Head First Into Love

002

The meeting had already started by the time I had stumbled into the large, glass-walled room. I tried to be as silent as I could, but for someone as klutz-y as me, I wasn’t very successful. I sat in my usual spot close to the front and opened my folder. One of the co-workers, who I happened to be the closest with was giving a presentation on the article she was trying to pitch. Even though I came in late I could tell it was on something to do with Twilight, she was always covering the cast. I found it funny that the boy who had helped me and who became a victim of my usual morning Chai Tea, looked kind of like Jasper from Twilight, I couldn’t though, for the life of me, remember what the actors name was.

Georgina finished with her presentation, everyone clapped, and the director of the magazine, Grace, took her place at the front of the room to voice her opinions on the article.

“Lovely, not unique at all, but it’s fairly lovely and will definitely bring us more publicity. Everyone loves the Twilight craze lately, I can’t understand why; the only hot one in the entire cast is that Kellan guy and the other brother, although Rob is just, ugh.” My nasal voiced employer explained. “Kat, you’re up next, let’s see what you have to offer us this month.” I smiled, grabbed the CD from my folder and walked up and put it in the DVD device.

Images from back in the 80’s flashed across the screen, “the world of fashion, electronics, music, and even people itself, has evolved greatly in the past twenty something years.” I began, upon pressing the button of the slideshow pictures of present day items danced across the projectors screen. “This month I will be taking a look into what all has changed, from science, to the high fashion industry.” I breathed a deep breath and continued, “It will be either a couple pages in this month’s issue, or it will continue to be over a few months in total. It all depends on the amount of information that I can find on the subject. Either way, it should be a hit.” I finished, and the slideshow came to an end. The crowd, consisting of my fellow workers, applauded and I took my seat and let Grace take the front of the room once again.

“Oh, I love it! I absolutely loved it; that was amazing, you can take as many pages, or as many months as you would like. Francine, you can show us your ideas.” Francine was literally my rival. Everything about her screamed copy cat and fake. She lived for using old ideas or stealing those from other people. She gave me a dirty look as she got up from her seat and walked to the front, she had always hated me. We all had our suspicions to the fact that it was most likely because Grace was so prone to liking my ideas above everyone else’s, and that it was rumoured that Francine was going to be demoted so that I could take her place.

Francine’s slide consisted of make-up ads, and testing them to see which ones worked and which didn’t. Everyone applauded when she finished and since I had been running late, I missed the first five presentations, good thing too, I did not want to sit through another one for much longer. As soon as Francine pronounced the meeting adjourned I rose, grabbed my folders and hurried towards my discreet corner office.

For someone in working on a magazine, having an office as nice as mine was a surprise. I would have settled with a cubicle really, but they insisted I work in a room with glass walls, three of these walls were frosted glass and the other was just plain transparent window glass. My office was furnished with a leather couch, a teacher-like desk, and a huge leather spinning chain. It was by far the messiest office in the building, and there were some pretty messy people that I worked with.

I had been in my office for about three hours, working away on my 80’s flashback article when there was a knock on my door.

“Miss. Beverly, there is somewhere here to see you.” The secretary Marcy announced from the other side of the door.

“Come in,” I called, sitting up from my slouching position and turning to face the door.

Marcy opened the door and let a young man in, a young man I recognized all too well.

“So, how ‘bout that coffee?”