Please?

oh.

Demi always hated it when Nick called. But when Nick called, Demi had to answer. Because if Demi didn’t answer, Nick would come over and ask the girl why she was mad at him and Demi was never mad at him. She couldn’t be.

“What is it, Nick?” she snapped, placing her phone next to her ear.

“Why do you always snap at me like that?” Nick demanded. He was probably rolling his eyes. “Is it so wrong that I just wanted to hear your voice?”

Demi ignored the fact that it was two in the morning. “What is it, Nick?”

“Why are you in such a bad mood?”

“I wasn’t before you called.”

“Whatever,” Nick said, pausing. “Are you going out with Cody later today?”

“Yeah, I am, so…”

“Don’t hang up on me,” he said quickly. “I just wanted to know.”

Demi sighed audibly. She didn’t say anything.

“I don’t get it. Why can’t be friends… normal friends? Are you jealous I went out to lunch with Sel?”

No! Absolutely not.”

“Then I don’t get it. At all.”

“Are you jealous I’m going out with Cody?”

There was a second of silence. “Yeah. I am.”

“Oh.”

“Can you please just tell me what to do? If you want me to never call or text you,” Nick paused again, holding his breath, “I-I’ll try.”

The resignation in Nick’s voice made Demi bite the insides of her mouth and close her eyes. She didn’t want that.

“Demi? Did you hang up?”

“No.” Demi’s voice cracked.

“Don’t cry,” he whispered. “Please?”

“Okay.” Dem sighed again. “I have to go.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow – I mean later.”

---

Demi did see Nick hours later. She looked more annoyed than usual, but she was always annoyed around Nick, regardless how much. Nick didn’t take much notice on it, he just smiled.

“Did you have fun with Cody?”

Demi eyed him carefully. “Yeah.”

“Cool. Do you hate me?”

“What – no I don’t.”

Nick’s smile shrunk. Demi raised an eyebrow at him. “Are you sure?” he pushed.

“You’re making it really hard for me not to,” she muttered.

“Oh.” Nick popped his lips.

“Yeah. Oh.” Demi played with her bangs, tugging on them before tucking them behind her ear.

“… Sure?”

Nick.” She glared at him. “Why do you always think I hate you – I don’t hate anybody! I get annoyed, like right now.”

“Oh.” Nick nodded and again, he said, “Oh.

“I’m sorry.” Demi’s voice was quieter. “I just wish you’d stop thinking I do.”

Nick smiled, even though Demi wasn’t looking at him. “Can I have a smile, then, since you don’t hate me?” he asked. “Please?”

She raised her head, slowly, a skeptical look on her face, she didn’t smile. Nick nudged her side, his smile never leaving his face.

“Okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are amazing.