wine glasses together. Nick had accepted the Saints deal and we were due to fly out to Louisiana in a few days time so he could commence his official training for the season later this year. We’d looked at houses online and there was one we both fell in love with instantly and was the only house we both agreed on. Nick had been to visit it during a business trip to meet all of the Saints directors and had taken a video of the house tour whilst he was there since I couldn’t be there in person.

It was much larger than I had in mind but considering Nick’s pay packet, he wanted to splash out on an amazing home for us. I’d made sure the garden was big so Bella could spread her legs, despite how tiny, but even then Nick had trumped it; getting one that was absolutely huge with a stupidly large pool, pond and a jacuzzi to name only a few things.

The house was in the style of an old Italian villa and was by far the most beautiful home I had ever seen. Privacy certainly wasn’t issue considering how large the grounds were and the community was gated, with a few other celebrities living in the lot.

Nick was certainly doing everything in his power to make sure I was comfortable which I could not thank him enough for doing.

Summer was finally just around the corner and I was done with university. Graduation wasn’t for a while, meaning it wouldn’t be too long until I was reunited with all of my friends here again who I would miss so much.

“You better invite all of us over when you’re settled in.” Rachel said from opposite me, everyone agreeing loudly. Thank you alcohol.

“Of course I will.” I laughed, taking another sip of my wine.

“And considering how fucking huge your new place is, we all expect butlers and maids to be waiting on our every word!” Sharon yelled from the end of the table. She was also so chummy with her booze.

“You have butlers and maids?!” Her best friend Debbie screeched.

“No, it’s not that kind of house.” I assured her, laughing as a pout formed on her lips.

After our meal and pre party drinks, the plan had been to go out clubbing but truth me told, I didn’t have the energy. I’d spent all day packing with Nick and tomorrow would be no different. It was exhausting.

Nick was having a lads night back at our house with a few of his football buddies but I had a feeling Bella would want in on the fun as well. He’d been out the night before with all of his friends, all of which were gutted that Nick was leaving, though many of them had expected him to. This time it was too big of an opportunity to turn down.

This certainly wasn’t my final farewell with my friends since we were having a barbecue at Rachel’s house the day before I was leaving. But the realisation of my departure was certainly hitting home, for both myself and my friends. It was the end of a fun era.

Rachel sat on the other side of me, her beautiful son Elliot being born 2 weeks prior. “You still not drinking?” I asked.

“I don’t know, I’ve gotten so used to not having it that I just don’t feel like it anymore. Besides, I can save the money and buy some more furniture for Elliot’s nursery and oh my god I’ve already turned into a boring old fart.” She groaned. I laughed and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

“Oi oi sexy’s!” My friend Tara whistled to some men that were passing to sit at the table next to us. Sharon shushed her but couldn’t help laughing and everyone looked up to see what must have been a stag do enter the room. It was very clear who the husband to be was, with his beaming smile and bright eyes; though that could have just been the booze.

I took another sip of my wine and choked when I saw the man walking in second to last, smiling at something his friend was saying.

“Oh shit.” Rachel muttered.

Mark.

I turned my head to Rachel, refusing to look up. “Please tell me he hasn’t seen me.”

“He didn’t.” She confirmed once they’d all been seated further down the restaurant and hidden from sight. “Have you seen him since your break up?” She asked and I shook my head.

“It’s been three months now but the wound’s still kind of raw, especially on his end considering how abrupt we split. He’ll have moved on by now though; he’s not the type to hold a grudge.”

“He never seemed like the type to be bitter either. He’s a nice guy.”

“I know.” I smiled softly, taking another drink of my wine.

“But Nick’s the one for you.” She grinned, nudging me. “Of that I’ve have no doubt.”

I wrapped my arm around her and pressed a loud, ‘mwah’ to her temple, hugging her tightly. “I’m going to miss you so much, Rach. You guys have to come visit when everything settles down for both of us.”

“Of course I will. Just because you’re leaving England doesn’t mean any of us are letting you go.”

...

Over the course of the evening the stag night that Mark was on had been getting very chummy with my group of friends and soon enough, we were all leaving the restaurant and heading out together.

“So, where are you lovely ladies off to now?” The groom asked, staggering slightly.

“We’re heading downtown to hit the clubs.” Tara screeched and a few other girls hollered. “We’ll see you two lovelys on Wednesday.” Tara smiled, kissing my cheek and holding me close before moving onto Rachel. I hugged all of my friends goodbye who knew how exhausted I was from packing. It was nice to have people that understood and didn’t question every move.

All of my friends headed up the street along with the stag party, many linking arms and chanting as they did so. Some of them would no doubt be going home together.

“Rach, shall we-” I froze when I noticed two men had stayed behind; Mark and his best friend Toby, which caused my heart to speed up frantically.

I gulped and continued to stare at Mark, neither of us moving. Seeing him hurt more than it should have. Rachel stayed by my side, her hand on my back and Toby also stayed standing next to Mark. I saw Toby make a nod at Rachel and they then both moved to the side whereas Mark and I stepped slightly close to one another.

“Hi Mark.” I whispered, pulling on my jacket sleeves. He tilted his head to the side and smiled weakly. Why was I so bloody nervous?

“Hi Charlene.”

Neither of us spoke for a long time and it was hard knowing we used to connect on such a deep level and be so close; whereas now we couldn’t figure out what to say. But being Mark, he stepped up first.

“How are things with Nick?”

“Good.” I paused. “Very good.”

He nodded and looked down at his feet. “Is there any special lady in your life right now?”

When he looked up at me again his eyes appeared strained and full of pain. “No.” He whispered, looking down the street once more. “Lola misses you a lot.” He chuckled, but again it was very forced.

“I miss her too. I’ve actually got my own little dog now too. She reminds me of Lola sometimes but she’s much less of a drama queen.” I smiled and so did he, but his was real this time.

“What’s her name?”

“Bella.”

He nodded and smiled again. “That’s a pretty name.”

I sighed and let my arms fall by sides. “Are we really talking about dogs right now?”

He laughed as if he had been thinking the exact same thing. “I heard about the Saints.”

“We move in a few days.”

“So soon?”

I nodded. “Nick has lots of press conferences to do and then settling into the new club. It’s a change for both of us.”

He opened his mouth but quickly closed it, not thinking it appropriate.

“Go on.” I encouraged.

“Are you ok with moving so far away? I mean, did you have a fair say?”

“Yeah. I accepted I’d probably have to move stateside to be with him, but it’s all an adventure I guess. You’re only young once.”

He nodded and continued to stare at me in deep thought. “I mis-” He then cleared his throat violently to stop himself finishing his sentence but I knew what he had been about to say.

“I should probably get going.” I said softly, wanting to avoid any awkwardness.

“Oh of course, I’m sorry to have held you-”

“Mark.” I smiled and shook my head. “You didn’t and you still haven’t gotten better at apologising for everything.”

A relieved smile crossed his lips and I remembered why I had fallen for him. I took a few steps closer to him and his eyes turned warm yet wary of my actions. “You’re such an amazing guy, Mark. The next woman who captures your heart will be a very special and lucky lady.”

“She won’t be you though.” He whispered.

“That’s why she’ll be perfect.” I chuckled and so did he. “I guarantee that you will find the most incredible woman out there and when you do I’d like to meet her.” I smiled though we both knew I was kidding about meeting her. It would be too hard for Mark and I to remain close after all we had shared. I leant onto my tiptoes and pressed a kiss to his cheek, falling back onto my feet again.

“And for the record; I’ve missed you too.” I smiled, turning and walking towards Rachel who smiled supportively and linked her arm through mine, heading the opposite direction to the guys who were still off to the clubs.

“How’d you feel?” Rachel asked with a gentle tone, squeezing my arm.

“Good.” I let out a deep breath I hadn’t known I’d been holding. “I’ve realised that I will always love Mark, and I will never deny that. But I’ll never love him like I do, Nick. I’ll never love anyone the way I do, Nick.

Rachel beamed up at me and squeezed my arm once more. “As much as I liked Mark, Nick just seems more real to me which is ironic considering he’s so famous in America. Mark was too polite and...I don’t know the word.”

“Perfect.”

“Yeah, and I don’t know why I think that’s a bad thing.”

“Because you can’t compete. Nick has his flaws and so do I, but we accept those of each other. With Mark I always felt like I wasn’t worthy because he didn’t have any blatant flaws like I do. And besides...Nick’s more cuddly.” I smiled. Rachel rolled her eyes playfully and elbowed me gently. “Well he is. Mark was always so wrapped up in work which is clearly his number priority at this time in his life and understandably. But Nick just seems to want to cuddle all of the time. He makes me feel so special and like I am everything to him.”

“Because you are. Nick knows what it is like to lose you and to be honest, as cold as it may sound, those years of hurt and loneliness for both of you have helped in the long run because now you just appreciate each so much more. Mark didn’t have a past with you or know what life without you would be like; Nick did.”

I smiled softly to myself as we walked the streets of Oxford in a peaceful silence, missing Nick already even though I’d only left the house a few hours ago. I was truly whipped.

“I’m sure I’m going to have another sleepless night.” Rachel sighed and my heart went out to her; having a new born was no walk in the park as the dark rings beneath her eyes proved. “And I’m sure you will too...but not the same kind.” She winked at me with a cheeky glint in her eye. I laughed and shook my head.

“Not tonight. I’m absolutely shattered and Nick’s got some friends around the apartment; so nope, no sexy time tonight.”

“Right...” She smirked, pulling out the keys to her car. “All I’m saying, is that there are clear advantages to being with an athlete.”

“In what regard?” I chuckled, looking at her across the roof of her car.

“Let’s see...stamina, speed, muscles-”

“So, nothing shallow whatsoever?” I grinned and she laughed, shaking her head at me and stepping into her car.

“You guys are different though.” She concluded five minutes into the journey home, drumming her fingers on the wheel as we pulled up to a red light. “Let’s be honest; you’re both bloody gorgeous.”

“I wouldn’t say-”

“Nope.” She held up her hand. “It’s true. You’re too nice considering how hot you are, Charlene!” She laughed. “You’re meant to be a bitch, but you’re the furthest thing from my lovely. When you first told me about Nick and then showed me some pictures of him online; I instantly thought he’d be a douche.”

“Really? You thought that?”

“Yeah.” She said softly. “I mean, professional athletes kinda have that reputation...”

“Man whores.”

“Exactly. Plus, considering how good looking Nick is...I mean he could get anyone he wants, just like you could. But that’s why I love you guys so much more because your eyes don’t wander from one another. I mean, there were so many hot guys there tonight and sure, I saw you giving them the once over.” She laughed and I shrugged, not going to deny it. They weren’t exactly hard on the eyes. “But nothing more and I know Nick’s the same. It’s just so refreshing, Charlene. I’m so happy for you because you deserve it so much.”

“Rach, I’m going to miss you.” I pouted. “You always seem to know what to say.”

“The truth.” She smiled over at me. “That’s all I’m speaking.”

...

I pushed open the door of the apartment to hear loads of laughing from inside, the tv playing in the background. I hung my coat in the small entrance closet and took off my heels, slipping into my slippers and opting instead to carry my shoes. I walked through to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of orange juice and downed it. I heard a huge burst of laughter coming from the other room, Nick’s laugh bringing a smile to my face. I walked through to the living room to say hello, seeing 6 other huge men on my couches. These football players were not small.

“Hi guys.” I smiled, all of them turning their heads and wearing large and genuine smiles, greeting me warmly. For some reason I was one of the few girlfriends who had been accepted by the players. I wasn’t a gold digger and that was apparently rare in this line of work. One of Nick’s best friends on the team had also shared his appreciation in me making Nick happy which as he said ‘was all that the guys on the squad wanted for him.’ They all knew he’d been crushed by his first love but only a few knew the details about what actually happened.

Nick stood from the couch and walked towards me, his smile loving and inviting like always. He closed the door of the living room behind him so we were alone in the kitchen.

“I thought you were going to be out until the early hours.” He said whilst softly caressing my cheek.

“Yeah, but I missed you.” I smiled, leaning upwards to rub my nose against his. His lips curved into a smile as he moved his hands to my waist, pulling me close. “I missed you too.” He whispered over my lips.

“Have you had fun tonight?” I asked, smoothing my hands down his chest. He nodded and squeezed my bum.

“Yeah it was really nice. They all love Bella.”

“Really?” I laughed, wondering what she had gotten up to.

“Yeah, she’s been the right little social creature tonight.”

“Well well well, what ever would happen if the world found out these big, bad football players had a soft spot for little puppies?” I grinned, pressing my lips to his again. “You’ll never guess who I bumped into tonight.” He raised his eyebrows for me to continue. “Mark.”

His face fell and his eyes closed slightly, silently telling me to go on. “He was out on a stag night at the same restaurant and our groups kind of merged and went clubbing which is where they are now.”

“How was he?”

I sighed and didn’t quite know how to answer that. I doubted telling him it was clear Mark still had feelings for me would make him happy. “Polite as always.” I smiled weakly, doing my best to not worry Nick. “But do you want to know what?”

“What?” He said dryly, his thoughts clearly still churning. I grasped his face in my hands and kissed each of his cheeks delicately before falling onto my feet once more. “The whole time I was speaking to him, all I was thinking about was you and how much I wanted to be back here with you and Bella. Actually, the entire night you were all that was running through my mind. I’ve never had that with any man but you, Nick.”

His worried look faded and a soppy one grew and I chuckled as his lopsided grin appeared. “Well...do you want to know a little something about my night?” He asked, wrapping his arms around my lower back and pulling me close. “Whilst all of the guys were going on about the rules of football; all I could think about was that night I was teaching you them and then we...you know; did it for the first time since we’ve been back together.”

“Your secret is safe with me.” I chuckled, tangling my fingers in his hair and bringing his lips to mine. He sucked on my bottom lip and then slid his tongue into my mouth, turning the kiss passionate and lustful. The door to the living room opened and we heard all of the guys hollering and laughing, causing a blush to instantly grace my cheeks.

“You guys are such losers.” Nick laughed, squeezing my body to his again.

“I’m going to go and leave you boys in peace.” I smiled, stepping back from Nick, removing my hands from his hair and sliding them down his warm chest.

“No no, you should stay.” Nick’s pal Ben said and the others nodded. All of their thick and husky American accents were insanely hot, but Nick’s voice would forever be my weakness. My house was pretty much every females dream right there and then.

“It’s fine. I wouldn’t want to show you guys up at your knowledge of the game anyway.” I smirked. They all laughed and Nick wrapped his arms tightly around me again, bringing my attention back to him.

“We’ll try to keep it down.” He smiled.

“No it’s ok, I’m going to be up for a while anyway.”

“Alright.” He smiled. “Love you.”

“Love you too.” I kissed him quickly and waved goodnight to the guys, heading down the corridor to our bedroom with my heels and handbag in toe, smiling as I heard James say “you have the coolest girlfriend ever.”

“Tell me about it.” Nick said and I knew he was grinning. I looked behind to see him at the end of the corridor staring down at me with that grin in tact. He winked at me and I smiled, blowing him a kiss before opening the door to our room. He reached out his hand to catch it and brought it to his heart, causing a chuckle to leave my lips. Even though his friends hadn’t seen the interaction, it wasn’t long before I heard them making the whipped noise. At least he got that grief too.

My heart warmed when I saw Bella asleep in her tiny bed at the end of ours, her head tucked under her paw. I walked through to the walk in wardrobe and stripped down and into my pyjamas, picking up my macbook from the desk and heading back to bed. I looked down to see Bella yawning widely and stretching her little body in her bed. I placed my macbook on the bed and bent down to pick Bella up who you could also guarantee would be pleased to see you. I slid beneath the warm duvet and put my macbook on, chuckling as Bella pushed her way underneath my arm to lay pressed up against my body.

“You’re so cute.” I cooed, rubbing her tiny nose. “And a little heartbreaker with the men I hear.” I laughed as she licked my hand, living up to her reputation. I rubbed her tiny head as I opened the file that held all of the pictures of our new home as well as the video Nick had taken. “That’s our new home, Bella.” I whispered, looking at all of the pictures for the thousandth time. I smiled at the picture Nick had taken of himself in front of the jacuzzi, his thumb up and a huge cheesy grin on his face.

Half an hour later I was feeling absolutely shattered and I looked down to see Bella asleep against me. I turned off my laptop and trudged over to the desk before carrying myself back to bed and flicking the light off, allowing Bella to stay with me. She stretched again and moved even close, snuggling into me. She and Nick were my absolute weakness.

...

Nick POV

I closed the front door after waving off my friends and let out a loud yawn, stretching my arms above my head as I headed towards the kitchen. I pulled out two glasses and filled them with cold water, rubbing my eyes as I yawned once more.

My night in with the guys had definitely been something that opened my eyes to how much I’d miss them all. Thankfully James was also heading down to the Saints and I knew a lot of the guys on the team; but I’d definitely miss my Giants family. They were my brothers.

I smiled as I remembered the conversations we’d had about Charlene who all of them absolutely loved. She was one of the few girlfriends who was actually interested in the game, rather than what it paid. Charlene never asked about how much money was involved because it didn’t matter; as long as I enjoyed what I was doing, that’s all that she cared about. She was so perfect to me. I could see in their eyes how envious they all were of our relationship. Considering I was the only one without a serious girlfriend for the four years I’d known these guys, it was nice knowing how the tables had now turned.

The apartment was silent as I headed towards our room; the door open just a jar. I slowly pushed it open with my foot, trying to be as quiet as possible. I placed a glass of water on my bedside table and then walked around to place the other on Charlene’s. I smiled as I watched her sleep, her mouth open just slightly. I pressed a soft kiss to her lips and pulled back to see her mouth now closed, a gentle smile on display.

“Bella.” I whispered, rubbing her body gently. When she didn’t budge I carefully lifted her and thankfully she remained asleep as I carried her to her bed, stroking her softly as she snuggled into the little blanket in there.

I took off all of my clothes and climbed into bed in my boxers, flicking off the lamp and sliding over to Charlene. I wrapped my arms around her from behind and pressed gentle kisses to her shoulder, loving the smell of her perfume that still clung to her soft skin. “I love you.” I whispered, settling my chin on her shoulder and falling into a deep sleep, which was something that only seemed to happen when I was with Charlene.

...

Nick POV

For the entire journey through New Orleans, I kept glancing over at Charlene for her reaction to everything, praying that she loved where we would be spending at least the next year of our lives.

“It’s so different.” She said quietly as drove out of central New Orleans and headed towards the suburbs.

“Good or bad?” I asked, rubbing my thumb down her hand that lay on her thigh.

“Just different.” She smiled over at me, squeezing my hand. “It’s really beautiful though.”

“Weather’s warmer than Oxford as well.”

“Well that was a given.” She chuckled, glancing in the backseat at Bella who was sat in a pet carrier from the plane. “I can’t wait to let her loose in our new back garden. She’s never really had a garden to run around.”

Twenty minutes later we pulled up to the entrance of our new neighbourhood and I saw Charlene frown at how strict security was.

“Did something dodgy happen around here?” She questioned and I laughed, shaking my head, thanking the guard and driving through once the barriers lifted.

“It’s an expensive neighbourhood and quite a few celebrities, mainly other athletes, live in here so it’s ultimate privacy. Did you think I’d bring you to a ghetto?”

“I dunno; I think it’d be sexy seeing you get all gangster on me.” She grinned up at me, crossing her legs on the seat. I laughed again and rubbed her thigh, linking my fingers through hers once more.

She squeezed my hand tightly as I slowed the car down and rolled down the window. I quickly typed in a password and pressed my finger to the sensor, smiling as the gates opened, revealing a long road.

“Is this it?” She asked breathlessly, looking all around her.

“This is it.” I said, driving down the long road and glancing over at her as our new home rose from behind the perfectly trimmed bushes.

“Oh my gosh.” She whispered, stepping out of the car as soon as it had stopped. She stayed in one place just staring at the house and the pond in front of it, the fountain in the middle of the drive being the only noise around.

“What do you think?” I asked, wrapping my arms around her and resting my chin on her head for only a few moments before she turned in my arms and lay her hands on my chest.

“It’s so beautiful, Nick.” She whispered and I had to double take when I saw a tear roll down her cheek.

“Baby.” I chuckled, bringing her into me and rocking her from side to side.

“We’ve finally done it, Nick.”

“Done what?” I asked quietly, rubbing her back. She pulled her head back and looked up at me, her beautiful eyes glistening with tears.

“This is the house we always spoke about, Nicky. Our first home together. Five years later and we’re finally living the life we always spoke about.”

I felt a lump form in my throat as I looked down at her because she was right. We were finally living our dream. We were starting a new life together.

“I love you.” I whispered. She sobbed and cuddled into me, crying tears of absolute joy. “I love you too.”

I nuzzled my face into her hair as we just held each other, taking in everything. The amazing reality had finally hit and we couldn’t be happier.

“Welcome home, baby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Coming Home - Enrique Iglesias

Thank my boyfriend for these fast updates because he’s away playing on a rugby tour as he’s on the county team, meaning I have a bit more free time since he’s not around so... more Narlene!

I know a lot of you didn’t like Mark, but I still have a soft spot for him. Lovesick puppy.

Random note, if you haven’t heard Enrique’s new album Euphoria then you are missing out. It is my obsession right now!

I’m leaving to go on my holidays next week so I’m going to try to get the next one out before that so keep your eyes peeled.

Read. Review. Loooove.

:)