Smooth Criminals

Alliance

Image
I froze in place for a second or two just looking up at Michael and then over at John with a shocked expression on my face. Michael's smile slowly faded. John wasn't smiling either.

My feet began to move me backwards. Michael stopped me by putting his hands up in surrender.

"Easy little darling. It's alright if you're a lady. We ain't gonna tell nobody." His voice was probably higher than mine, but it was somehow very reassuring and kind.

I stopped backing up and just stood there waiting for them to do something to me. He did say he wasn't going to tell. And besides, what was I supposed to run from? This was the moment I've always waited for. The moment that I would meet the Dynamic Duo. Well, I met them. What was next?

John stepped closer to the side of Michael. Michael's smile returned underneath his shadowed face. He lifted his arm and pulled back his fedora so that I could see his eyes.

His eyes were brown and they were beautiful. I wasn't certain if they were brown in the dark, but they were beautiful. They sparkled as if they were smiling. John on the other hand, just stood next to Michael appearing to be waiting for orders.

Michael smiled more as he put his hands down. "You have some pretty tough moves for a lady."

John nodded. "Very impressive for a lady."

I couldn't tell if he was making fun of me or complementing me. I took it as a complement so I could put myself at a little ease.

"What do you want?" I asked in my actual voice.

Michael gave a toothy grin. "Well, for starters, we don't want to hurt you. If we did, it would be a loss at your part."

John smiled. "You're something special. Not many women in this town that dress like a man and take the work of a criminal into her own hands actually get away with it."

I tilted my head. "That's because everyone else who does or tried it doesn't understand that when you do happen to do the task, it requires skill."

Michael continued smiling. "And you have that skill."

I looked at him. "We've accomplished that concept, so now may I leave and you never mention of this again?"

Michael gave a little chuckle. "I'm not one to let an opportunity pass and this is indeed an opportunity."

I creased my forehead. "Opportunity?"

He tilted his head a little. "What's your name, little lady?"

I folded my arms. "Well, it's not little lady."

John smiled. "Just tell us your first name so that we don't have to call you pet names?"

Michael turned to his partner. "Who said that was a pet name?"

John shrugged. "I did."

Michael frowned and turned back to me waiting for my response.

I looked down at the ground. "My name's Alyssa." I looked back up at Michael's big brown eyes.

He smiled and held out a hand. "Well, Alyssa, it's my honor."

I looked at his hand and back up at his eyes. He showed no sign of moving his hand. I slowly placed my hand in his. We shook for two seconds and he released. I took my hand back to my side.

My attention drew back across the street when I heard a whimper. I looked over at Donatello who was laying on the curb looking up at me.

"Don, come." I said quickly.

Donatello stood up and pranced across the street and came over to me and sat at my side. I looked at him and then back up at Michael.

"What's the dog's name?" John asked.

Michael looked down at Donatello. I did too.

"His name is Donatello." I forced out. I was still wary of the Dynamic Duo's presence.

John bent down and looked face to face with Donatello. "Hey there big guy."

Donatello looked up at me. I nodded. Donatello looked back at John. John looked up at me.

"Great Dane, right?"

I nodded. John held out his hand to Donatello. Donatello's black paw came up and landed on John's hand. John smiled and shook Donatello's paw.

I gave a small smile. Apparently, Donatello didn't find any trouble with the Dynamic Duo. I guess I shouldn't either.

I looked up at Michael. "So, what opportunity is it that makes you want me to stay and not leave?"

Michael folded his arms across his white suit. He smiled. "Well, since you are forcing the answer out of me," he laughed. John stood up. "Would you like to join us?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Join you?"

He shook his head slightly. "That's what I said, isn't it?"

I rested my forehead and opened my mouth to speak. "Why would you two need a woman to work with you?"

Michael shrugged. "I'm not so sure myself. Maybe I want a change."

"A new addition wouldn't hurt," John said. "Especially if it's a woman."

I didn't bother to think about what he meant about that last part. I looked down at Don. He looked back up at me. I shook my head and looked back up at Michael.

"No one will have to know that you're the Masked Ghost," Michael said, "although if I were you, I'd want all of the attention by having everyone know for one, the Masked Ghost is a woman, and two, the Masked Ghost is working with the Dynamic Duo. Although, if you joined, it may be the Terrible Trio or something that the media comes up with."

John laughed. "The Terrible Trio has a nice ring to it."

Michael smiled and looked at John. "It does, doesn't it?"

"Maybe it'll catch on," John said.

Michael looked back at me. "So what do you say? The Masked Ghost and her Dark Horse join the Dynamic Duo. Crime partners? Partners in crime?" He held out his hand again.

I looked at his hand and then down at Donatello. Donatello looked up at me and gave a single bark. His thick tail began wagging.

I sighed and looked back down at Michael's hand. I slowly took my own hand and placed it in his. We shook our hands together.

"Welcome to the Dynamic Duo," Michael said.

John bent down to Donatello and held out his hand again. Donatello put his paw back on top of John's hand.

"Welcome, Don," John said.

I looked at Donatello, then John, and then Michael. He smiled and released my hand. I took my hand back and pulled my bandanna off from around my neck. I bent down to the ground and grabbed my fedora. I stood up with both of them in my hand. John stood up with me. I looked at both of them.

"What next?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun da dun.... :) Comments make the world go round!