Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

Jealousy Is A Complex Thing

Zach picked me up from school that afternoon. As I walked to meet him at his car there was a small crowd of girls surrounding it. A sting of jealousy hit me. I hugged my book bag to my chest and pushed through.

"Excuse me." I grumbled dryly as I shoved passed the girls. Zach was leaning against his car just like he had yesterday night. His face perked right up when he saw me. Scarlett's words rang through my head.

"Hey." He smiled and came to stand beside me. I received a few harsh glares as the group slowly disperse. "You know how I told you my... parents... uh... passed away... well I've actually found my cousin." He revealed.

I grinned. "Wow, awesome!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah I know... I did some digging last night and I found her. Shes coming to visit me tomorrow, she might stay for a while." He said over the buzz of the engine.

"Oh..." So his cousin was a 'she'. I'm such an idiot, its his cousin for gods sake, I shouldn't be jealous! "Well you two have a great time." I muttered staring out the window. We were going to Lake St Clair to meet with the others.

"Yeah we will but uh... I was wondering..." He paused for a moment.

"Yes?" I pressed.

"Nothing..." He mumbled, looking away. He parked by the lake and we walked in silence to the tree we had sat under the first time we had come here together.

"Wow, lots of memories here." I breathed as we sat together under the branches of the old Weeping Willow.

"Yeah... the uh guys will be here soon..." He muttered nervously.

"Are you okay?" I asked, turning my head towards him.

He laughed. "Yeah... I'm totally fine..." He immediately looked away. "Rhi." He suddenly said.

"Yes?" A voice in the back of my head was telling me to be prepared.

"Are you busy Wednesday?" He wondered, not looking at me. Oh, my, god. He's actually asking me.

"Uh... no... why?" My lips were tight with anticipation.

"Er... how would you like to... uh..."

"Are you sweating?" I asked peering closer.

"Will you go to dinner with me?" He gushed. I was expecting it but it still took me by surprise.

"D-dinner?" I stammered.

"Its just that Luke's taking Tiarne to dinner and I don't want to be a third wheel..." He explained still nervous. "Well you don't have to go if you don't want to, I can easily just tell him I'm busy because-"

I covered his mouth with my hand, he kept muffling into my hand until I stared him down. "Its okay. I'll come." I agreed giving him a quick smile.

"Really?!" He muffled into my hand.

I removed my hand with a laugh. "Yes."

He beamed but said nothing.

***
After grueling hours of training I had managed to shoot a gun without injuring anyone. Scarlett found me hilarious to watch and Zach said I looked cute, so everyone had fun. Zach gave me a lift home and the last thing I remembered was my body collapsing on my bed.

I woke to the dim sunshine seeping in through my half drawn curtains. I sprung up from my bed, excited to be seeing Zach again. But I was knocked back down when I realized he would be hanging out with his cousin all day, with that sinking in I felt like staying in bed the whole day. But I dragged my sorry ass out and got dressed mechanically.

I made it to school with just enough time to sprint across the rain soaked car park and fall on my ass twice, it was extremal embarrassing seeing as most of the classes got to see my circus act. I stumbled into class late and sat beside Hannah.

"God you look like you've been through hell." She snickered peering at my soaked purple skinnys.

"Shut up." I grumbled. Today would only get worse. I payed little attention Mr Kurt, I spent more of my time scribbling in my note book trying to pass them time. I didn't know what I brothered, I wouldn't see Zach anyway. I sighed at this and thankfully the bell rang boisterously. I was out of my seat and no I didn't go to my next class. Nope, I walked to my car got in it and cruised away. When I came to a stop light I rummaged through my book back until I found the black gun. I looked up and almost choked to death with I saw Zach with his 'cousin'. I felt more than a sting of jealousy now, I felt like someone had shoved their hand through my heart.

- ZACH'S POV (MR JERK) -

"So how did you know my parents? Mum and dad said they had no other relatives..." I asked Carmen.

She looked nervous. "Uh... its complicated..." She mumbled. "So why don't you tell me about yourself...? About you friends." She prodded, eying me.

I frowned to myself. "Nothing much to tell..." I scrutinized her face, she was such a pretty cousin.

"Well what about girls." She winked with a laugh, I didn't say anything. "Oh c'mon you can tell me." She grinned.

I suppressed a laugh. "Well there is this girl." Rhiannon's face popped up in my head sending my heart racing.

"And who is she?!" Carmen squealed.

"Her names Rhiannon Balker." I mumbled looking away, sure my cheeks were going crimson.

"Balker?" She choked, going wide eyed.

"Uh, yeah... is something wrong?" I wondered staring at her twisted face. A flash of anger crossed her expression before disappearing.

"Er... no, I'm fine." She muttered. "Listen Zach, I need to go. Can we meet up again tomorrow and maybe you can introduce me to Rhiannon, then dinner maybe?" She tilted her head to the side like a little puppy dog.

"Sure." I enthused. I had so many more questions, we had barely spoken today.

"I'll meet you and Rhiannon at Lake Saint Claire near the cafe." She told me. Before I could look up she was gone.

- RHIANNON'S POV -

There was a scraping of fingers against my bedroom window, it was ten thirty at night and I was reading. I was scared to open the window until I saw Zach sitting in the branches of the tree next to my window, he smiled pleasantly when I shoved open the window.

"Hello." He smiled.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded folding my arms across my chest.

"I'm here to see you." He said simply.

"Oh..." I felt warmth passing through my body at his words. "well do you want to come in?" I offered, stepping back from the window. He only shook his head but shuffled forward slightly.

"I was wondering if you would meet my cousin Carmen, she really wants to meet you, will you please, please come!" He begged coming to the window.

I laughed. "Okay sure, I'll come." I agreed.

"Thank you!" He hollered. "And don't worry I wont forget dinner with-" He paused, eyes wide.

"Okay... listen I've gotta get some sleep or I'll never meet this Carmen. Night." I fare welled ignoring his sudden pause.

"Uh... yeah okay I'll pick you up tomorrow morning." He muttered swinging off the branch. I shut my windows with a little extra force just to get it down, then I sunk onto my bed, my head whirling.

***

Mum watched me in a confused state as I ran back and forth throughout the house yelling out for my jacket. "Where did you put it!" I yelled.

Mum laughed. "Your wearing it..."

"Oh." I looked at my outfit to see may black and white checkered jacket. Mum continued to laugh softly as I sprinted out the door. "Bye mum!" I called back to her.

"Bye." She shouted. Just as I'd expected Zach was casually leaning against his car door like he always did, his expression was sullen but a smile came to his face as he saw me rush down the porch steps.

"Hello Miss Balker." He greeted with an amused grin.

"Hello." I replied opening the passenger door. We both got into the car and in no time at all we were rolling towards our destination.

"Your going to love Carmen, shes really great." He encouraged. His excitement did nothing to block out the horrible jealousy crushing my chest.

"Mmm..." I grumbled staring out the window. It had seemed like we had gone to Lake Saint Clair together many times, in many was it felt like it was our special place. Sharing it with his cousin even left me red in the face. It was relatively sunny today, it looked less damp that usual. We arrived by the lake by midday.

Zach pointed to a girl staring off at the glistening waters. "Thats her." He informed. I nodded wordlessly, I took longer than usual to get out of the car, my limbs felt stiff. She was his only family and I was meeting her, what would she think of me?! God, the pressure was getting to me. "Relax." He soothed, his hand brushing mine. I nodded taking deep breathed. "Are you seriously nervous?" He sounded amused.

"Yes?!" I shrieked.

"Calm down." He pleaded taking my hand.

I decided to be blunt. "How can I calm down when you keep doing that, saying that. Ugh!" I groaned staring at our intertwined hands.

He chuckled loudly. "So do I always make you sweat bullets like you are now?" He wondered, sounding even more amused.

"Sometimes more." I admitted shyly. He laughed and then I froze like ice when his 'cousin' half turned. It was the officer who had questioned me the afternoon after Liam and Zach's shoot out in my front lawn. Luckily she hadn't seen us so I took the opportunity to interrogate Zach.

"Is something wro-" He began.

"Where did she say she was from?" I rasped pulling Zach behind the closest tree.

"Washington, why?" He hissed.

"I know her?!" I shrilled biting my lip.

"How?" He asked peeking at her from behind the tree.

"She was one of the police officers that questioned me after your shoot out with Liam at my place." I gushed.

He frowned, trying to find fault with my statement. "You must have mistaken her for someone else, shes my cousin and its impossible for her to be a police officer here if shes from Washington. Don't worry, your just nervous." He shoved me out from behind the tree. I glowered at his innocent face and stomped towards 'Carmen'. I growled at the name.

"I'm telling you thats her." I persisted jerking away when he tried to take my hand again.

"Relax." He said shaking his head, smiling.

"Don't you dare patronize me." I grumbled.

He rolled his eyes. "Carmen!" He called louder, she immediately turned and saw me, her expression towards me backed up my claim. She had the same mensing look on her face, the same one that had taken over her features when she had interrogated my family. "Carmen, this is Rhiannon." Zach introduced us, nudging me to move forward.

"Hello." I muttered, not meeting her expectant eyes though I plastered on my casual fake smile.

"Hello." She greeted more warmly. What a fake b*tch. Then she did something that set my fire blazing, she walked to Zach, wrapped her arm around him and stroked his chest continuously, and the saddest part was Zach had no idea what this wh*re was doing. With fists clenched and my jaw tight I glared at her, and then her angelic mask faded and she smirked wickedly. That was confirmation enough, I was going to take that sl*t down.

"Lets go for a walk." Carmen suggested. Zach nodded and Carmen kept by his side, arm wrapped tightly around him as the two lead the way. I walked behind them, not bothering to keep up. They laughed, Carmen took advantage of my jealous state and lowered her hand on his back smirking at my silent sulking.

I couldn't help but picture myself with my trusty black gun shooting rapidly at her but I clasped my hands together fighting the urge. We all sat under the same Weeping Willow but I purposely sat on the other side of the tree. This girl - if she was really his cousin - wasn't acting like one. Hours past and Zach pulled away from Carmen to take me home, I left them alone to finish there conversation before Zach entered the car and we drove back to my place in silence. The jealousy inside me was getting too hard to bear, I felt relief was over me when I ran inside leaving him without a goodbye.

"Stupid little b*tch!" I yelled at my pillow, I threw a few punches at it before I felt to exhausted to go on. Then I remembered my dinner with Zach and I felt hope. I got dressed, nothing to fancy just my 'nice' clothes and layed on my bed reading a book. I found myself glancing over at the clock often. I grew anxious when he was five minutes late, five minutes turned to ten, then fifteen.

My phone rang and I picked up expecting Zach, but it was only Tiarne. "Where are you? Why aren't you with Zach?!" She asked.

"He never picked me up." I mumbled nonchalantly flipping through the pages of the book.

"Well then why the fuck is he here with some other chick?" Tiarne wondered. "A pretty one at that." She added sounding dull.

"What!" I shouted into the phone. "What does she look like?" I hollered, my breathing quickening.

"Brown hair, brown eyes, light tan, quite tall. Why, do you know her?" She questioned, her tone worried.

"Yeah. I know her." I snarled, my hand almost crushing the cell.

"Well shes hitting on him big time so I don't know who she is but shes trying to get in with Zach." She noted. "I've gotta go, I'll see you tomorrow." She hung up before I could say goodbye. I didn't lower the cell phone for some time, anger seeming to paralyze me. But the anger didn't last very long, heartbreak soon made its way in. He had brushed our dinner of to hang out with that sl*t who was obviously no cousin of his.

"Why?" I whispered to myself, my head hitting the pillow. Tears escaped the barriers I had tried to put up and they did nothing to wash away the pain and hurt I felt. I felt like the biggest idiot to actually feel something for him, I should win an award for 'worlds biggest idiot'. I cried most of the night, my pillow soaked with my tears. My eyeliner ran down my face in long black wavy lines, I tried to rub them away but they just smudged into large Grey patches on both my cheeks. I wanted to sleep, sleep forever and never wake up. I eventually drifted into a restless sleep.

***

He was at my door the next morning, acting as if nothing had happened. I refused to look at him, I refused to think about him and I just pretended he wasn't even there.

"Hey." He said smiling as I exited the house. "Great day hey?" He enthused.

"Whats so great about it...?" I grumbled flatly.

"Uh, were are you going?" Zach asked as I walked away from him, he followed me. But ignored him, he didn't deserve my explanations. "Hello Rhi?" He leaned in front of me and tried to force my eyes upon him. Tiarne turned up just in time, breaking hard on the side of the road and waved me towards her. I ran to her car and jumped in leaving Zach standing on the curb. He stood arms raised, mouth gaping and a confused expression on his face as we sped away.

School was boring as usual and I didn't pay much attention, Tiarne was just as outraged at Zach's little mistake as I was and vowed to ignore him too. As we left the building Zach, Luke and Scarlett were waiting for us. I immediately changed my direction and walked towards the gym, I could she Zach in my peripheral vision speed walked after me.

"Hey!" He shouted. I could see them all watching as he reached for my arm, I jerked away and kept walking. "Why are you avoiding me?!" He yelled after my retreating body. As I had promised to do, I ignored him. I made a u-turn toward where Tiarne was nodding for me to run to her car. Zach turned just in time to grab my arm and spin my around till our faces were just inches away. "Whats going on?" He demanded.

"Stay away from me." I growled pulling away. I ran to Tiarne's car just as the heavens opened. "Drive." I commanded. She nodded and hit the gas, sending us flying out of the car park as the rain pelleted onto the windshield.

"What a jerk." Tiarne muttered.

"Thats why we call him Mr Jerk." I replied, a dark smirk crossing my face.

"Do you think you'll forgive him?" She questioned causally.

"Uh... I'm not sure." I really wasn't sure. He had hurt me and when I got hurt and shyed away from the source of the pain. Thankfully we arrived in front of my house and I was able to escape behind the walls of my home. But I was left in the dark when I saw a police cruiser in front of our house. "I'd better go, see you tomorrow." I mumbled, not taking my eyes away from the cruiser. I ran to the front door and burst into the living room soaking wet, my clothes dripped onto the wood floor. I was increasingly aware of the gun poking into my back, I always was. Two police officers were standing in the living room with mum and dad.

"Rhiannon sweety, have a seat the police are here to talk with us... again." I frowned at mum, she frowned back.

"Hello Rhiannon we're hear to ask you about the shooting incident that happened her last week." The male officer informed me.

"Why don't you ask the two officers who came here last week, what I told them?" I wondered dully.. The officers brows pulled together.

"What officers? We didn't send anyone down here last week..." He muttered, mainly to himself.

"Yes well two officers came here last week and questioned us." Mum interrupted.

"What were their names?" The other male officer asked.

"Officer Carmen O'Neil and Jeremy Blackwood..." Mum said scrutinizing their reactions. Crap, mum had know their names the whole time!

"I'm sorry to inform you but we don't have any officers in Michigan under the names O'Neil or Blackwood." One man said. My jaw dropped, I was right, Carmen had to be the officer who had questioned me last week. Who ever she really was she was defiantly not Zach's cousin, and she defiantly not on Raptures side either. Now I had the proof to hold against Carmen, she had been the officer in disguise.

"But there had been a police cruiser and they wore uniforms, whats going on officers?!" Mums voice became slightly panicked as she feared the worst.

"I'm not quite sure ma'am but someone wants something with you and your family." He told her. But he was wrong. They didn't want my family, they wanted Zach, they wanted his gang. I have to warn him! Wait. I suddenly remembered the fact I wasn't speaking to him. I didn't know which way to go. Warn the boy of my dreams, or ignore my heart breaker. I couldn't choose.

"Whats going on?" Mum chirped frantically.

"Don't worry ma'am we will investigate this further." The man said before he and his partner rose to their feet and left the house without another word. I ran up the stairs my hand trailing along the rail and I smashed into my room tripping over my clothes and falling to the ground. I rushed around my phone in my hand stressing over what I was to do as I pulled on my sweats. I sprinted out the door into the rain, in my sweats and my old t-shirt and I ran down the street. I didn't even run back to get my car, I just kept pushing forward. It was quite a walk to the Lake Saint Clair base but I kept running and dialed Scarlett's number at the same time.

"Hello?" I felt sudden relief to hear her voice.

"Scar can you pick me up, I have news for the group. Important news!" I shouted into the phone, the rain bucketing down.

"Where are you? Why are you outside in the rain?!" She gushed.

"I'm on the corner of my street, pick me up there." I hung up and found shelter under a tree thought the rain still seeped throat. I didn't think I could possibly get anymore soaked in water so I gave up trying to shelter away, I knew you could see half the black gun through my drenched t-shirt but I also knew I couldn't hide that either. I was a hopeless fool.

"Get on!" A girl yelled, she was on a red motorbike wearing no helmet or protective gear. It was Scarlett. I threw one leg over the seat and jumped on, she revved the engine before we shot forward like a bullet from a gun. "You should really wear a coat, your drenched and you can kinda see through your top." She laughed.

"I'll survive, just hurry." I commanded, glancing down at my Grey shirt. It was as she said, almost see through. I flushed red for a moment. We drove and drove until literally skidded to the ground right by the forest fringe, we moved out legs just in time to keep them from being crushed under the bike. "Won't someone steal it?" I asked hesitating.

"People know who's bike it is, they won't steal it." She winked and yanked my arm pulling me forward. I felt like I had run through the same path of forest a hundred times in my life time, I barely needed the ribbons when I had scarlet. We found the shack in no time and dove into the trap door. I landed clumsily on the floor and scrambled to my feet.

"Everyone shut the f*ck up, Rhiannon's got news for us!" Scarlett shouted, capturing the groups attention. They looked forward before every boys jaw dropped to the ground. I looked to Scarlett and she looked to me. You could almost see completely through our tops, we both stifled a laugh. "Eyes up here boys." She demanded pointing to her face. The only face I saw was Zach's, his shocked expression made me laugh.

"Someone else is after you." I blurted out in a rush. There was a chorus of 'whats' and 'who's' before the room was silent again.

"Carmen O'Neil." I said simple.

Zach clamored to his feet. "Thats crazy, shes my cousin!" He shouted, glaring fiercely at me.

I glowered back and continued. "After your little shoot out with Liam in my front yard." I paused to glance at each of them. "Two police officers came to my house to question me about the shooting, except they weren't police officers at all. Two police officers came to my home today and revealed that Carmen O'Neil and Jeremy Blackwood are not actually police officers." I finished with a slight nod.

"Jeremy Blackwood..." Arron suddenly murmured.

"You know him?" Marcus queried. All eyes were now on him.

"Yes." He mumbled. "He is some sort of detective, I'm not entirely sure. He was a witness to my fathers murder. He did and interview for the news saying he had seen my father fall from the window, and that he would be one of the detectives working on the investigations." He explained.

"Then how does Carmen come into this?!" Zach asked, his voice raised.

"Don't you see Zach, this chicks played you!" Luke shouted. "When you ask about your family she never has anything to say anything does she?!" He continued. Zach didn't say anything, he knew he had been wrong.

"Well what do they want from us?" Scarlett intervened.

"He must think we are the gang that is going around murdering the rich." Arron muttered unimpressed with the stupidity of the nations supposedly finest detectives.

"But he's got the wrong gang!" Marcus shouted, frustration evident in his tone.

"Yes well now we have twice the trouble... f*cking hell..." Arron grumbled. As the crowd went back to their original state Zach approached me. I walked off again, but I wasn't actually avoiding him. As I had hoped he followed me and sat beside me on one of the love seats.

"Are you still giving me the silent treatment?" He spoke softly.

"Sorta." I replied, surprised I was actually talking to him.

"Will you tell me what I did wrong?" He half begged. I got to my feet, ready to scramble up and out the trap door, I would leave him to ponder.

"You left me... you forgot our 'dinner date'." I almost spat at the words. "You ditched me for that little wh*re and the saddest part was that you didn't see what she was doing to you." I said no more and left the room afraid of his reaction.

***

Something hit my window, I folded the corner of the page in my book and looked up. Another small rock hit my window and ambled towards it sucking on my red lolly pop, I pulling it open. Peering into the garden, I saw it was almost dark and there under the huge Cypress tree was Zach holding a handful of stones. His eyes never ceased to stun me, they were beautiful.

"Hey..." He said quietly.

"Hey." I replied leaning against my window sill. "What are you doing here..." I wondered breaking the long silence.

He breathed a sigh. "I'm here to apologies." He admitted sheepishly.

"Okay..." I mumbled taking the lolly pop from my mouth.

"I'm really, really sorry. I was so caught up in trying to get my family back that I forgot about the most important person in my life." His words hit my like an explosion of emotion. He had just said that I was the most important person in his life. I stammered for words, I didn't know what to say.

"Uh-" Was all I managed. He began climbing the tree, trying to keep as much eye contact with me as possible.

"And I'm here to ask for your forgiveness Miss Balker." He smiled slightly as he edged towards me till he was on the branch right beside my window. "So what do you say? Can I have my most important girl back?" He wondered with a grin.

I tilted my head to the side smiling at his cute black hair and his flawless smile and how magical his eyes were at night. "Well... okay." I agreed going red, I kept my head down afraid he would see.

"Did you seriously think you could keep me away?" He questioned a smirk on his face.

"Well your Mr Jerk and jerks are jerks." I joked smiling too.

"And your just so damn confused aren't you. You have no idea how amazing you are." He whispered. I was choking the pleasure down, praying I wouldn't ruin the moment. "Your just little Miss Confused aren't you?" He went on smiling wider. I nodded not sure what else to do. He suddenly laughed. "You look a little startled..." He noted. I sucked on the red lolly pop then pulled it out of my mouth to speak.

"You startled me by arriving unexpectedly." I mumbled, staring only at the lolly pop.

"I'm going to go now, I'll be seeing you tomorrow for your first time on the job." I turned towards him expecting a goodbye but he wasn't leaving. Our eyes were locked for a moment but he didn't hesitate, he leaned towards me. I swear I could hear my heart beating against my ribs, just trying to break free.

His soft lips met mine, parting them slightly, it wasn't your typical hormone raging, fiery kiss. No, it was gentle and ended before I could realize what happened. I was left dazed and unaware of my surroundings as he swung off the branch and ran off jumping the fence, his quiet laughter trailing behind him like a ghosts.

"Some jerk." I whispered feeling faint. And then I'm pretty sure I fainted.

Ooo... smooth Rhiannon, smooth...

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha, this chapter makes me laugh, how about you? Please comment and subsribe if you like my story or haven't already.

Thanks, Rose. Aka MemoriesdonoJustice.