Head First Into Love

003

I was speechless, I honestly didn’t think he would ever find me, and if he did, I didn’t think he would have literally wanted to go out for coffee. “How do you know where I work…,” I questioned, rising from behind the desk.

He looked like he was rummaging around in his head for an answer until he spoke, “I remembered that this was the building you walked into this morning. I thought that there was a good possibility that you were still here, if not, then I guess I would have been out of luck.” His southern voice sounded confident, like he knew absolutely what he was saying.

“Well, that’s… sweet, I guess.” I rolled my eyes at the unlikelihood of the events that were happening.

“So, are we going to go have that coffee… or not?” He asked, looking up at me with sincere eyes.

I sighed, grabbing my purse and jacket. His face lit up like a kid at Christmas when he realized that I had decided to take my lunch break and go out and have a coffee with him.

We walked down the few stairs there was leading to the elevator and once inside, pressed the button to go to the main floor. There were two other people in the small elevator, one a tall business man with a terrible sneezing problem, the other a small older woman with curly red hair and faint wrinkles who breathed quite heavily. Jackson and I just stood there awkwardly trying not to get caught in the line of fire from the business man’s sneezes.

Once free of the elevator, and the building, we stepped onto the bustling street and stopped to turn to each other. “So, where now?” I asked, looking around for any sign of a café.

“I know this little place just down the street, we could go there.” He offered; pointing in the direction we would be heading. Sure enough there was a little store with a coffee cup in the double wide window. I chuckled and motioned for him to go ahead of me.

Once inside we sat next to the window and a small thirty something year old came over to take our orders. I ordered a Chai Tea and a chicken noodle soup, while the Jackson guy ordered a coffee and a chocolate chip muffin. I smirked at his choice of beverage and snack that was exactly what I would have picked if I was writing at home. The waitress smiled and said she would be right back with our order.

“So, Kat, what are your hobbies?” Jackson asked in a small voice, obviously trying to make small talk.

“Uh, nothing out of the ordinary. Reading, writing, listening to music, watching movies, you know usual people stuff. I actually kind of have a novel on the way…” I blushed, barely anyone knew about my novel. “What about you?” I asked out of kindness, not like I really gave a damn.

“I, well, I like to play guitar, and sing. I’m actually in a band, the 100 Monkeys. I like acting too; it’s actually kind of my profession.” He looked down and blushed. The waitress came then and placed our meal on the small table and walked away.

“Oh, I see, that’s pretty cool.” I mumbled while taking a sip of my tea.

“Yeah, so what’s your story about?” He inquired, looking up at me through his eyelashes. I don’t think I would ever be able to get the image of his perfect green eyes out of my mind.

“Well, there is a girl who is extremely beautiful and lively but she’s an outcast and an orphan until one day her parents come back for her. Except her parents happen to be extremely famous, and after attempting to live the famous life she would rather be the orphan outcast than the loved and adored by everyone.” I muttered, avoiding eye contact with him and finishing my bowl of delicious soup.

“Sounds nice,” he replied, showing his white teeth in a giant smile.

“Sure, it’s really not that great; I highly doubt it will even ever be published.” I muttered.

“Oh, don’t say that, I’m sure it will go places, extreme places.” He laughed and waved his hand, signaling the waitress to bring him the cheque.

I reached around the chair and grabbed my purse, pulling it around and setting it on the table I reached in and pulled out a ten dollar bill. “Here, this should cover my half of lunch.” He just raised an eyebrow and refused to take the money.

“No, I took you out for a coffee, which means I’m paying for that coffee, and of course the soup, you can’t forget the soup.” He chuckled and pulled out a twenty dollar bill to hand to the waitress that I found out was named Claire.

“Well, how about tomorrow I treat you to a coffee, same time. You can even come pick me up from work.” I smiled and stood up to leave, he stuck out his hand and when I placed mine in his he shook it firmly.

“It’s been another pleasure, of course. I’ll come get you, same time, and same place.” We smiled at Claire, the waitress, and left to go live our lives the way they were before the lunch ever happened.