Head First Into Love

005

“I know you’re in there,” the nasal voiced woman called from the other side of the door. “Open up,” she hissed.

“I’m busy,” I called, “come back later.”

“I don’t have a later, open the god damn door you little bitch.”

“Excuse me, I’m sure the security guard would love to know how you’re talking to the staff here.” I smirked, thankful she couldn’t see my face.

“Either come unlock the fucking door or I’ll beat it down myself.” She warned, getting angrier but still trying to maintain her low voice.

“I guess you’ll just have to break it down, won’t you?” I taunted, getting up quietly to get to the door just in time to unlock it and have her launch herself into the room one foot ahead of the rest of her body. “Someone’s graceful,” I scoffed before sitting down again.

She just stood there fuming before she headed back towards the door to close it and relock it. “Listen here you stupid little fuck, you’ll get it in the end. Karma’s a fucking bitch and she’s coming for you!”

I simply looked at her with raised eyebrows and a speculating smile on my face. “Coming for me? You’re the one who just turned the assistant that I was going to hire away, for no reason. You made up lies and told them to our co-workers, and why? All because you could?”

“Ugh, you’re such a pain in the ass,” she complained, slightly raising her voice, causing her face to become a shade redder than normal.

“Yeah, well, I do what I can.” I smiled one of those smiles that usually meant ‘yeah, well fuck you too.’ “Is there anything else I can help you with?” I added with a little too much sweet bitchiness.

“Yeah,” she said, as she walked back towards the door. “Go fuck yourself.”

She stepped out of the room and slammed the door behind her, causing the glass to rattle and within seconds phones were going off like crazy. Obviously people were trying to find out what had happened. I decided to make a phone call of my own.

“This is Grace, how may I help you?” My boss asked in an irritated tone.

“Sorry to bother you again, its Kat. Uh, I was wondering if I could leave early today, I’m not feeling well.” I frantically racked my brain for excuses, “and I was hoping to do some shopping at some cute eighties stores I found downtown.” I knew that if she thought I was doing work at home, she would let me leave in an instant, and it turns out I was correct.

“Oh, of course, my dear. I would also like to thank you, for the tip on Francine; it definitely gave me some insight to her real personality. She was such a fake. But, take care, feel better, bah-bye now.” She hung up the phone and I grabbed my coat, purse and any other things I needed to take with me, before heading out the door and stopping to talk to Marcy.

“You can go home, Hun, I’ve got the rest of the day off to do some shopping for my article. Oh, wait a second, you should come with me, if you don’t have any plans, I would love the extra company.” I offered, knowing that unless she had plans that she would most likely join me.

“That sounds lovely, let me just call Tim and let him know that I might be a little late for dinner tonight. I need to go shopping this afternoon, so we can go do whatever you need to do and then hit the farmers market a little ways outside of the city, and then you could come over for dinner, if you’d like.” She rambled before picking up the phone and dialing her husbands cell phone number. They chatted for a few short minutes before they exchanged their ‘I love you’ and we were on our way.

“So, what is your article about?” She questioned once we had gotten in her small, red truck.

“Well, it’s mainly a flashback to the eighties, with a tad bit of a look at life now. I want to go shop around for some clothes and there’s this really great store downtown that is totally devoted to that decade, so I’ll probably do a short interview with them to do with business and things like that. Mostly just finding out if there is still a lot of people stuck in that time frame of their life.”

“Oh, that sounds neat, did Grace give you the ‘go ahead’ for the idea? Or are you getting everything together and then presenting it to her?” She inquired, before she asked me for the directions and typed them into her GPS system once I gave them to her.

“I already presented it at the meeting this morning, and she said she loved it. She gave me the okay and told me to take however long I wanted on it and it could last throughout however many issues I wanted, which is good, because I don’t think I’ll be able to fit it all in one issue, unless I wanted to use the entire magazine for the one article.”

“Oh, that’s sweet, I’m sure I have some eighties clothes buried somewhere in one of my closets, if you want we can dig through it tomorrow after work, or during work, since you seem to be really good at getting us off early.” She chuckled, “I loved the eighties, they were some of the best years of my life.”

“I was just a little baby in the eighties, well, not a baby, but I was little. My sixth birthday was on July twenty third, nineteen ninety.”

“Oh, so you’re birthday is in four days!?” She half questioned, half exclaimed. She was almost ten years older than me, so she would have definitely remembered the aforementioned decade.

“Yeah, I’m not doing anything special for it though, just going home, having a few drinks, just going to kick back. You already know that I’m kind of a homebody, more than I’m a party girl.” The GPS voice directed her to make a left turn, and she turned down the correct street to find that we were already at the store we had planned to go to. The GPS shut off and Marcy parked the truck before shutting it off and opening her door.

The store was as small as a jewelry store in the middle of a small mall. There were racks of Swatch watches, vibrant colored clothing that looked like they could be everything from leg warmers to too big shirts. It was like a kid locked in a Toys’R’Us overnight with no supervision. The two of us went crazy, trying on different shoes, and mixes of colorful clothes, ogling over a variety of age-old Swatch watches. We spent hours taking pictures, taking to the cashiers and dressing room assistants. Neither of us wanted to leave, but by the time we left we just barely made it to the farmers market before it closed. Marcy ran in to grab some fruits and vegetables while I just sat in the vehicle. I rummaged through the bags we had gotten at the eighties store until I found a blue and pink neon Swatch watch, and a mix eighties CD. I put the CD in the stereo and the first song that played was ‘I Wear My Sunglasses At Night’ by Corey Hart. I loved this song, and I knew all the words so I began to sing along while I placed the watch on my wrist and fastened it in place at the back. I kept looking through the bags until I came across a pair of sunglasses that was way to big for my face. I put them in place on my nose and pulled out my camera. With the watch in complete view I took a picture. I was startled when Marcy opened the truck door and placed the bags inside before getting in herself, because I had been so lost in my own little world.

“Holy, someone’s outdated,” she joked before starting the truck and pulling away.

“Oh, shut up, I was enjoying myself.” I retorted, before adding, “What’s for dinner, anyway?”

“Whatever Tim decided to make,” she grinned and we took off towards her house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, hope you like it. Comments?

The people so far look like:
[x] Kat
[x] Marcy