‹ Prequel: Break Myself

There's Things That Aren't Worth Giving Up

Pet

Natalia stepped out of her car which was parked outside of her father’s house. She had gotten back to Chicago about an hour ago, and after taking a cab from the airport to her apartment and dropping her bags off there, she drove over to John’s house.

She had called John on the way, telling him that she was back in Chicago and that she was coming over to his house. She had asked him what he needed to talk about, but he had kept quiet on that matter, telling her that he would explain everything when she got there. That only stressed her out more, making her wonder what could possibly be so bad that he couldn’t tell her over the phone.

She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, and she grabbed it, reading the text from Marty that told her to call him when she left John’s place. She quickly texted him back telling him that she would, and she rang the doorbell to John’s house. Moments later, John opened the door, pulling Natalia into a hug. “Natalia, I’m glad you’re here.”

“Thanks, Dad,” Natalia said, returning the hug. “So, what was so important that I had to fly back from Minnesota so you could tell me?” she asked, as he ushered her into the living room.

“I wanted to talk to you about Marty,” John began.

“What about him?” Natalia questioned. “About how he was traded to Minnesota and you couldn’t even warn me?”

“Natalia, you know that I had no say in that matter.”

“What were you going to say about Marty?” Natalia asked, ignoring his statement.

“I don’t think you should date Marty anymore,” John stated.

Natalia’s eyes grew wide. “What?” she yelled. “Why not? You said you were fine with us dating! It took you forever to be fine with us dating, and now you’re telling me to break up with him? Why?” she questioned.

“Yes, I was okay with your relationship when he was playing in Chicago. But, now that he’s in Minnesota, I don’t think it would be a wise decision on your part. Think about it, Natalia. I work for Chicago, and Marty now plays for Minnesota. Someone’s going to think that you’re playing both sides, that you could have inside information about the Blackhawks and giving it to Minnesota.”

“That is absolutely ridiculous!” Natalia exclaimed. “I have no ‘inside information’,” she said, making air quotes when she said those words. “And, no one’s going to think that I’m playing both sides! What’s the truth? Why don’t you really want me dating Marty?” she questioned, her voice still loud with anger.

“I just think…” he trailed off, looking at her hands. “Is that an engagement ring?” he questioned, grabbing her hand and inspecting the ring. “Are you engaged?”

“Yeah, Dad,” she admitted, nodding her head. With everything that had happened and all of the commotion, she hadn’t even remembered to tell her father the good news. But, now it appeared that was for the best, as John looked furious.

“When the hell did this happen?” he screamed.

“Our last night in Prague,” Natalia answered.

“Oh,” John said. “So, after he found out that he was traded.”

“What are you trying to say?” Natalia questioned.

“Don’t you just find it a little weird that he would propose after he found out that he was going to Minnesota?” John asked, and Natalia shook her head, about to say something when John cut her off. “Natalia, he’s using you to get inside information.”

“Are you delusional?” Natalia screamed. “What the hell are you on? He had this planned before he knew he was going to be traded. He had the ring and everything.”

“He’s trying to take you from me,” John stated.

“No, you’re doing that on your own,” Natalia argued.

“Natalia, I forbid you from dating Marty, let alone marrying him. It’s not right for you to do that when we work for different teams.”

“You forbid me?” Natalia questioned. “I am twenty-seven years old. I have been in the Army, and served my country. I have watched the man that I love die right in front of me. I have been through post traumatic stress disorder. And, I have finally found a guy that I love with all my heart and want to spend the rest of my life with. And, you think you can forbid me from marrying him? You’re wrong,” she told him. “I am an adult, and I can make my own decisions.”

“Natalia, are you choosing Marty over your own father?” John asked.

“Don’t ask me to choose,” Natalia said. “Don’t give me an ultimatum, Dad. Because I can tell you right now that if you do, I will choose Marty. There is no doubt in my mind about that,” she stated, grabbing her purse and walking straight out of the house to her car.

“Don’t you dare think about going back to him, Natalia! Don’t you realize you’re splitting this family up?” he screamed after her, walking outside and watching her get into her car.

“You’re splitting this family up,” Natalia spoke, shutting her car door and starting her car, immediately backing out of the driveway and driving to her apartment. She walked inside, sighing when she saw the unpacked suitcases that were sitting in the living room from when she had gotten back from Prague. She hadn’t had time to unpack before she and Marty had left for Minnesota. She glanced at the clock on the wall, seeing that it was close to eleven at night, meaning it was midnight in Minnesota. She debated whether she wanted to call Marty or not, especially with how upset she was, and she finally decided it would probably be good for her to at least hear his voice. She picked up her phone, dialing his number.

“Natalia?” he answered, and she could tell she had woken him up from the sound of his voice.

“Sorry,” she immediately apologized. “I was hoping you hadn’t gone to sleep yet. Let me let you go and you can go back to bed,” she told him, clenching her fists to try to release all of the anger she held for her father at the moment, something she had learned when she had gone to therapy after coming back from Afghanistan.

“No, Nat, I’m up now,” he told her, and Natalia felt bad for waking him up. She was sure that he had a busy day tomorrow, and he needed as much sleep as he could get. “How’d everything go with your dad?” he asked.

“Umm,” Natalia began, debating whether she wanted to tell him what John had said. “Why don’t we talk about that when you get back here?” she requested.

“Nat, what’d he say?” he asked, knowing something was wrong.

“Really, Marty, can we talk about it when you get back to Chicago?” she asked.

“Natalia,” he practically yelled, and she knew he was going to win the battle.

She rubbed her forehead with her free hand, trying to figure out how she was going to explain the whole argument she had had with John. “My dad wanted to talk to me about my relationship with you,” she answered honestly, intentionally leaving out the part where John had told her to break things off with him.

“And?” Marty urged her to continue.

“And what?” she asked.

“What else did he say?” Marty questioned.

“Really, he just wanted to talk about our relationship,” Natalia assured him.

“Nat, I know you’re not telling me the whole truth, and I don’t know why. But, I’m too tired to argue with you right now, so I’ll let it go until I get back to Chicago. But, when I do get back there, you are going to tell me everything, okay?” he told her.

“Yeah,” Natalia sighed.

“I love you, Nat. You know that, right?” he asked.

“Of course I know that,” Natalia said, wondering why he had asked her that. “I love you, too,” she added.

“I’m sorry to hang up, but I need to get some sleep. I’ll see you in a couple days.”

“Bye, Marty,” she said hanging up. She sat the phone down next to her, trying to figure out how Marty would react to John’s ultimatum.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?