‹ Prequel: My Little Cheesecake
Sequel: My Little Xmas

My Little Raspberry

8 ; -

“Gwen? Sammy? Open up for God’s sake. I’ve been standing here for fifteen minutes, and I know you’re in there. Just open the fucking door.” Betty was fully aware she might have been disturbing some resting old lady on the floor bellow, but she couldn’t really care. She was eager to hear about what they’d been up to the night before. The door started to open, slowly but safe.

“You realize the clock is only near one in the afternoon and I’ve still got company?” a sleepy Sam said where she stood in the doorway, only wearing a pair of knickers and the drummers t-shirt from yesterday.

“Uh-huh,” Betty said making her way past Sam into the apartment. “Is Gwen sleeping or what?”

“Gwen? I don’t really think she’s here. She’s not in her room anyway. And if you don’t mind, please don’t tell Mary of what we did in her room, because we will clean it later.” Betty shrugged at the prayer.

“I suppose she got lucky with that guy from this night, then.” This was news to Sammy.

“She met a dude?”

“Yeah, it was some random guy that Brendon picked out for her just before he left with a woman, and they seemed to click so they left after a while. Maybe she’ll call later.”

“So it looks like you were the only one who didn’t manage to score tonight.”

“What do you know about that?”

“Well, Chris is a monk, so it didn’t look promising there, and you’re not the cheating type, so we’ll just leave it there.”

“The movie was still good.”

“Whatever.” Sam was heading back to the room where her catch was still sleeping peacefully.

“Why the fuck do you have the key to the apartment anyway?” Betty yelled out.

“You don’t need to wake him up!” she hissed. “I’ve got Mary’s.”

“Oh.” Betty had her attention on checking the mail Gwen had gotten; some bills, advertisements and the price list for the ice-cream truck that came every Wednesday. Her heart jumped when the phone rang close to her ear. Before she had time to react Sammy had gripped the phone from her hand and pressed the green button.

“Yo, what’s up etcetera?”

“Am I speaking to Samantha Houston?”

“Yes, it’s her.”

“I’m calling from Desert springs hospital medical center.” Sammy’s heart dropped just that second. “We’ve got a patient here called Gwen Mildred, and when asked about someone we could call I was reported to call to this address.”

“Thank you so much. We’re on our way.” Betty was analyzing Sam’s face from the second she hung up, and she wasn’t very fond of it.

“What’s really up?”

“Oh my God, something’s happened to Gwen. It was Desert calling, and they said she was there. We have to go there right now.” Betty was up from her seat before she had finished the sentence. Sammy rushed into the room where Matt still lay in the bed and grabbed her pants. She wrote a sloppy note which explained where they’d gone and how he could make him some breakfast when he woke up. Betty wasn’t telling Sammy to hurry up, it was clear she knew about that herself.

The ride to the hospital took about twenty minutes if the took every short cut they would come to think of, but both of them found the ride being an unnecessarily long way. Before Betty had even stopped the car, Sammy was out on her way toward the main entrance.

“Where is she?!” she cried when she got to the desk.

“Who are you looking for?” a nurse asked her politely. It made Sammy get a little grip of herself.

“I’m looking for Gwen Mildred. She apparently came in this morning. We would like to see her right now.”

“Oh, you’re Samantha. I’ll follow you to her room.”

“What happened?” Betty asked, feeling extremely helpless.

“Well, a couple came in with her early this morning. They’d found her laying in the park, half of her clothes torn from her body, unconscious and frozen pretty bad. She must been laying there half the night if you looked at her body temperature.” It nearly broke both of the women’s hearts to hear that. They could literally hear the crack.
_

Gwen had tilted her head back toward the cushion, trying desperately to forget all the things she could remember from the night. He had raped her, and then really just left her there to freeze to death. She really had no clue how she woke up in a bed next time she opened her eyes, but she felt an enormous bliss. The couple that had found her, a man and a woman just over 50 was still sitting next to her bed and they were the first thing she saw. Her mind told her not to talk but her conscience forced her to praise them for what they’d done for her. She wasn’t really waiting for anything now, except for maybe Sam or Betty, or even Brendon to come and visit her, which she knew wouldn’t make her happier. She actually didn’t even want them to see her as this, this dirty. Her finger made its way to the button for calling the nurse.

“What can I do for you?”

“If anybody comes to see me, just tell them I don’t want any visitors. It doesn’t feel right.” She could feel the nurse giving her look of sympathy. Now she was alone again.
_

“What does she mean by ‘no visitors’?” Sammy shrieked. Betty was trying to stay calm; she was after all the psychological one.

“Gwen has been through something extremely unthinkable for the two of us, Sam; I can only imagine how bad she must feel about herself. Just give her some time to reconsider. She’ll let us in by the end of the day.”

“But, but… what if I need to see her right now? She’s the only big sister I have, that I’ll ever have.” Sammy was feeling like a little girl again, and not like the 21-year-old woman she was supposed to be.

“I know, honey. It’s hard on me too. Let’s just try being a little positive at least. She’s not dead after all.”

“Okay, that’s a good thing. Check.”

“And then there’s, shit… I forgot to turn my cell phone of.” It had started to vibrate in her pocket, so she really had no other choice but to answer. A nurse pointed out that it really should have been turned off when they’d entered.

“What is it?” Betty was rubbing her forehead in distress.

“What happened to the nice ways of answering a phone?”

“Oh Brendon, it’s you.”

“Who else? Why isn't Gwen answering her phone? I told her I was going to call.”

“Just get to Desert as soon as possible.”

”Okay, su-, wait, the hospital?”

“Sadly yes.”

“What’s happened?”

“I really don’t want to explain it over a cell phone, so just get here.” She didn’t even bother to say goodbye, but hung up on him. The next half hour they just sat there, waiting. Betty was getting a little panic for Brendon showing up at any moment. She knew he was going to take this really hard.