Status: Complete

Except One

Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing

Image

Regan coughed hoarsely, her throat was dry and sore still, three days later. She smiled, thanking Felin as he carried her a lily cup filled with sweet rain water. Felin, her fairy.

As soon as she had woken up, Regan needed no proof that Felin was the fizz to her laugh. He seemed to be the missing part of her identity that she had been missing the last seventeen years. She sighed, thinking of all the children that would never get to meet their fairy. Of all the fairies that would never find their laughs. What a waste. It made Regan sad.

She looked across at Peter, who was sitting on a thick bough of their tree, his legs swinging merrily. He whistled into his wind pipes, the sound high over the soft wind, pleasant to Regan’s ear. She didn’t think she could ever get tired of Peter’s music, it was her own prayer, a lullaby, a blessing. It made her feel warm. Everytime he played, she got that special feeling that he was playing just for her.

She touched her lips softly, remembering the feel of his on hers. That magic moment that had allowed her to remember. Nothing had been said about their kiss, Peter seemed to have forgotten. She sighed, she had expected him to forget. His life was full of so many adventured, it was hard for him to keep anything in his mind for so long. She believed the longest memory he had kept was those of his beloved Wendy when she was here in Neverland.

Would she ever be as good as Wendy? Would Peter ever look at her, love her, like he had with Wendy? Regan didn’t think so…but she was going to try her hardest to look after Peter, to show Peter that she would never forget him again.

She would never forgive herself for forgetting him. She would never forget the hurt look in his innocent eyes when she had not been able to remember his face, his voice, his smile. It would not happen again.

Before Regan knew it, night fell over Neverland. She blinked in surprise as the curtain of dusk dropped and Tinkerbell’s and Felin’s glow and fire became brighter, easy night lights to the two young people that looked around at Neverland at nighttime.

Peter stopped playing his music, content to listen to the sounds of the Island. To the sound of the several fairy dances that were going on and that Tink and Felin started to dance to merrily. They whizzed around their children’s heads, fizzing and tinkling in happiness.

Regan loved Neverland at night. It was her favourite time and nothing could ever compare to its beauty. Nothing.

She looked up at Peter who was suddenly standing before her, holding out his hand. He said nothing but she knew the procedure, smiling and placing her small hand in his, ignoring the butterflies that were erupting in her stomach at his touch.

He flew slowly and gently in the air, allowing her to relax, close her eyes and feel the wind beneath her body, holding her up ever so gently, kissing her with light caresses. This was where she belonged, here in Neverland with the ever so wonderful Peter Pan.

They landed lightly on another tree, thick with fairies that buzzed around their heads joyfully, conversing with Tinkerbell and Felin and inviting them to dance.

As before, Regan looked out on Neverland with Peter, but this time she was bolder, resting her head against his shoulder. She felt him look at her but he didn’t object instead, put a tentative arm around her body and rested his own curly head on top of her own.

They stayed in silence for a moment before Peter spoke
“Regan…what is…love?”

Regan froze, raising her head and looking at Peter “Love?”

Peter nodded “Yes…it is talked about so much…but what is it? What is to be in love?”

Regan smiled “I honestly don’t know Peter…I’ve never been in love before. I guess you know when you’re with that person”

Peter looked at her “How?”

Regan shrugged “I guess it…never wanting to be apart from that person. Feeling them closer, feels right, like your soul has found its final piece. I suppose its different with every person but taking and loving that person, even with the bad things…that’s love.”

Peter smiled “Ah...okay…”

They were so close, their faces almost touching and Regan resisted the urge to trace Peters deliciously curled mouth with her finger, to press her soft lips against his. To hold him close.

Without warning, Peter took her into the air again, spinning her around.

“Peter!” Regan laughed loudly.

Peter pulled her closer to him, grasping her waist and twirling them in the air slowly “Don’t be afraid Regan” he whispered softly into her ear “I’ll never, ever let you fall”

Regan smiled into Peters shoulder and stayed where she was, breathing in his windy, leafy scent. Only one person smelled like that, like they had ridden on the backs of the wind, of hundreds of carefree summers fighting pirates and flying with faeries. Peter Pan.

They stopped, stationary in the air and Peter smiled “look” he whispered.

Regan looked down and gasped in shock. Peter was no longer holding onto her, instead she was balancing in the air all on her own. She was flying.
“I did it Peter...I’m flying!”

Peter whooped, somersaulting in the air.

“My happy thought Peter…” Regan whispered

“What is it? Mermaids? Fighting? Cake?!” Peter asked

Regan shook her head, grasping Peters hand “It’s you”
♠ ♠ ♠
Click!One of my fave scenes ever!!!
She flies!
I want to fly :( they're always the best dreams...to fly far far away...to Neverland :)