Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

The Ransom

I told them to let me go find the group on my own. Arron was reluctant to let me walk into the fog myself, he watched me, the questions playing on repeat. With narrow eyes he peered after my figure as I exited the car. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and turned back to them.

"I've called the others and told them your coming." Luke said handing me the cell. Seeing as I'd 'lost' mine, he was loaning me a spare one for now.

"I'm guessing Zach wasn't too happy to hear I was tagging along for today..." I guessed with a sly roll of my eyes.

Luke nodded sheepishly. "Don't worry, we forgive you." He patted me hand. "Now go, and be careful, stay with the group. We can't afford to loose anyone else."

"Okay... uh, bye guys." I waved stiffly and walked into the trees as I heard them speedy away.

I had never seen so much fog in a forest before, I though it was something you only saw in movies. But there I was, right in the middle of its thick blanket, shrouding my eyes from its beauty. It really was a beautiful place, the moss covers trees were natures skyscrapers housing its mothers creatures. I let out a squeal when the flutter of birds wings startled me. I didn't really have a clue how to find the others, I hoped the map I had would do me some good. I unfolded it and felt completely lost already.

"I guess its blind walking from here..." I muttered, fed up with my incompetence. I wondered what everyone at school doing, normal things I bet. But I was running into a sick twisted game of hide and seek the new hostage of Liam's insane idea of fun. As I said, sick and twisted.

I lumbered around on the forest floor, basically walking in circles. The sound of the whining birds was somewhat soothing after about a fucking hour of hearing it. "Stop. Freeze." Some one muttered in a dull tone, I froze and raised my hands above my shoulders. "Rhiannon?" The boy sounded truly surprised.

"Marcus?" I turned around, arms still raised and found myself at gun point.

"I thought you'd left us." He remarked lowering his gun.

"Yeah I sorta have... but..." I trailed into silence.

"I 'spose you heard about Scar..." He uttered staring down at his feet. I simply nodded, his head snapped up. "Why are you here?" He questioned, his narrow eyes showed only confusion yet no suspicion or hatred that would have come with the gesture if I had been speaking to Zach.

"I want to help you find Scarlett, shes my friend too..." I snapped instantly regretting it.

He sighed looking exhausted. "Fair enough, don't worry I'm glad your back." He simpered. It felt good to have someone still appreciate your altruistic actions.

I frowned to myself. "What do you mean by 'I'm' glad your back?" I eyed him contemptuously. The way he'd empathized 'I'm' hadn't skipped my mind.

He smiled apologetically. "Well some seem to think what you did to Zach and the gang was pretty bitchy..." From his expression he seemed not to agree. I knew my reaction had cruel and selfish but what had triggered it was worse... it was beyond cruel.

"But, Zach... and Carmen! Washington!" I faltered to explain how idiotic their claims were, god I hated the fact that Zach was making me out to be the bad guy. I took a deep breath to calm myself down, my cheeks were heating up with fury. "Okay, just take me to this base thing so I can help out..." I muttered, hands balled into fists. "And I didn't do anything to Zach..." I clarified as I stormed after his lead. As he took me on the tour of the forest I planed how I would make this ransom without the suspicion of Rapture interrupting me.

- ZACH'S POV -

"I can't believe Arron would even let her re join us!" I hollered to the others, their guns were pointed at the mill as they listened.

"Oh shut up Zach, don't be a drama queen..." Mitch muttered unimpressed with my ranting. I stomped up to him and slapped him across the head. He only rolled his eyes, not even a flinch resulted from my hit.

"Hey Mr 'Drama Queen', why don't you shut up. Look who's approaching." Julia pointed over some ferns to Rhiannon led by Marcus heading towards the group. "And leave the girl alone, remember what you did." She poked me hard in the chest as she tramped passed.

"Since when are you all chummy with Rhiannon?" I grumbled, not expecting an answer.

"Since I realized guys are hurtful bastards!" She retorted, something personal I guessed. I sent a scowl in her direction and folded my arms crossly as she entered are little group. I looked at her expectantly, my eyes luring hers to mine. But shes didn't look up with remorse as I'd expected, she walked right past me. What the hell?! Look at me bitch. My gaze followed her off into the trees, what was she doing, going off on her own? I stomped after her.

"Hey Zach, don't you dare go-" Marcus began to say. Ignoring his protests I jumped over a cluster of ferns and stalked after her.

"Hey you! What the hell do you think your doing?" I shouted. She didn't stop. "Hey!" I boomed, frustration leaking into my tone.

"Why the hell would you care?!" She challenged snappily. I frowned shaking my head... why did I care?

I fumbled for words. "No one wants you back in the group." I managed.

She rolled her eyes. "No one said I was going to re join." She smirked evilly. My expression went cold and hard, I used to think she was amazing. Now everything that came out of her mouth pushed me further and further away.

"What are you doing here then?!" I called before she could track away.

She pursed her lips as she spoke. "I'm here to save a friend." Something about the way she said this hit me deep, like she was referring to something other than the obvious. Her head tilted to the side, her expression hopeful. It turned to utter disgust after I said nothing. Without another word she left me with only my thoughts and more questions, not answers.

- RHIANNON'S POV -

I trekked around the mill till I was sure I was positioned directly opposite Rapture. The short walk hadn't cleared my mind at all, confusion was my only state these days. My eagerness to give myself up was he most confusing thing. Why the hell would I rather be under Liam's punishing hand than with my family and friends.

Then I realized, what family? My family was shattered into pieces. What friends? I'd lost them, I was sure I'd offended all of them with my distancing from there open arms. I had gone from having everything to nothing. What was the point of freedom when you had no reason to be free, no one to share it with. I was on the Ferris Wheel with no partner, a dud, an unwanted girl.

Was it really freedom? Not to me. I was almost jumping over my own feet just to get inside and know my capture had saved my once good friend. From my post I saw a few members of Rapture proceeding to sneak around the back, my chance to get it. Julia, with careful yet certain hands pull open an old wooden door open and waved her hand for a handful of people to follow. I jumped out of my cover and bolted for the open door, Julia's eyes widened as she saw my quickening approach. I sprinted into the dim lighted room, in front of me a staircase.

"Rhiannon, get back here!" She hissed. "Your going to blow our cover!" A few other heads popped through to see what the commotion was about, including Zach.

"As second in command I'm ordering you to get back here now!" He demanded, shaking his fists at his side.

My eyes brows pulled together. "Why would I do that?" I mumbled, acting dumb.

"Because I'm second in command. You have to listen to me." His temper was flaring, I could almost see the veins rising on his skin.

I tilted me head to the side and placed my finger on my chin. "Wait a second, last time I checked I wasn't part of your little group... hm, I guess I don't have to listen to your bullshit. Ciao guys." I waved smugly and scampered up the flight of stairs. Like a maze it was impossible to find the main room, the center of everything. I opened dozens of doors and climbs numerous stair cases. But before my frustration could boil over I heard low talking coming from one door, I snuck over to it and pressed my ear to its cool surface.

"They're just trying to save this girl of theirs... why the hell do we need her anyway?" A female muttered.

Liam was next to speak. "Shes bait, they'll come to save her and we can take captive-"

"Rhiannon Balker, get your but here now!" Someone hissed sternly. Zach was by the staircase, his eyes shifty.

"No! Tell the others to go away, you too." I said back, my voice only just loud enough for him to hear. His face went pink and I couldn't take it anymore, I shoved the door back and burst into the room.

"Rhiannon no!" Zach yelled too late. He and the handful of people with him ran into the room after me. We were held at gun point before I could even speak.

"Let her go!" I commanded scrambling to my feet. Scarlett was tied to a chair - typically - in the back corner of the room. Liam bellowed a laugh, seeming amused.

"Are you mentally ill or just an idiot?" He chuckled.

I pursed my lips and inhaled deeply. "Let her go and you can have me!" I offered, staring him right in the eyes. I could see Ailee's made up face perk up instantly at my offer.

Liam however didn't seem too interested. "I don't want to hurt you dear Mi-Mi, It's not you I want. I want him." He stabbed a finger at Zach who couldn't look any more furious than he did now. Surprise didn't even come into his eyes, like he'd been expecting everything.

I choked down the lump in my throat and spoke again, softer this time. "Give them Scarlett and you can have me." I insisted as politely as I could manage. Ailee was jumping out of her skin with excitement, her face turned sour when Liam shook his head. "You have some nerve coming here... but I'm curious as to why you say 'them', not 'us'. Are you no longer with them?" He queried, cracking his knuckles casually.

I shook my head. "I am no longer apart of them." I half sneered.

Liam chuckled softly, then Ailee walked to him and whispered something in his ear. She walked back to her previous spot and watched him as he began. "Okay, I accept your offer." He began, relief washed over me. "But I would like to make you an offer." He smirked, Ailee looked shocked. "You may have the option of joining us, or as you offered you may give yourself up."

Ailee's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. "What?!" She screamed.

"Are you fucking serious?!" Zach howled from behind me.

"Shut up!" He commanded, holding his hand up for silence. He looked briefly to Rapture. "Your lucky we haven't killed you." He then walked in a small circle very slowly, passing everyone in the room. Walking a little to close to Zach for his liking. "Now why don't we let Rhiannon make the decision herself?" He suggested calmly, his eyes now on me. Everyone else's followed.

I would have thought my answer would be no to joining his gang, it should have been a simple one but I was seriously considering it. I stared at Scarlett's battered face, did I really want to go through that.

Yes, I did. I deserved it. "I will reject your offer to join your gang. Please just take me and let her go. I looked to Scarlett who's eyes begged me to reconsider. Ailee was pleased and walked to Scarlett and stood by her ropes ready to untie her.

"Are you sure? You could have a bright future with us." He pressed lightly.

I stifled a laugh and composed myself. "No thank you." I murmured with a cheap smile. Liam shrugged. There were loud protests from the group behind me, Zach was the only one who said nothing.

Ailee untied Scarlett with satisfaction and Scar ran straight into Marcus's open arms. They shared a long passionate kiss, I looked away in pain.

Liam looked repulsed by their display of affection. "Ugh, just get out or I'll kill you." He shooed them off and they all filed out looking back longingly at me. Scarlett teared up and mouthed 'Come back to us'. I made no response. Zach was the last to leave, maybe I was just wishing it there but I thought I caught a glimpse of sorrow in his hazel eyes. I kept my head down as I spun back to face them all.

Ailee giggled with an edge as she shoved my head up. "I'm going to hurt you so damn bad you'll wish you were dead." She threatened, delighted. "If we don't already kill you."

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Dayum Ailee, you are one badass bitch aren't you? You know who I picture as Ailee whenever I'm writing? Taylor Momsen from Gossip Girl, I think she'd be perfect as Ailee.

Well whatever.. thanks for reading guys :)

Thanks, Rose. Aka MemoriesdonoJustice.