Head First Into Love

004

The walk back to the building was quiet, Jackson bid me farewell and turned, leaving me to walk back the rest of the way, alone, not like it was a far distance to travel, but I would have much more enjoyed some company rather than walking all the way alone. Once I got inside the busy main lobby, Marcy announced to me that there was a young woman waiting for me in my office. This must be the young lady coming to inquire about the wanted assistant that I was looking for, I thought, smiling. I made my way through the crowded main room that housed the cubicles and made my way to my office. I opened my door to see a small young woman, around her late teens or early twenties sitting in the chair opposite mine behind the desk. She half smiled when I walked in but said “Hello,” first.

“Hello and you must be...?” I asked, not knowing the name of the small woman.

“Yeah, um, I’m Rose, like the flower, but a girl. I saw your ad in the magazine and I would love a job here, with you, you are such a creative person.” She blushed, obviously thinking she’s talking too much. I could tell that the two of us would get along great.

“Okay, well Rose, I’m Kat, but you already know that. Why do you want this job?”

“I want this job for the development of my ability to create worthy ideas and to be a part, no matter how slight, in creating the magazine. It has been my dream for most of my life to work closely on the editing of a magazine, especially one this famous.” She fidgeted, playing with her hands and flipping her hair back behind her shoulders.

“I see,” I smiled sweetly, “well, I’m sure you can do it, but mostly what the assistant does is assists me in finding sources, brings my coffee, goes on supply runs, it’s a very busy job, but if you are sure you can handle it, then you can come in tomorrow at eight-thirty for a trail run.” A huge smile lit her face, but I continued, “that does not mean you got the job, just that you’re getting a chance to prove that you can do it or not.”

“Oh, thank you, thank you, and thank you!” She exclaimed, standing up and grabbing her coat and purse. “I appreciate this very much; I look forward to proving I can be of help.” She left the room, turning to close the door very quietly.

I sighed, turning to my laptop and flipping it open. There was nothing really for me to do at the moment, so I opened the word processor and began typing away at my novel. I was only a couple chapters in, but for some reason I couldn’t seem to think of another plot. So I opened a blank page and started something new.

The warm water reflected the sun perfectly onto her hazel eyes as she looked out over the calm ocean. He’s never coming back, she thought to herself as the ship drifted over the water towards the horizon. The man I love so dearly is never coming back and there is nothing I can do about it. Paige walked back over the rocky hillside to the highway where her shiny new convertible was parked. Her scarf was blowing in the wind as she opened the door and sat inside. She wanted so badly to cry, but the tears wouldn’t come. She was upset, but not as much as she should be. Maybe it was her subconscious, not allowing her to cry because she honestly doesn’t believe he won’t come back. On the surface she would rather believe he never was, and just move on. But it was her subconscious telling her they were both strong enough to withstand the distance and the battle of the war and fight against the fact that they John might not come home. He had to, he was obligated.

I sighed at the work I had come up with; it was the perfect starting to a love story. Of course, the chapter would have to be longer, but it will get there, eventually. I was deep in thought of how to continue when I was interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Come in,” I called, quickly tidying my desk a little.

The figure stepped into the room and I noticed it was Francine. She had a grin on her naturally scrunched up face and without being invited she took a seat in the leather couch in front of my desk. “So, how’s it going?” She asked, acting like she cared.

“Why do you care?” I snapped back, flipping out my cell phone and pressing the record button. Wouldn’t the boss love to hear what Francine says to me sometimes. Cell phones are a lovely device.

“Well, because I just stopped a young lady almost jumping for joy in the hallway and asked her what was so exciting. She told me you were giving her a trail run for being your assistant tomorrow morning; I let her know we can’t have assistants and told her not to bother.” She smirked, looking down at her hands, “I just thought I would let you know, you know, so you weren’t like waiting for her to show up, wasting your time and what not.” She saw the look on my face and chuckled, “anyway, I should go, I hope you have a great day!” She got up, and smiled, waving her hand slightly before opening and closing the door.

This was ridiculous, she knew for a fact we could have assistants, she had one herself. I saved the recorded conversation and got up from behind my desk, heading for the door. I stepped out into the bright fluorescents of the main working station. Grace’s head office was at the back of the long room, which I was close too, so it wasn’t that far of a walk. I knocked, was invited in and sat down in one of the roomy armchairs in front of her spacious desk.

“How may I help you, Kat?” Grace asked, looking up from behind her glasses.

“I want you to listen to a conversation I had with a fellow employee, her nasal voice should give it away at once, but listen to what she says and tell me what you would do in my situation.” I smirked, pressing play on the small silver cell phone.

Well, because I just stopped a young lady almost jumping for joy in the hallway and asked her what was so exciting. She told me you were giving her a trail run for being your assistant tomorrow morning; I let her know we can’t have assistants and told her not to bother. I just thought I would let you know, you know, so you weren’t like waiting for her to show up, wasting your time and what not. Anyway, I should go, I hope you have a great day! Rang out through the room, causing Grace to look horrified and begin to pick up the phone that was connected to Francine’s office in a push of one button. I could hear Francine pick up with a “Hello,” and Grace smiled at me before she began talking.

“Francine, clean out your office; you’ve officially been fired.” I smirked at my triumph. Sure it was mean to get someone fired, but come on, she deserved every second of the misery she’s going to have. It’s ridiculous how cynical she could be. Francine began to protest but Grace hung up the phone and turned back to me. “There, that should solve all your problems. Now shoot, I’m sure you have a big article to work on.” She winked and motioned with her hand for me to leave the room.

I bustled back to my office, trying not to notice the evil glares that were being shot at me from Francine and her assistant, Martha. Once back in my office I sat behind the desk and began writing again, only to be interrupted once more.