Status: The End :)

Under the Public Eye

Never

----Nick couldn't help but miss her.----

I heard the soft click of the door shutting and closed my eyes before reaching for my phone.

9:45pm.

I tossed my phone onto the couch and let an arm rest on my forehead for fifteen minutes.

It's never too late.

I sat up slowly, the wheels of my mind turning and smiled, getting up quickly and checked the time again. 10:02pm. I grinned and bolted out of my room with a towel. The dance ended at eleven -- I had enough time.

After a quick shower, I made my way back to my room when Kevin smiled at me, holding a newly ironed black suit and red tie. I grinned and took the suit and headed to my room to change before walking into Joe's room. My black dress shoes covered my feet snugly as they clashed against the hardwood floors.

"Thanks guys," I grinned. "I'm sorry about earlier. How'd you guys get the suit?"

Joe nodded and tossed me my keys. "No problem. As for the suit, we ironed yours while you were in the shower."

Drew snorted. "Actually, I ironed it. Joseph nearly burnt the fabric!"

He huffed and pouted. "I said I was sorry!"

I chuckled and left the room, thanking Kevin as I passed him in the hall.

I slipped into my black Mustang and gripped the steering wheel tightly before turning the key. Nervous wouldn't be the only word to describe how I felt at the moment as I pulled out of the driveway. I was paranoid (with good reason) and agitated. I mean, what if she rejects me? I glanced at the rear view mirror and noticed two black cars tail me.

Paparazi.

I surprisingly, didn't feel as irked as I would normally have and smiled to myself. I don't care anymore.

I don't. I don't care if anyone knew, in fact, I wanted them to. I wanted everyone to know that Maria Ray Winters was mine. Mine to hold, mine to cherish. Mine to love. I smirked to myself as an overwhelming sense of confidence flooded through me as I pulled onto the freeway and the cars continued to tail me as I made my way to Belmont View Hotel.

I had a party to crash.

I had quickly pulled out my phone and dialed an unfamiliar number, waiting for him to pick up as I turned on my bluetooth. Hearing the ringing start, I closed my phone and tossed it lightly on the seat next to me, switching lanes.

"Hello?" came the skeptic voice. In the background, loud music chorused over his voice, the voices of excited teens made itself clear.

I smiled, "It's Nick," I told him. I could imagine the frown placed on his face as he moved away from the noise.

"How'd you get my number?" he interrogated.

"I had my security guard find out," I answered calmly. "Listen, I need you to do me a favor."

He scoffed, "Why should I?"

"You just should," I smirked.

----Maria really hoped she was dreaming.----

Bret sat next to me at our table, watching as his friends danced on the dance floor. I smiled apologetically as I wiped Kale's face of the remains of his dinner, "I'm so sorry. You can go dance you know. I don't mind."

He shook his head with a smile as Britney and Adam (his best friends) came back to the table. Britney cooed at Kale while he giggled and reached out for her. Adam had shoved us in the direction of the dance floor Kale waved good bye to me and I laughed, letting Bret pull us into the center of the dance floor.

Wait For You by Eliot Yamin began to play and Bret slipped his arms around my waist after leading my hands to rest on his shoulders. He rested his hands on my hips gently, both of us swaying as we listened to the music.

He smiled down sadly at me, "Are you enjoying the dance?"

I shrugged and let out a smile, "Yeah. This is actually my first school event I've been to. It's kind of crazy actually."

He chuckled, "What? Didn't think it would be this fun?"

I shook my head, "Nah, honestly. I just thought it would be a drag."

Bret grinned smugly and cocked his head to the left. "It's fun, cause I'm here."

I let out a laugh and nodded sarcastically, "Yes. Yes, it's fun becase you're here."

Sensing my sarcasm he rolled his eyes and spun me around as another slow song started to play. Pulling me into our previous stance, we swayed again.

"Can I ask you a quick question? And you have to answer," he suddenly said, staring down at me. I smiled and gave a nod of my head, waiting for him to continue. "What does Nick have, that I don't?"

My breath was caught in my throat and I gasped, shaking my head dubiously, "I -- I'm sorry, what did you just say?"

He sighed and looked down at me, "Answer my question Em, I know you heard it."

I blinked and stared down at our shuffling feet as we moved on the floor, "Bret, where is this coming from?"

He shrugged, "You'll get your answer, when I get mine."

I gripped his shoulders before letting go a bit and allowed myself to relax. How do I answer that?

What does Nick have that Bret doesn't?

Honestly, they're a lot a like. Sporty, good looking, humorous, kind and trustworthy. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two except for their hair color (Nick had brown hair, Bret had dirty brown hair) and their last names. I cleared my throat but said nothing until I let out a sigh, "I honestly don't know."

He frowned, "You don't know?"

I nodded and moved to look up at him before finding the floor once more, "I don't know. You're a like, a whole lot and you guys don't even know it. You both love sports and I know I can trust you guys. I guess I just..."

Brown eyes narrowed down at me, "Say it," he urged. "I know you love him already! Just tell me. I need to hear it from you so I can move on."

I shook my head and looked up at him, "Bret I just can't." I swallowed the lump in my throat and let out a small tear, "I'm sorry."

He cringed and pulled me into his embrace, wiping the tear away and apologized profusely. "Don't be. I'm sorry for pushing you. Look," he started, pulling away from me, cradling my cheek in his palm. "I understand you love Nick. And I'm okay with that. Honestly, I just hope that we can still be friends; as I've noticed Nick is a little jealous."

I let out a laugh and smiled up at him. "Thank you." I continued to dance with him, resting my head on his shoulder as we swayed to the song. I looked up to find him nod to someone across the room but shrugged it off.

Soon, the song ended and Brown Eyes from Destiny's Child came on. I looked around as Bret smiled and pulled away, stepping off of the dance floor and walked away. I began to follow when he motioned for me to just stay there, I shrugged but stayed anyway. I turned to look around me again and my brows furrowed in confusion as I steadily saw a pathway build; the students parting, allowing someone to walk through. My eyes trailed up from the shiny black dress shoes to the creases on the black slacks. Slowly but surely, my brown pools met another pair and widened.

I stood there gaping at Nick as he smiled at me, taking ever step closer. I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked up at him as he pulled me into his chest. I started to open my mouth to say something but was cut off by a pair of soft, lucious lips. My eyes drifted shut and I kissed back, smiling to myself as the sparks started to fly. Flashes could be heard going off but Nick and I ignored it. He pulled away with a breathless smile. "I knew it," he whispered, leaning his forehead against mine. The gossip had already began, as I knew, when Nick had waltzed in through the door, heading straight for the dance floor.

I pulled away and shook my head in confusion. "What are--"

He quickly pressed his lips against mine before pulling away with another grin. "Hear me out first."

I could see flashes of camera's go off, both from the student body and the small group of paparazi that had gathered around us. My eyes shot around the room, watching as there was a small circle around us, most of them paying attention as the superstar stood in front of a nobody while others decided to continue on with their night. I cleared my throat and started to pull away, recalling his words of not wanting the media to know about me. I pushed at his chest lightly but he only shook his head, curls bouncing as he pulled me closer. I gasped, "Nick, they're staring."

He buried his nose in the crook of my neck, inhaling my Tommy Girl perfume deeply. I felt him smile, "Let them stare," he grinned smugly. "I don't care."

My heart stopped and I let him hold me, leading me through the song. "What?"

Stopping, He hooked a finger under my chin, making me look up at him. Tears started to brim my eyes and I silently thanked MAC for making waterproof eyeliner and mascara; Nick, seeing my unshed tears, tensed. He let out the breath he had been holding in when he saw the small grin that spread across my lips.

The way we held each others hand,
the way we talked, the way we laughed
it felt so good to find true love
I knew right then and there you were the one


"I want the world to know," he smiled. "I don't care anymore. When I saw you leave with Bret, I was so mad at myself. I envied Bret for his confidence; not caring what other people would say," he wiped away my tears and pulled me into his chest again, my arms finding their way around his neck as his wrapped around my waist. "I don't care anymore. I honestly can't promise you that it's going to be smooth sailing from here, but I will promise you that I'll do my absolute best to keep you from crying, from hurting, from not smiling. I'll do my best to be a good figure for your son. But just promise me one thing."

I sighed in happiness and nodded, "What would that be?"

Kissing the top of my head, Nick let out an airy chuckle, "Promise me that you won't leave me, unless you have to."

I nodded against his chest, before pulling away and kissing his lips. The flashes started again and cheering had began to ensue. "I promise."

I know that he loves cause he told me so
I know that he loves me cause his feelings show
When he stares at me you see he cares for me
You see how he is so deep in love
I know that he loves me cause it's obvious
I know that he loves me cause it's me he trust
and he's missing me if he's not kissing me
and when he looks at me his brown eyes tell it so


----Nick has everything; he doesn't need anything else.----

"How'd you get in?" Maria asked as we watched Kale rush to the Jonas door once he set his feet on the ground. I shook my head and opened the door, Kale rushing in to tackle Joe and Kevin who were playing Guitar Hero in the living room. Joe squealed and slipped off the guitar before picking up Kale, lifting him up above his head.

"I'm not telling you," I grinned, silently thanking Bret. When I called him, asking for his help, he was shocked and mad that I'd ask him to do such a thing. Then I explained how I truly felt for Maria. He was skeptical, but relented. One of his friends had met me downstairs and snuck me in. "But Bret did help."

She pouted cutely and I laughed, kissing her cheek. Blushing, she glared at me befre allowing a small smile to grace her beautiful face. Joe put down a squealing Kale, joining Kevin as they were grinning like a mad men once they realized that Maria and I were finally a couple, my arm around her waist pulling her close to me. Kale giggled and began to run to me, holding out his hands. "Da." I looked down and grinned picking up Kale into my arms, kissing his cheek.

----Maria had her happily ever after.----
My heart was undoubtedly soaring as I looked at my little family. Nick pulled me along, bringing me upstairs while Joe and Kevin high-fived in celebration. "I knew it! We bad! We so bad!"

I rolled my eyes and followed Nick, walking into his room. He gave me a shirt and a pair of plaid pajama pants I could use. Taking them with a small kiss, Nick worked on changing Kale into his clothes that were left in his baby bag in a corner. When I came back, Kale was sleeping next to Nick who had also changed. I smiled and set the folded dress on his dresser and crawled into bed with them, Kale in the middle.

A knock on the door sounded and Denise poked her head through the door with a wide grin. Letting herself in, she smiled down at us. "So the boys weren't lying," she said with satisfaction. "I'm glad you two are finally together."

I smiled, "So are we."

We laughed and Kale shifted before relaxing into his slumber again. "Sweetie, Paul and I will take him tonight. Just don't do anything - although I know you two won't!"

With Nick's nod of approval, she reached in and took Kale out of the room, whispering a goodnight to us as she shut the door.

"You know," Nick smiled as he situated himself on his bed, getting comfortable. He pulled me into his arms, letting my hands fall across his abdomen as my head rested on his chest, listening to his steady beating heart. "This is good."

I let out a laugh and looked up at him, "Oh really? I bet you're starting to regret asking me to be yours," I teased lightly. "You now have a kid to look after."

His eyes softened and smiled, kissing me lightly. "Never would I regret this. Never. Did you get what you wanted for your birthday?"

I smiled and nodded thinking back to the wish I had made on my fifteen birthday only a year ago, "All I wanted, and more." Wishes do come true.

He pulled me closer and I snuggled into his embrace "Good," he mumbled tiredly. "I love you."

I let a smile grace my lips.

"And I love you."

Although I was uncertain of much things, like what the future would bring, I knew one thing for certain. I love Nicholas Jerry Jonas, and I knew that I would never stop.
♠ ♠ ♠
...Happily. Ever. After. :)

The end. Did you like it?