Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

Welcome To The Masquerade Ball

"Rhi come on please wake up!" A heard a frantic voice begging.

"I can't believe you took her out in a snow storm, you idiot!" Another boy scolded.

"Ow!" The other boy exclaimed, sounding disgruntled. My eyes eased open very slowly, and leaning above me was Zach's face creased with worry. Luke, Arron and Scarlett hand in had with Marcus were standing around the bed, their curious eyes staring at me. "Thank god!" Zach hollered when he saw me glance at him. I was still drowsy and showed no emotion to him, because I defiantly hadn't forgotten our argument before hand.

"Whats going on..?" I mumbled, wriggling into a lounged, sitting position. I pushed the damp cloth soaked with warm water off my forehead and pulled the covers over my shivering body. I almost thought I had gone blue in the snow.

Arron was the one to answer. "You got lost in a snow storm." He muttered, glaring at Zach who hung his head in shame. I didn't feel he deserved my comforting so I kept my hands and eyes to myself.

"Oh... yeah... I remember." I murmured softly. "I'm so cold." With that I sneezed confirming my statement.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't of walked off." Zach mumbled apologetically. I gave him one sharp nod, not meeting his expectant eyes. He didn't look away, he kept staring at me like I was a million dollar statue.

"Where are we going?" I asked groggily as I watched Scarlett and the girls packing their bags again.

"Uh... we actually need to go back to Michigan. We have to go protect the Parkers Mascaraed ball." Scar answered, seeming slightly disappointed.

Fear controlled me, I didn't want to go back and get caught. Jail was not an option for me. "Oh." Was all I said.

"We'll leave you to get ready to leave." Zach muttered getting up.

"Shouldn't we take her to a hospital?" Marcus wondered, peering over at me with concern.

"You know we can't." Zach grumbled, he obviously didn't like the situation from the distressed look he gave me when he glanced back to me for a brief second.

Once the boys had left I got up and stared in the small, round mirror above a small side table in the corner of the room. I was so pale and I looked like a zombie, ew. I poked at my skin, wondering if I would suddenly become a stunning beauty before my very eyes. Nothing happened, my dull eyes just stared back with the same pointless expectancy. I had dark rings under my eyes, most likely from almost freezing into an ice cube last night - and my bright blue eyes looked almost electric in contrast to my bone white skin and smudged eyeliner.

My arm was still stinging, I eyed the long cut up my arm and across my hand that Liam had sliced when he had captured me two nights ago. I would get so much shit for this, but I didn't worry. I would slice Liam up in more ways than one. He and his wh*re of a girlfriend. One finger ran up my scab, it tickled.

My mind then skipped over to little Miss Carmen Zach's cousin, I wondered if she and her partner were still looking for us. It wasn't like we didn't have enough on our hands, one ravenous gang is enough thank you very much. I popped my lips a few times as I ambled back to my duffel bag stuffed with hand fulls of clothes, makeup and hair products. I now had two pictures of my family, warmth passed through me just thinking about Zach's kindness to give me a picture so beautiful and perfect. I missed my family, I wanted to be able to go home and huge both mum and dad and tell them I loved them. That was never going to happen, but now I was beginning to accept that.

"C'mon Rhi." Scar prodded, her tone thoughtful. She smiled halfheartedly at me as she walked out, understanding I needed a moment to myself.

I inhaled. "Suck it up." I ordered myself, trying to pep myself up for my first true 'mission' with the gang. My gun was sitting neatly on top of all my things in the duffel bag, I picked it up and slipping it under my belt I slung the bags strap over my shoulder and left the room.

***

Scarlett trusted me a black dress with a poofy bottom. It was so elegant for me, but it was beautiful. "I'm not ready!" I argued glowering at Tiarne who then threw me a black mask, tiny shimmering beads intricately sewn into the mesh. Black feathers were attached to the side of the mask, so when I slipped it onto my face they tickled my skin.

"I'm seriously not ready!" I grumbled, sulking silently. "Why are we even dressing up for this mission, were just going to be getting shot at..." I muttered.

"What?! That dress will look perfect on you." Scar disagreed.

"Simply stunning." Tiarne seconded.

"And we have to dress up so we blend in." She explained, twirling in the mirror. "A disguise." She said smoothly in an alluring voice. She winked jokingly.

I rolled my eyes. "Not the dress! This mission!" I yelled, throwing my arms up in the air.

Scarlett readjusted her violet colored dress, poking and prodding the purple mask forcing it to sit perfectly on her beautiful features. "You'll be fine, remember I'll look after you." She encouraged with a quick grin.

Tiarne snickered quietly. "You won't be the only one." She giggled, nudging Scar. The both laughed loudly as I glowered at them.

Scar chuckled. "Yeah, there's another reason." She joked. I had not problem guessing who they were talking about.

"Shut up, it's not like that..." I half groaned. "Now wait here I'm going to get changed." I told them, scooping up the dress mask and hair piece as I shuffled into my bathroom - I know I'm lucky - to get changed. I shut the door behind me and stripped down, I started with the dress stepping into it carefully. I pulled the zip up with a slight struggled but finally I turned to the wall mirror to see a picture of elegance before me. I gasped quietly wondering how this could be me. Of course the girls were peaking through the door.

"Wow. Beautiful!" Tiarne exclaimed skipping in. She spun me around looking me over before shoving me into a chair. "Hair time!" She sung cheerfully. She then attempted to lightly curl my long dark brown hair, she fixed my crazy side fringe and pulled me from the chair.

"Mask, now." Scar commanded. I obeyed and slowly borough the mask to me face, adjusting it till it sat properly. I then sneezed ruining the moment also reminding me that I had a cold from the previous night.

"Crap." I breathed staring wide eyed at the reflection in the mirror as I wiped my nose. Though I still looked un healthily white I actually looked decent, the make up had managed to make me look less like the zombie I had been before so this pleased me. Scarlett then handed me two guns. I tucked one under the garter Scar had made me wear and the other I slid into my clutch. "Lets go."

- ZACH'S POV -

"Holy shit." I breathed, staggering back. The girls approached our group looking stunning, but Rhiannon was the only one who could hold my eyes. The boys all hooted and cheered as the came towards us, but I was frozen. I forced myself to relax before she could notice.

"Someone looks smoking." Marcus complimented Scar as she stepped into his arms, they both shared a laugh. I remained casually lounging against my car as Rhi approached.

"Hi." She muttered.

"Uh... hey." I replied, my confidence melting. "You look..." I trailed off unable to describe her. She smiled halfheartedly and turned to Arron who was giving us a brief run over of the plan.

- RHIANNON'S POV -

"Listen up!" Arron called. "Okay, you know your positions and I want all of you to look after Rhi because its her first time." The group turned to me, giggled and smiled warmly. "Okay break." He yelled. The group split off, slipping the masks back on perfectly blending in with the crowd. The cars filed through one by one, me and the other girls remained on patrol near the gates hiding in the bushes.

"Nervous?" Scarlett asked, coming to my side in a crouched position. I nodded wordlessly.

"You'll be right, I'll look after you." She promised leaving me alone to go back to her post, she winked from then and went back into her state of focus. My hands were sweating against the gun as I clung to it, hoping it wouldn't slip from my hand. I began to almost drown in my sweat when there was a rustling in the bushes behind me, trying to be brave I edged towards it and dived into its cover.

"Hey get of me!" The bush yelled as I tumbled into it and tackled the person to the ground. I started pounding my fists to the persons chest until they started shaking with laughter.

"You aren't going to fight anyone off like that." Zach chuckled. I pursed my lips and rolled off him.

"Your so mean to me." I mumbled, pouting my lips as I readjusted my dress which had luckily survived the bush attack.

"I'm sorry." He apologized, opening his arms for a hug. I shook my head and folded my arms.

"I haven't forgotten about the other night." I reminded him, looking away.

"Aw c'mon. You know you mean to much for me to loose." He reasoned, a failed attempt I might add. "You see, when I met you I was supposed to bring you to the gang as a sort of bait to catch Liam." He began with a small smile.

"What!" I howled.

"Sh!" He hushed me. "But I didn't want to hurt you..." He finished shyly. I was still outraged that the people who were now my friends had plotted to use me as bait but I couldn't stay mad.

"Oh..." I muttered, locking my fingers together. "You should probably get going..." I prodded. He hesitated but spun back towards his patrol area. One he disappeared into the darkness I turned, exhaling loudly but before I could calm down Zach was back spinning me around at lighting speed. My mind was working so slowly that I only realized he was kissing me about half way through. His lips moved with mine and my knees buckled underneath me but Zach caught me before I could fall, not breaking the kiss for a second.

Zach carried me in his arms for a minute or so as the kiss dragged on, warmth passing through my mouth. Finally set me down and left with out another word as I continued gasping from breath, my heart thumping erratically against my rib cage. I placed my hand on my heart and felt it thudding on and on till it slowed to its normal rate.

"Woo, hoo, hoo!" Scarlett chanted, cheering from the bushes. I pursed my lips and stomped away focusing on walking straight, thankfully Scar didn't follow. I walked to the edge of the bushes and peered at the front door where guests were still entering. I stood there watching the cars parade in, I seemed to remain silent and upstanding for hours until I saw a familiar figure proceeding up the stairs.

"Carmen?" I whispered to myself, questioning my judgment. I looked around and decided to investigate on my own, since no one was around. I knew it was risky to do this on my own - especially if this really was Carmen - but I felt I had some responsibility to do this, to prove myself. But of course I had company.

"Where do you think your going?" Zach asked. "And on your own too." He added, his lips two hard lines.

"Uh..." I picked my brain for an excused but sighed with defeat. "I think I just saw Carmen enter the building." I confided, gaining confidence.

"Really!? Was she with Jeremey?" He questioned, peeking over my shoulder.

I shook my head. "I'm going to check it out... whether you come with me or not." I informed him turning for the thin strip of walk way leading to the front stairs of the beautiful manor.

"Wait up!" He called after me, in no time he was walking beside me pressing his mask to his face with a wink. He looked brilliant in he black suit, his skin shone like a stunning shade of magnolia and his eyes were still that blinding hazel. We climbed the stairs and strode through the massive wooden doors opening into a large ball room. "Take my arm." Zach hissed. I quickly wrapped my arm around his and tried to look dignified. As we passed the guests some would nod and smile, others just stared.

"I don't see her anywhere." I whispered to Zach as the guests began to dance to the small orchestra playing.

"We'd better work the floor to see if we can spot her." He replied. I was amazed at how distinguished he could be when he needed to, my head lolled to the side as I stared smiling at his face. So mature, yet he still had that teenage devil like expression etched almost permanently into his features. "C'mon." He whispered, pulling me onto the floor. He wrapped one arm around my wait and took my hand with the other. I quickly realized what he was doing and placed my hand on his shoulder.

We waltzed around the room, in between the flurrying gowns and flaring tuxedos all the while scanning the room for Carmen. I looked back to Zach who was watching my every move. "Hey! You should be searching for her." I scolded him, frowning when he smiled crookedly.

"I think your much more interesting." He smiled, his teenage attitude resurfacing. I looked down, smiling at my feet. When I looked over his shoulder, if by magic Carmen appeared. She too was searching the crowds for someone. Her hair was half pulled up into a neat bun of perfectly arranged curls, she wore a long blue gown that dropped down showing some cleavage. She looked up and met my eyes, almost spewing out her sip of white wine.

"Zach." My lips were at his ear as I spoke. "I see her."

Zach went ridged as he turned his head to my ear, hiding his lips in my hair. "Where." He murmured softly.

My ear tingled and I half smiled. "Behind us... shes walking away, she saw me." I explained.

"We have to follow her." He said, turning serious. We twirled to the fringe of the dance floor and pulled away from each other. "Shes going up the stairs." He noted, staring at the two curved staircases, meeting at the top.

"I'll go up that staircase, you go up the other." I ordered him, feeling apart of the plan for once. He nodded and left me staring after him, I snapped back into it and shuffled up each step. Carmen turned her head and saw me stalking after her so she quickened her pace, scrambling up the last steps then beginning a light jog down the hall. Zach was already jogging after her so I ran too making sure to keep up though it was a battle to run in heels. I saw Zach run right, I skidded to a stop and peered at his jogging figure, I turned to the left and saw Carmen running in the opposite direction.

Zach had gone the wrong way. I couldn't see him now and I'd loose Carmen if I went after him so I set off on my own.

"Stop there Carmen!" I shouted. She didn't stop, she just kept going. I felt so lost and confused in the maze of halls but finally she reached a dead end. I pulled the gun from my garter remembering I'd left my clutch on the ground near the bushes - Scarlett would probably pick it up. She rammed the door open and ducked into the cover of the dim lighting. I went into the room after her, only the moon's raises brightening the room to some extent.

"Carmen?" I breathed, scanning the room, my gun pointed ahead of me at all times. I spotted her by the window, her gun pointed at me. "Put it down or I'll shoot!" I commanded.

She laughed, making no movement. "I know what you and your gang are doing." There was and edge to her voice. "We will stop you." She threatened. "What you've done is just crazy, your all murderers." Her acusations were out of line. She took a step back to the window. "And if we don't lock you up... we'll kill you." She quirked a brow evily. I tried to convince myself I wasn't scared, but I was.

"What exactly have we done?" I queried, my voice quivering.

She rolled her eyes. "Don't mess with me Rhiannon, you know exactly what you've done to those poor innocent people." She muttered dryly. "They may be wealthy but that is no reason so go killing them." She shook her head disappointedly. I was almost choking on chargin.

"You've got it wrong, we aren't the-"

"Shut up." She growled. I shut my mouth, the gun almost slipping from my hands, they were all clammy. "Just tell your gang, we'll get them. And you won't survive, whether you go to jail or die I'm happy just as long at the community gets its justice." She spat furiously. She shot at me, but I dived out of the way quickly enough, slamming into the cabinet of shinning china. The glass doors broke and the china spilled onto the ground breaking under and on top of me.

Carmen crossed the floor and started punching me, lifting my body from the ground then slamming me back down. I tried to fight back but the pain was un bearable and the extra hurt would only kill me more. China splinters as tiny as dust inched their way into my body, I could feel each of them slicing my skin as if they were one huge piece.

I screamed as she left me. When looked back to the window she was already gone, a faded soul. The window swung a few times, wide open. Something really heavy fell onto me. It felt pointless to cry out again.

"Rhiannon!" Zach bellowed, rushing into the room. I tried to pull myself from the ground but the broken china dug into my skin, left, right and center.

"Ah!" I moaned, tears building.

"Crap, stay still I'll get you out." He vowed, assessing my situation.

"Fuck!" I shrilled, my arm searing with pain. The cut up my fore arm had reopened and not only was it bleeding it felt like the bones had broken into one hundred pieces. A weight was lifted from my body and the torture was almost bearable. Zach's warm arms were around my body, holding me up. He cradled me there and whispered it would be okay. I could hear him shouting into his cell phone, telling everyone we needed help. In such a huge home none of the party guests would even hear my screams, my vision blurred and I sunk into a pitch black heaven.

I dreamed I was on the beaches of California, lying on the sand soaking up the sun. Zach was with me, holding my hand. The whole gang was enjoying the sun too, Scarlett, Marcus, Arron, Tiarne, Mum... Dad. Everyone. We all ran into the ocean and swum in the clear blue sea of laughter. Zach kissed me and I could feel a state of heaven coming over me, wrapping my arm around his body and I pulled him closer praying he would never pull away. I opened one eye and was shocked out of my skin.

I saw Carmen wading out to me from the shore. I no longer felt Zachs embrace, I looked around but Zach was no longer with me, no one was. They were all further out in the ocean, smiling and chuckling away with each other, oblivious to me or Carmen.

"Help!" I screamed, my mouth was only filled with the salty sea water. No one heard me. I waved my arms around trying to swim to them or just get some attention. But no one so much as glanced at me and I got no closer. Only Carmen grew closer, closer and closer. I screamed and screamed but not a head turned.

"Dad, mum, Scarlett... Tiarne... Zach!" I spluttered as I once again got a mouthful of water.

Carmen was with me now, pushing me down into the water, then pulling me back up. Just before I could take another breath she pushed me back down. This pattern continued till my eyes closed and I could no longer see the sand and the ocean, Zach, Scarlett, mum or dad. It was pitch black, so dark. Yet it had been so peacefull, happy, heavenly before. Now the heaven on my lips was gone and only darkness consumed me.

Numb. Quiet. Peace...

Then someone interrupted my peace, like a fly buzzing around you on a steamy summer afternoon when all you want is to lay under the sun in peace.

"... It should of been me... If I had gone the right way I would be in this bed right now, you would be holding my hand... well I hope you would be, cause... well... maybe you might possibly you know... like-"

My eyes flickered open, I blinked a few times. I was in a hospital, no longer in the sun. My right arm felt so heavy, my skin stung and my lips were cracked and chapped. Someones cold hand was clasping my good hand. "Zach?" I breathed, trying to sit up. He gently pushed me back down.

"Rhiannon!" He quietly rejoiced. "Yes it's me." He answered.

Finally my vision was clear and I looked firstly to my left arm set in plaster then to my right one, wrapped in bandages then finally to Zach. "You saved me... again." I stated.

He exhaled and shook his head. "Please don't thank me." He pleaded. "It was my fault... Its always my fault." He muttered looking down. "I need to make it up to you. Please, please! Tell me how to make it up to you!" His hand tightened around mine and I flinched.

"Give me a moment." I asked him. He relaxed with a nod. I thought for a while, there was something I wanted, needed. My near death experience made me realize how easily I could die, how easily a bullet could pierce my skin and end my life.

"I need to see my fathers grave." I muttered, my good hand a fist. Zach wrapped his arms around my freezing body and brought his lips to my ear.

"Of course." He whispered, kissing my head.

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Once again thank you so much to my readers, I love you guys heaps. Story comments would be awesome and subscribe if you like my story.

Thanks, Rose. Aka MemoriesdonoJustice.