Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

Princess

“We have to protect Clarissa, that who Liam wants.” I whispered, tightening the strap around my thigh before bending down to tie the laces on my boots.

“I know, but we can’t go through the hallways, we’ll bump into them without warning then it’ll be over.” Zach hissed back, face creased with frustration as he struggled to get his jacket on. I took the small silver torch from the front pocket of my suitcase, held it in my mouth, then went for the switchblade Zach had given me the previous morning.
The room went silent.

“Could I say something?” Tiarne said in a small voice, hesitant as if she felt she would be shunned. Luke, Zach and I all nodded. “Why don’t we climb onto the roof, climb down the ladders on the other side of the building?” She looked nervous and she watched our reactions.

“That’s actually a good idea… We’d have the height advantage.” Zach started nodding, a sense of hope coming over him. “C’mon leave the bags just take anything you wouldn’t want them to find. We’ll come back for them once we lose Liam.

I rushed to my handbag, taking my phone, wallet and pictures - anything precious - shoving them into my pockets.

“Follow me, weapons at the ready.” Zach strode to the door, ear against it listening for activity on the other side. I loaded my gun, the cartridge clicking into place. My hands shook uncontrollably but I just kept breathing in and out steadily. Slowly inch by inch he eased the door open. “Go quickly, Jeremy’s room.” Zach waved his hand, eyes darting left and right searching for any sign of Liam or his men. “Clear” He said. I ran on my tiptoes, trying to make as little noise as possible, gun out in front of me though I couldn’t see much in the dim light. Jeremy opened the door for us and we slid in quickly. Everybody was there, preparing.

Zach went straight to Aaron and told him about Tiarne’s idea, Aaron looked pleased. Marcus and Mitch were at the window, looking down on the street where Liam and his gang stood in the shadows, they too were preparing to break in the front door and take us by surprise, but for now we were one step ahead of them. Jeremy knelt into the corner behind the bed, holding onto his little girl tightly.

“Listen up everyone.” Aaron said quietly, calling the groups attention. “We’re going to head upstairs onto the roof. We’ll find a way down then try make our way down to the River and across it. There we can hide deeper in the city. Liam won’t strike where there are too many witnesses.”

“Aaron there’s only industrial areas across the river from here. We’d have to run further north towards the main freeways.” Julia said, eyes grave.

Aaron’s face was grim. “Then that’s what we’ll have to do.” He said hands balled into fists. “The staircase is just down the hall, the door to the roof will most likely be locked so we need two or three strong boys to take point, take down the door and secure the roof. Ladies, you will follow, closely guarding Clarissa followed by myself and Zach. The girls will then take Clarissa down to the river, head north and wait for the rest of us to meet you there underneath the first freeway bridge. If worse comes to worse our reconvene point will be back at beach side hotel we stayed at last week.” As we turned to leave he held his hand up. We all stopped. “Be careful, stick together and obey orders. I’m not fucking losing anyone tonight, you hear me?”

My jaw tight and neck stiff with fear, I couldn’t nod.
Mitch, Luke, Marcus and Jeremy took the lead. Armed and ready we waited for the go ahead.
Jeremy left Clarissa at my side and stared me so deeply in the eyes I feat nauseous. “I’m leaving my little Clarissa with you, she is my world. I feel I can trust to more than anyone here to keep her safe tonight Rhiannon.”

I swallowed, tying to hold tears back. “I-” My words disappeared before they could leave the tip of my tongue.

“I have to stay with the boys and hold Liam back so I can’t come with you till I’ve done that. Till we meet to at the freeway bridge I’m leaving you and the girls the responsibility of keeping my daughter safe, I know you can do it Rhiannon, I’m putting my faith into you tonight.”

I’d been scared before, I’d almost choked on fear that afternoon when Zach had left me in a tree in the middle of the forest alone and unarmed. I’d never experienced a more gut wrenching night than the evening Liam let me loose only to hunt me down like an animal hours later. This was just as bad, maybe worse because now the life of a little girl was in my hands.

“Alright,” I whispered, my voice shaking the way Clarissa shook as she clutched onto my leg. Jeremy kissed his daughter and joined the boys at the front of the group.

“Okay go, they’re about to break down the front door go now!” Aaron hissed.

I couldn’t leave without saying goodbye to Zach. I left Clarissa for a second and ran to Zach. “I love you.” I said, taking his face in my hands and kissing him fiercely. He blinked a few times, looking surprised.

“Rhiannon, c’mon go.” Aaron said pushily, signaling at the door.

I jogged back to Clarissa, gun ready and moved with the group behind the boys. “Hold my hand sweetie.” I whispered to Clarissa, holding her tiny little hand tightly as I helped her into the stairwell and up each set of stairs. Her little legs couldn’t move very fast and she kept whimpering. A hand suddenly held forth a little toy bunny, I looked up, Scarlett was smiling down at Clarissa. She instantly stopped crying and hugged her favorite toy lovingly. I mouthed a ‘thank you’.

Once we reached the top of the stairwell all four boys were ramming their shoulders into the door together, the old wooden door shook and creaked but finally flew open. They stepped briskly out into the open, guns sweeping across each direction.

“Clear”

“Clear”

“Clear” Each of them said before meeting back in the middle. “You see anybody trying to get onto the roof take them down quietly, don’t open fire unless it’s the only option left.” Marcus instructed, walking to the edge of the roof and peeking over the edge. “Three story drop…” He muttered. “There are two ladders, one to the east of the building and one to the west, we’ll take the west. Ladies first...”

Scarlett shrugged and offered to go down first. “Cover me boys.” She said to Marcus, kissing his cheek before slowly lowering herself onto the fire escape ladder.

“You’ll have ten minutes to get to the river that’s as long as we’ll hold them back. They most likely won’t attack you there. You’ll be in too great a view for witnesses.” Aaron explained as Julia prepared to go down next. I watched intently as she climbed down followed Tiarne. My stomach was doing flips as I prayed they wouldn’t be ambushed at the bottom.

Clarissa began tugging on my shorts. “I’m scared” She whispered, trembling.

I smiled weakly. “It’ll be okay.”

Zach motioned for me to go down the ladder next. I tried not to make eye contact, scared I wouldn’t be able to leave him if I did. My site of the roof disappeared with each step down the ladder. Clarissa came down the ladder after me, handing me her bunny to hold on the way down. I could see Scarlett and a few of the others waiting at the bottom, eyes immensely aware of each movement that went on around them. It was like watching a hawk with eyes so sharp you didn’t stand a chance of escape.

I let my legs dangle for a moment before dropping to the ground, bending my legs for the impact. I turned back for Clarissa and helped her down handing her, her toy bunny. Scar waved her hand once, beckoning us to follow. Instinctively I took Clarissa’s hand and pulled her along. I looked back at Zach who was now making his way down the ladder, my heart ached.

Careful movements followed by careful steps and vigilance. Ten minutes to the river, ten minutes up it and to safety. We clung to the walls of nearby buildings, the streets bare and cold in the dead of the night. Suddenly all houses and apartment blocks seemed to fade away till all that we could see were factories and warehouses. Then there it was, the empty L.A river empty and gaping at us.

“Go Rhiannon, we’ve got your back.” Scar said, gesturing for me to take the lead, I didn’t like this feeling of overwhelming responsibility. I picked up Clarissa and held her against my waist. I could feel her breath across my neck as she hid her face in my hair. Water splashed onto my jeans as I ran through a few shallow puddles, eyes set on the first bridge further up the river. Though following the river was the easiest way to find the heart of the city it also left us in the open and venerable. I felt like my heart was climbing up my throat with every stride,

I was trying to move quickly but carrying Clarissa made that almost impossible.

“You’ve got to get down and run with me sweetie, I can run carrying you.” I said to her as calmly as I could. I bent down and tried to put her down but she whimpered in my ear and clung tighter to my neck. I sighed, my breathing becoming rushed as I started to panic.

Finally we passed under the first bridge.

A loud gunshot blasted down the river. I ducked, holding Clarissa’s head down as I sped up. I looked over my shoulder to see the girls’ stopping to take points at the columns of the first bridge Scarlett coordinating them. My eyes shot forward at the rumbling sound of a motor bike, suddenly a masked rider burst through one of the gates swerving widely as he sped down into the empty river. I pulled the gun from my holster and aimed.

“Rhiannon stop!” The rider shouted. I recognized the voice immediately, and that grey scarf that covered his face. Zach.

I couldn’t hold back tears, I ran quickly to him almost in sobs. “Zach I can’t- I don’t know what to do. What’s happening?” I gushed as he took my face in his hand trying to sooth me.

“We tried to hold them back but too many of them slipped past, they’re close behind. What’s worse is there isn’t any sign of Liam or his henchmen so we have to get out of here and now.” He said handing me the helmet. “Put that on her and get on, we’re getting out of here-”

Zach was interrupted mid sentence by the roar of a car engine and the sound of screeching tyers up ahead on second empty bridge. A familiar white van stopped in the middle, a barrage of armed men exited and lined up along the bridge. “Run!” Zach yelled, grabbing my hand.”

Behind us I could see the girls running after us overwhelmed by the group behind them.

They opened fire on the men along the bridge.

I raised my weapon and for the first time I felt ready to pull the trigger. I aimed and boom, the gun jerked back with each shot. My breathing stopped momentarily as I saw a man fall back shouting in pain as he clutched his shoulder, slamming back into the side of the white van.

“Forget about them Rhi we have to go!”

I ran after Zach. I could feel Clarissa shaking. She was wailing and crying loudly. We clamored up the gate Zach had came through and sunk into the absolute darkness of a little alley way

“Torch” Zach said as he tried to find his own. I beat him to it, I pushed the button and a little stream of light appeared falling upon a furious face. I screamed, almost dropping the torch.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?!” Liam growled punching Zach square in the face. He fell to the ground and didn’t get up.

“Oh my god, Zach!” Clarissa started to wail louder against my neck. “Clarissa run!” I put her down and sensing the urgency she obeyed and ran through the darkness ahead of us. Liam just laughed scornfully. I realized why when I heard her scream.

Another torch light appeared and another guy appeared out of the darkness restraining
Clarissa at his side, it was Flynn of course. I could hear Zach groaning on the ground struggling to get up.

“How many times must I tell you Rhiannon? Stay out of things or you will be killed.” Liam began, as he took a gun from his holster and held it up threateningly. “Yet you never listen, it’s as if you want to die. Baby sis I don’t really want to kill you but when you pull shit like this that’s when I start to reconsider…” His eyes darted up and met mine.

“You’re pathetic!” I screamed. In the background I could hear gunshots and feet hitting the ground. Scarlett backed up by her girls came up behind me cautiously.

“Oh and why would I be pathetic?” Liam asked, pretending to care about whatever answer I gave.

My face scrunched up in anger. “Because you’re using some innocent little girl to get your way, you are pathetic!”

He held up one finger and went to speak but he was cut off. Zach got up from the ground and tackled Flynn. “Run!” Zach shouted at Clarissa. Again Clarissa ran but within seconds a group of men emerged gripping her shoulders tightly and she cried. Flynn pinned Zach’s arms behind his back.

“Would you all just quit with the bullshit, stop trying to outsmart me because that’s what’s starting to get pathetic!” He turned around. “Give me the girl.” He ordered, his men brought her forward. Liam gripped her shoulder before gently stroking her hair. “You think I care about this girl?” He asked mockingly. “You think I need her to win? Because I don’t, I really don’t.”

Three things happened then. Jeremy and the other boys came rushing through the gate and into the group of girls, startled to see Liam and his men with Clarissa. Zach broke free and swung his fist into Flynn’s jaw sending him flying into the wall. Liam held the trigger to Clarissa’s head and did something unthinkable, something I never thought him capable of…

He pulled the trigger.

The night was suddenly filled with screams.

A line of Liam’s men advanced weapons pointed. Liam wiped his bloody hand on his
jeans and stepped away from Clarissa as her dead body fell to the ground. “Kill her father or he’ll talk.” He said casually, waving his hand at Jeremy who was screaming as tried to get to his daughter. The line of men ran at Jeremy who was now on his knees crying at his daughter’s body. Scarlett, Zach, Luke, Aaron, everyone were calling out in distress. The situation was too overwhelming for words.

“Fuck you all!” Jeremy shouted in tears as he ran past the line of men, he broke into a sprint once he got to the end of the ally but a shot hit him in the foot and he shrieked in pain but kept running.

“Follow him!” Liam said.

“NO!” I roared raising my gun at Liam. I squeezed my eyes shut and pulled the trigger.

I heard him grunt and fall to the ground. My eyes popped open but to my surprise he was getting back up with the help of bruised Flynn and a few of his other henchmen. Laughing as he wiped his mouth he raised up his shirt to reveal a bullet proof vest. “You’re not the only one with contacts.” He said in a low husky voice, a sly smile spreading across his face.

I felt someone tugging on my arm. It was Scarlett. “We have to go while we still can.” She said her voice shaky from crying. I nodded still infuriated but I knew she was right. Zach took my hand and we all pushed past Liam and his few men left sprinting as fast as we could. It didn’t matter where we were going we just needed to get away.

Aaron caught up to us with blood running from his nose. I wanted to ask what had happened but deep down I already knew. “We’ve got to get out things and some cars, we’ll hide out at McGinnis Academy and wait for Liam to come to us.”

“Then what…?” I asked.

“Then we really will kill him, once and for all.”

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I just thought I'd let everybody know I've already finished writing the whole of Pitch Black Heaven and I've spent the past few months editing the first draft of it (what I've been posting here on Mibba) and I've already begun the final rewrite. So that's why I haven't posted in months.

So there's the third major death in the story and prepare for one last major one to come. There are only around 4-5 chapters left of the whole story so be prepared for a huge finale. And one last thing before I go, if this story turns out successfully and get some good feedback at the very end then I've got an idea for a sequel. What do you guys think about a sequel, would it be worth it?

Thank you to everybody who has stuck with this story, I know I've been terrible with updates and hopefully it's been worth the wait so far.

Thanks, Rose. Aka, MemoriesdonoJustice.