‹ Prequel: The Bird and the Worm
Status: I'm not sure if I'll be able to update this story again, considering Jimmy was crucial in the story and it just doesn't feel right to write about him at the moment. Just an fyi for anyone that still takes a glance at it.

Beyond the Sun

two; promises

“I can’t believe it took you almost a year to plan a wedding, Byrdie,” Vengeance said as he glanced from me to Brian, grinning and laughing. “I mean, it took you like…five seconds…to get married in Vegas.”

“There is in fact a difference between getting married in front of friends and getting married in front of family, Zack.” He raised an eyebrow. “What does it matter, anyway?” He smiled, nudging Gina with his shoulder. She grinned, biting her lip, and lifted her left hand, which was laced into Vengeance’s. “Oh you didn’t. Gina Hayes, you did not.”

“When did this happen, man?” Brian asked, sounding as surprised as I was. “How did you get the-“

“Balls to ask her?” He flashed a smile, sliding his arm around Gina’s shoulder, tugging her closer. “Same way you did, man. Took her out for a nice dinner, took her to that Blue Nile place you were shitting over, and asked her right there in the store if she’d marry me.”

Gina grinned, looking over at him. “He even got down on one knee and everything.” She bit her lip, looking into his eyes, and then he leaned in and touched his lips to her forehead so lovingly that it made my heart twist a little in my chest. “I was so surprised, and we didn’t tell you because it was the week before the wedding and you had enough on your plate.” She smiled back over at me.

“I’m just happy to see you happy, Gina,” I told her, and then she pulled me into an awkward hug that was only awkward because Brian didn’t let go of my hand. “Jeez, how many weddings do we have to plan, huh?” She laughed. “Alright, well, we should probably go in before the…” I heard the intro music start, and I rolled my eyes, letting Brian pull me back to his side. “Oh never mind,” I mumbled, leaning against him, and he chuckled, kissing the top of my head.

Everybody lined up, and Vengeance turned his head over his shoulder to grin at me. “You can thank me later, by the way.” He flashed a smile once more, and then the line was, one by one, introduced to our guests. I was going to kill him.

“And now, I have the extreme pleasure of introducing Mr. and Mrs. Brian Haner! Ladies, gents, and small children, please give our newlyweds a warm welcome.”

People stood up and applauded, cheering and laughing and watching us as we walked to our seats, right in front of the entire party. Brian gave my hand a supportive squeeze, and he looked over at me with the most adorable lopsided grin I’d ever seen. People clanged their silverware on their glasses, and he wiggled his eyebrows as I leaned over to him and touched my lips to his. Even though we weren’t exactly newlyweds, since we’d been married for over a year now, I felt the same way I’d felt in Vegas- there was a thrill of knowing that he wanted to spend his life as my husband that powered my body rather than the blood that pumped through my veins.

“I love you,” he said softly, and he leaned in for another one.

Beside him, Jimmy stood up and gently tapped his fork against his glass. The DJ handed him a mike, and he set the glass down. “These two people epitomize what the average person calls eternal love. Nowhere else will you meet a man that wakes up at two in the morning when his girl is having trouble sleeping, and never will you find a man who will spend hours singing her to sleep. Brian Haner and his girl, his wife, have got to be the most important part of each other’s lives, and I must say that I envy them for that.

“Brian here, sap that he is, has come home from the studio with flowers, and he’s waited up for her when she’s coming home from the studio with a readymade dinner. “ He paused to smile down at us. “Nowhere else will you find a better match for my best friend. Heather taught Brian how to laugh again, how to enjoy himself again, and how to be positive again. I have never seen someone who affects Brian the way this girl does, and man…how she affects him.” He smiled down at me this time, and I blew him a kiss.

He caught it and put it to his cheek.

“I grew up with Brian. I’ve known him since we were three years old. I know his secrets, and I could probably tell you every crush he’s ever had, and which one of those he’s ever acted upon. Heather, however, I have only known since a certain video contest was started,” there was a fair amount of chortling in the audience, “and I feel as though I know her almost as well.”

Brian gave my hand another squeeze, kissing my cheek.

“To Brian and Heather…I hope you two stay happy together, because lord knows you deserve it.”

He raised his glass, and then he sat back down, handing the mike off to Gina. I smiled up at her as she rose, and she smiled down at me and Brian, watching the way he was probably watching me. “In her vows tonight, Heather mentioned Brian’s music and how it kept her sane. That is certainly no lie, and even now, he has come up with music that can make her weak at her knees.” She smiled softly. “But that’s okay, because for five months straight, he was away on tour, and all I heard about was Brian Haner. I mean, I felt like I was in a relationship with the guy, and I’d never even met him.”

Brian laughed beside me, and I peered over at him. He simply gave me that lopsided grin and then willed me to look back at Gina. When I did, there was a small tear falling down her face.

“I didn’t go to public school with her…lord knows we would have gotten in much more trouble together if I had, but I’ve shared a dorm with this girl since the start of college, and I’ll tell ya. We’re like sisters. No…better than sisters. Sure we bicker and have moments where we can’t stand each other, but Heather and I have done so many things together that I’d marry her myself if Brian hadn’t beaten me to it.” She winked at me, and everybody laughed. “I guess that what I’m trying to say is what Jimmy said. You deserve happiness, and I’m glad that you have someone like Brian, Heather, because he is the kind of man that will treat you right for life.”

“Thanks, Gina,” I whispered, and she threw another wink in my direction before passing the mike back to the DJ, settling back into her seat. “I love you, girl.”

She smiled and reached for my hand. “I love you too. But pay attention to your husband, alright? You don’t want him to feel too...abandoned.”

I gave Brian’s hand a squeeze. “I doubt he could feel any less abandoned right now, Gina. I think he’s on top of the world right now.” I glanced over at him, and he turned his head to look at me, laughing softly at something Jimmy had said to him, his lips separated in a delicious smile. “I think I might be, too.” He ran his thumb over my wedding ring, kissing my forehead.

When I glanced back at Gina, there was a different expression on her face- she was smiling softly, and her hands were folded in her lap. I’d never seen her look so gentle. “And there it is,” she said.

“There what is?” I asked her.

“You’re a woman now,” she said, and I pulled my hand from Brian’s so that I could wrap my arms around Gina, hugging her tightly. “Now don’t be crying, you, you’ll mess up the makeup that took you forever.” She tucked a strand of my hair out of my face. “God, I’m just so glad you met a guy that didn’t fuck you over.”

“Fuck me over as in get me pregnant, promise to marry me, and then leave before the wedding?” She nodded. “Brian’s not that kind of person. He’s too…”

“God damn perfect,” she said in a mock frustrated tone. “I mean, I can’t even find any flaws in the guy.” As we spoke, his hand was finding mine once more, his fingers deftly sliding between mine. “I mean…does he have any flaws?” I laughed at her. “And being enormously endowed does not count,” she pointed out.

“Damn. You’ve got me foiled.” She laughed, raising her eyebrow. “Alright, alright….flaws with Brian….oh.” She looked expectant. “He won’t go buy me tampons past midnight.”

She covered her mouth the mask the burst of laughter that erupted from her lips. “That’s all?” she asked, trying not to let her laughter mask her words. “Time limit on tampons?” I laughed at her. “Zackary, the hot little shit, won’t go after eight at night, and Brian will go until midnight? Jesus, Heather…you married a treasure, all right.”

“What did I do?” Vengeance asked, leaning back. “I heard my name…are you talking about the ring again?” Gina shook her head. “Oh fuck. Don’t tell me you’re telling her….aw hell. Thanks babe. Love you too.”

She giggled. “I love you more, baby.”

I could see him nod his head, and I could just picture him rolling his eyes.

“Fucking midnight,” she murmured, astounded, as she turned in her seat. “God damn fucking midnight…”

I couldn’t help but laugh at her, and as I turned in my seat, I let my gaze sweep over the people that had come to share this night with Brian and I. They were all laughing at each other’s jokes, having a good time, not minding the fact that the wedding they’d just witnessed had been for two people that had uttered the same binding words over a year before in a chapel in Las Vegas.

My cousin, who was only a few years older than me, coddled her baby in her arms as she used her free hand to snack at some of the things on her plate, and I gave Brian’s hand a squeeze as he looked over at me, a smile on his face and his eyebrow raised curiously. I bit my lip, and he glanced over at what I’d just seen. “Cute,” he commented, not really sure what I expected him to think or say. “Real cute…she’s your…”

“Cousin, love,” I told him gently, and he smiled.

“Cousin. Right. So…what’s the deal with that little gleam in your eye, eh?” he teased, bringing my hand to his lips and kissing it softly. “Trying to tell me something, Mrs. Haner?”
I blushed a little and thought about looking away from him.

“Oh. Well.” He chuckled a little, touching my face. “It’s not like we’re actually newlyweds, so if that’s what you want, then…I guess we could try.” He flashed my favorite smile. “Not to say that I don’t want it, too.”

I blinked at him. “You do?” I asked quietly.

He nodded, grinning sheepishly. “Yeah. I do.” He bit his lip, glancing down at my lips, and then he sighed. “Do we have to wait until they start clanging their glasses again?” I shook my head. “Good.” He laughed a little at himself, and then he leaned in and pressed his lips to mine in an effortless kiss. Immediately pacified as always, I sighed softly against his lips and smiled a little as he nipped at my bottom lip before pulling away, proving that he was always up for putting on a show. “You’re absolutely beautiful tonight,” he said, gazing into my eyes and tucking a strand of my hair away. “I thought I’d say it before I had to ask if I did.” He gave a half-smile, and I pulled him into a soft kiss that didn’t last very long.

And despite the fact that we very calmly rose to get our food, my heart was pounding inside my chest.