Hello Brooklyn

Chapter 004

Brooklyn lay in her bed that night and listened to the silence, waiting for it. A second later, Jack and Alex's loud laughter reached her ears from downstairs. That had been happening all night and it was already two in the morning, "That's it!" She muttered to herself, pulling on her robe and sliding on her pink fuzzy slippers. She walked down the hall to the stairs and hurried down them, "What the fuck is going on down here!?" She scowled at the bottom step, seeing the two boys in their sleeping bags giggling.

"Nothing," they both said at the same time, innocence written all over their faces.

She sighed, "I really don't care if you have a sleep-over. I just want to be able to sleep in my own house."

"You mean Alex's house?" Jack piped up from the floor.

She glared at him, clenching her fists at her sides, "If you say that one more time, I will punch your mouth in," She threatened darkly. Jack closed his mouth and looked at Alex, gulping. "I am going to sleep, and I don't want to hear one peep out of either of you, or I will end this sleep-over. Got it?"

She looked at both of them, seeing them shake their head. She huffed out a breath of air before turning and going upstairs, "Alex, your girl is kind of anal," Jack said.

"I know." The two boys snickered.

Brooklyn tip-toed back down and stood on the stairs with her hands on her hips, glaring at the boys. Jack glanced to the steps and froze seeing her standing there, "I mean it. I will call the cops on your ass if you don't knock it off," she said.

She climbed back in bed and surprisingly heard nothing from downstairs. She closed her eyes and relaxed. Just as she was about to fall asleep, the door creaked open a little bit. She opened her eyes and saw Jack standing there with what appeared to be a teddy bear, "Brooklyn? Alex, Mr. Humprey and I got scared all alone downstairs," Jack said weakly, "Can we sleep with you?"

"What? No," She said rolling over and closing her eyes. Jack walked over with Alex and climbed in bed anyways, "Did you not hear me? I said no," she said, opening her eyes. She gasped seeing how close Alex was. His eyes twinkled as he smiled.

She looked to her other side and saw Jack in red footy pajamas cuddling with his teddy bear that she guessed was 'Mr. Humprey', his breathing already even telling her he was asleep. She shook her head before burying her face in her pillow, mumbling curse words.

“Hey, hey Brooklyn?” Alex whispered in the exhausted girl’s ear.

“What?” She whined, her voice muffled slightly by the pillow.

“I can’t sleep.” No shit. Brooklyn ignored his complaint, “What’s it like?” Alex asked suddenly.

“What is what like Alex?” She turned to face him, not expecting to see a sullen expression sitting upon his face. “What’s wrong?” She showed a rare concern for him that had only erupted to the surface a few times since they’d met each other.

“I wish I could remember what it was like to be alive,” he whispered softly, careful not to wake Jack., “To feel things.”

“You can pick things up though, and stuff like that. You can move things. Is that not the same?” Brooklyn asked curiously.

“No. I can’t really feel. Not like you do. That’s just something I more or less learned how to do within the months following my uhh… passing,” Nodding, Brooklyn collapsed her head back into her soft pillow.

“Let’s just talk about this tomorrow, Alex. I’m too tired.” Alex nodded and squished his head into a plush pillow on Brooklyn’s bed, hoping to find some sort of comfort. He found nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short update for our lack thereof.
comment/subscribe :)