‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

Born to Live

I felt a bead of sweat roll down my cheek as the burning Louisiana sun shone down on all of us, my legs beginning to give way. We’d been living in our new home for three weeks now and most mornings we’d go for a run together, along with Bella if she wasn’t sleeping. Nick and I had rarely been able to do these things back in Oxford or New York because of how crowded it always was, but everything was so peaceful and relaxed in our neighbourhood that we were now able to do these things together.

Nick and I had planned to be out by 10am but we’d ended up having a bit of a roll around in bed which had delayed us and I was definitely feeling the side effects of running at twelve when the sun was at it’s highest.

“Nick, can we rest soon?” I asked breathlessly, figuring we’d been running for at least an hour now.

“Just after this bend in the lake ok? There’s some nice shaded areas around there.”

I glanced up at him, his face hidden in the shadow of his Yankees hat that both kept him cool and hid his identity. Thankfully, paparazzi was much less aggressive than it was in New York, but there was still a huge buzz about Nick joining the Saints and he’d always been one to keep a low profile. He didn’t feel the need to draw lots of attention to himself, though considering his appearance, that wasn’t an option half of the time.

Nick was holding a water bottle in his hand for the entire run whereas I was holding onto Bella’s lead; her speed slowing too as I can began to tire. We rounded the corner of the lake and as he’d promised, there was a huge shaded area with all of the huge oak trees blocking out all of the sun. Nick jogged a little way up the small hill and stopped at one of the trees, turning to look at me as I stopped running and walked the last few steps.

“Good job, babe.” He let out a deep breath as he spoke, pressing a kiss to my lips though I was too exhausted to return it. I lay down on the grass and spread my arms and legs, sighing happily with the breeze beneath the trees. Nick got down beside me and lay on one side, resting his head on his hand as his elbow propped him up. I looked to see Bella looking up at me panting, her little body pumping as it tried to calmed down.

Nick started trailing his hand through my hair, causing me to turn my gaze to his, a lazy smile on my face.

“How are you not shattered?” I breathed.

“I’m a professional football player; I’d be sacked if I wasn’t fit.” He chuckled, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

I let out a another breath to calm my breathing and turned on my side to face Nick, our bodies close but not touching. “What time is your training today?”

“Four to eight. We can go out to dinner afterwards if you’d like.”

“Nick.” I chuckled softly. “Where the heck do you get all of the energy? You workout all day, so wouldn’t you rather just sleep the night away?”

“But then I’d miss out on being with you.” He grinned, continuing to trail his fingers down my cheek.

“You’re so full of it.” I laughed, poking his nose and looking into his beaming eyes. “I was thinking that I could cook us something tonight and then maybe; if you’re a good boy; I can give you a massage.”

He smirked and wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me close, whispering in my ear; “I thought you liked it when I was a bad.”

“I’ve told you about using that seductive tone of voice in public.” I warned, poking his chest and grinning as he laughed. I squealed when he flipped me over so my body was on top of his, his warm broad arms holding me close. I smiled down at him and pressed my lips to his, his kiss just as soft.

We were living in our own little world down in Louisiana and I could not have been happier. We already had our routines and everything seemed to be going perfectly. To think of how much I despised Nick initially in high school always made me smile, thinking of how much we’d both changed as a result of being together. Good changes.

I pulled back from his lips and smiled warmly down at him, holding his face in my hands. I sighed and ran my my thumbs over his cheeks, gazing down into his deep brown eyes.

“What are you thinking?” He asked gently, concern lacing his words.

“I’m just imagining what my life would have been like if I’d never met you. If my dad’s job hadn’t sent him to Chicago.”

“And what does that life look like?”

“A dull one.” I chuckled and he flashed a smile. “A lonely, dull one.” I confirmed with a gentle sigh, smiling down at him. God, he was gorgeous.

He pulled me close and pressed a long kiss to my lips, holding me extremely close. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I whispered, gently kissing him for a minute or so before pulling away with a warm smile. I was whipped.

With his lips still pressed to my hair I felt him smile and laugh softly, his body so warm and comfortable. I turned my gaze to the path at the bottom of the hill, watching all of the passers by; the exercise addicts, the families taking in the beautiful weather, the loved up couples. It was the perfect people watching spot. I lifted my arm and reached to the side of Nick to pick up the water bottle, gulping some down despite how warm it had become.

I raised an eyebrow at Nick as I held the bottle up, offering him some. He grinned and opened his mouth, a cheeky look in his brown eyes. I chuckled and held onto his jaw softly as I tipped some water into his mouth and waited for him to swallow before pouring some more in.

It was moments like this that I absolutely cherished and they seemed to be occurring more and more for us. Moments that to most were so simple and basic, but being able to relax in a beautiful park overlooking the lake with my boyfriend and puppy meant the world to me. I’d come to realise that it really is the simple things in life that bring the most joy.

...
3 weeks later

Nick POV


“Wow; sweet home, dude.” Ben commented, patting me on the back whilst all of the guys agreed; completely in awe of how quickly we had turned the house into a home.

It had been a month since Saints pre season training had begun and this was the first time I’d be introducing Charlene to some of the guys. Training was strictly for players only and Charlene had been so busy around the house, decorating and what not, that the introductions were yet to happen.

“Do you guys want some drinks?” I asked and they all said yes far too quickly, the Louisiana sun really having taken it’s toll. I pulled 7 cans of beer from the fridge for the guys and headed out back.

Sara had come down for the week to help Charlene get some final things for the house which apparently needed a woman’s opinion. I’m sorry that I’m a 23 year old man who doesn’t care about cushions. Henry had been away in Los Angeles for a business convention and rather than leaving Sara in their apartment alone, we’d happily welcomed her with open arms.

“Hey Sara.” I called as I saw her sitting in the hot tub reading a magazine, though Charlene was no where to be seen.

She smiled and waved back, noticing all of the guys around me and freezing slightly. “Hey.” Her voice cracked slightly and I chuckled, though none of them seemed to notice.

“This is Sara, our close friend from high school.”

“Hello.” All of the guys said at once, causing a burst of laughter to erupt from all of us.

“Sara, where’s Charlene?” I called, taking a drink of my beer, also wondering where Bella was.

“Behind you.” She nodded towards the door which Charlene was just coming out of, her head down as she looked at Bella who was tucked under her arm. I bit down on my bottom lip as I eyed her in a black strapless bikini which showed her in all of her glory. It was my favourite bikini of hers; though it never stayed on for long when we were alone together.

Bella barked loudly when she saw me and Charlene’s head immediately flew up, her eyes widening with the surprise at the sight of loads of huge men on her patio.

“Hi.” She smiled warmly to them all, pulling her sunglasses down. I quickly looked over at the guys, seeing their eyes feasting on her hot body, and some of their trousers doing little to hide their appreciation. There was no denying it; she was beautiful. I chuckled and moved to wrap my arm around her, smiling as her free arm looped around my back.

“Guys, this is Charlene. Charlene...the guys.”

They all greeted her politely, noticing how unfazed she seemed by all of them being there.

“Ok...it will take me a while to remember each one; but what are all of your names?”

I saw a strange wave of relief wash over all of their faces at how oblivious she was to who they were and what they stood for. There was always a fear of women who knew everything about you; your status, your wealth, everything. Charlene didn’t care about any of that and I know that as far as she was concerned, these were just 7 guys who happened to do the same job as her boyfriend. She saw them as normal human beings which was one of the many reasons everyone at the Giants loved her.

I chuckled as they all gave their names as if they were still in school and Charlene smiled at each of them, a warm and welcoming smile.

“Are you boys all staying for dinner? We were going to start a barbecue in a bit.”

“That’d be awesome, thanks.” Rob answered and the guys all agreed. Men as big as us didn’t pass on free meals.

Bella began whining for food in Charlene’s arms, butting her head into her hand. “I’ve just got to feed this little one but it was nice finally meeting all of you.” She smiled. “Do you want snacks?” She asked, looking up at me. God, she was beautiful.

“I’ll come and get them.” I pulled my gaze from hers to the guys. “I’ll be back in a bit.”

I followed Charlene into the house, not being able to hold back my smile. I’d met all of the girlfriends of the guys and the only thing I had to say about the matter was that I win. Once she’d placed Bella on the ground, I grabbed her by her hips and spun her around to face me, looking down at her.

She smiled up at me and stood on her tiptoes, brushing her lips against mine. “How was your day?”

“Good.” I responded, brushing my lips back over hers. “Even better now that I’ve come home to find you in that bikini.”

She chuckled and lightly hit my chest. “You’re so bad.” She fell back onto her heels and wrapped her arms around my neck, giggling as I lifted her up and sat her on the counter, making it easier for me to look into her eyes.

“I can already tell that the guys like you.” I said, smoothing my hands down her back and nibbling softly on her shoulder.

“They seem nice. You always make nice friends. Though they aren’t the most discreet with their perving.” She chuckled.

“Sweetie, look at you, it’s very hard to be discreet when you’re in that bikini.” I breathed into her ear.

“Oh, you like this bikini? You always seemed more concerned with getting it off me that I assumed you didn’t like it.”

I chuckled into her neck and pressed a series of kisses there before pulling my head back but keeping it close to hers as I trapped her between my body, my arms resting on either side of her on the counter.

“Are you excited about your graduation on Friday?” I asked and she nodded, placing her fingers on my neck and softly running them along the skin.

“Are you sure you’re able to come with me? I don’t want to disrupt your training schedule and honestly, it will fine if I have to go alone.”

“Charlene.” I sighed, knowing how many times we’d had this conversation. “I told them during my signing that I had this commitment that I was not going to miss. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

She smiled ever so softly at me and wrapped her long fingers delicately around the top of my ears, rubbing her thumbs along them. “Thank you.” She whispered, gently pulling me into a soft kiss. “My mum rang whilst you were at work and it turns out, dad is coming with her to my graduation.”

My expression didn’t change as I looked at her, trying to judge how she truly felt about that. It was his first attempt to reach out to her.

“He’s trying which I guess is a start.” She sighed, playing with the bottom of my shirt and frowning in thought. “I shouldn’t have brought it up when we have guests.” She shook her head, trying to get down but I refused to let her move. She still wouldn’t look up and was toying with the bottom of my shirt as if her life depended on it.

“Charlene.” I cooed softly, holding onto her chin and slowly bringing her head upwards. “He’s taken a big step. Yes, like me he is stubborn, but he loves you so much. At least he’s trying.”

“But Nick-”

She stopped when there was a coughing sound from the doorway.

“Sorry to interrupt.” Paul began. “But where’s your bathroom?” He said sheepishly and I watched Charlene smile.

“Just down the corridor, second door on the left.” Charlene replied. She looked behind me where I assumed Bella had remained silently which was a first.

“I need to feed her.” Charlene sighed, pushing me back slightly and standing, our bodies now pressed together. I looked down at her, her eyes looking confused and lost. She smiled up at me, trying to fool me she was fine with the situation but I knew her too well. I walked around the counter to grab some crisps and pretzels, along with some other snacks, knowing how hungry the guys always got.

A moment later Charlene reemerged from the pantry and poured some food into Bella’s bowl and topped up her water, looking up at me watching her.

“What time did you want me to start the barbecue for you guys?” She asked, brushing her feelings under the carpet as always.

“Come ‘ere.” I placed the food on the counter and opened my arms, watching her as she padded towards me, falling into my embrace. “I’ll sort out the barbecue. Just relax tonight.” She lay her head against my chest, her fingers sliding up my shirt, a gentle sigh leaving her soft lips. “We’ll talk about everything later.” I whispered, squeezing her close. “I promise.”

“Ok.” She whispered back, stepping slowly out of my arms and heading back to the fridge to grab a bottle of water. She headed towards the door and I cleared my throat loudly, pointing to my cheek. I heard her chuckle and walk back towards me, leaning up on her tip toes to kiss my cheek.

“You’re so dorky.” She grinned. A large smile grew on my lips as her dimples came out, the ones that only appeared when she smiled genuinely.

“Babe, you wouldn’t have it any other way.” I smirked, sliding my hand into hers. She chuckled and nodded, squeezing my hand back.

“Damn right.”

...

Charlene POV

Graduation.

This day had finally come and way too quickly for my liking. It had felt like only yesterday that I’d fled to England to try to put Nick and my past behind him. Little did I know that five years later I would be stepping onto the stage with my Nick in the audience who I was living an incredible life with in New Orleans and who I could not be any more smitten with if I tried.

Fate? I think so.

“Charlene Howard.”

I let out a deep breath and stepped onto the stage, smiling as my friends were cheering loudly, maybe too loud judging by the look on my tight ass lecturer’s face.

“Thank you.” I smiled, taking my certificate and walking to join my peers, all of them beaming. My eyes scanned the crowd for Nick, searching each row and frowning when I couldn’t see him.

“Second row at the end.” My friend Kelly whispered into my ear as she stood behind me. My eyes travelled to the second row and there was my Nick. He was clapping as the next person came onto the stage but the look of pride in his face made butterflies erupt in my stomach.

My heart leapt when he winked at me and smiled a wide toothy grin, nodding his head. I smiled back and then searched for my mum who I knew had landed today, the flight the previous day having been cancelled.

There at the very back stood my mother, wiping her tears yet smiling warmly through them. There was an arm around her shoulder and I followed it until I was staring at my father. He’d really come. I let out a ragged breath, not sure how his presence should make me feel. He was smiling a closed mouth smile, still staring straight at me.

I gulped and moved my gaze back to Nick who looked gorgeous in his white dior shirt, the top two button undone, flashing the chain of Jesse’s dogtag. I had sacrificed everything to be with him and it was the best decision I had ever made. He meant everything to me.

After what felt like years, the ceremony came to an end and people began pouring off stage, running into their parents arms with emotion. If only my circumstances were that way.

Before I had a chance to process anything my mother tackled me into a hug, still sobbing tears of joy. She’d always been far too emotional.

“I’m so proud of you, sweetheart.” She gushed, turning the shoulder of my gown a darker blue with her tears.

“Thanks mum.” I laughed.

“We’re both proud of you.” My dad finally spoke up, his eyes penetrating mine once again.

It was quiet between us before I finally spoke up in a whisper. “Thanks.”

I looked over behind my parents to see Nick making his way through the crowds towards him, his height making him stand way above the rest. I squealed and ran towards him, managing to squeeze past some people and land in his arms. He held me tight and rocked me from side to side, both of us grinning at each other.

“I’m so proud of you, Charlene. You were amazing.”

“Thank you.” I smiled, rubbing my nose against his.

“I couldn’t stop smiling whilst you were up there.” He chuckled. “Aww, my little Charlene is all grown up now.”

“Shut up.” I laughed, leaning up to kiss him softly. I pulled back and stepped down from my tip toes, my arms still around him. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Me too.” He replied softly, linking his arms around me. “Can I let you in on a little secret?”

I nodded and bit my lip, smiling as he bent down to my level and whispered in my ear. “You were by far the most beautiful woman on that stage. I just wanted to run up there and nuzzle my face into that perfect neck of yours.”

I giggled and buried my face into his chest, pressing kisses to his shirt. “What is it about my neck that you’re so obsessed with?” I laughed, knowing it was a love of his.

“I don’t know. It’s just so...perfect.”

“You’re so odd.” I smiled, smoothing my hand down his cheek.

He looked behind me to where my parents were standing and I saw acceptance in his eyes. We had to face them together. I’d been trying to put it off as much as possible but Nick didn’t run from things. Most would have completely ignored the situation considering the way my dad had acted, but Nick wasn’t a coward.

“Come on.” He said softly, linking his fingers through mine and letting me lead the way through the crowds to my parents who were talking amongst themselves.

“Oh Nicholas!” My mum smiled, walking forward and hugging Nick, pulling my hand from his briefly. As soon as she stepped back I snatched Nick’s hand into mine once more.

“Didn’t she do great?” Nick smiled, squeezing my hand. My mum smiled lovingly at me and pinched my cheeks despite my hand swatting at hers. I hated that she still did that even though she knew it bugged me.

“A masters degree is a huge achievement. Everyone is thrilled for you.” My dad said to me, only looking at me and not even glancing at Nick.

“Well Nick was the one that kept pushing me to complete it, even on those days when it would have been much easy to lie in a warm bed watching friends reruns.” I chuckled, linking my arm through Nick’s and holding on tight.

“So, do you already have a job lined up?” My dad asked, not even acting like he’d heard what I had just said.

I cleared my throat with bitterness more than anything but tried to act pleasant. “Not yet. We’re still settling into our new home but we’ll see.”

“I’ve got lots of contacts who are already really interested in taking her on.” Nick added, pulling his arm from my grip and instead wrapping it around my shoulder, bringing me in.

“Yes, well remember you’ll feel more achievement if you do things on your own.” Again, my dad didn’t even look at Nick. “It’s not a career if it’s not self made.”

Nick’s grip on my shoulder tightened but he was good at hiding anger in his facial features though I knew he was far from pleased.

“As long as you’re happy, sweetheart.” My mum placed her hand on my arm and smiled apologetically for my fathers behaviour.

“We’re going out for dinner tonight to celebrate, you’re both more than welcome to join us.” Nick invited and my head flew up in surprise. Why would he want to be around my dad even more? Nick had tried and tried and each time my dad had spat in his face, yet Nick wasn’t done trying to fill the gap. He wanted things back to normal.

Finally, my dad brought his eyes up to Nick’s, the challenge silent but present. My mum and I could feel the tension as they continued to stare at one another, the moment feeling like hours though it was only seconds.

“We’d love to.” My dad’s voice was emotionless yet strong. He sure was stubborn.

“We look forward to it. We’ll contact you both later with details.” Nick replied, a smile growing on his lips.

I looked at my dad to see him now watching me, his eyes flickering between myself and Nick. We waved goodbye to them and headed for the exit, our arms wrapped tightly around each other.

“You didn’t have to do that, Nick.”

“I did. It’s my fault that there is so much hostility so I have to fix it.”

“Nick, you have done more than enough. If my dad is still being an ass towards you then why keep trying to please him? Why give him the superiority?”

“Because he’s still your father. I need him to like me. He brought you up into an amazing woman so I’m thankful to him and I always will be. I owe him.”

“You don’t.” I sighed, stopping at the hood of our car, our arms still around one another. I waited for Nick to speak as he looked down at me in thought but instead he leant down and pressed a kiss to my lips briefly before walking to the drivers side of the car.

“We can grab a starbucks on the way back.” He said before sliding into the car. I sighed once more and looked around the car park at everyone with their families; their families who I’m sure would be thrilled if their children found the loves of their life.

“Everything will be fine.” I whispered to myself, turning to look at Nick who was sat in his range rover gazing at me with those sultry brown eyes of his. “Everything will be fine.”

...

Nick POV

I smoothed my hands down Charlene’s arms as we stood on the balcony of our penthouse hotel suite which looked over all of Oxford, the 4pm sun casting a beautiful light over the city. The city that had changed our lives.

Since neither of us had been able to let go of our Oxford apartment, we had decided to go through with renting it out, the memories being too strong to sell off.

Charlene had lots of friends in Oxford who had offered to let us stay with them, but as always Charlene hated being an inconvenience so instead we’d checked into a plush hotel on the outskirts of Oxford which gave us the ultimate privacy.

My attention was brought back to Charlene as she sighed and leant back against me, my arms moving to wrap around her front.

“It’s so strange that this isn’t my home anymore. Absolutely everything has changed. I mean, I lived here for five years and now I’ve set up camp with you all the way in Louisiana.”

“Do you miss Oxford?” I asked as I lay my chin on the top of her head, my arms still firmly around her.

“Yes but I’m enjoying our new adventure together. No doubt we’ll move on, either because of your job or if we just fancy a change, so it’s exciting.”

I honestly could not ask for a more understanding and supportive girlfriend. She was amazing.

I bent my head and pressed a kiss to her neck before nestling my face there, causing soft giggles to bubble from her lips. She lay her hand on the side of my face and I smiled at the gentle yet meaningful touch.

The back pocket of her jeans vibrated as her phone went off, causing her to jump in my arms.

“Someone’s a little jumpy today.” I chuckled into her neck, pressing a series of further gentle kisses there. I pulled out the phone from her pocket and handed it to her, double taking when I saw it was her dad calling.

“I wonder what he wants.” She frowned, knowing we’d already sent them the details about dinner that night. “Hello?” She continued to frown and turned in my arms to face me, placing her hand on my chest. “Why?” She bit her bottom lip and then sighed. “Fine.”

She pulled the phone from her ear and presented it to me. “He wants to talk to you.”

“Me?” I mouthed, frowning just like her. She nodded and slowly handed the phone to me, concern lacing her features.

“Hello?”

“Hello Nick.”

“Urm, hi John.” I said awkwardly, wondering why he was calling. Charlene placed her other hand on my chest and looked up at me vulnerably, clearly just as lost as I was.

“We need to talk in private.”

“Ok, but we still have dinner plans for tonight don’t we?”

“I said in private. I’m at the pub on the corner of Queens street so can you get here soon?”

I looked down at Charlene, her big brown eyes gazing up at me nervously, unable to hear what her dad was saying. She raised her eyebrows, her nose crinkling in the adorable way it always did.

“I’m leaving now.” I replied and without another word he hung up.

“What?” She asked quietly. “What’s going on?”

“I’m going out to meet up with your dad. He wants to talk to me in private.”

“B-but...why?”

“So we can talk without upsetting you or your mum. So he can be entirely honest with me.”

She slid her hands up to my hair and pulled my head softly down to hers, leaning forwards to press gentle kisses to my lips. “Thank you. Most people wouldn’t put up with all of this family drama so thank you.”

“I’m just evening out my past mistakes.”

“Well regardless of what he says, just remember that I love you so much and me and Bella will be waiting back here to give you a big cuddle when you get back.”

I smiled and kissed her strongly. “I look forward to it.” I pressed my lips to her forehead and closed my eyes at her soothing scent. “I’ll see you in a little bit.”

She nodded and smiled weakly at me, turning back to the view when I walked away. I gave her one final look before heading out of the door and preparing to enter the lions den.

...

We both took a long gulp of our beers as we stared at one another, challenge in both of our eyes. This was definitely not going to be easy.

“Let’s cut to the chase.” John began, placing his beer back on the table. “I miss my daughter.”

I too placed the beer down before leaning back in my chair and crossing my arms over my chest.

“She misses you too. Yes, it hurts her so much to know you don’t approve of us, but I know that it hurts even more to know that you haven’t even tried to make things work.”

John laughed coldly and copied my position and crossed his arms. “Oh, so this is all my fault?”

“No, we all know I am too blame more than anyone, but Charlene has been put through hell over the past few years and when things finally improve, she loses you. She needs a break.”

I saw his eyes soften slightly as I said this, knowing I’d hit home.

“She always put other people’s happiness first but she deserves her own happiness.”

“Charlene has always been like that.” He sighed, looking behind me and out onto the street. Charlene did that too; avoiding eye contact when she went deep in thought as if I could read her mind if she looked into my eyes.

“I understand that you hold my past against me, I probably would too if I were you. But you have to understand how much I love and treasure your daughter. She is everything to me.”

“It’s not just your past that makes us wary, it’s the world you are now living in.”

I brought my eyes back to his, his eyes cutting and harsh. I frowned and stared down at the wooden table, my eyes fixing on a pencil carving.

“You’re a professional athlete and let’s be honest; they are not exactly known for being the angels of the bunch. You are forever surrounded by practically naked women who fling themselves at you and that worries me. You’re a red blooded male and it’s only natural that-”

“You think I would make that same mistake again?” I scoffed. “Losing Charlene is the hardest thing that I have ever had to go through and I will never cause either of us so much pain ever again. I was drunk when I messed up and I’ve learnt from that. I will never hurt her like that again.”

I was amazed that he had sat and listened to me, not once interrupting or shutting me down.

“You’ve said. But in addition to that, Nicholas, there’s also the element of moving. Your job will force you two to uproot all the time and that’s not healthy. Charlene is a home soul. She loves making a house a home and it’s not fair to keep pulling her away when she makes a new life and new friends. As it is you took her from her friends in New York and Oxford and I will not stand by to see Charlene being isolated from everything and everyone but you.”

“It’s not like that. She was just as up for moving to Louisiana and we’ve agreed to stay for at least 3 years so we can settle and enjoy life there. Charlene is my number priority above everything else, including my job.”

I took the longest gulp of beer and put my now empty glass on the table. I looked over to see John’s glass also empty.

“Another?” I asked and he nodded. I stood and grabbed both of our glasses and headed for the bar and ordered two more beers. My phone vibrated in my back pocket as the barman poured out the drafts, concentrating on getting the head just right as if his life depended on it.

I love you x

I smiled and typed Charlene back a reply, continuing to smile warmly as I glanced at the caller id picture I had of Charlene, her big brown eyes shining back at me.

“Cheers.” I handed over the money and took the beers back to the table, noticing John staring out of the window in a trance, unaware of my return. He only snapped out of it when I waved my hand in front of his face, causing him to laugh softly.

“You ok?” I questioned, raising my eyebrows as I downed some of my drink.

“Just thinking.” He sighed and I waited for him to expand on it. He was still not looking directly at me and it took a while for him to turn his eyes to mine and share his thoughts. He and Charlene really were similar. “I was just thinking of a conversation I had with Charlene when she was only about 7 years old. You know how much Charlene loves disney films,” he looked directly at me, silently referring to her attachment to Peter Pan because of Jesse, “well we’d just finished watching Cinderella and she turned to me with that determined little face of hers and asked ‘Daddy, am I going to have a prince charming when I’m older too?’.” He chuckled and shook his head, a smile gracing his stern face for the first time during our meeting. “She’d looked at me so desperately, as if I knew for sure what her future would be.”

“What did you tell her?”

“I told her that there was no doubt in my mind that she would find her prince charming who would sweep her off her little feet and watch cartoons with her for the rest of her life.”

I chuckled and glanced down at my phone; at the background picture of Charlene and I smiling lovingly at one another which had been taken at a work function a few weeks back. She was my princess.

“But she told me she didn’t want to be old with a prince that only wanted to watch cartoons. She frowned and said she didn’t want a babyish prince charming.”

I laughed loudly and then so did he, throwing all awkwardness out of the situation that had been far too hostile for far too long.

“So she’s always been a one of a kind?” I laughed and he nodded.

“Oh yeah.”

His eyes fell onto my phone and he reached across the table for it, raising one eyebrow to check it was ok and I nodded. I watched as he stared at the background image of us, the look in his eyes changing as well as his posture and general attitude.

He slid the phone over to me and looked up at me in a way I hadn’t seen him do since our first meeting during high school. He was analysing me.

“You know, Nick, I’ve always wondered about you. I’ve always wondered why you wanted to be with my daughter because stereotypically, guys like you go for the malibu barbies with shit for brains.”

I jerked my head back at the bluntness of his words, realising this was yet another trait Charlene had once had; stereotyping people.

“Mr Howard, your daughter is stunning.”

“I know, but she’s got brains as well. You could just have easily have gone for a woman who was easy on the eyes and did everything you said, but you didn’t. She’s a tough little cookie is Charlene, but she’s real and is the furthest thing from a door mat. I respect that that is what you are after.”

A smile crossed my face just at the thought of her, her small little quirks and mannerisms that just made her my Charlene. She would always be the same seventeen year old girl who I fell in love with at first sight.

“That’s why I waited for all of those years. You have the most incredible daughter and I just need you to see how much I know that. I know how lucky I am that she has taken me back and I know how blessed I am to have ever met her. I will not apologise for coming back into her life because I will be honest, I came over to Oxford with the intention of winning her back. I know I handled it selfishly but when it comes to being with Charlene, I am extremely selfish because I love her so much. She’s in good hands, but I need you more than anything to please mend things with her. I accept that you may never like me again like you once did, but for Charlene’s sake please can you just try to be civil. She puts on this front like everything is fine, but you and me both know that she is in so much pain behind that mask. I want nothing more than for you two to be close again because I know how much she longs for that relationship again. She needs you.”

He sat in a calm silence, staring at me with his ice blue eyes which could scare the shit out of anyone. When on your side, he was the biggest supporter you could ask for, but if he opposed you, you were done for. It’s no wonder he was so successful in the army.

But he was a man that missed his princess. She was his weakness.

“All I want is for Charlene to be happy.” He sighed. “I’ve had to put my own reservations aside because at the end of the day, it’s her life. These past months have been a wake up call that she’s not my little girl anymore; she’s a woman. She knows what she wants and I have to accept that. She wants you and she always has.”

I slowly raised my beer to my lips, not dropping eye contact with him as he continued to stare. My throat had gone dry as he’d started speaking, the shocking reality hitting home...he was coming around.

“We all knew she would always have you in the back of her mind for as long as she lived. You are her first love and I had that puppy love with Charlene’s mother and I know what it’s like.” He let out a deep breath as if he too was coming to terms with his train of thought, “So I’m giving you and Charlene my blessing.”

Finally.

Little did I know, my shoulder had been tensed the entire conversation and only then did they relax and everything seemed better.

I stood and opened my arms slightly, only then remembering he wasn’t the hugging type.

This was going to be awkward being rejected by a middle aged man.

But to my surprise he stood and took me in a hug, his action surprising both of us.

“Thank you so so much.” I said once he’d released me. “You have no idea how much this means...to both of us.”

“Just one thing, Nicholas.” He still held onto my hand, his grip tightening. “If you hurt her I will hunt you down. She is everything to us and we will not let you get away with hurting her again.”

“Sir, you have my word.” I said quickly, not remembering the last time I had ever felt intimidated by someone else, let alone someone shorter than me.

“Good.” He let go of my hand and sat back in the booth, motioning for me to sit back down in my seat. But when I did I noticed once again his whole presence had changed. He was now relaxed and smiling, as if a load had been taken off of his shoulders too.

At the end of the day we both just wanted the same thing; to make Charlene happy.

“One other thing Nick...don’t get wrapped around her little finger too much.” He laughed. “She has a charm about her and the next thing you know, James Bond is off and mushy love films are on.”

I laughed and smiled at him, seeing my phone light up with a text from Charlene.

‘Everything ok? I miss you, come back soon x’

“I’m already wrapped firmly around her little finger.” I smiled. “And I’m absolutely loving it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Born to Live - Amy Meredith

Hello mateys! It has been a while but I’m finally back from my globe trotting which should mean more writing time right? Nope, I got my A grades so I got my place at my university and my boyfriend, aka the real life Nick, also got accepted there which I’m psyched about. But...that means Narlene will have to take a back seat.

My plan is to wrap this story up in a few chapters very very soon and then do Narlene one shots when I’m home for the holidays...thoughts on this? That way I can write when I get decent ideas, meaning better material. Yes or no buds?

So, this was a long one to make up for my absence. I hope you all enjoyed it. I haven’t proof read so I apologise for any mistakes.

I freaking love you guys!

www.twitter.com/lotte_williams

http://wonderlandstroller.tumblr.com/