Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

Hold Your Tongue

- ZACH'S POV -

I woke with a start, I’d been dreaming for some time. They weren’t dreams, they were nightmares. All my terrifying memories from the car crash that killed my parents had taken over my mind, the one place I couldn’t escape them.

“Zach!” Though her figure was blurry I knew it was Rhiannon.

“Rhi, where’s Liam. Get him here now!” I groaned, trying to roll off the bed.

“Zach, what are you doing? Liam’s gone already, calm down.” It only took a light shove from her to make me collapse back on the bed.

I turned my head sharply towards her. “Where am I?” I asked slightly groggy.

“You’re in Marcus and Scarlett’s apartment.” She informed me, her eyes full of concern. Her whole face was creased with worry. I hated that.

“I’m sorry.” I gushed guiltily. I most likely wouldn’t be allowed to set foot in the Balker household ever again.

“It’s okay, I understand. Liam was being a complete and utter jerk.” Her smile was all the reassurance I needed. I exhaled loudly, my stomach felt tender and sore. I looked to the clock on the side table to see it was only six am.

“Shouldn’t you be at home in bed? It’s so early.” I looked to Rhi just in time to see her covering her mouth as she yawned.

“No, its fine... I’d rather stay here with you.” She smiled halfheartedly.

My voice dropped to a whisper. “You have prom tonight.”

Her face fell at my words. “I already told you I’m not going to prom without you…” As she spoke she took my hand.

I simpered. “Okay fine don’t go to prom… but at least get dressed up. I’ll pick you up at seven.”

She frowned smiling. “What are you planning Zach?” She quirked a brow. God it was cute!

“Oh nothing… Just make sure your ready by seven.” I grinned to myself. “You should go, you have school soon.”

She got to her feet with a sigh. “Your right… I’ll see you tonight.” She leaned over and kissed my cheek, it was sudden and I found myself astonished. Noticing what an affect she’d had on me Rhi giggled her way out the door.

Damn, she was just incredible.

- RHIANNON'S POV -

“So Rhi,” Jackson had been silent for the whole English lesson, I knew he would eventually speak. “I was asked to prom by another girl but I’d easily turn her down if you’d agree to go to prom with myself.” He gestured to himself overly confident.

I made a disgusted throaty sound. “I think you should accept the other girl’s proposal, because I’m not going to prom, especially not with you.” I’d used up all my patience with Liam last night. I had none left for the boys of Lake Saint Clair High. I’d received many date invitations from a range of guys and each one I’d rejected with reassurance and yet a tinge of guilt.

To my luck Tiarne leaned back on her chair. “Hey freak, piss off, I need to speak to Rhi alone.” Jackson didn’t budge. “Move now idiot!” She growled, pushing him off his chair. The whole classroom burst into fits of laughter at the charade.

“Fine...” He grumbled, walking over to Maddison Sheppard with less than no dignity.

Tiarne stifled a laugh before she got to the point. “Do you know what the guys are up to?” She asked me.

I shook my head. “I’m about as clueless as you are.”

“Luke said he’s picking me up for Prom... I don’t know why.” Well it seemed as if all the guys were planning something for their girls. “All I know is that Scarlett’s in on it.”

I shrugged it off. “I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.”

***

Tiarne dusted my face once more with powder. “God you need to get a tan, I’m lucky I found pale enough foundation…” Tiarne started rummaging through her makeup bag again. “Eye shadow, eye shadow…” She whispered to herself.

“Okay enough ghostly pale jokes, please… Just do my make up.” I said dryly.

“Close your eyes.” She instructed, dipping her brush into dark purple eye shadow.

Like most evenings we were getting ready in my bedroom. I’d been lucky. Mum had let me back into the house with only a warning and a ban on the phone for a week.

“Where’s Scar?” I wondered inquisitively. I thought I’d finally gotten past the secretive stage with Rapture, maybe not…

“I don’t know.” Tiarne paused to frown. “Well as I said, I think she’s in on whatever the boys are doing.” She took a step back from me and grinned pleased with her work. “You look spectacular. Just wait till you put on that dress!” She enthused. Looking at the time she whined softly. “Do you think you’ll be able to finish up yourself? I’ve got to get back home before Luke comes to pick me up.”

I smiled, nodding. “Go ahead. I’m sure I’ll see you tonight.”

“Thanks Rhi, love you!” She hugged me lightly, threw her things into her handbag and shuffled out the door, taking care not to trip in her three inch silver heels. I decided to get dressed, my hair and makeup was done, now it was time for the finishing touch.

I pulled my curtains closed and removed my old sweats. The dark purple silk dress was laid out neatly on my bed. It slipped easily down and over my shoulders and past my waist. At least I had a nice dress to help ease the pain of prom night.

For at least five minutes I sat on my bed, head in my hands praying that somehow I would be saved from prom night. The rain raged against the roof.

There was a tapping on my window. I staggered buck when an unfamiliar face was trying to force my window open. I wasn’t sure what to do at first, but I felt compelled to open the window. With shaking fingers I turned the latch and pulled the window open.

“Are you Rhiannon Balker?” The man gushed as he looked me right in the eye.

“Y-yes?”

His stiff hands gripped my shoulders. “Where is she?”

My brow furrowed. “W-who are you?” I questioned, stepping back.

“My name is Officer Jeremy Blackwood and I need to know where Carmen O’Neil is!” Officer? Oh god, he didn’t know.

“I-I think you should come in.” I forced the window open the whole way and he ducked inside, dripping. I threw him a towel from the bathroom and he wrapping it around himself.

“So I’m guessing you know where she is seeing as you invited me in?” He thought, scrubbing his hair dry with the towel.

A lump was building deep in my throat, rising with every misguided word he spoke. “Sit down.” I ordered, trying my best to smile. He sat on my office chair and spun around till he was facing me.

“Before I tell you anything, do you know who I am?”

“Yes, you’re Rhiannon Balker.” He was resisting the urge to roll his eyes. I could see it through his expression.

“Don’t play dumb with me. Don’t think I don’t remember you.” He was an idiot to think he could pass himself off as just another man.

“Yes fine, I know exactly who you are and what your apart of. I know what you people have done, and don’t think your help will grant you a pardon you horrid murderer.”

An outraged sound escaped my lips. “Wow, for some of the top investigators in the country you guys are pretty dumb. Or maybe you just accused the first people you found so you didn’t lose your job.” I mocked, rolling my eyes. “And the fact that you would come into a ‘criminals’ house for answers about your dead girlfriend just shows how professional you are...” He looked totally insulted for a split second.

My hands snapped up to my mouth, my eyes widened.

“She’s dead?” He stammered, staring off into space teary eyed before he collapsed on the floor, head down.

“Oh god, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to-”

“How?” He looked up. “Who?”

It was a chance to clear my name, to clear all of Rapture. “One thing you must know Mr. Blackwood is that you have been completely wrong about the people responsible for the deaths of the wealthy. I know-”

“Listen here you!” Jeremy shouted “I don’t want your excuses! What you and your little mob have done is inexcusable. I am one of the top investigators in my field and I think I’d know if I’d been investigating the wrong gang of criminals. Don’t make me angry, because I could easily arrest you right here and now!” His face went from red to pink then finally he calmed down. “I’ll ask again. Who?!”

“Liam Balker.” I said through tight lips.

“Your brother?”

I nodded wordlessly.

“Ha, you’re all a bunch of crooks you Balkers.” He grabbed my chair and threw it out the window shattering the glass.

God, how many times would we be replacing windows around here? “I’ll get you and your little crew if it’s the last thing I do.” He vowed as he lowered himself out the window and jumped from the Cyprus to the ground.

At first all I could think was how cliché his words were, but then my mind started playing tricks on me, letting lose pictures I thought I’d locked deep in the caves of my mind. Carmen dead on the ground, why oh why couldn’t I stop thinking about it?

My worries vanished with two clear knocks from downstairs.

I straightened myself up and one flash in the mirror showed I looked fine. I ran downstairs to the door and found myself breathing unevenly till I pulled it open and stopped breathing altogether.

“Why hello Miss Beautiful.” He said I was beautiful, good sign.

I grinned mainly to myself. “Thank you.” I replied shakily.

It was hard to take a compliment when something so serene and beautiful was standing right before my very eyes. His tux was jet black, frighteningly dark in contrast to his skin. His suit matched his black hair too dark to see in the dim light of night. His little grin was too perfect for my heart to bear.

“Something wrong?” He tilted his head to the side, face rapidly stricken with concern.

I deliberated with myself whether to tell him about Jeremy’s rant in my very bedroom just moments ago. “Nothing…” I breathed, taking his hand and towing him inside. His expression lightened with the contact, I wasn’t completely convinced thought. Zach was good at hiding his emotions. “So do I get any insight into where you are whisking me off to after prom?” I wondered, idly trying to change the subject. It seemed to work.

For a moment he seemed to enjoy something privately, his eyes looking very amused. “Nope, not a chance.” He winked and brought our faces closer.

Mum entered the room just in time to spoil the moment.

“Ahem. Shouldn’t you two be going off to prom now?” Mums stern expression made me stiffen. She hadn’t mentioned anything about Zach since the little incident a few days ago and I instantly wondered whether she’d let down her barricades towards him after seeing him barbarically fight Liam. I only prayed she wouldn’t ask him to leave.

“Yes mum, we’re just going to my room to get my bag.”

Before I could get out of there mum spoke. “Oh and Rhiannon, what was that smashing sound I heard before?” She raised one brow.

“Oh… I accidently dropped some perfume bottles off my shelf in the bathroom.” I answered just in time. Her eyes narrowed but she nodded to my relief and walked back to the living room.

“Smashing sound?” Zach queried, eyebrows pulled together.

“Don’t worry about it…” I muttered, pulling him up the stairs before he could stare the truth out of me. With a loud sigh he smiled and followed me upstairs, it didn’t take long for it to fade when he saw the broken glass scattered across my floor.

“What happened here?!” His eyes were bulging, wide open. I took a step in front of him, blocking the mess from his site.

“Please don’t freak, let me explain.” My pleas went unheard. I knew his blood was already boiling.

“Who’s been here?” He demanded in a low, firm voice.

My forehead crumpled as my conscience fought the battle with my lips. “Jeremy Blackwood.”

From the look on his face, he hadn’t been expecting that. “Jeremy Blackwood, the detective? What did he want from you?”

I knew what he really wanted to know, why or what did he smash your window for? “He was asking about Carmen.”

“Of course he was. Still…What on earth provoked him to smash your window?” Ah, there it was. The question he’d wanted to ask in the first place. Hate to say I told you so.

I breathed out through my nose and took his hands, holding them up between us I made an honest effort to explain. “Well, it’s hard to explain. From what he’d said, I’m quite sure he believes Rapture is the gang responsible for the murders that Liam and his gang have been committing.

Zach groaned. “Oh Rhiannon, how much trouble can one tiny girl get into.” He shook his head mockingly and kissed my bandaged hand. “Shame you’ve got one arm in a cast and bandaged hand for prom.” Zach breathed a laugh.

“Well at least the scars are fading.” It wasn’t really all true, I had many scars. Some visible, some not.

“Do you mind? I think we should be going now.” He nodded his head slightly to the door.

“Oh, sure.” I ran to my bed and grabbed my purse. He was ready and waiting at my door, arm extended. I took it and like in a fairy tale we sauntered down the stair case.

“Prom Snap!” Tiarne sang, stepping in front of us.

“Tiarne?!” I exclaimed as the flash momentarily blinded me.

Tiarne giggled. “It’s your prom snap, maybe you should try smiling?”

I rolled my eyes. “No photo’s Tiarne.”

“Aw c’mon?!” She groaned, stomping her foot on the hard parquetry floor.

“You look beautiful, humor her.” Zach instructed in a whisper. My heart was beating like birds wings.

I squeeze my lips into a hard line for a moment before I plastered on a half hearted smile registering the compliment. The camera clicked and the flash went off.

Tiarne smiled at the photo. “Perfect.”

“What are you doing in my house Tiarne?”

Her mouth turned into a small O. “Aw its prom night, just because you have some sort of prejudice against it doesn’t mean it can’t be fun for everyone else.”

I groaned loudly. Luke and Tiarne laughed noisily.

“Humor them.” Zach repeated flashing me a shinning white grin. God, why did he have to do that? My heart was melting here!

“One day my hearts going to give up trying to fight it…” I mumbled to myself.

Zach seemed to hear and smirked the rest of the way down the stairs.

“Are you going to tell me where you’re taking me now?” I ran my fingers down his forearm noticing the faded scars from bullet grazes to deep cuts. My curiosity was burning.

He chuckled “You’re still little Miss Confused now aren’t you?” He quirked a brow.

“Very much so…” Then something came to mind. “And you’re still Mr. Jerk.” I added smugly.

“Hey! I thought we’d put that silly – and hurtful – nickname behind us.” He pretended to be shot in the heart.

I snickered quietly. “Okay, I’m sorry.” I cooed, touching my nose to his.

“Hey Miss Confused and Mr. Jerk get your asses outside, its’ time to go!” Luke called from the front door.

“Interruptions are getting very irritating.” Zach grumbled, leaning away gloomily. I grimaced towards the door. “You too?” He queried.

I nodded grimacing again. “We’d better go.”

He too nodded, I thought I heard Zach whisper something incoherently. Once again questions were flooding into my mouth, I could barely conceal them behind me lips.

Zach was waiting by his Camero, holding the door open for me. I stepped into the passenger seat and he handed me a small box and a corsage of beautiful purple and white roses. He was already in the driver’s seat watching me examine the box.

“What is it?” I whispered hoarsely, I felt weirdly intimidated by the one tiny black box.

“Open it.”

I stared at him for longer than I should have before I lifted the tiny lid. “Where did you get this from?” I could barely speak. Buried in a sea of black silk was the most beautiful ring, it was as violet as my dress shimmering like the most magnificent, dazzling gem I’d ever seen.

“It was my mother’s favorite ring, the gems an Amethyst.” He commented softly, his face just as charming as the indigo stone.

“It’s so beautiful.”

“I’m glad you like it, it took me a great deal of trouble to get that back.” He took it gently from the box and slid it onto my middle finger. “Perfect fit.” I watched lost for words as he turned on the engine oblivious to the fact I was totally taken away by his altruistic ways.

“What do you mean ‘you went to a great deal of trouble’ to get it back?” I demanded, eyes narrowing.

He shook his head over and over as he pulled out of the driveway. “When I ran from Liam, that night he tried to kill me all those years ago, the first time I went back home I found my home stripped of all its valuable items. Some of those items being my mum’s jewelry…” He glanced at me inquisitively searching for any change in my mood.

I had to admit, I thought he’d meant he’d robbed a bank or stolen it from a jewelry store.

As much as I didn’t want to show my outrage I gave in, “Are you saying you went after Liam to steal this?!” My tone was quickly panicky. The thought of him within miles of Liam made me visibly anxious. Weeks ago I wouldn’t have given it a second though seeing as Zach was so much stronger than an average nineteen year old.

Things had changed.

“Well technically it belonged to my family in the first place, but yes I did sneak into his base to get it back…” He revealed with a cheeky smile.

My jaw hit rock bottom. “Zach you didn’t have to do that. You could have been killed if they’d found you!” I stressed, unable to convey the pure worry that I felt.

“Relax. I’ve been doing this kind of shit for years. Now put your seatbelt on, you look like you’re going to go flying off the seat.”

I pulled the seat belt across and locked it into place. Looking up I noticed the school shimmering in a frenzy of lights, I felt slightly nauseated at the thought of dancing, acting up beat and exuberant for a few hours. “Uh Zach, you missed the turn off for the school. It’s back there.” I told him as we zoomed on past the entrance to Lake Saint Clair high.

“Oh did I…?” He mumbled smirking. I gawked at him for some time. He noticed this and floored the gas pedal down even further.

“Where are you taking me?!” I watched the Café, general store and gas station buzz by in a blur.

“I’m kidnapping you.” He winked spinning the wheel so we skidded with speed around the corner.

“Don’t do that!” I yelled, clinging to the seat as if I was stuck upside down on an amusement park ride with nothing holding me to the seat. He rolled down the windows at the next stop light, I thought I was safe for a moment but then the light flashed green and the terror continued. “Do you enjoy giving me heart attacks?!” I seriously wondered if he did.

He threw his head back and laughed, the wind blew through his hair like a storm.

I screamed and ducked for the wheel “Eyes on the road!”

He laughed even louder, so much he was literally shaking. “Your unbelievable cute when you frightened to death.” I scowled at Zach. “You’ll forgive me when you see what I’ve got prepared.”

I could either be an idiot or smart to believe him.

“Okay…” I turned my head back to the open window watching the trees blur like a watercolor painting. I loved the feeling of the wind swirling in my hair. I loved the smell of the forest surrounding me. I loved the fact that tonight I could be remotely normal - I could relax and put my feet up for a few hours.

“Lake St Clair?” I frowned hoping I could get some answers. Why here?

“Just be patient, we’re almost there.”

I looked down at the ring then pulled the corsage onto my slightly mobile hand. I felt the need to be prepared for what was coming. I should have known he was planning something. He was always one step ahead of me.

Ironically he parked in the exact same spot I’d parked the first day I’d come to see him. It was like he’d known.

The lake was stunning at night, but nothing could compare to Zach. I didn’t deserve the luck I’d had recently. I was always just lucky, only ever just able to slip through. It was beyond me why he’d chosen me from the enormous array of girls that filled the heart and soul of Michigan.

I didn’t fit into the life I’d been given – gang life - I wasn’t afraid to admit it. Why oh why did he want me? Especially over someone like Rachel Harper on the Cheerleading team, Joanna Davies the smarted girl at school or Bonnie Freedman the captain of the girls’ basket ball team.

He held his arm out and I took it shakily, I couldn’t help but brood over my doubts. In the back of the mind I thought it might just be one big joke and the whole town was in on it.

“You look very nervous.” He noted walking me to the edge of the forest.

I pretended to wipe the sweat off my forehead jokingly. I didn’t speak, my voice would give away that under the joking smile I was honestly terrified.

We took are time down the trail, unlike the time we’d run it in fear, fury or pain. It was so peaceful.

Zach yanked my arm and pulled me back to his side. “Promise you won’t freak once we turn the corner?”

“Is there a dead body in the bushes or something?” I whispered in dread.

He chuckled. “No. Just promise okay, because I don’t want this to be all soppy and crying and stuff…” Zach rubbed his neck shyly.

It was silent. “Okay…” I finally agreed.

“Just don’t cry or anything.”

“I promise.” I wrapped my arm around his and we turned around the trees, they were more tightly packed together as the forest grew denser. I could see lights through the ferns and hanging leaves. I wanted to ask what it was but I held my tongue.

The lights grew brighter and I grew more anxious till the trees parted and I thought I collapse.

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooo suspense, haha, sorry I just had to...
- I'd love some comments on what you think of how the stories progressing

Thanks, Rose. Aka MemoriesdonoJustice.