Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

In Or Out

“S-s-scarlet… what are you doing here?!” I could barely speak. Where was Zach. I turned to Dale, my expression furious. He bit his lip and held up my borrowed phone. “Guilty…” But why did he call Scarlett and not Zach?

Scar’s eyes welled up with tears and she ran to me, embracing me tightly. “I thought he had killed you!” She wept, sniffling in my ear. Wrapping my arms around her, I comforted her without a word. I was too scared to ask about Zach.

“Why are you here?” I whispered in here ear.

Her face still on my shoulder she replied. “Your friend called me to inform me that you were still alive. He said you wanted to see me…” She trailed off. I pushed her back and watched her eyes fill with hurt.

“Oh. No, I’m glad you came. But how on earth did you get here so quickly?”

“I wasn’t far away. The whole gang has been searching for you in the forests around here.” She explained. “Even Zach.”

A thrust of pain hit me. His name was become the swear word I could never use.

“Oh… okay.” I looked to Kyle and Dale who were trying to listen in.

Scarlett brought her lips to my ear. “Is there somewhere we could go to talk privately?”

“I’m going to take Scarlett down to the lake.” I told the boys, snapping my phone out of Dale’s hand. I shut the door behind me and led Scar down to the little pier where we both sat cross legged on.

“He’s truly worried about you.” She said, playing with her scarf. I knew who we were talking about.

“That’s nice…” I muttered sourly. After all my regrets of the way I had acted toward him, it confused me as to why I was suddenly so bitter towards my once true love. I guess he was just another guy.

“Why can’t you two stop being so ignorant! You both were a happy couple only a month ago, and now you hate each other’s guts!” She began to raise her voice. “But I don’t think you two hate each other, I think you’re both acting so childish and refusing to give in and be the first one to say sorry!”

I could feel my hands getting all clammy. I loved Scar like a sister but I couldn’t hold back the rage that had built over the many months. “One, Zach and I were never a couple!” I began, not bothering start of calmly. “Two, I’m not refusing to say sorry, I’ve just never gotten the chance! And third, what gives you the right to judge me. You obviously don’t understand the situation!” I exhaled in a loud, angry huff.

Scarlett got to her feet. “Oh I understand the situation alright!” She growled sarcastically. “I can see two people who obviously have liked each other for a damn long time – who have the guts to risk their lives every day, but don’t have the fucking guts to tell each other how madly they are falling for each other. I see a girl who was once nothing, who’s only fear was rejection or the spider in the bathroom. Who soon became part of something beyond her small life problems, and when it got to damn tough she hid in the forest refusing to admit she was wrong.” I could see she wasn’t done.

She lowered her voice lowered and her eyes became weirdly pleading.

“I see a boy who regrets everything he did to hurt the one he loved. Who wants to say sorry but thinks - the only girl that meant as much to him as his dead mother did – is dead.” She sat back down and I could almost feel her eyes burning into mine. “You saved my life Rhiannon. Now I’m going to save yours.” She hugged me and got to her feet. I couldn’t speak for a moment, did I seriously mean as much to Zach as his mother did? All I could see in my head now was the beautiful hazel eyed woman in the photo I had seen in Washington.

“Where are you going?!” I shouted, feeling edgy and clueless. When she didn’t turn I turned panicky and ran after her. “Scarlett where are you going?!”

Scarlett only answered once she was opening her car door. “I’m going to tell Mr. Jerk that his girl is still alive.” It had been months since I’d last called him Mr. Jerk, and how had she found out about it?

There was no point attempting to stop her. As far as I was concerned she was an unstoppable force.

I was overwhelmed. Should I stay knowing he would defiantly come to see me? Or should I run away and hold the grudge till I finally felt secure and self assured again?

God only knew how long it would take me to open up again.

- ZACH'S POV -

I bounded around the same route for at least the fifteenth time that afternoon. Every round only filled me with disappointment when there was no sign of her lingering presence.
I would take everything back just to see her alive and well again.

“Zach man… I think it’s time we go back home and take a break.” Luke came up beside me.
I could see how it pained him at the thought of going back. He knew as well as I knew, if we went back were wouldn’t come back out again.

I clenched my fists. I hadn’t been this frustrated since my mother and fathers passing.

“Don’t you think we would have found her already if she were out here?” Luke put out, eyebrows pulled together. At least he didn’t want to give up. “It’s been three days of nonstop searching… we’re all exhausted.” I tried to squeeze my hands tighter, but it seemed impossible. I almost felt like I could cry, which was something I hadn’t done in years. This one girl had brought back all these emotions that I hadn’t felt in years, this one girl of all girls in this huge world was bringing out qualities in me that I never knew existed.

I turned to Luke. “You know I can’t do that.” I said through my teeth. He said nothing as he gripped my shoulders then walked away. No, I didn’t feel betrayed. No one could truly understand why I was prepared to stay out here search for weeks on end.

“Zach! Zach!”

“Scarlett?!” Out of the ferns she stumbled into me.

“She’s alive Zach, she’s alive!” Scarlett yelled, grabbing my wrists, shaking them vigorously.

I wanted to ask one hundred questions at that very moment, I wanted to scream to the heavens, but more than anything I wanted to see her face.

“C’mon, I’ll take you to her!” Towing me by the wrist she pulled me along till we finally reached Marcus’s car.

“Get in!” Marcus shouted, pushing the door open. Scar slid into the black leather seat, I jumped into the back seat via the open window.

- RHIANNON'S POV -

“But he’s coming to see you, why would you leave now?” Dale dangled my phone above his head, I was small and he was tall. I jumped up and down trying to reach the last thing I needed before I could depart, but stupid Dale was being annoyingly persistent that I stay.

I regretted telling him, I should have just ‘borrowed’ their truck to get home.

“Give me my phone damn it!” I shouted, punching his stomach. He jerked forward in pain so I quickly yanked my phone from his grip. “Now are you going to give me a lift or let me get killed running home?”

He shook his head. “Kyle get in here and stop her from leaving!”

Kyle bounded in.

“Kyle, would you give me a lift back into town?” I said sweetly, clasping my hands together pleadingly. He shrugged and grabbed his keys off the hook by the door.

“Grab your stuff, let’s go.”

Dale’s mouth was a gaping hole. “You’re supposed to be helping me stop her, not give her a lift home!” He complained, placing his hands on his hips.

“Dale, if she wants to go let her. This is between her and Zach. It’s not your business medaling with they’re relationship. ” With that Kyle opened the door and gestured for me to go first. I grinned a thank you as I walked by.

“Rhi just reconsider, please! If you leave now-” Dale began.

“No.” I stomped my foot in the dirt and stormed into the truck slamming the door. I blew Dale a kiss, hoping he’d understand and forgive me later. Besides, Kyle was right. It was my decision.

The engine roared a farewell and exhaust fumes spluttered out in a cloud of smoke. We thrummed forward.

Dale still glowered at me through the rearview mirror.

- ZACH'S POV -

The fifteen minute drive was painstakingly long, I yearned to see her. When we arrived at the house I jumped out of the car before it had even stopped. The door opened before I made it to the porch.

I blonde haired boy walked out. Crap, what was I walking into? He closed the door behind him and approached me.

“She’s gone.” He muttered, folding his arms across his chest. Scarlett ran up to join us.

“Oh fuck, don’t tell me-” Scar began to say.

“Yes, she left…” The boy intervened. “I tried to stop her, but my stupid boyfriend agreed to drive her back into town.

“Is she going back home?” I butted in. I didn’t give a shit what he had done. I just needed to find Rhiannon.

“She didn’t say exactly where she was going. Just that she was going back into town.” I didn’t need to hear more, I jetted back to Marcus.

“Scarlett hurry!” I shouted, waving her to get in the car. “Go!”

- RHIANNON'S POV -

We hit the town boarder in half an hour. I was going straight back home, mum was there so Zach wouldn’t dare interrupt me while she was at home. Nigh fell upon Michigan and the street lamps lit up.

“That’s it right here.” I jabbed my finger at my enormous house that towered above the others. “Thank you so much Kyle, this means heaps.” I hugged him and jumped out onto the sidewalk. Waving I jogged up to the front door and knocked my fist three times, feeling utterly breathless.

Mum answered glowing at the sight of me. “Rhiannon baby, where on earth have you been?! When you called me early this week you could of given me a little more insight.” Pursing her lips she pulled me into a tight hug. When she pulled away she was all smiles again.

It felt so good to be home.

“We have a special someone over for dinner.” Mum grinned. “I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.” Leading me into the dining room the first thing I saw was the lavish dinner set across the twelve seater table. Then smirking at the head of the table was Liam.

“Hello little sister.” He murmured smoothly, eyes narrowed.

“Isn’t this lovely?” Mum commented. “He wanted to come see us. I thought you weren’t going to be home tonight, but thankfully your both here.” Mum clapped her hands gleefully, she looked almost as happy as she had before dad’s death. She quickly put an extra plate down and poured me a glass of water.

I was sure my eyes would pop out and roll across the table. I couldn’t breathe. It was like Liam had shoved his fist down my throat. “Come on Rhiannon, sit, sit!” Mum waved her hand to the seat beside Liam. I walked to my seat stiffly, like a toy soldier.

Mum raised her glass of red wine. “To family,” She toasted. I raised my glass of water, gulping down my nausea.

Liam held his glass up too. “To family.” As he spoke he stared directly at me, an evil glint in his eyes. He tapped his glass to mine and took a sip of the blood red wine. Mums eyes were jolting lovingly between me and Liam.

“Look at this. Our family is finally together… it’s such a shame your father isn’t here for this.” Mum began to sniffle and she teared up. My eyes darted to Liam, my accusations burning into his smirking face.

“Yes, if only dad was here. I miss him so much.” The edge of sarcasm in Liam’s tone was infuriating. How dare he talk about my father?!

“Okay enough sad stories, I’ll get the lasagna from the oven.” I watched mum silently exit before

I turned to Liam. “What are you playing at?! Why the hell are you even here?!” I hissed. Liam took another sip of red wine before answering.

“Can’t a brother come to see his lovely family once and a while?” He rolled his eyes and dabbed his mouth with a napkin.

“You’re a piece of work, you know that?!” I growled, clawing at the table cloth. Liam reached out to smooth my tense hand. “Don’t touch me!” I jerked my hand away. “You’re a psychopath! What you did to Carmen wasn’t murder. It was an act of insanity.”

“Oh her...? Well I don’t care, she got in my way.” Liam shrugged and leaned back in his chair as if this were just a simple conversation about the weather.

I ground my teeth together in a mixture of fury and frustration. “You tried to hunt me like a wild animal.” He shouted in a whisper, leaning across the table. “I should get my gun and kill you now.”

Liam threw his head back and laughed, before he leaned toward me in a flash eyes piercing. “You don’t have the fucking guts to kill me. Your weak, that’s why you won’t survive in this world of gang life,” My eyes narrowed to slits, he was so irritating. “I’ve warned you many times, to stay away from Zach and his pathetic excuse for a gang. You don’t belong with them - even though I’d love to have you – you don’t belong with my gang either. That’s because this life of war isn’t for you.”

He lounged back in his seat once again. I opened my mouth to contradict but mum walked in holding a huge dish of lasagna with floral patterned mittens.

She set it down on the table. “Dinner!” She sung cheerily. Liam cut himself a piece oblivious to my harsh glare.

“C’mon Mi-Mi. Tuck in.” Liam handed me the serving spoon. My hands balled into fists by my plate. I shoved my chair back.

“I’m not hungry.” I spat, storming from the room.

Mums brow furrowed. “Rhiannon sweetie what’s wrong?” I ignored her and stomped up the stairs, slammed my door, a sign that I didn’t want to speak to anyone. I fell face down on my bed and curled up in a ball.

But of course she came up anyway. “Rhiannon what’s going on?” She sat on the edge of my bed and rubbed circles on my back.

I sat up. “Mum, how can you trust him?! You know what he’s done, why are you letting him have dinner with us?!”

Mum sighed. “Rhiannon, he explained everything and apologized. And ever since your fathers passing I’ve decided I need to start fresh, forgive and forget.” She explained.

“But he’s killed people! Innocent people, how could you do this?!” I wailed, falling back into my pillow.

“I’m sure you’ll learn to forgive him too. I’m going back to dinner, if you feel like joining us again you’re very welcome.” She kissed my hair and left the room, closing the door softly behind her.

Fuck the adrenalin rush off Rapture. Could I just make up my mind already?!

I’m either part of them, are I’m not.

Jesus Rhiannon, screw you head on straight.

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading, subscribe and comment? :)

Thanks, Rose. Aka MemoriesdonoJustice.