We're Here to Take Your Hearts

FOURTEEN

Clarissa was up in her room, gathering all her stuff together.

"I can't believe you. He wanted to keep you and you're gonna run off to Charlene's?" Sarah spoke bitterly.

"He thinks he wants to keep me, but it's not true. Just how he adopted me. He thought he wanted to adopt me, but that all changed once I got here. And everything will change when I leave. He'll realizehe doesn't want me and will send me back."

"Why can't you go back yourself?" Sarah spat.

"I need his permission, unless I want him to go to jail. But I wouldn't do that."

"Whatever, hurry up and leave. And here..." Sarah ripped the bracelet from her wrist, "Take it, I don't want it." She turned out of the room and slammed her door.

Clarissa could hear the owls outside her window. It was nighttime now. She finished packing her backpack and grabbed her sticks. On her bed she left the bracelet, the Stay Gold hoodie, the Sidekick, and her hopes.

She wiped away one last tear and walked down the stairs. She walked past the living room, where Pete sat just staring at the wall. She past the kitchen where Ryan and Brendon were standing silently. She past the office where William and Jon were sitting quietly looking at the clock.

She reached the door and walked out. She kept her key, as a reminder of how she left this place behind. She walked down the steps and was in her way to Charlene's house.