Hello Brooklyn

Chapter 008

“Alex?” Brooklyn’s lips quivered and her hair was disheveled. She was alone, and it hurt. Brooklyn had always been extremely independent, but she felt like she needed Alex there. She was devastated over the fight. “Alex, I’m sorry.” After no response was lifted, she fell to her knees.

Brooklyn cried, and cried, and cried. Maybe it was the fact that she felt abandoned. Maybe it was the fact that she had possibly ruined the relationship Alex and Jack had. Or maybe… just maybe, it was the fact that no matter how much Brooklyn would deny it, she had developed affection for her very dead roommate.

The linoleum of Brooklyn’s bathroom was cold and uncomforting, but she didn’t have the motivation to move. Her feet were bare, and she felt provocative in only her robe. The door was open, but she hadn’t made it through before she realized she may have made a mistake.

But Jack had to know… didn’t he? Wasn’t that what was right? She didn’t know what was right anymore…

“All I wanted was to let the truth be out. I didn’t want this.” She felt as if she were part of one of her many soap operas. But would her finale be happy? Sad?

“Brookie?” a soft, yet masculine voice echoed from downstairs. “Where are you?”

She recognized the vocals right away. “I’m up here, Jack.”

Sprinting up the stairs, she heard Jack fumble and trip. She giggled a bit and he looked a mess when he finally made it to her destination. “Brookie…” Jack wore a frown, and the sparkle in his eyes had dimmed. “Where’s Alex?” his volume was almost at a whisper.

Brooklyn shrugged and said she didn’t know. Jack reluctantly took a seat next to her and put his arm around her. He couldn’t go to the bar. He couldn’t ruin so many months of hard work just to throw it all away over something that could be resolved. He was mad, but Alex was still his best friend.

"We fought," Brooklyn said after a moment. She brought her eyes up from the floor to look into Jack's brown orbs. "Alex and I fought before he disappeared. Do you think he crossed over, or what ever ghosts do?"

"I don't think so. I think he just left to give you some space."

There was a light knock coming from her bedroom door. Brooklyn's face lit up and she stood, careful not to somehow flash Jack, being in only her robe. She hurried to the door and pulled it open. Her smile slowly faded back into a frown upon seeing a strange man standing before her.

"Jack?" the boy said, looking down at his shoes, not wanting Brooklyn to think that he was staring at her. "Can we go? You know how Zack feels coming here."

Brooklyn looked pass the boy standing before her to see another more built male standing back looking uncomfortable.

Jack walked out of the bathroom. "Sorry, Brookie. I should have told you that I brought over some people. This is Rian- another friend of me and Alex."

She was unsure of what to do so she stayed silent.

"And that's Zack," Jack added. "Alex isn't here now. He left," he said to the two boys.

"Jack, Alex is dead. Obviously, he's not here," Rian said firmly and slowly so he would understand.

"I know he's dead but he was here just half an hour ago. He left! He's a ghost, Ri.!"

Zack laughed humorlessly at Jack's words and ran a hand down his face. "That's impossible, Jack."

"No, no it's not! I'm not crazy! I swear!" Jack cried in his own defense.

Rian shook his head as Jack shoved by him and Brooklyn and started rushing down the hall. "Alex! Get out here! Show them I'm not crazy!" Jack called as he hurried down the hallway.

Brooklyn, who'd seen Alex with her own eyes thought that Jack was acting crazy. She sighed, rushing after the boy who was making his way toward the attic. "Jack," she called softly. "Jack, Alex isn't here anymore. Just sleep it off. Maybe he'll be back in the morning," she said, when she finally reached him. She put a hand on his shoulder in a comforting matter.

"I'm not crazy, Brookie, am I?" he asked, his eyes deadly serious.

She searched his eyes unsure of how to answer his question. She was doubting her own sanity right now meaning that she was in no shape or form to tell him that he was sane. "I don't know," she finally said. "Let's work things out in the morning. Stay here tonight, you're not going to drive in this state."

He nodded, rubbing his eyes before making his way back down the hall to the stairs. Brooklyn and Jack spotted Zack and Rian at the front door.

Lightening lit up the sky and the wind was howling around the house. Brooklyn peered out the window and frowned. "It's horrible outside," she commented as she turned to the two boys who were preparing to leave.

"Can they stay?" Jack asked suddenly.

She looked at the boy in shock. "Uh...."

"Please Brookie!? Please!?" he cried, gripping a loose sleeve of her robe and looking at her with pleading eyes.

She looked over to Zack and Rian who were looking at each other. "Um, as long as you stay down stairs," she said, "and only if they want to stay over."

Zack's body had stiffened, she noticed. Rian looked worried, constantly glancing back and forth between Jack and Zack.

"I guess," Zack said, though he still looked uneasy.

Jack looked to Rian with his injured-puppy look. Rian sighed. "If you don't mind," he said looking to Brooklyn, "then I guess I'll stay."

She nodded then cleared her throat. "I-I should go change," she said awkwardly, pulling her robe tighter around her body. "The kitchen is open to anyone."

"Just don't cook any meat. She flips out," Jack said.

She shot the boy a dark glare as she made her way up the stairs. "Feel free to do whatever," she said to the two boys before disappearing up the remainder of the steps.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment!
Autumn&Alyshia