The Trial of Mary Sue

“Princess Raven Nightshade-Darksilver, you are under the arrest for repeat offences as described under the Constitution of Literature Decree 091384. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law…” the officer droned for the umpteenth time that year, slapping handcuffs onto the frail girl’s wrists.

The youth’s enormous green eyes filled with tears. “No! You can’t do this! I haven’t done anything wrong – I can’tdo anything wrong.”

“Exactly,” Officer Burns grunted, shoving her into the car with a mutter to watch her head.

“B-but what do you mean?” the princess sobbed, ivory skin not blotching in the slightest, and not a strand of her inky black hair fell out of place.

The policeman’s junior partner, Officer McDoughal, scowled. She was not impressed, for Raven was the eighteenth arrest this week. The duo had hardly slept or showered the entire month, and it was beginning to take its toll. “Look missy, didn’t you hear Burns? You have the right to shut the hell up!”

“And to get a lawyer. Zoë, calm down. She can’t help it.” Augustus Burns rubbed his thick walrus moustache. As her senior, Burns was responsible for McDoughal, even if she was a bit of a hothead.

“Argh, just drive. Faster we get her out of trial and into jail the better.”